• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Talk about unlucky contradictions...been SRing for an Articuno in Fire Red, and I get this:

Bold #144 Articuno: 4 - 5 / 30 - 31 / 4 - 5 / 28 - 29 / 28 - 29 / 28 - 29

Worth keeping?

What are you going to use an Articuno for?

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

What are you going to use an Articuno for?

I really don't know. I thought I'd figure it out when I got one with ok IVs. My battery died, though, so either way I've lost that one. :-/

What is a good nature, EV Spread and moveset for an ExtremeSpeed Dragonite?

Adamant / Focus Sash / Inner Focus
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

The most common Gyarados set is his offensive Dragon Dance set.

Gyarados @ life orb/leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang / Stone Edge

not really a good set missingno it's common but its too meh

for me it's

Gyarados @ Leftovers
156 HP / 108 Atk / 100 Def / 144 Spe
DD
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Taunt

you basically just DD once if your opponent switch to a hazer u taunt then u DD 1 or 2 more times
and you can start sweeping with waterfall/stone edge

What do you guys think?

Support Scizor

images

Scizor @ Metal Coat/Leftovers
248 HP // 8 Spe // 252 Atk
Adamant
- Substitute
- Swords Dance/Baton Pass/Swagger
- Bullet Punch/Baton Pass
- Knock Off/Toxic

Bring him in on something that will switch out, or can't break his Sub (see: other Scizors), and Sub up.
From here, what you do is down to what moves you've picked and what they've sent in.
You can Dance if you're confident that a +2 Bullet Punch will KO before you die, you could Baton pass your Sub away for a more suitable Pokémon to set up, or you can Knock Off/Toxic the Switch in to play with the opponent's strategy.

Metal Coat is to allow you to switch this in and not have Leftovers recovery give away the fact that it is not Banded, while still boosting he power of Bullet Punch. However, Lefties are a great choice if you don't mind losing the element of surprise.

..scratch that, the opponent never has any idea what this guy is doing, it's epic :D

Swords Dance may not be the best on that set, since most Scizor counters don't mind a +2 Bullet Punch so much. In fact, they can't or they wouldn't be counters. Unless you go with the no-attack strategy.

I like it a lot though. It's different and hard to predict.

Because I can never be bothered to trade etc and figure i'll go through each game again to get some decent pokes. Which two starters from Fire Red and Pearl do you think would work best together and with a team which could be made from pokemon readily available from each game (not counting legendaries or anything else non-breedable, I like to get my moneys worth from the tm's and play around with breeding).

I figure Infernape is probably an good idea due to the lack of fire types available, even with Arcanine. So who would be good at giving the fire monkey some gen 1 support, Venusaur or Blastoise? Or any other combinations of two starters you think would be good.

I have this careful kirlia. Should I raise it into a gardevoir, or into a gallade?

Gardevoir.

I say Gallade. Careful is -Sp. Attack, after all.

*doh*
yeah, you are right.
i just saw the plus special defense.

Don't worry about it. I made the same mistake with my in-game Bulbasaur in Fire Red (big d'oh moment).

What IVs do you need to have Hidden Power Fire at 70 strength? Do these IVs work on an Espeon?

Numbers are in the order of HP/Atk/Def/Spd/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def

31/30/31/30/30/31
31/31/30/30/30/31
30/30/31/30/30/31
30/31/30/30/30/31

need help optimizing my Infernape. His current moveset is:

Close Combat
Thunder Punch
Flamthrower
Calm Mind

I plan on replacing Calm Mind with Swords Dance, which is better with this moveset.

I also plan on giving him the following EVs:
Attack/252
Special Attack/64
Speed/192

Inspired by Smogon.

regarding iv/nature/hidden power, I don't care.

What do you think?

need help optimizing my Infernape. His current moveset is:

Close Combat
Thunder Punch
Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
Swords Dance

I also plan on giving him the following EVs:
Attack/252
Hp/4
Speed/252
Item: leftovers
Inspired by Smogon.

Last edited:

No. Infernape does not have the defenses to run a recoil-inducing move effectively. Flamethrower may not be AS powerful, but it's still perfectly usable, has a hell of a lot more PP, and doesn't cost Infernape any of it's own health.

Roi C., you're going in the right direction. I would replace Calm Mind with Swords Dance, or Nasty Plot if you can get it back. But that choice is entirely up to you, and it would be prudent to test out this ape before settling on your choice. If your Flamethrowers aren't doing quite enough damage, try and get Nasty Plot. If your Close Combats or Thunder Punches fall short, then by all means, use Swords Dance. Ultimately, experimentation is your friend.

You're going to want a Naive or Hasty nature, I think. Obviously you'll want to try for decent IVs all around, but overall, I think you've got a good basis to work from, here. :) Good luck!

Roi C., in your moveset you are using a boosting move that improves only 1 of its 3 attacks, and improving either of its defenses is pretty much a waste of a turn. You're right to switch to Swords Dance. Consider using Fire Blast, as the higher base power will make up for the lack of SpA EVs. Overheat would be fine as well since you would hopefully only be using it once for any physical wall that comes in.

WaterUser, in your altered set, you are A) Taking out the only move that Calm Mind boosts and B) Turning Infernape into something that it's not: A wall.

You CANNOT play Infernape defensively. It won't work. Infernape has trouble setting up even with Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, but at least those boost its primary attacking stat enough to where it can be a major threat. Calm Mind only boosts SpA by one stage. The SpD boost won't do much, seeing as its SpD stat is pretty bad as it is. Two Calm Minds might save it from standard KOs, but it has to get those in first, and by the time Infernape does that it'll probably be dead.

Also, Infernape uses Flare Blitz VERY well... on the right set. It doesn't need DEFENSES to use a recoil-inducing move; it needs power to make the use of that move worthwhile. Between the 104(?) Attack stat, STAB on the move, and the 120(?) base power it has, that's plenty. In fact, the low defenses almost JUSTIFY the use of a recoil move. It's going to die in one hit anyway, so why not let it use a powerful attack that has recoil? If a Pokemon has high defenses, wouldn't it make sense for that Pokemon to keep as much health as possible, because it can actually take a hit?

Last edited:

I meant to put swords dance in there, sorry.

But 252 HP EVs and Leftovers? Should be more like Jolly 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom