• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

...Is it possible to get a Magic Guard Clefable in Gen 3? I thought it's only ability then was Cute Charm.

You are right, but maybe Shoddy don't care.

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

There's a chance that its ability will change when evolving from a Clefairy in a Gen IV game, if I remember correctly.

There's a chance that its ability will change when evolving from a Clefairy in a Gen IV game, if I remember correctly.

yes. Regardless if it has one ability or two, pokemon are listed as having two abilitys. Pokemon with one ability have ability 0 and 1 as the ability, such as a 3rd gen clefable. Ability 0 and 1 are cute charm. But since 4th gen has ability 1 changed to magic guard, a 3rd gen clefable with ability 1 can contract magic guard. However, cloning is needed to be sure you have a magic guard clefable. You could luck out though and get one with cute charm.

Just got a shiny charmander UT lv. 1 Jolly nature.
Fortunately he already knows Belly Drum, but how should I go about training him? I want to craft him to be the best with EVs as I can.

Thanks for the input!

Just got a shiny charmander UT lv. 1 Jolly nature.
Fortunately he already knows Belly Drum, but how should I go about training him? I want to craft him to be the best with EVs as I can.

Thanks for the input!

Max out Attack and Speed, then put the rest in Defense. Make sure it has an HP IV of 30, or at least a number which will make it's HP stat even at level 100. Give it a Salac Berry and this moveset:
-Belly Drum
-Substitute
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake or Thunder Punch

If the HP IV will make the HP stat odd at level 100, then use Endure over Substitute.

Is trump card a useful move for a stalling Vaporeon?

No. Wish passing set is one of the best imo for stall:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold
Water Absorb
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe

~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Surf
~ Hidden Power Electric / Ice Beam / Toxic

Do toxic spikes and spikes work together?

Do toxic spikes and spikes work together?

Yes you can halve Stealth Rock, 3 layers of Spikes and 2 layers of Toxic Spikes up all at the same time.

In fact, having Spikes and Toxic Spikes on the field at the same time is a great strategy. Adding Stealth Rock and Gravity to the mix makes it deadly.

If you have Gravity in effect and all entry hazards fully employed on the field, for things such as Charizard, Yanmega, and Articuno, they will take 75% damage and be badly poisoned.

Sweet, that is an amazing strategy.

Sweet, that is an amazing strategy.

I should point out that, while incredibly damaging, a strategy like this would be EXTREMELY hard to set up. You'd need to make sure that your opponent's Rapid Spinner is out of the way, and most people don't bring out their Rapid Spinners until you already have some field obstacles up. Secondly, you would REALLY need to protect your own team from status, as if your opponent DOES get a Rapid Spin off before you can kill it, you need to make sure they're in good enough health to come back in and set them up again.

Finally, most users of Gravity are...well, not very good at it, or generally better used for other strategies. Here's Smogon's complete list of fully-evolved Pokemon that can learn Gravity (OU pokemon are in bold, Uber pokemon in italiacs):

Alakazam
Arceus
Blissey
Bronzong
Chansey
Chimecho
Claydol
Clefable
Cresselia
Deoxys (all formes)
Dialga
Dusknoir
Exeggutor
Forretress
Girafarig
Giratina
Giratina-O
Jirachi
Lunatone
Magneton
Magnezone
Medicham
Metagross
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Porygon-Z
Porygon2
Probopass
Regice
Regigigas
Regirock
Registeel
Sableye
Solrock
Stantler
Starmie
Wigglytuff

As you can see, many of the OU pokemon capable of learning Gravity are, surprisingly, sweepers. Those that aren't usually have better thing to do; Foretress setting up your Spikes and T.Spikes and being a spinner itself, Blissey as a cleric, and Bronzong as a screener, for example. Really, the two best users of Gravity in OU are Dusknoir and Jirachi, both of which are really hard to use without proper support elsewhere on the team.

Jeebus friggin crap. I'm seeing some problemssss.

Let's list the problems you noted:
1. Hard to set up
2. Rapid Spinner must be eliminated
3. Protect team from status
3. ...if I understand it correctly this is the same as number 3. Keeping entry hazard set-ups healthy. So we'll call this 3 too.
4. Lack of good Gravity users

Addressing the second topic of Rapid Spinners coming out, and the last topic of Pokemon that can use it well. First of all, yes, they won't bring out a Rapid Spinner until you set up a hazard. That's common sense. What stops Rapid Spin? Ghost-types. What's one of the, in your words, best users of Gravity? Dusknoir. What type is Dusknoir? Ghost. What are the Rapid Spinners in standard play? Forretress, Starmie, Donphan, and Tentacruel. Does Dusknoir learn moves that can harm these? Yes. What are they? Fire Punch for Forretress, Thunderpunch for Tentacruel and Starmie, and Ice Punch for Donphan. Is having all of these on one set viable? No. However, what can these Pokemon really do to Dusknoir? Not much. Basically you could run this moveset for Dusknoir:

~ Gravity
~ Thunderpunch (hits 2 SE and one neutral), Fire Punch (Hits 1 SE and 1 Neutral), Earthquake (hits 1 SE and 3 neutral), or DynamicPunch (Confusion's annoying, 82% accuracy under Gravity)
~ Will-o-Wisp (for Donphan and to soften up Forretress)
~ Pain Split

Also, Jirachi's hard to use without support? I think not.

Sure, the others listed can be used for other purposes, but the beauty of some of them (especially Cresselia since it's so freaking bulky) is that they can be geared for more specific purposes, such as using Gravity. Also, a good Gravity user is typically bulky, and many of the Pokemon you listed (Blissey, Metagross, Claydol, Cresselia, Forretress, Registeel) are pretty freaking defensive in at least one way.

In my opinion, 2 and 4 are eliminated. That leaves 1 and 3. 3 is VERY easy.

You have two ways of taking care of status: prevention and healing. Prevention will be taken care of by Safeguard, while healing will be taken care of by Heal Bell/Aromatherapy. The best user of Safeguard I've seen is Latias, and obviously there's Blissey for a cleric. Latias can also use Wish to get things back in and heal them. Blissey can also use Stealth Rock. Roserade can learn Aromatherapy and Toxic Spikes or Spikes. Bring it in on something it can kill, they switch out thinking you'll attack, and bam, either your whole team is healed of status, or they have one layer of Toxic Spikes or Spikes to deal with. If you're Sashed, you can set down a second layer of either Spikes or attack. There are others, I'm sure, but these immediately came to mind.

That takes care of 3. Now we move on to 1.

This CAN BE fairly difficult, I must say. The best way to do this is to set up Stealth Rock early. Stealth Rock is the most immediate threat, as it only takes one use to be fully effective. Once that's done, they'll most likely send out their Rapid Spinner, which is when you send out one of two things: A) Your spin BLOCKER, or B) Your spinNER KILLER. Magnezone is, from my experience, the best way to do this. STAB Thunderbolts for Starmie, Tentacruel (probably won't be a OHKO but Tentacruel can't do much back), and Forretress (who can't escape due to Magnet Pull), and HP Grass or Ice for Donphan. Go ahead and set up a Substitute or Magnet Rise (Donphan or Forretress can both carry EQ) and see what they'll do next. Now you KNOW what their Rapid Spinner is, and know how to deal with it promptly. If they're dumb enough to keep in their spinner, go ahead and kill it. Your entry hazard set-ups should be bulky. Tentacruel is my common Toxic Spiker, although Forretress can handle it well too. Roserade can handle the job, as well, although not quite as bulky. There are many good Stealth Rock users out there... Hippowdon being the most physically bulky Pokemon in standard play, Skarmory being up there with it, Forretress (again), Donphan, Swampert... Then there's Spikes... Forretress(AGAIN), Skarmory (again), Roserade (again)... The good thing about Forretress, Tentacruel, and Donphan is that they can also double as Rapid Spinners, which brings up another important topic: for this to work, your Pokemon are going to have to start filling multiple roles. Your Latias might have to be a special wall, cover status, and Wish pass. Your Roserade might have to be a cleric and cover Toxic Spikes set-up. Things like that.

This sort of thing WILL take strategy, but the rewards are tremendous.

The kind of team for this strategy would definitely be a stall team. Stock up the team with bulky users that can hit fairly hard. Hippowdon would also provide Sand Stream to help deal more damage.

I know you hate entry hazards, Edo-kun, but you can't call a strategy implausible just because you don't like it. It HAS been done. Maybe it's difficult, but with practice, it can be managed.

Jeez, Wiil, calm down. I wasn't saying that it was impossible or implausible, just that certain specific threats would have to be addressed -- which you've just outlined, and better than I did.

And on the point about Jirachi, that was just from my own personal experience.

I felt that was a completely calm and (not to toot my own horn) well laid out response.

I've never seen an instance when Jirachi can't be used without setup. Never. Jirachi's got 100s in all stats and very good resistances. Plus it has a very good movepool to work with.

I don't know if this should be asked here or not, so if it should be asked somewhere else, please tell me.
I'm trying to breed a Baton Tossing Jolly Ninjask with Sword Dance, the strategy is to Protect the first round, Speed Boost → Sword Dance, get's hit, holds on with Focus Band if 1HKO'ed → Protect, Speed Boost → Baton Toss to Sweeper.
I know it is common and has can be screwed up easily, but I still want to try it nevertheless. So my question is, should I care about the other IVs other than Speed, since it's just a suicide lead and I just want the stat raises. I'm leaning towards just getting the Speed IV 31, and don't care about the others, should I do this?

I don't know if this should be asked here or not, so if it should be asked somewhere else, please tell me.
I'm trying to breed a Baton Tossing Jolly Ninjask with Sword Dance, the strategy is to Protect the first round, Speed Boost → Sword Dance, get's hit, holds on with Focus Band if 1HKO'ed → Protect, Speed Boost → Baton Toss to Sweeper.
I know it is common and has can be screwed up easily, but I still want to try it nevertheless. So my question is, should I care about the other IVs other than Speed, since it's just a suicide lead and I just want the stat raises. I'm leaning towards just getting the Speed IV 31, and don't care about the others, should I do this?
You need HP and DEF so it can take hits better, speed isn't the only thing to worry about.

You need HP and DEF so it can take hits better, speed isn't the only thing to worry about.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can only imagine 2 scenarios
1. It get's 1HKO'd, hold on with Focus Sash, continue the strategy as usual.
2. It doesn't get 1HKO'ed, yippidie do, continue the strategy as usual.

With my naive notions, I don't see why I should invest my time in getting IV 31s in HP and Defence. Not that I'm saying I'm right, I just want to get more pairs of eyes in this strategy and identify the flaws. If possible, can somebody think of a scenario when the HP/Defence/SD matter in this strategy?

I'd try for 31 in HP, Attack, and Speed at the least. You'll be investing EVs in all of these stats. Ninjask can't take hits.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom