• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scary Fish's BW OU Team

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
Welcome to my first RMT under the name of Scary Fish. This time, on a whim, I decided to try a BW OU team, since some of the more ridiculous threats (Excadrill, Thundurus, Garchomp, etc.) are gone. Over semi-extensive testing on PO, this is what my team developed into.

205.gif

Caltropine
the Forretress

Relaxed / Leftovers / Sturdy
252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Sp. Defense

Gyro Ball
Volt Switch / Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin

If there's anything on my team that even comes close to a designated lead, this is it. This thing can Spin them Rocks away and lay some of its own, and thanks to the buffed Sturdy, it can take a Fire Blast from something like Infernape or Ninetales and get the Rocks up. Gyro Ball is a pretty cool STAB, since it relies on being slow to be powerful; it and Forretress go together like peanut butter and jelly. I'm using Volt Switch to trump U-turners by taking the switch advantage for myself, but I wonder if Earthquake would be better on this thing.

560.gif

Gangsta
the Scrafty

Careful / Leftovers / Shed Skin
252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 Sp. Defense

Drain Punch
Crunch
Bulk Up
Rest

This ghetto lizard epitomizes "badass", especially with this set. Against things like Ferrothorn, Forretress, Tentacruel, Blissey, and so much more, it easily finds opportunities to use Bulk Up, raising its Attack and Defense to frightening levels. By itself, it already has a pretty fearsome ability to take Special hits; Scarf Latios fails to kill it with Draco Meteor! Drain Punch is a very reliable STAB that also allows Scrafty to recover some lost health. which is crucial to its job. Aside from the uncommon Heracross and Toxicroak, what isn't hit neutrally by Drain Punch will be by Crunch, its other fearsome STAB. It destroys the likes of Gengar, Latios, and Reuniclus, and in some situations, a chance Defense drop can really come in handy. Rest completely heals Scrafty, and oftentimes, it wakes up early, sometimes even immediately, because of Shed Skin (which laughs at status in general).

373.gif

イカマンダ
(Ikamanda)

the Salamence

Jolly / Life Orb / Intimidate
252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed

Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Roost

My boosting sweeper. With a fearsome Attack, great Speed, Life Orb, Dragon Dance, and two attack moves that complement each other nicely, this thing can really clean up mid- or late-game. Dragon Claw is a reliable STAB that can take out opposing Dragons in particular, and Earthquake provides a powerful answer to most Steel-types. In some situations, Roost helps it get some HP back, what with Life Orb, sandstorm, and Stealth Rock wearing away at it.

635.gif

Ruination
the Hydreigon

Timid / Choice Scarf / Levitate
4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
U-turn
Focus Blast

Duly named. This thing can ruin. With a Scarf, its quick Draco Meteors will decimate threats left and right; opposing Dragons stand practically no chance once it gets to fire. Fire Blast nails Steel-types trying to resist DM, and Focus Blast destroys that which resists the first two moves: Heatran. Tyranitar also takes massive damage. U-turn is useful for maintaining offensive pressure by giving me the switch advantage.

212.gif

Coca-Cola
the Scizor

Adamant / Choice Band / Technician
184 HP / 252 Attack / 68 Speed

U-turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit

Hey, don't go hatin' on me for using Scizor. This thing is a sturdy tank that can get a quick, hard hit in, maintain offensive pressure, smash pink blobs and Steel-types, and catch fleeing Ghosts and Psychics. What's not to like? The Speed EVs allow it to outpace standard Skarmory, since metal birds at up to ~40% HP hate the thought of dying before Roost-trolling.

094.gif

Poltrgeist
the Gengar

Timid / Black Sludge / Levitate
4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute
Disable

Classic SubDisable Gengar. This thing can get the edge in a fight with Pokes like Conkeldurr and Gliscor, since they usually only have one move that can hurt it (or at least break its Subs). Substitute is Substitute, that wonderful move that trolls status users like Blissey. Shadow Ball is Gengar's STAB, and Focus Blast completes its neutral coverage, though the accuracy's unnerving. I threw in Black Sludge mainly for style, but it can screw Tricksters.

This team handles the weatherless and Sandstorm fields nicely, but Rain and Sun tend to give me a hard time; the most menacing foe I've faced thus far is Volcarona. Any suggestions?

I know Mence gets worn down easily by Rocks and Lorb, but I suggest replacing Roost with Stone Edge. If Volca doesn't packa Timid nature, you outspeed it-- or if it does you have a 50/50 chance to outspeed. Stonr Edge is pretty badass and definitely underrated on Mence.

Does Conkeldurr prove hard to handle? It seems to me like it could devastate most of your team

Stone Edge on Mence? I'll have to give that a try. I hardly ever find a good reason to use Roost, anyway.

And Conkeldurr's only truly challenging if Gengar's out of the picture. Otherwise, it's nothing.

Scarf Hydreigon is garbage. Replace it with Landorus, a Pokemon that can actually revenge kill most boosting threats.

Flygon @ choice scarf
Jolly 252 spe/ 252 atk/ 4 def
-outrage
-earthquake
-u turn
-fire blast

If properly played this kills 4/6 of your guys.

@williamscaleb91

Sorry if this sounds rude, but who exactly uses flygon nowadays?

@Scary Fish

I think hh is right you know. I always find scarf hydra a bit weak. If you want a booster killa, try scarf terrakion. Its really good.

I'm starting to find Hydra a bit weak myself. Maybe I'll try Terrakion or Landorus. Either of them can kill +1 Volcarona, anyway.

Me. I don't takr offense though, its not seen very often but I was just pointing out that if it shows up to the party you're going to have problems. I'll concede that its porbably not worth rearranging a team for.

Dfeinitely switch out Hydra. Half your team is weak to fighting, that might be a bit of an issue. I can see Terrakion being downright deadly to this team.

Scarf Hydreigon's weakness isn't really that much of an issue. Its speed, a stat inconveniently lower than that of stuff like Volcarona, is its problem.

Even so, you don't want to leave a weakness like that open. Like you mentioned, Landorus is a pretty simple fix, and fixes the other issue of Scarf Hydreigon not being the best one on the block regardless.

@Scary Fish

Fire blast is extremely useful on salamence. a lot more useful than stone edge. And this is debatable but I feel that moxie salamence is better if you are going to use him as a late game cleaner.

And nice nickname for Scizor. I'm copying that.;-)

When I said weakness, I was referring to Hydreigon's power as a scarfer; I wasn't referring to its type-based weaknesses.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom