• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Serebii confirms return of walking Pokémon feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted it could be some plot reason, but the only time having your Pokemon out that resulted in some event like "OMG YOU HAS A CELEBI, HERE TAKE ZORUA" was HGSS. As I said it just seem unnecessary for Celebi to be out if that's the case. Sure they may be trying to make it look better than simply having the Pokemon but the way it is right now seems way too unnecessary.
The point of the event is that Zoroa only reveals itself to Celebi. If we couldn't even see their interaction, the event would make little to no sense.

On Serebii's page for the Zorua event, it says "Take the Celebi to an as-of-yet undisclosed location in Isshu, and you'll find a man with the Zorua. Talk to him with your Celebi out of its Pokéball and he will say that Zorua & Celebi are enjoying playing with each other and will offer the Zorua to you to take."

Serebii assumes too much. What the magazine actually says is:

Zoroa wa baketa sugata de, to aru machi ni. Serebii wo tsureteiku koto de, shoutai wo arawasu no da!
Zorua appears in a disguised image in a certain city. When Celebi accompanies you, it will show its true form!

It uses the word "accompany", which in HGSS meant having the Pokémon walking with you outside of its ball, but there's zero reason to think that that's what it means in BW, as opposed to simply having it in your party.

The point of the event is that Zoroa only reveals itself to Celebi. If we couldn't even see their interaction, the event would make little to no sense.

Yeah but like I said only an event like this occurred in HGSS.

Most events prior to HGSS, were not made like this, where seeing the interaction between Pokemon was so important. Prior to HGSS it was simply just having said Pokemon that activated the event.

Really I don't see why Zorua itelf can't just have it's over world sprite (disguised and normal), and then entering the building causes some weird flash effect to occur around the player, and then that one screen which occurs in the games when a Pokemon uses an HM move, shows Celebi, and then another flash effect occurs around Zorua's disguised form changing it into Zorua.

That's all that needed to happen if Pokemon don't follow you. We really don't need to see Celebi and Zorua playing with each other like Pikachu Colored Pichu and Spiky Eared Pichu if we can't have Pokemon following you.

The only way I can see something like this being forced is if Pokemon can follow you and the player has the option off and then with Celebi goes into the house causing it to force the player to send out Celebi, and activate the event.

Why make it optional?

I think the feature will show up. The footage we have seen so far is only beta.

Plus, if the man says Celebi and Zorua are playing around when you can't even see them doing so...
...well, that would be weird!

I believe that they just re-used the Celebi over-world sprite from HGSS and made one for Zorua for the event.

Guess what? None of the other pictures we got this month had following.

I believe that they just re-used the Celebi over-world sprite from HGSS and made one for Zorua for the event.

Beta shots, perhaps? I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the feature, but if it doesn't return then I wouldn't mind it.

Beta shots, perhaps? I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the feature, but if it doesn't return then I wouldn't mind it.

But then we could say that the event shot is a Beta Shot, and they could take out the overworld sprites.

Why make it optional?
Some people don't like this feature, so turning it off/on, will be for everyone. People who like it would keep the feature on, those who dislike it will keep it off.

Plus, if the man says Celebi and Zorua are playing around when you can't even see them doing so...
...well, that would be weird!
Well they obviously had the man say that specifically because of the event, if it was my idea (if Pokemon didn't follow you), the man would just say "Whoa, it looks like Celebi did something and Zorua revealed itself"

Playing with each other, just sounds so unnecessary if Pokemon can't follow you.

I already brought this up (but maybe not in this thread) why would the Pokemon following you be so important to everything new in B/W? Having a Pokemon following the trainer in any sort of screenshot shown would've been distracting, since Pokemon following you isn't the important thing being shown (the city, the layout, is what's being advertised not Pokemon following you).

The only reason why the feature was shown in every screenshot/footage of HGSS was because it's mandatory, how do we know it's mandatory or optional in B/W? Assuming the shots shown are relevant to the final game, then it would be optional or non-existing.

I'm leaning far more to it existing because of the Zorua event, because if Pokemon couldn't follow you, then the whole layout of the event is just unnecessary, because of interaction. It makes the most sense for a Pokemon to interact (with one of yours) if and only if Pokemon follow you.

I just can't see any reason for Celebi to pop out of its ball and interact with Zorua just to obtain it, when Celebi's presence could simply be enough.

Last edited:
Serebii assumes too much. What the magazine actually says is:

Zoroa wa baketa sugata de, to aru machi ni. Serebii wo tsureteiku koto de, shoutai wo arawasu no da!
Zorua appears in a disguised image in a certain city. When Celebi accompanies you, it will show its true form!

It uses the word "accompany", which in HGSS meant having the Pokémon walking with you outside of its ball, but there's zero reason to think that that's what it means in BW, as opposed to simply having it in your party.

Exactly. Who's to say that Serebii just doesn't have a slight translation error?

Exactly. Who's to say that Serebii just doesn't have a slight translation error?

I think people forget that sites like Serebii, PokeBeach and Bulbagarden aren't official sites, and the owners of each of them, and every Pokémon fansite are prone to mistakes.

Look, it's fairly obvious that this feature will come back, but most users can't get the grip that it will probably have an on/off feature.

Look, it's fairly obvious that this feature will come back, but most users can't get the grip that it will probably have an on/off feature.

How is it fairly obvious? Apart from that one screenshot with Zorua and Celebi (which could easily only have the overworld sprites programmed for the event), what evidence is there?

Sure, I'd love it to return, I just don't think it's likely.

You know, because Game Freak hasn't removed features we liked before, with RS having moving sprites like Crystal did.

Or the fact that the only game screen shot that shows Pokemon outside of their ball is an event, because you know, Game Freak has never made overworld sprites only for special occasions in the games before.

Well they obviously had the man say that specifically because of the event, if it was my idea (if Pokemon didn't follow you), the man would just say "Whoa, it looks like Celebi did something and Zorua revealed itself"

Playing with each other, just sounds so unnecessary if Pokemon can't follow you.

Dancinc Clefairy in Mt. Moon, Groudon and Kyogre's battle in Sootopolis, there are many instances in which the NPC could have just narrated everything going on.

Considering their emphasis on graphics in this game, you think they won't make those sprites for that event?

While I think that Gen V will have Pokemon following you, they're going to hold it off until the third game, much like how RS held out on moving sprites.

Dancinc Clefairy in Mt. Moon, Groudon and Kyogre's battle in Sootopolis, there are many instances in which the NPC could have just narrated everything going on.
I disagree on those examples, because those had to have over world sprites, and interactions, and were actual plot points you couldn't avoid while this on the other hand is something extraneous and can be avoided no matter what. And as I said Zorua could've had the overworld sprite, Celebi only needed a quick flash animation similar to when a Pokemon uses an HM/or specific TM moves which work outside of battle.

Considering their emphasis on graphics in this game, you think they won't make those sprites for that event?

It's not that they wouldn't, it's just unnecessary if Pokemon don't follow you. I mean the sprite of Zorua I can see since that's the main point of the whole event, but why Celebi? What purpose does Celebi have to be out of it's Poke ball and to play with Zorua?

Only one other example of this occurred and that was the Spiky eared Pichu event, and that had Pokemon following you.

I don't think the zorua event guarantees we'll have pokemon following you. This could be an in-game event only feature. I know it's not quite the same but I see it kind of like the amity square thing, as that was the only time a pokemon would follow you. It could be reminecant of yellow that introduced this feature but it was not brought back in gsc. And a far as the man with the zorua, there has always been npc with pokemon outside of their balls. Even as far back as gen I. I think this very well could be a one time thing with the specific pokemon outside it's pokeball for this event. This being said I like the feature in hgss and I would like to see it's return in bw.

I figure it'll come back, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't. It'll probably be able to be turned on or off though. We probably haven't seen it in screenshots or videos because it's not the empasized feature of the game. Give it another month and I bet we'll see if it's there or not.

I personally hope it returns.

That can be indeed the other possibility, and I've taken it into account, but then wouldn't they show us at least one screenshot (not countng these, as the event makes it special circumstances) with a Pokémon following the characters?

I believe the development of the Black and White engine began before HG&SS were finished. It's completely possible they haven't implemented the walking feature yet to the game, as it's most probably one of those less important aspects of getting the game finished.

I'm very confident that walking Pokémon will return, and if Serebii apparently confirms it, that's great.

As unlikely as it is, I really hope it comes back, it was the cutest feature ever!

If happens. Will be saved as the last reveal (suprise) mark my words. That or saved for 3rd version or.. Ruby Saphire remakes

I hope it comes back. Playing Heart Gold a lot, then going to Platinum and not having my Furret follow me, it felt lonely. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom