• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope i can be any help for u grimm but i dont have a wifi connection.. i'm planning on getting the wifi wireless router but, well, maybe when i get the next paycheck.. btw, I now have 1 shiny Hoppip, 1 shiny Skiploom and 1 shiny Jumpluff.. Hehe, yup, i evolved them.. My shinies now filling fast the 2nd box for shinies in the pc.. i'm currently chaining Scyther.. Chain broke several times, but, what the hell.. i'll continue chaining it anyway since i got the patience to do it..

sorry for the bad quality..

Last edited:
That Hoppip looks like a ghost xD

I've caught 2 shiny Minun, but I must've missed some before that because the shiny patch was behind me.

I tried chaining Sneasel near Lake Acuity. It's hard chaining in the weather, but I got to 13 before my chain randomly broke.

Looks like a ghost huh.. Maybe it's part Ghost type.. lol.. What colour are the Minuns?..

Here (I've calculated their IVs):

dpffsa312.png

Gentle, HP=10, Attack=17, Defense=14, Sp.Attack=2, Sp.Defense=1, Speed=2

dpffsa312.png

Quirky, HP=5, Attack=22, Defense=8, Sp.Attack=2, Sp.Defense=21, Speed=29

Here (I've calculated their IVs):

dpffsa312.png

Gentle, HP=10, Attack=17, Defense=14, Sp.Attack=2, Sp.Defense=1, Speed=2

dpffsa312.png

Quirky, HP=5, Attack=22, Defense=8, Sp.Attack=2, Sp.Defense=21, Speed=29

Wow, the Quirky one is totally better.. They're kinda cute too.. Mayb I'll chain for them after I got my Scyther..

Last edited:
Aww... That shade of Green looks so good on them! You're so lucky.

*Adds Minun to top of Chain To-Do list*

That is, once I beat the game again.

By the way, I caught 3 shiny Hoppips today.. Takes me about 4 hours and 100++ max repels to get it.. YIPPIE!!!!

Congrats! I've actually been chaining Hoppip as well, but without so much luck. I got my chain to 40 and I've already used over 100 max repels but still not a single shiny patch. I only brought 400 to start with (usually that's enough for lots of shinies), but now I'm starting to worry I won't find a single one before I run out. :(

I wonder if they're actually appearing behind my head or behind that huge tree and I'm missing them. (EDIT: Never mind, I finally found one! And I still have 280 max repel to spare. Yay!)

Also, congrats on the Minun, Pink Squirrel. They're so cute!

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm always after cute shinies <3. But this time I'm chaining Kricketune, and I get to hear lots of UFOs (or whatever it sounds like).

Between my previous post untill now, I managed to get 4 Shiny Smeargles and 2 Shiny Sneasels.. I'm quite surprised that shiny Sneasels are, Pink.. It's midnight now here, and Zigzagoons are swarming.. I guess I'm skipping my sleep tonight.. lol..

Good luck on your Kricketune, Pink..

Last edited:
shinings

i have been chaining for three days and i have found no shining at all i have been chaining zigzagoons and kickitunes and also spoinks but to no prevail i i had 99 max repels now im at 0
:(

Pink squirrel... how are you so good at chaining in the garden?

I am still doing horribly. I really want shiny Rhydon so that's all I'm gonna chain until I get it... I'm also not going to do anything else in the game.

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time... the best I chained to was 23, twice. The second time I forgot to use a repel, somehow. If anyone else has had this problem, one of the reasons could be that you go to your bag to use another one but you press the buttons so quick that you actually don't use the repel. I've noticed this happen to me, ugh.

I hope i can be any help for u grimm but i dont have a wifi connection.. i'm planning on getting the wifi wireless router but, well, maybe when i get the next paycheck.. btw, I now have 1 shiny Hoppip, 1 shiny Skiploom and 1 shiny Jumpluff.. Hehe, yup, i evolved them.. My shinies now filling fast the 2nd box for shinies in the pc.. i'm currently chaining Scyther.. Chain broke several times, but, what the hell.. i'll continue chaining it anyway since i got the patience to do it..

sorry for the bad quality..

Nice work Dragonite. I've tried chaining the dandelion series a couple times but failed because 205 is such a small patch, plus you have to chain sparkly patches, which I just totally suck at. Can't believe I got my salamance, scyther, etc. as I usually end up losing chains in the late 30s when I chain sparklies. I figure the patch type shifts to a different type of sparkle and I chase it.

On that note, does anyone else doubt that there are really several types of non-sparkly grass? I chain in this type and I swear I cannot distinguish different types, be they shake speed, shake length, etc. I have successfully chained about 30 different pokemon in this grass type and find it hard to believe I could succeed if there were really different types of non-sparkly grass. Anyone out there convinced there are different types? I've seen claims that there are at least 4, but I can't see them.

Phew.. I managed to get 3 shiny Zigzagoons, but they're all gluttony.. I only caught 3, thinking that at least 1 of them is a 'Pick Up'er.. well, watever..

Yeah Totoro, I heard that too.. I only can differentiate 2 type of sparkling patches.. and the non-sparkling ones, I have no idea.. They look the same..

Last edited:
I decided to chain my swarm, which was krabby. Again..

I managed to get to a chain of 16, before a dang raticate broke it....I hate it when only one patch appears! I wasn't sure If I should reset it or not, so I decided to take a journey to the lonely patch..I regret it. I'll see what my swarm is tomorrow.

Double shinies

Well, it actually happened today while I was resetting for my fourth shiny snubbull. They were stubborn for me, as it took me longer than usual for 3 of the 4 shinies (usually takes me about 50 resets after getting to 40). The 1st took ~ 131 resets, the 2nd ~ 117, and the 3rd ~20 resets. Then, while trying for the 4th, I'd reset about 175 times before spawning TWO shiny patches on a single reset. The odds on this should be pretty tall, if you figure that the odds for a single shiny patch are about 1/200 for each patch (1/50 if you figure that thereare 4 patches - although that's another issue in my mind.) So, the odds should be about 1/200 * 1/200 or 1/40,000! I really don't think we know all that there is to know about how chaining affects shiny occurrence odds.

Sidenote: I am again trying to chain a rare pokemon in sparkly patches - larvitar this time. I am at 35. Now is typically when I break these chains - my guess is the game throws a slightly different type of sparkly patch in and I go for it like the dubious patch-entering, shiny-chaining sucker I apparently am. I'll let you know if I make it this time or if the game adds another notch in the beat Totoro column.

Last edited:
On that note, does anyone else doubt that there are really several types of non-sparkly grass? I chain in this type and I swear I cannot distinguish different types, be they shake speed, shake length, etc. I have successfully chained about 30 different pokemon in this grass type and find it hard to believe I could succeed if there were really different types of non-sparkly grass. Anyone out there convinced there are different types? I've seen claims that there are at least 4, but I can't see them.

I still say there are 4... but what difference it actually makes, I am VERY uncertain of. This is because I too, before I started being able to distinguish them, have caught several shinies when I thought there were just 2 kinds (slow and fast). Honestly, it took me a while to be able to see the 4 different kinds. And even though I do think sticking to one of the 4 types is a safer bet, it's still not fool proof. Like I've said, I usually do mix and match because it's hard not to, but when I get the chain to 30, I feel a lot more comfortable sticking to one kind. This has worked lots of times, but it has also failed, so I'm not sure what the significance is, if any.

On that note... I finally have a decent Rhydon chain (following my 4 non sparkly patch rule), but I'm stuck at 39. Not exactly stuck, but more like too wussy to take it to 40, since my luck has been so bad lately, and a chain breaking at 39 is my least favorite thing ever. So I'm just gonna waste a bunch of repel and hope it works. At least if it does, I'm in the clear to keep resetting for more shinies. I'll need a lot because I want at least one Rhydon that has the rock head ability with a decent enough nature and IV spread.

Good luck to everyone who is chaining!

Last edited:
I still say there are 4...

So, do you really see short and long-shaking "plain" patches? I only see one type, with all of them shaking. If not shake length, what is the difference? I've seen suggestions that there are some with small open circles, etc. but wonder whether they maybe are just different views of the same grass type from different perspectives based upon their position in the field? I'm wondering really whether there are maybe just 3-4 patch types, total: plain, faint short shaking, brighter short shaking, yellowish short shaking, and shiny patches. Wouldn't it be nice to get some definitive word on these things just to help sort out the real rules?

On another note, I wonder whether there are issues other than spawning odds associated with edge patches of grass. I noticed that I have had many chains break by encounetring a different pokemon by going after 4-7 and 4-8 patches on the edge or inside corner (where the shaking patch is surrounded by 7 patches). I think something strange is going on on the edge that affects the pokemon in those patches.

On that note... I finally have a decent Rhydon chain

Good luck on that. I also sometimes just decide to start resetting at 39 but usually jump at the first 4-7 patch that I see to get to 40. If you believe that earlier graph, you increase your odds from 1/400 to 1/200 by getting that 40th link in the chain. Then again, if your willing to reset another 50 times (on average), you can just decide to quit chaining at 39.

Larvitar update: Got through this one. I chained this one pretty easily by just being patient and sticking to bright sparkly patches in the 4th ring that were NOT on an edge. Hit 40 and have claimed 5 shinies so far. The first two came quick after just 6 resets and 2 resets. The next 3 have taken longer, coming after 103, 107 and 87 resets.

Yay, I got a shiny at 39! The only problem is, my shiny Scizor that I use for false swiping is not strong enough to deal enough damage, and I really don't want to keep hitting them for fear of making them faint. Do you think if I used a pokemon around the same level as the Rhydons but used a move that didn't get STAB and only dealt the normal amount of damage to Rhydon, it would be okay?

About the plain patches... I see slow and fast, is that what you mean by short and long? And out of both of those, I see ones with a circle in the middle, and ones without. To me it has nothing to do with the perspective. For instance, if 2 patches shake next to each other, I can sometimes see that one has the circle and one doesn't. It is a little harder to tell when the patches shake 4 rows above you, but I can still usually see the difference. The thing that's weird about it is it's so obvious to me now, but I KNOW there was a time where I didn't pick up on this. All I can say is that it takes some very careful watching, but you've been chaining a while, so I'm not sure how I could make it sound easier to see them.

Yes, it would be really nice if we knew what was actually going on! While chaining, I always formulate theories in my head about it, which sound pretty ridiculous, but I guess anything is possible until someone breaks apart the game's coding. Until then though, I wouldn't worry TOO much about all the different types of grass, since there seems to be no concrete pattern to what works and what doesn't. You can't be doing too bad Totoro if you have a lot of shinies... and besides... congrats on your Larvitars! I may be obsessed with the whole 4 plain patch thing, but I have SUCH a hard time distinguishing the sparkly patches. I have yet to be able to successfully chain anything in them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom