• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Would this have any value?

Suicune - #245 (Timid)
HP: 25 - 27
Att: 0 - 2
Def: 20 - 22
SpA: 30
SpD: 23 - 24
Speed: 25 - 27

Looks pretty good to me. Offensive Suicune isn't as popular as Defensive, but it can do well given the right team. If you can clone I would love a copy of it :3

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Looks pretty good to me. Offensive Suicune isn't as popular as Defensive, but it can do very well given the right team. If you can clone I would love a copy of it :3

Really? I never get lucky with legends. Sweet. I don't have WiFi at the moment, but I should do next week so if you're still interested then, shove a visitor message my way :D

Really? I never get lucky with legends. Sweet. I don't have WiFi at the moment, but I should do next week so if you're still interested then, shove a visitor message my way :D

Oh, awesome. Here is what I saw on the Smogon page that could work for your Suicune:

Offensive Suicune
Timid
Leftovers
~Calm Mind
~Surf/Hydro Pump
~Ice Beam
~Hidden Power Electric (You probably don't have this so you'd need a replacement here)

EV: 172 HP / 120 SpA / 216 Speed

The EV Spread would have to be adjusted slightly depending on what your actual speed IV is. You'll want to use 216 + (31 - Your IV)*4 EVs in speed. So if your IV ends up being 27, you'd basically add 16 EV points to the suggested speed and do something like 172 HP / 104 SpA / 232 Speed or 156 HP / 120 SpA / 232 Spe.

Subcune
Timid
Leftovers
~Substitute
~Calm Mind
~Surf
~Ice Beam

EV: 228 HP / 64 SpA / 216 Spe or 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

Again, you'll have to correct for your actual speed by adding some EVs beyond the recommended 216, and then taking a few out of HP/SpA. For the Substitute set your HP value is a little more important than in the previous offensive Suicune since you want a number that works well with Substitute and Leftovers.

If you can get the exact IVs of your Suicune that would make it much easier to tailor one of these EV spreads to fit your specific needs.

Wow, cheers for the advice!

Edit: The Suicune has HP Fire 66 or 68 (Can't believe how tedious this is without WiFi...)

Would HP Fire be an okay replacement for HP Electric? I'm not sure it would be, but might as well ask.

Last edited:

Are toxic and flame orbs one use only items?

Wow, cheers for the advice!

Edit: The Suicune has HP Fire 66 or 68 (Can't believe how tedious this is without WiFi...)

Would HP Fire be an okay replacement for HP Electric? I'm not sure it would be, but might as well ask.

No, you have Ice Beam for grass types and STAB Surf hurts most steels quite a bit. Better off without HP.

Simple survey question:
How many of you actually go through obtaining perfect IVs for Wifi battling? Like for example, I was training my Breloom recently and narrowed it down to 30 attack IV, 24 HP and 16 Speed, but I don't care for breeding another Shroomish, as easy as breeding is now, even if something like 31 attack, 29 HP and 29 Speed would give me more of a chance.

Simple survey question:
How many of you actually go through obtaining perfect IVs for Wifi battling? Like for example, I was training my Breloom recently and narrowed it down to 30 attack IV, 24 HP and 16 Speed, but I don't care for breeding another Shroomish, as easy as breeding is now, even if something like 31 attack, 29 HP and 29 Speed would give me more of a chance.

i only breed for nature, if i bred for EVs i would go insane

I thought you trained for EVs

Back again, with yet another moveset kunundrum. I was lucky in getting a fairly good Beldum from Steven in Emerald. Needless to say, clone&export was the order of the day. Right now I'm getting him set up for Frontier in Platinum, and will clone him for SS. But I don't know what do do for a final moveset.

Right now I have:
~Hammer Arm
~Meteor Mash
~ Zen Headbutt (Replacement for Psychic, as my Metagross has a higher Attack stat)
~Ice Punch (To cover my Ground weakness, plus give me supereffectives on Flying, Grass, and Dragon)

Now, I need to know two things. Firstly, Hammer Arm replaced EQ. Was this a wise decision, or should I reverse this? Secondly, would Bullet Punch be more useful to me than Meteor Mash?

I thought you trained for EVs

Back again, with yet another moveset kunundrum. I was lucky in getting a fairly good Beldum from Steven in Emerald. Needless to say, clone&export was the order of the day. Right now I'm getting him set up for Frontier in Platinum, and will clone him for SS. But I don't know what do do for a final moveset.

Right now I have:
~Hammer Arm
~Meteor Mash
~ Zen Headbutt (Replacement for Psychic, as my Metagross has a higher Attack stat)
~Ice Punch (To cover my Ground weakness, plus give me supereffectives on Flying, Grass, and Dragon)

Now, I need to know two things. Firstly, Hammer Arm replaced EQ. Was this a wise decision, or should I reverse this? Secondly, would Bullet Punch be more useful to me than Meteor Mash?
You DO train for EVs and here are some pages to help you understand it all. I'm not even sure what he meant by "breeding for EVs."
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EVs
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/evs_ivs

Also Hammer Arm isn't a good EQ replacement and you should have kept it. As for Bullet Punch replacing Meteor Mash..well if you want to have a priority move that will give you a chance of taking down your opponent as they have really low HP, go with Bullet Punch. If you want a chance to raise your Atk then go with Meteor Mash..just remember it also has a chance to miss. It just depends on what you want and what you think is more useful.

Last edited:

Yea, it is a pain choosing. Both get STAB I belive; Bullet punch'd make sense because of priority due to Metagroos being below-average speed wise. But Meteor mash has plenty of power, plus the chance of boosting attack. Accuracy's only a problem once you factor in Zen Headbutt in the same moveset, and it only has 80 accuracy (it is 80, isn't it?)...

Guess I'll just have to try some things out. Bullet Punch on a Metagross is fairly different from Bullet Punch on a Scizor with Technician.

Simple survey question:

Not perfect but close to it. I always go for 31 in speed though. But I rng my guys instead when possible.

Also, don't use bullet punch Gross unless he's a lead or something like a support mon. Scizor is usually the better choice for a CB.

I've been looking at some of the Smogon strategies, and noticed that a lot of the movepools include Substitute
However, from my limited experience of Substitute from battles, doesn't it only work when you are slower than the foe (if you're faster, you set up a Sub and the foe breaks the Sub, you end the turn without doing anything other than wasting 1/4 of your HP) or if you're an excellent anticipator and you predict that the foe is going to switch/use status moves/set up?

I would appreciate it if someone can clear this up for me, and if possible, explain to me the various uses of a Substitute

I've been looking at some of the Smogon strategies, and noticed that a lot of the movepools include Substitute
However, from my limited experience of Substitute from battles, doesn't it only work when you are slower than the foe (if you're faster, you set up a Sub and the foe breaks the Sub, you end the turn without doing anything other than wasting 1/4 of your HP) or if you're an excellent anticipator and you predict that the foe is going to switch/use status moves/set up?

I would appreciate it if someone can clear this up for me, and if possible, explain to me the various uses of a Substitute

You were getting at it by the end of your paragraph there. Pokemon that are good at forcing switches are great to use Substitute on (Heatran being a great example). When you Sub on the switch, it eases prediction since you can freely use any attack you want without fear of damage or status the next turn.

Substitute has uses on sweepers as well such as Substituting down to activate a pinch berry (SubPetaya Empoleon) or Substituting while setting up (Sub/Calm Mind sweepers such as Mismagius and Jirachi, or Sub/Swords Dance Sweepers like Rhyperior). There is also the always useful Substitute/Focus Punch combo as well.

It's a wonderful move, and I haven't done it justice with this short explanation.

Substitute, as Troggy said, is wonderful. The 25% HP loss is an acceptable tradeoff, especially for the pinch berries. (I even considered a unique Sub-Leichi Yanmega.)

If you have a Sub up, this is a wonderful thing about it: you can't get statused. Pokes that rely on status (such as walls) are usually screwed over by Subs blocking their Toxic, Thunder Wave, etc. And it usually allows you to set up on them, safely using moves like Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and more to get ready to destroy your foe entirely. 101 HP Subs are also reliable because Blissey (among others) can't use Seismic Toss to break them the first turn; they have to use it twice before it fades.

My Blissey was used against me by a YouTuber named Icee2K1. That Mismagius Subbed up, so I couldn't Toxic-stall it. And while I struggled pointlessly to break the Sub with Ice Beam (couldn't get S-Toss, which wouldn't have helped, anyway), Mismagius set up with Calm Mind, restoring HP with Leftovers over turns. When I managed to break through, another Sub was set easily. When 6 CMs were up, it was game over.

What Troggy and SharKing said were exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot for the explanation!

One of the thing that bugged me was the Sub/Focus Punch Combo as Troggy mentioned. I've seen it quite a few times, but I have yet fully get the grasp of it.

Take Pikachu for example, how would a Pikachu successfully pull off this combo?

What Troggy and SharKing said were exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot for the explanation!

One of the thing that bugged me was the Sub/Focus Punch Combo as Troggy mentioned. I've seen it quite a few times, but I have yet fully get the grasp of it.

Take Pikachu for example, how would a Pikachu successfully pull off this combo?

Pikachu is too frail to use the Sub-Punch combo normally, so it has to rely on Encore to make the opponent repeat set-up moves.

Normally, Pikachu can make use of this, but Raichu can do it better:

Pikachu/Raichu
-Subsitute
-Encore
-Focus Punch
-Thunderbolt/ThunderPunch/Volt Tackle
Item: Light Ball (Pikachu)/Leftovers (Raichu)
Nature: Jolly/Hasty
EVs: 4 HP or SAtk/252 Atk/252 Spe

I've been SRing for a Ho-Oh in Heart Gold and I got an Adamant one with 13-14/27-28/14-15/x/8-9/30. The defenses suck, and the standard Ho-Oh seems to rely on its bulk a lot, as it is rather slow in Ubers. However, I'm quite pleased with the attack and the speed is near-perfect. If it were 31, I would definitely just take it, but it's not. What do you guys think? Should I keep it or should I keep trying?

I'd keep trying, its defenses are OK, and its just a high attack and speed. I'm sure with a bit more patience you can catch a better one.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom