• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Actually, Dusknoir should have a speed iv of at least 26 to outspeed 0 speed forretress with a perfect speed iv. Blissey it doesn't really matter, but as noir is usually a spin blocker, it helps to outspeed the spinner and use painsplit, etc

Actually, Dusknoir should have a speed iv of at least 26 to outspeed 0 speed forretress with a perfect speed iv. Blissey it doesn't really matter, but as noir is usually a spin blocker, it helps to outspeed the spinner and use painsplit, etc

Noir would never outspeed starmie. It can be so hard to spin these days and starmie can sweep as well as spin. I thought starmie was a more popular spinner.

forry is the most popular spinner by far, followed by starmie, tentacruel, and then donphan. While starmie is the mot common pokemon learning rapid spin, being used about twice as much as forry, it only carries rapid spin about half the time. Forry carries it like always

How do I calculate boosts from abilities, items and weather conditions?

For rain would I find half of the pokemon's attack/sp. atk stat and add it to its attack/sp. atk stat for when its using a water move. For example kingdra, should it be using a water move, be backed by a 475.5 base attack/sp. atk stat because its max in each area is 317, divide it by two (158.5) and add it to 317 and you'll get 475.5. Is this correct?

Is this method the same for abilities and items?

how much is a stage boost/subtraction?

That's close enough (although only integers are considered in the actual damage formula, there are more things to deal with too, and you'll only be off by a little). However, the standard in competitive battle is to multiply the move power in weather, since it only applies to certain moves and not every move. For example, an unSTABd Surf would be 142.5 power instead of 95 power in the rain.

You can do the same for abilities and items. However, remember the standard. Multiply the stat if it affects everything from that stat; multiply the move power if it does not. This method makes a lot more sense.

A stage boost is stat*(number+2)/2 when stage is positive or zero. A subtraction is stat*2/(number+2) when the stage is negative or zero.

That's close enough (although only integers are considered in the actual damage formula, there are more things to deal with too, and you'll only be off by a little). However, the standard in competitive battle is to multiply the move power in weather, since it only applies to certain moves and not every move. For example, an unSTABd Surf would be 142.5 power instead of 95 power in the rain.

You can do the same for abilities and items. However, remember the standard. Multiply the stat if it affects everything from that stat; multiply the move power if it does not. This method makes a lot more sense.

A stage boost is stat*(number+2)/2 when stage is positive or zero. A subtraction is stat*2/(number+2) when the stage is negative or zero.

Ok so lets say if kingdra used dragon dance and I wanted to know what his speed is with the boost (kingdra isn't in the rain) then I would do this, with the knowledge that it has max speed:

295*(1+2)/2=442.5 (442 since only integers matter)

However, is the number part of the formula how many times the stage was increased or subtracted?

Ok so lets say if kingdra used dragon dance and I wanted to know what his speed is with the boost (kingdra isn't in the rain) then I would do this, with the knowledge that it has max speed:

295*(1+2)/2=442.5 (442 since only integers matter)

However, is the number part of the formula how many times the stage was increased or subtracted?

Yes, the 'number' thing is the absolute value of the stage. So you would still put 1 in for a -1 stat, you would just put it in the other formula.

It's actually 443, it's always rounded up.

Integer division means it's always floored. So it would be 442. You can check that here.

I have two questions.
1. You send out Aggron, you're opponent sends out Typhlosion. Your Aggron uses Substitute, you're opponent switches to Flygon. You're opopnent's Flygon uses Earthquake, it hits the substitute (not sure if it breaks, haven't done the calculations), your Aggron uses Avalanche. Will Aggron's Avalanche do double the damage because Flygon attacked it? Or will it not because technically hit the substitute?

2. How much damage will this Meganium's Grass Knot be able to do to a Mamoswine with this EV spread?

Spr_4h_154_m.png

Meganium-Leftovers
Bold (Def+,Atk-)
216 HP/148 Def/144 SpA

This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't come across an easy answer in my team-building research(and yes, it was kind of prompted by the post above mine; I'm not arguing or anything, I just have a question!)

How does one decide when not to put all possible EVs into a stat? If for some reason you don't want to do a 252/252/4 spread, I mean, and I see a whole lot of more complicated EV spreads. How do you decide when one more point in Speed or Sp. Def is really important enough to take that point from somewhere else? Or when a stat is important, but not important enough to put the full 252 in?

I hope I'm making sense; it's been something I haven't really been able to figure out on my own. Or maybe it's right in front of my face and I'm just not seeing it; that's happened before, too. ^^;

This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't come across an easy answer in my team-building research(and yes, it was kind of prompted by the post above mine; I'm not arguing or anything, I just have a question!)

How does one decide when not to put all possible EVs into a stat? If for some reason you don't want to do a 252/252/4 spread, I mean, and I see a whole lot of more complicated EV spreads. How do you decide when one more point in Speed or Sp. Def is really important enough to take that point from somewhere else? Or when a stat is important, but not important enough to put the full 252 in?

I hope I'm making sense; it's been something I haven't really been able to figure out on my own. Or maybe it's right in front of my face and I'm just not seeing it; that's happened before, too. ^^;

Most people use a common set of pokemon because of their high base stats in certain areas. These pokemon are generally the ones in the OU tier, and the most commonly used pokemon in the OU tier. So, basically you look at a damage calculator:

http://www.smogon.com/calc/

And then, say you're ev training your metagross to outspeed choice band tyranitars. (Both commonly used OU pokemon). You would EV train for just enough speed to beat out the tyranitar. You would see how many threats you need to counter and calculate each, and see what is worthwhile. Also, people plug in defense/spdefense/hp so that they live consistently for a 3HKO or 2HKO. For example, if you were to try to survive a CB tyranitar's Equake on a metagross, you would calculate enough defense/hp to survive the earthquake by as low of an hp you can get (1% left), so that you can counter with your own move. As such, you would put in enough attack EVs to OHKO certain threats.

Basically, it's just based on countering common pokemon with your own common pokemon. Another example, is some people put 12 speed evs on machamp to outspeed other machamps, and other people put 16 speed evs on machamp to outspeed 12 speed ev machamps.
Of course, this assumes all flawless stats.

Helpful things!

That makes a lot of sense; thanks so much! This is why I love Pokémon; there's so much depth to it. I'll do some more research; thanks again. :)

*abuses semicolons*

Last edited:
1000th post in the thread. Awesome!

2. How much damage will this Meganium's Grass Knot be able to do to a Mamoswine with this EV spread?

Meganium-Leftovers
Bold (Def+,Atk-)
216 HP/148 Def/144 SpA

depends on the mamo's nature, ivs, and evs. Assuming a standard CB mamo, it does 108.6% - 128.5%. Mixed mamo gets hit with 121.9% - 143.5%

1000th post in the thread. Awesome! Depends on the mamo's nature, ivs, and evs. Assuming a standard CB mamo, it does 108.6% - 128.5%. Mixed mamo gets hit with 121.9% - 143.5%
Thank you! Any ideas on my other question?

OK, new question. Which would you say is better, Scizor or Metagross? As mentioned somewhere else, Metagross usually uses Agility then gives out a Strong Atack, wheras Scizor Swords Dances then gives out a fast attack.
I like Metagross better. It's movepool just seems more diverse to me, and I tested both on Shoddy. Metagross swept every time.
What would you say, and why?

OK, new question. Which would you say is better, Scizor or Metagross? As mentioned somewhere else, Metagross usually uses Agility then gives out a Strong Atack, wheras Scizor Swords Dances then gives out a fast attack.
I like Metagross better. It's movepool just seems more diverse to me, and I tested both on Shoddy. Metagross swept every time.
What would you say, and why?
When it comes to battling the opponents Pokemon, Metagross has Scizor beat. It just has so much more to it than Scizor, the obvious example would be that it can actually pull off a mixed attacking moveset. Also, Metagross can make a great lead with Stealth Rock. But, Scizor is no slouch, by anymeans. Scizor is used, more often than not, to aid it's team while doing damage to the opponent. It shares Agility with Metagross, but Scizor is able to pass that & Swords Dance on to it's teammates. Not to mention it has no Ground weakness, making Earthquake less scary. Overall, if you want attacking power, choose Metagross. If you want a team player, go with Scizor.

While imo they're apples and oranges in relation to their use in the current metagame, Scizor. It's #1 in OU for a reason. You have SD to boost your attack, CB U-turn to scout enemies, and the magic Technician Bullet Punch that changed the face of the metagame to pick off weak opponents. Its usefulness is unparalleled, though its movepool is sparse.

I really see Metagross as more of a supporter than something to actually sweep, between options like double screens, Trick, and Stealth Rock.

And honestly, if you want to pick one for sweeping, it's up to your own personal preference, but I'd just use Scizor since it can help get you out of any bad jam quickly. There's really no better one because both have good qualities to them and are an excellent choice for any offensive team.

I have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorite threads.

Is Explosion common enough to have an Explosion-sponge(I was thinking Dusknoir) on a standard team?

You don't really need a specific slot for an Explosion sponge. While it is relatively common, all you really need is a Steel type (offensive Scizor and Heatran do not count, they'll die to some Explosions) or something with Protect if you have good prediction. Or yeah, you can run a ghost type if you want, but only if it serves some other useful purpose for your team; Explosion immunity comes second.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom