• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Shinx vs Mareep

Zekurom

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
Yet another comparison thread. You guys must be getting tired of these by now.

200px-403Shinx.png
versus
140px-179Mareep.png

This thread is for the Shinx and Mareep evolutionary lines.
Both of these Electric-type Pokemon are three-stage evolutions, and appear as common Pokemon in their respective regions.

Which one do you think is better...

...competitively?

...in terms of cuteness?

...by some other criterion?

Your vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Kolink vs Merriep

Why Japanese names? :/

Anyways...

Competitively
Shinx

Looks
Mareep

Overall
Shinx, Because I like it's entire evolution line while with Mareep, I only like Mareep

Overall
Shinx, Because I like it's entire evolution line while with Mareep, I only like Mareep

For me, it's the other way around. I only like Shinx out of its line, and as for Mareep, I like it the whole way through.

Actually, I didn't even know Ampharos existed before playing through Gold. I thought Mareep evolved into Flaaffy and that was it.

Why Japanese names? :/

Anyways...

Competitively
Shinx

Looks
Mareep

Overall

Actually, Ampharos is much more useful than Luxray competitively. She has a great Sp. Atk stat and moves to abuse it with. Luxray's strength lies in his physical attack, where the best STAB move he's got is... Spark.

Aesthetically, I'm going to go with Luxray though. I like lions more than sheep.

In general, I prefer Luxray but I do acknowlege that Ampharos is more useful

I like them both pretty equally, so I voted the last option on the poll.

Competitively - Shinx will win over Mareep. I may have a tougher time deciding if it was Ampharos vs. Luxray.

Looks - Shinx is alright (I dislike Luxio's looks), but it isn't 'cute' by any means. Mareep is a fluffy sheep, even if it has electric powers.

Overall - Both are fine. I like Mareep over Shinx, but I like Luxray over Ampharos. So it's kind of an interesting situation.

Actually, Ampharos is much more useful than Luxray competitively. She has a great Sp. Atk stat and moves to abuse it with. Luxray's strength lies in his physical attack, where the best STAB move he's got is... Spark.

Aesthetically, I'm going to go with Luxray though. I like lions more than sheep.

In general, I prefer Luxray but I do acknowlege that Ampharos is more useful

Well, I've never owned an Ampharos...So I wouldn't know. I'm more used to using Luxray.

Shinx just seems cooler to me. And lions eat giraffe-sheeps in real life, right?

Zekurom, are you trying to be funny? Because you're not.

I prefer Mareep's family, to be on topic.

Last edited:

Nah, wasn't really trying to be funny. Just trying to make a point.

But if you want me to be on topic, I just prefer Shinx. I like the Shinx line's movepool better. And I never really got to use Mareep because I had Crystal.

Not using the English names? These threads have reached a new level of stupidity.

Competitively - Mareep/Ampharos, way better movepool, lacks speed but still...

Looks - Shinx/Luxray, no dobut.

Overall - Actually I've got mixed feelings, I used them both but just in-game, both helped alot in team. However I go with, Shinx/Luxray, more appealing.

Competitively: My sweet widdle Lucky and my ADORABLE widdle Maria would end in Lucky winning. He knows Return. Return. Owns. You.

Looks: SHINX! LUXIO! LUXRAY! They look awesome~

Overall: Shinx.

And yes, I nicknamed my Luxray Lucky... because he is.

Who cares if the OP is using Japanese names. This forum is not meant exclusively for English speakers users. The 'pedia will help you if you don't know their names.

Prefer Luxray's epic look to Ampharos's cute look.

Who cares if the OP is using Japanese names.

It's unnecessary and annoying.

This forum is not meant exclusively for English speakers users.

Um, yes it is?

It's definitely not meant for Japanese-speaking people, at least. And even if it was, I'm sure they'd prefer Kanji to English, anyway.

The 'pedia will help you if you don't know their names.

Why should we be forced to look up the Pokemon's names because some kid thinks he's funny and puts up Japanese names instead?

I don't know why the Japanese names are in there. But, to answer the poll, Shinx. Its physical movepool may not be much (Spark, Crunch, elemental fangs, Superpower (Luxray only)), but at least it provides good coverage.

What I meant was if some person was more familiar with Japanese name, he/she should be forced to use the english names.

You're forgetting Thunder Fang.

I like them both, but Luxray better.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom