• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should I sell the Gen IV and V games I own?

Reaction score
Recently I began to look for a way to earn some more money for another series that I like, but as I couldn't manage to get ajob over the summer, and with school starting for me it would be hard to find one now, I looked into selling some things I own.

Outside of my video games, the stuff I have is generally not worth selling. I own a limited selection of games, and while there are some I'd be glad to be rid of (Yu-Gi-Oh, Spore Creatures, Bakugan...), there are some others that I don't know whether or not I want to sell. Those games happen to be Pokémon Diamond, HeartGold, White, White 2 and Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. Does anyone here think that it is worth selling these games?

My reasoning here is that for one thing I don't have anyone around to battle with outside of my brother, and he doesn't really play that often, so the battling aspect of those games don't appeal to me for local. We all know that the Wi-Fi network was shut down, so nothing online will work either. I tried replaying Pokémon: Diamond, but to be fair, I'd rather be replaying Pokémon Y or Omega Ruby than that, as at least I can still go online and do many other things with my Pokémon.

A final thing to note, I do own a complete Pokedex outside of Volcanion, so going back to the older games to find older Pokémon also something that doesn't go for me. Would you say tha I should sell these game from the older generations?

P.S. I put Blue Rescue Team on the list because I find it inferior to Explorers of Time and Super in most ways, so I don't feel the want to replay the game. Or play it again for that matter. If I have regret for selling it, I could always buy the Wii U Virtual Console.

Hmm, well, I'm never one for selling my games for sentimental reasons. I have found myself replaying Platinum, for example, trying Nuzlocke or trying to complete the pokédex (something I've never done). However, I could imagine that doesn't appeal to you since, as you've said, you've completed the dex and if you wanted a challenge, you could play other games. If you don't find yourself being sentimental, wanting to replay the storyline or playing the games that often, the logical step would be to sell.

If you want to sell your games, I would say now's the time to do it. With Pokémon Go being a thing, many are looking at Pokemon games again and wanting to get into the franchise. I saw a Reddit post saying how the price of games has increased since Go was released. HeartGold would probably get you the most, to be honest, seeing as it's rather nostalgic.

Sorry I can't be much help. My personal preference would be to not sell, but I'm not you. However, if you want to sell, sell now.

HeartGold would probably get you the most, to be honest, seeing as it's rather nostalgic.

Yeah, I never see HeartGold selling for less than $50 these days, and even that's a somewhat rare price. People freaking love Walking Pokémon, it seems.

Personally, I say yeah, sell 'em for what you can get. Sentiment is lovely and all and I completely get it, but being able to support yourself is more important than being able to replay old games. You would still have your Gen VI games, too, so you wouldn't even be devoid of everything.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom