• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon via Masuda method

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the parents are from different language games, you'll get the 1/2048 chance of shiny hatch. It can be English and Japanese or Spanish and German, for example.

Thanks. Shiny Onix->Steelix here I come!

i always wanted a shiny lucario ( that is pretty obvieus if u watch my name :dodgy: ) maybe i can trie the masuda method

but fot now i'll keep chaining ... maybe later

Been doing this forever - 20 boxes of baby piplups and nothing yet....

That said, sticking one up on the GTS every so often has gone a way to completeing my pokédex.

I don't know if this has been answered yet, so here goes:

Let's say you have an egg bred in your American game from a Japanese Ditto and an American Feebas, and then trade the unhatched egg to another American game. Is the chance of the resulting Feebas being shiny 1/2000, or 1/8000 (roughly)? I know that RNG method relies on you being OT for the shiny, but how does Masuda method affect that?

ANSWER FOUND! The chance will revert to the 1/8000 chance. What Masuda does is regenerate PIDs if it doesn't think the Pokemon will be shiny based on the breeder's OT. This means that the extra chances happen when the egg is created and the PID is created - thus, when transferred, it's the same as having any other egg transferred with a given PID.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of this method and so far I've gotten two shinies (Shinx, Poochyena) with it. I like just rolling around and waiting for eggs to hatch, since it doesn't require much concentration.
However I'm currently a little frustrated since I've been trying for a shiny Electrike about three weeks and no results yet. I don't know the exact number but I think I'm already way over a thousand eggs now, which is a lot greater number than previous shinies. Shinx took a little over 60 eggs and Poochyena was a bit over 90, so I guess I got too lucky with them and now I have no luck left for Electrike.

BUT I'm not going to give up! I'm going to keep hatching until I see that pretty little red star!

As long as the parents are from different language games, you'll get the 1/2048 chance of shiny hatch. It can be English and Japanese or Spanish and German, for example.

it has to be a different language version - a USA/UK breed won't fall under the masuda method as they're both "English" (language) games

just throw english ditto on the GTS & ask for any ditto in return - you'll get a japanese on soon enough

I would try but I CANT GET A FREAKING FOREIGN EEVEE!! Seriously, I put many pokemon on GTS but all eevees I get are english!

japanese ditto is the way forwards dude! just put an english ditto up asking for any ditto & you'll get one soon enough

Does a Mexican Ditto work with a United States-bought game? I recently got a Ditto from Mexico, but how can I be sure it's actually from Mexico, and does Mexico to United States breeding give the same effect that Japanese to German Pokemon would?

if the mexican game uses english as the language then it would fall under the "English" (US/UK/canada/etc) category - german & US / japanese & US / etc would work though

im almost positive mexican video games are the ones released in america. everything is in english.

I went and bred Ditto with another Pokemon and I gave Ditto an everstone. The first egg I had was Careful nature, and Ditto had a Careful nature too. After that, I tried a few more and they both came up with two separate natures.

Does this mean its international, because it did not pass down its nature?

I don't know if anyone's posted this yet or not, but the way the odds work, it'll take 1440 eggs* just to have a roughly 50% chance of having gotten ONE shiny.

But random is random, so you might get it on your first egg or you might not get one for several tens of thousands of eggs. Each individual egg is still only one chance in two thousand forty-eight. It's phenomenally low, even with the Masuda trick.

* {The exact math behind that number is the log, base (2047/2048), of .5, which comes to about 1440. In other words, take the probability of getting a non-shiny (2047/2048) and raise it to the 1440th power, and you get a roughly fifty/fifty chance of having all non-shinies. Which by definition also means you've got a roughly fifty/fifty chance of having at least one shiny in there.}

I went and bred Ditto with another Pokemon and I gave Ditto an everstone. The first egg I had was Careful nature, and Ditto had a Careful nature too. After that, I tried a few more and they both came up with two separate natures.

Does this mean its international, because it did not pass down its nature?
You could just be unlucky with the Everstone. If this is Platinum or HGSS, you would have a foreign dex entry in your Pokedex for Ditto.

everstone gives a 50% chance of passing down nature so approx half will be the same nature & the other half will be random natures

everstone gives a 50% chance of passing down nature so approx half will be the same nature & the other half will be random natures
But it won't pass down the nature if one of the parents is foreign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom