• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash age or not ?

Should Ash age or not ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think about it this entire debacle is stupid. theres several occurences where it clearly shows that its been a year since a certain event time and time again, and constatly tells us that they've been on so and so adventure for several months. theres a certain episode of pokemon only shown on one of the movies that clearly states its the 1 year anniversary of ash and Pikachu's first meeting and yet the show clearly states that ash is 10 years old in black and white? Bullcrap. I know you can argue that its an anime and it doesn't need to make sense. But even still, their constant re-integration of ash's idiocy is annoing. He NEEDS to age for his own sake.

I don't really see how Ash aging would be good for his own shake. He would act the same most likely, so there's not much of a benefit for him or for the audience in my opinion. I still would have preferred if they kept his age ambiguous so that fans could speculate about how old he was. I remember doing that a lot during AG and DP, so it would have been nice to keep doing that through BW too.

There's a certain episode near the end of a league where Ash says to Misty or visa-versa "Wow, I can't believe it has been a year..." or somewhere along those lines and the leagues with 2-3 months wait time. I think Ash should at least tick one year or don't even state his age at all.

I dunno, I've been watching the anime since I was 6, and I'm 17 now... I just think that it's a little weird that Ash hasn't aged a day...

If they don't make him 13 years old at least, I think they should just create a new protagonist completely.

I don't know why some people make a huge deal about Ash never aging. Neither do any of the other characters. Besides, there are plenty of shows that do the exact same thing.
However, I'll admit that it's a little strange that he is ten years old. I can see that they might have made him so to help the targeted audience identify with him, but his doesn't really look or act the part.

Why are there even flashbacks in the show, if Ash hadn't aged? TECHNICALLY, HE HAS AGED. We've seen flashbacks of young Ash and Gary - most notably the one where they were at a theater. They let Ash age from a young kid to a ten-year-old. Why they didn't let Ash age beyond ten is the question, if they were fine with him aging at all

There's a certain episode near the end of a league where Ash says to Misty or visa-versa "Wow, I can't believe it has been a year..." or somewhere along those lines and the leagues with 2-3 months wait time. I think Ash should at least tick one year or don't even state his age at all.

That was actually when they arrived back in Vridian City. I'm also pretty sure that it was a dub-only line. The Leagues do tend to take place two to three months time in-universe though. I still think that they shouldn't have stated his age in BW. At least it gave fans the fun in speculating how old he could be and saying that he hasn't aged during the course of the series is kind of strange. I don't have as much of a problem with it as other fans can, but it definitely doesn't seem like the best choice to confirm him as being a ten year old in retrospect.

Yes. It's been 16+ years of the anime with Ash traveling through a total of 5 regions already. There's no way he can be 10 after all of these events.

Besides that, I haven't been able to believe he's 10 anymore since his English dub voice changed. He sounds much more like a late teen than a kid to me in the dub since Sarah took over the role. I would probably have less trouble accepting the change if they actually bothered to age the characters on this show.

Yes. It's been 16+ years of the anime with Ash traveling through a total of 5 regions already. There's no way he can be 10 after all of these events.

Besides that, I haven't been able to believe he's 10 anymore since his English dub voice changed. He sounds much more like a late teen than a kid to me in the dub since Sarah took over the role. I would probably have less trouble accepting the change if they actually bothered to age the characters on this show.

I always thought that Veronica Taylor's voice for Ash made him sound older than a ten year old, especially in AG. His current voice doesn't really make me think of him as a teenager. If anything, he sounds younger to me. I still don't really mind that Ash doesn't age. It's weird and I still think that time still passes, but no one ages for whatever reason, as I prefer that over everything happening in less than a year, but I don't think it would benefit Ash's character. It would provide some comfort to the audience, but since I don't think Ash would act any differently if he was fifteen instead of ten, I don't see why he should age from a character perspective.

I always thought that Veronica Taylor's voice for Ash made him sound older than a ten year old, especially in AG. His current voice doesn't really make me think of him as a teenager. If anything, he sounds younger to me. I still don't really mind that Ash doesn't age. It's weird and I still think that time still passes, but no one ages for whatever reason, as I prefer that over everything happening in less than a year, but I don't think it would benefit Ash's character. It would provide some comfort to the audience, but since I don't think Ash would act any differently if he was fifteen instead of ten, I don't see why he should age from a character perspective.

Well, Veronica made him sound way older than 10 at first, like 20, in like early Kanto, but from Orange Islands onwards, he always sounded 10 to me. Even in Hoenn, he sounded 10, just that his voice's tone got a bit deeper.

With Sarah, he sounded 10 at first in early BF, then like 25 in late BF, 17-20 in early DP, 14 in later DP, and now he sounds 12-13 in BW to me. I always thought Veronica sounded much younger and lighter-pitched than Sarah (just comparing Veronica's AG performance to Sarah's DP performance, Veronica sounds more like a kid to me). A big part of why I prefer Veronica's performance to Sarah's stems not only from the enthusiasm I feel she brought to the role, but how much more age-appropriate she was as well in the role.

Ash sounds younger in Unova than in Sinnoh because Sarah finally learned to lighten his voice up after about 4 1/2 seasons of that really deep, grouchy voice he used to have, IMO. Honestly, that's why I disliked Sarah's performance so much...truthfully, it's never, ever sounded like a kid at all to me. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Yes and he is not Bloody 10 Years Old he is like 15 Now I would Think i feel like that was a Complete Error at the Beginning of BW.

Until they came out and said he was 10 I convinced myself he aged. Honestly, I feel he grew up a little bit every region prior to BW in terms of maturity. In AG he already took on a mentor esque role and in DP he felt like an experienced trainer for once.

The writers are scared of their own story. They are too afraid to experiment with anything even with Ash. You can forget about a new main character when TPTB aren't even willing to make significant noticeable changes to their current one. They are just too scared of the possible side effects of changing too much, and after BW they are gonna be even more afraid of changing anything(that is assuming the general consensus is that BW was lackluster).

They were able to write a good story with N, who is a young man. I'm sure they'd be able to write a good story about teenage-Ash if only they bothered to lift a finger

They should have just left it vague and upto people's headcannons about how old he is in a given region, explicitly stating he was still 10 in BW1 was a big mistake in my opinion.
Also he is very mature for a 10 year old. He looks in his teens. Even in Kanto I didn't really believe he was 10 he seemed more like 13.

I think it should have gone like this

Kanto - 10
Johto - 11
Hoenn - 12
Sinnoh - 13
Unova - 14
Kalos - 15

His new artwork especially, could definitely pass for 15.

He is BLOODY 15 OK People because he has been since Unova had Started and The Narrator Messed that up pretty bad when both Narrators said that Ash was 10 in BW because that makes No sense what so ever and will either be 15 or 16 in Kalos.

I voted "No" before but I don't mins 1-2 yeasrs of age at this point if the artwork supposedly makes Ash a bit older. I dout it but I don't see it impossible in a limited amount. That will resolve many plot-holes.

But your age theory ideas are absurd. Ash is 10 until Ash really looks older and other possible characters are older.

It's true that Ash doesn't look exactly like 10.

Aging would be nice, but I think as long as you keep him mature and continue growing instead of backpedaling...it be okay.

Seriously, how is he still 10? What the *cues LK YGO abridged sound* eff! I mean, really, it's been 5 journeys, and nearly 15 years already in the real world. He has to have aged in all of that time. *shrugs*

Heck, the anime even had the kid celebrate his own birthday in the "Pikachu and Pichu" special. Talk about *cues LK YGO abridged sound* effing up the previously established continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom