• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sandstorm Team [DP - Competitive(?) Battle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armads

Professional Asshole
Reaction score
This one's a team I made for fun since some friends of mine were also making weather-based teams. ^_^ The theme here is Sandstorm.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 128 HP, 254 Atk, 128 Def
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang

Opens up the battle with a bang with Sand Stream. Basic STAB moves are Stone Edge and Crunch, and Earthquake is classic. Fire Fang is to counter a few of its weaknesses, namely Grass, Bug, and Steel.

Aerodactyl @ Scope Lens
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
~ Rock Slide
~ Aerial Ace
~ Ice Fang
~ Pursuit

Most of the team is (ironically) weak to Ground, so Aero's one of the Anti-Quake weapons. Basic Physical sweeper set with STAB moves Rock Slide and Aerial Ace, and Ice Fang to counter the Ground-types.

Gliscor @ Razor Fang/Razor Claw
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Atk, 128 Def, 128 Spd
~ Earthquake
~ Aerial Ace
~ Ice Fang
~ Sandstorm

Serves largely the same purpose as Aerodactyl, but is better tailored against Fighting-types. He's a toned-down Physical sweeper, given some Defense to guard against Fighters that can bully Tyranitar, Lucario, and Magnezone. It's also immune to Ground, and packs Ice Fang to counter it. Also has Sandstorm as a support move.

Lucario @ Expert Belt
Nature: Mild
EVs: 128 Atk, 128 SAtk, 252 Spd
~ Aura Sphere
~ Shadow Ball
~ Blaze Kick
~ Sky Uppercut

Lucario here plays the role of Mixed sweeper, starting with the famous Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball combo for nearly unresisted type coverage. Blaze Kick and Sky Uppercut are his Physical assault, and he comes equipped with an Expert Belt until I get my hands on a Choice Scarf. Which likely won't be for a while. >_>

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 128 HP, 128 Atk, 252 SAtk
~ Stone Edge
~ Lava Plume
~ Earth Power
~ Stealth Rock

Supposed to be Special-centered, but I can't find a Special Rock move so I'm trying the standard Stone Edge (since he doesn't get STAB for Rock, I'm choosing this over Rock Slide). Solid Rock Ability helps him a ton in guarding against weaknesses, particularly Water (and a Nature to hopefully bolster that some more). Stealth Rock complements the Sandstorm damage to also affect opponents as they're switching in, and Lava Plume and Earth Power are his choice STAB moves.

Magnezone @ Wise Glasses
Nature: Timid
EVs: 128 Def, 252 SAtk, 128 SDef
~ Thunderbolt
~ Tri Attack
~ Magnet Rise
~ Thunder Wave

Plays a defensive role, but also capable of offense. Timid nature is intended to help his lacking Speed, but he well makes up for it in Special Attack. Thunder Wave wins with instant paralysis, and Tri Attack carries is fun, fun variable status ailments. Carries Thunderbolt for a basic STAB move, and Magnet Rise to protect from monstrous Earthquakes.

First of all, I can't stress enough how a Sand Storm team does not need everyone to be immune to Sand storm. Infact, doing so has left you weak to Infernape, Electivire, and Starmie to name a few pokemon.

A counter by definition is a Pokemon who can switch in and threaten to be able to defeat the Pokemon ti is countering, or force it to switch out.

This one's a team I made for fun since some friends of mine were also making weather-based teams. ^_^ The theme here is Sandstorm.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
EVs: 128 HP, 254 Atk, 128 Def
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang

Opens up the battle with a bang with Sand Stream. Basic STAB moves are Stone Edge and Crunch, and Earthquake is classic. Fire Fang is to counter a few of its weaknesses, namely Grass, Bug, and Steel.

An expert belt would not benefit Tyranitar in anyway possible. I also find the best Tyranitar to be Tyranniboah.

Tyranitar @Leftovers
Quiet Nature
EVs: 252 HP/ 60 Atk/ 168 SAtk/ 28 Spe
-Dark Pulse
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Some people always jsut assumes Tyranitar is goign to be physical. This guy, a common set destroys most of its physical counters, and can even hide behind a substitute to protect it from status.

Aerodactyl @ Scope Lens
~ Rock Slide
~ Aerial Ace
~ Ice Fang
~ Pursuit

Most of the team is (ironically) weak to Ground, so Aero's one of the Anti-Quake weapons. Basic Physical sweeper set with STAB moves Rock Slide and Aerial Ace, and Ice Fang to counter the Ground-types.

Not sure if you're playing Item Clause. Though people may say not to use "hax" items because they are banned (which they're usually not) or their frowned upon (which they usually are), think of it this way, it has a ten percent chance of being useful, and a 90 percent chance of doing nothing.

Gliscor @ Razor Fang/Razor Claw
EVs: 252 Atk, 128 Def, 128 Spd
~ Earthquake
~ Aerial Ace
~ Ice Fang
~ Sandstorm

Serves largely the same purpose as Aerodactyl, but is better tailored against Fighting-types. He's a toned-down Physical sweeper, given some Defense to guard against Fighters that can bully Tyranitar, Lucario, and Magnezone. It's also immune to Ground, and packs Ice Fang to counter it. Also has Sandstorm as a support move.

You have too many sweepers already, why are you trying tot run a wall into one?

Glsicor @Leftovers
Impish nature
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace/Stone Edge
-Roost
-Knock Off

Can't remember the EV spread I used for this so I'll get back to you on that. This thing serves two purposes, make the user's held item useless, and a general wall that Heracross is afraid of. It cana lso get non-ice beam Tyranitar, but that's why I won't put a spread until i remember the right one for it. It has some speed on it....

Remember, you don't need to have everyoe resistant to sand stream

I suggested this Gliscor set to another person in the RMT thread:

Gliscor's perk is his incredible physical walling capabilities, as well as being the only reliable Heracross counter.

Gliscor@Leftovers
Sand Veil
Impish
244 HP/252 Def/12 Spd
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Aerial Ace
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

This is the usual Gliscor moveset. Earthquake is always a good move, especially when it gets STAB. Both Ice Fang and Stone Edge offer great coverage paired with Earthquake, while Aerial Ace gives you a second STAB move and allows you to threaten any Heracross and Breloom you switch in to. Stealth Rock is a usual staple on Gliscor, but can easily be dropped for another attack or support move, such as Knock Off and Taunt. Roost is you reliable recovery move, and can turn your 4X Ice weakness to a 2X weakness.

244 HP EVs puts your HP at 352, Gliscor's highest Leftovers number, and 252 Def EVs maximizes Gliscor's walling capabilities. The extra EVs are put into Spd to outpace other Gliscors who might run 252 HP/252 Def.

Honestly, if you're going to let Gliscor's 125 base Def go to waste in exchange for sweeping power, might as well go with Garchomp.

Outrage: Well Gliscor outpaces neutral Spd Tyranitar without any EV investment, but it would need 72 Spd EVs if it wants to outpace + Spd Tyranitar.

Not sure if you're playing Item Clause. Though people may say not to use "hax" items because they are banned (which they're usually not) or their frowned upon (which they usually are), think of it this way, it has a ten percent chance of being useful, and a 90 percent chance of doing nothing.

This isn't exactly clear... but are you saying the Scope Lens isn't that effective?

You have too many sweepers already, why are you trying to turn a wall into one?

Gliscor @Leftovers
Impish nature
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace/Stone Edge
-Roost
-Knock Off

Can't remember the EV spread I used for this so I'll get back to you on that. This thing serves two purposes, make the user's held item useless, and a general wall that Heracross is afraid of. It can also get non-ice beam Tyranitar, but that's why I won't put a spread until i remember the right one for it. It has some speed on it....

He's not meant to be a true sweeper, but I see what you're saying because his purpose isn't specifically defensive. He gets the Fighting resistance to switch in against whatever might threaten Tyranitar (particularly Fighters), and needs some power to be able to damage whatever that threat was.

First of all, I can't stress enough how a Sand Storm team does not need everyone to be immune to Sand storm. In fact, doing so has left you weak to Infernape, Electivire, and Starmie to name a few pokemon.

Any suggestions as to what "unresisting" pokemon I should use? If I do have too many sweepers, I guess I could survive by dropping (at least) one.

EDIT:
Gliscor@Leftovers
Sand Veil
Impish
244 HP/252 Def/12 Spd
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Aerial Ace
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

I like this (bolded Aerial Ace as it is my preferred move), but if Gliscor's going to be a support pokemon, I want to put Knock Off on there somewhere. What if I dropped Stealth Rock for it?

Last edited:
So as for the EV spread, it wuld be 252 HP/72 Spe, and whatever is left into Defense for Glsicor. Thanks Mukubird.

This isn't exactly clear... but are you saying the Scope Lens isn't that effective?

Yes.

He's not meant to be a true sweeper, but I see what you're saying because his purpose isn't specifically defensive. He gets the Fighting resistance to switch in against whatever might threaten Tyranitar (particularly Fighters), and needs some power to be able to damage whatever that threat was.

Fighters that will threaten Tyranitar are Machamp, who usually carries Ice Punch, Breloom, who hopefully you can switch into without being slept, and Hariyama, who is defensive enough himself that he won't care about your attack EVs (same with Machamp).

There's also Lucario but the special varients are a bit harder for Gliscor, and that's why I suggested using Tyraniboah.

Any suggestions as to what "unresisting" pokemon I should use? If I do have too many sweepers, I guess I could survive by dropping (at least) one.

Cresselia gets rid of Infernape and Electivire.

Ok, how about Focus Sash? (If Aerodactyl is kept; see below.)

Fighters that will threaten Tyranitar are Machamp, who usually carries Ice Punch, Breloom, who hopefully you can switch into without being slept, and Hariyama, who is defensive enough himself that he won't care about your attack EVs (same with Machamp).

There's also Lucario but the special varients are a bit harder for Gliscor, and that's why I suggested using Tyraniboah.

Hm. I feel like something Psychic could help with these. Should I use Cresselia or something more offensive? I think Cresselia would be fine because her resistance and defenses would allow her to switch in without getting hurt too badly, but my hunches tend to be wrong...

Cresselia gets rid of Infernape and Electivire.

Ooh, this is good. If memory serves my Cresselia is Bold-natured too. I'll check Smogon unless you have an idea off the top of your head. I'm thinking to get rid of Aerodactyl in favor of this, as Aero serves mostly the same purpose as Gliscor. >_>

Restalk Cresselia with Psychic should be used for your team. It would help with those fighting types that Tyranitar can't go against.

As for Focus Sash, its useful depending on the Pokemon it is used for, namely, those who can't really survive a hit.

Anyway, you may need a secondary Infernape counter since Cresselia will have trouble against Nastyplot versions. Aerodactyl atleast, provided a revenge kill against it if worse came to worse.

(Back from road trip.)

Okay, so the new candidates are:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP, 60 Atk, 168 SAtk, 28 Spd
~ Dark Pulse
~ Substitute
~ Focus Punch
~ Thunderbolt

Still opens with Sand Stream, but takes on a Special attacking role. Also has Substitute-Focus Punch combo for a certain pink mass of fatness.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
~ Rock Slide
~ Aerial Ace
~ Ice Fang
~ Pursuit

Gliscor @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP, 56 Atk, 252 Def, 72 Spd
~ Earthquake
~ Aerial Ace
~ Knock Off
~ Roost

Serves as a general Physical wall for the team, and still guards Tyranitar from Fighters with Aerial Ace. Has Earthquake for STAB and Knock Off to kill items.

Lucario @ Expert Belt
~ Aura Sphere
~ Shadow Ball
~ Blaze Kick
~ Sky Uppercut

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 128 HP, 128 Atk, 252 SAtk
~ Stone Edge
~ Lava Plume
~ Earth Power
~ Stealth Rock

Magnezone @ Wise Glasses
Nature: Timid
EVs: 128 Def, 252 SAtk, 128 SDef
~ Thunderbolt
~ Tri Attack
~ Magnet Rise
~ Thunder Wave

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 108 Def, 148 SDef
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Ice Beam
~ Psychic

With Sandstorm killing Moonlight, the alternative is the Rest-Sleep Talk combo. Packs Psychic to cover attackers that Gliscor fears, but all in all serves as a wall against more than just Fighters.

...Ok, problem number one, this is seven pokemon. Nobody's yet said anything about Lucario, Camerupt, or Magnezone, but I feel like I could live without one of these.

Lucario @ Expert Belt
~ Aura Sphere
~ Shadow Ball
~ Blaze Kick
~ Sky Uppercut
You could seriously consider naive or hasty over mild this way you will be faster than pokemon with base 100 spd (and garchomp) if they are'nt using an spd+ nature

I mentioned in the first post that the Expert Belt is temporary. I intend to change to a Choice Scarf when I get one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom