• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

The whole point of a Screechtar, as I've been told, is to Screech them to the point they'll have to switch, as most things won't stay in after one or two screeches from TTar, and then to use Pursuit as they switch out.

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

ah ha idiot moment :|

problem is, they'd switch in a fast sweeper who has a powerful fighting attack. so the defence loss wont really matter :/

I'm considering putting together a team of NU Pokemon (I don't know why :p), and I was wondering if this Butterfree would make a good starter:

Butterfree- Jolly @ Focus Sash
Compoundeyes
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
- Tailwind
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- U-turn

Basically, start with Tailwind if necessary, survive the opponent's first attack with the Focus Sash, then use either an accurate Sleep Powder or Stun Spore, possibly forcing a switch into another SP or SS, then/or U-turn to an appropriate sweeper, who depending on the circumstances might have boosted Speed for a turn or two.

What do you think? It could even work in mainstream competitive battling, since Stealth Rock isn't in play on the first turn. The only things I'd have to watch out for are weather-inducers and priority moves (or just plain really fast Pokemon).

I don't know, I like coming up with movesets for Pokemon that the battling community have deemed "virtually useless."

I've never really thought of Butterfree as virtually useless, more as 'just barely not useful'. Butterfree's ability plus movepool is great, it just has no stats whatsoever. This would work, but it's heavily reliant upon status moves. A fast Taunter would just shut it down (though those lost their extreme popularity as leads a while ago I think). Really, because Tailwind doesn't last long enough, I've always thought of this kind of set on butterfree to be better suited to doubles. Unfortunately, Focus Sash is easily destroyed there.

It would probably work, but not as well as you would want. Tailwind boosts would not really end up being passed. You would get a fast, accurate status move over other leads though, at the expense of being threatened by Taunt, weather and increased priority. Definitely worth testing in my opinion.

^Yeah, it would nice if Tailwind lasted longer-- at least 5 turns or so. I'll test this set, but the benefits of fast status infliction will probably wind up being too circumstantial.

Compoundeyes is a really cool ability, I just wish a better Pokemon had it.

I'm considering putting together a team of NU Pokemon (I don't know why :p), and I was wondering if this Butterfree would make a good starter:

Butterfree- Jolly @ Focus Sash
Compoundeyes
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
- Tailwind
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- U-turn

Basically, start with Tailwind if necessary, survive the opponent's first attack with the Focus Sash, then use either an accurate Sleep Powder or Stun Spore, possibly forcing a switch into another SP or SS, then/or U-turn to an appropriate sweeper, who depending on the circumstances might have boosted Speed for a turn or two.

What do you think? It could even work in mainstream competitive battling, since Stealth Rock isn't in play on the first turn. The only things I'd have to watch out for are weather-inducers and priority moves (or just plain really fast Pokemon).

I don't know, I like coming up with movesets for Pokemon that the battling community have deemed "virtually useless."

Maybe Safegaurd? instead of stun spore? could come in handy.

This sounds stupid, but does it matter qua stats if you Ev train a pokemon to say level 20, let it evolve and then train to 100, or if you ev-train it to level 100 and then let it evolve? Visual help:

p1------evolve------------lv100
p2-----------------evolve-lv100

So would those stats be equally good, or would p1's stats be better (not factoring IV's, and they've had the same amount of EV's)?

They'd be equal. It doesn't matter what level they evolve.

k thanks. that will help me a lot ^^

I have been training my snorlax and i am considering giving it the moves substitute, Focus punch, rest, and then another wild card attack.

substitute - This move take a little hp off snorlax, but it makes in invulneralbe to any attacks, this is great for setting up focus punch.

Focus punch - this move needs a charge period where the pokemon cannot get hurt, but after it charges it is a powerful fighting attack (also with snolax high attack this move does more damage than usual)

Rest: This move restores heath to snorlax but puts it to sleep, it a great way to recover the hp lost from substitute

My wild card move - since snolax has a low base special attack i was hoping for a physical attack that would be powerful just incase i dont want to rely on the substitute, focus punch combo. Any suggestions?

Also if you think this move set wont be good for snorlax then you can
*tell me how to improve this moveset
*Tell me what moves your snorlax knows
* Give me a completely new move set that is better than what i have created

(message me with your advice and help. Tell me if this works please!)

I would use Yawn or perhaps Sleep Talk.

With Yawn, you can frustrate your opponent by inflicting sleep, and then using Rest to restore your HP. With Sleep Talk you can still continue to cause damage (depending on the attack randomly chosen) until Snorlax awakens.

What are generally considered 'good' IVs for competitive battling? Anything over 20 in the desired stat(s)? 25?

Anything over 28

is a belly drum + sirtrus berry + drain punch a good combo for Slowbro/Slowking?

I'd like to ask a little question.
I originally had an strategy with Blissey, which was made impossible by Blissey's inability to learn neither Taunt nor Bide. If someone knows a Pokémon which would work well for the same strategy (or other moves which could also serve to Blissey to do a similar strategy), please tell me. That's the question.
The strategy was:

Blissey with Leftovers.
Moves:
-Taunt
-Bide
-Softboiled
-Egg Bomb

Basically, you use Taunt then Bide. Since Blissey has godly HP, she's gonna rack up a lot of damage with Bide, and because of Taunt, the enemy would be forced to use damaging attacks. Leftovers would restore her HP a bit every turn to raise the possibilities of her surviving. Softboiled would be used to restore HP every time the enemy switches Pokémon, and Egg Bomb to finish off any enemies that survived Bide.

So, if anyone knows a decent substitute for the strategy, could you please tell me? Thank you in advance.

Lazyboy0337: Since both are considered bulky, halving their HP is not the best way to go. Also, they have higher SpA than Atk, so it's best just to use its special movepool and use Calm Mind if you want to boost power.

Megaron: That strategy is very simple to break. All the opponent has to do is switch to something else while you're using Bide and it gets a free turn of set up. The scenario would go something like this... (using lead Heatran and Swords Dance Lucario as opponent examples)

Turn 1
HEATRAN used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
BLISSEY used Taunt!

Turn 2
HEATRAN used FIRE BLAST!
BLISSEY used Bide!

These two turns are showing the main problem with this strategy: Blissey's poor Speed. You're not going to be able to get the jump on much (Maybe Bronzong?) for Taunt, and you're not going to be able to surprise your opponent with Bide (Meaning you're not going to outspeed your opponent and get some damage on Blissey to use for stored damage with Bide). This is how the other two turns would end up...

Turn 3
Trainer calls back HEATRAN!
Trainer sends out LUCARIO!
BLISSEY is storing energy!

Turn 4
LUCARIO used Swords Dance!
LUCARIO's Attack sharply rose!
BLISSEY unleashed energy!
But it failed!

...and then Lucario will proceed to rape your team. The fact of the matter is, Bide is incredibly easy to work around. It's not recommended for competitive play.

Last edited:

Is Return, Surf, Ice Beam, Brine a good move set for an Empoleon

I had considered a Bide/Block/Rest strategy on Snorlax, but it suffered from a lack of Taunt. Also, the fact that Block moves are very hard to use effectively against serious players, since they will switch to a counter on the turn you use it, forcing you out and wasting your turn. I did enjoy the idea of a Snorlax with no direct attack moves though.

Loooong post.

Hmmm... I see what you mean. It's actually pretty flawful, thanks for pointing that out.
Though I'd still like to form that strategy to use it in non-competitive play :D I'll look for it on my own.
EDIT: Actually, I checked the wiki and as of Generation IV, Bide has a priority of +1.

Last edited:

Would a Choice Scarf Gyarados be good?
..or would it fail hard and make me cry?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom