• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sapphire Vs. Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisleeee

Reaction score
Me and a group of my friends are playing competitively and we're about to move on to the next game. My question is: should I get sapphire or emerald. Please explain pros and cons to justify.
So far i see that the pickup ability suits me better on sapphire (rare candy is 10% as is nugget which helps training after i have ev trained) but emerald seems to have lots of advantages. Help?

Edit: No ubers are allowed and onlt one legendary is allowed in battle, if this changes anything

emerald
pros: more move tutors
more pokemon
more replay value

cons: longer to finish

sapphire

pros: shorter

cons: not as many pokemon
less replay value

More pokemon sounds good. I also like the berrie/block things that reduce evs. It seems helpful because your starter gets screwed on evs at the begining

More pokemon sounds good. I also like the berrie/block things that reduce evs. It seems helpful because your starter gets screwed on evs at the begining

yeah, but those berries are rare. It's easier to get a ditto, and breed a new starter with a good nature.

Emerald is the Third Version of the Hoenn games, so it's going to have more content then either Ruby or Saphire, such as the Battle Frontier. The only "con" I could think of for Emerald would be if it didn't have a Version Exclusive Pokemon that you really want.

Emerald. Really, there is no reason not to get it.

Emerald. More plot, the Move tutor, all three weather legendaries, Battle Frontier...
What more could you want?

Emerald was my introduction to Generation III, and I highly recommend it. Not only can you get nearly all of the generation's legendaries in one game, but the storyline is more engaging than any previous game, and the Battle Frontier is probably the best post-game scenario ever. Plus, Emerald also plays home to almost all of the Johto Pokémon you normally would have to trade over from Colosseum (you can find 'em in the Safari Zone after you beat the Elite Four).

Emerald. Unless you want Jirachi from the colo bonus disc, or have certian pokemon in sapphire you badly want, get emerald.

Definitely Emerald. There's more to do after the end credits (Battle Frontier). You also get to take on Teams Magma and Aqua at the same time.

Emerald. You get groudon AND kyogre. You can also get a ditto to breed Pokémon.

Emerald. It's Ruby + Sapphire combined :p

Emerald. You get groudon AND kyogre. You can also get a ditto to breed Pokémon.

So true.

I like Emerald so much better then I do Ruby and Sapphire. Besides the Groudon and Kyogre thing. I think the graphics are just a little bit better. And, there's a lot more of a storyline to it.

I'd suggest you buy Emerald. It is a blend of the story lines from both Ruby and Sapphire, except it is less 50-50 and more 60-40 to Sapphire. I like this idea, as it isn't great to have Magma's Hideout in a watery area. It is now in Mount Chimney, a fiery area (yes!!!) and Aqua's is in the same place it was in Sapphire. There are 386 Pokemon available in Emerald, and there were only 200 in Sapphire/Ruby. You can capture 194 of these in Emerald. The six you can't are: Meditite, Medicham, Surskit and Masquerain (gettable in either Ruby or Sapphire), Lunatone (in Sapphire), and Zangoose (in Ruby). Should you get all 200 of Ruby/Sapphire's 'Mon in Emerald and you unlock the National Dex and get the choice of a Chikorita, Cyndaquil or Totodile. The majority of the National Pokemon are only in FireRed and LeafGreen. There is also the Battle Frontier, which I just couldn't stop trying to get 70 points in each game. There are seven different games in the Frontier. I'd suggest you get Emerald and also LeafGreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Emerald has Battle Frontier - and you can battle Juan as the gym leader (he isn't in Sapphire), Wallace as champion (he is the gym leader in Sapphire), and Steven as a post-game hidden boss (champion in Sappire)

There's also the Blend Master which you can get Gold Pokeblocks for if you're interested in Contests. Plus, no berry glitch in Emerald :D

You can get Groudon AND Kyogre as well as Rayquazza. You also get to battle both bosses of Team Magma and Aqua, (Team Magma also has their separate hideout.) Steven tag-battles with you, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom