• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Battle Tower doesn't really require any strategy to win. Just bring a strong Pokemon that hits hard and spam the strongest attack. It's really a lot different than competitive battling.

NOT true. :C Maybe to get the medals that actually matter in game, but for serious 100+ winning streaks, you need some serious strategy.

NOT true. :C Maybe to get the medals that actually matter in game, but for serious 100+ winning streaks, you need some serious strategy.

And some luck. Without it, you'll lose to all the DT and OHKO-move spammers. The Battle Tower certainly isn't a good place to practice competitive battling.

Both moves bypass Substitutes. Haze penetrates Protect, but Taunt doesn't.

Not sure if this goes here, but can anyone help me find out what IVs I would need to get a pokemon with HP Water?

Not sure if this goes here, but can anyone help me find out what IVs I would need to get a pokemon with HP Water?
There are several different combinations that will get you HP Water. Do you have a specific Base Power in mind?

There are several different combinations that will get you HP Water. Do you have a specific Base Power in mind?

Power is determined aswell? I thought it was just type... I feel such noob. Haha.
Erm, I'd like a decently high one, around 70-80 if that's possible?

Yeah there are really quite a lot of different IV combination's to give you max HP Water...but the max it can go to is 70.

Right, I'd like the highest possible then. So that's 70? Any help is much appreciated.

Well, the following IV spreads should give you HP Water 70. Subtracting a multiple of 4 from any IV will also give you the same result.
HP/Atk/Def/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def/Speed
30/30/30/30/31/31
30/31/31/30/31/30
31/30/30/30/31/31
31/31/31/30/31/30

Thanks! Better get to work now, it's going to take a while :p

Does STAB count as boosting base power?
For example I have a Pokémon with technician ability.It uses an attack with BP 50,but gets STAB,so the BP would be 75 and technician wouldn't give any boost?

I read somewhere that if a Pokemon is dual-typed, its STAB is only 1.25x. Is this true?

Does STAB count as boosting base power?
For example I have a Pokémon with technician ability.It uses an attack with BP 50,but gets STAB,so the BP would be 75 and technician wouldn't give any boost?

STAB is factored in after Technician, a good example of this is Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Hi, i am thinking of giving Abomasnow a stalling movesets. I have come out with 2 builds and i would like to have some recommendations.

Subseeder:
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard
Leech Seed

I got this from smogon and this is a standard build. The leech seed could benefit most of my pokes especially my Aqua ring walrein. Morever, I could also restore more hp used in substitute together with leftovers. However, rather than stalling, most of time i might use it to pass the leech seed effect to my other team because I find it hard to initiate 2-3 turns due to its low base speed and exposure to weakness. But i could overcome the speed problem by baton passing the speed boost from my ninjask. (I am aware that ninjask is meant to pass the boost to sweepers. lets assume most of my sweepers are dead or it could not effectively deal damage to the current opponent due to type resistances)

Swagger stall:
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard
Swagger

I'll get the chance to do various stuffs when my opponent hurts himself or switch out like setting substitute, attacking with blizzard or continue to stall while watch my opponent to damage himself. I think this build could also save me from some other risk like my exposure to many weaknesses. If I timed my next swagger right, i could use another swagger again when I predict the opponent is going to snap out of confusion since most of the time my speed is always slower than theirs. this could grant me a more lasting substitute. But yes, it is still risky since this is luck based by 50/50 chance and the greatest threat is killed by a boosted up attack and the opponent will become unstoppable unless he is a special attaker...

I wanted to remove Blizzard to combine both leech seed and swagger. But i guess this leaves me open to taunt but I still haven't dropped the idea. And without attacking move, i could do nothing after setting up everything (substitute, leech seed, swagger). Worse, it might be even ruined by a single substitute. That said, it has a benefit of PP overage compare to Blizzard having maximum of 8 shots, and its main job is stall after all.

I haven't really done any competitive battles yet so I might be inexperienced and pls point out any flaws. But i do think nothing is perfect though, if i want some advantage then i will have to deal with some disadvantages.

The worse opponent i could think of may be Pressure staller i guess. Since I don't have enough PP to abuse Blizzard and subtitute could block almost everything I have. If the opponent is same with me (substitute+protect) I'm done for because I still lack the experience for mind games. Good thing is i might still might able to bypass the protect by chance.

A little more note: I planned to use Abomasnow during the late game since my team is not a complete stall team. The only 1 that will really benefit with Abomasnow is my Walrein. (and my still pending clefable i guess) However, swagger could benefit my Absol's Punishment move if I am not swaggling any enemy that has higher speed than it.

Last edited:
Hi, i am thinking of giving Abomasnow a stalling movesets. I have come out with 2 builds and i would like to have some recommendations.

Subseeder:
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard
Leech Seed

I got this from smogon and this is a standard build. The leech seed could benefit most of my pokes especially my Aqua ring walrein. However, rather than stalling, most of time i might use it to pass the leech seed effect to my other team because I find it hard to initiate 2-3 turns due to its low base speed and exposure to weakness. But i could overcome the speed problem by baton passing the speed boost from my ninjask. (I am aware that ninjask is meant to pass the boost to sweepers. lets assume most of my sweepers are dead or it could not effectively deal damage to the current opponent due to type resistances)

Swagger stall:
Substitute
Protect
Blizzard
Swagger

I'll get the chance to do various stuffs when my opponent hurts himself or switch out like setting substitute, attacking with blizzard or continue to stall while watch my opponent to damage himself. I think this build could also save me from some other risk like my exposure to many weaknesses. If a timed my next swagger right, i could use another swagger again when I predict the opponent is going to snap out of confusion. this could grant me a more lasting substitute. But yes, it is still risky since this is luck based by 50/50 chance and the greatest threat is killed by a boosted up attack and the opponent will become unstoppable unless he is a special attaker...

I wanted to remove Blizzard to combine both leech seed and swagger. But i guess this leaves me open to taunt but I still haven't dropped the idea.

I haven't really done any competitive battles yet so I might be inexperienced and pls point out any flaws. But i do think nothing is perfect though

My suggestion is, instead of blizzard, reflect. Stall teams need at least reflect to survive, since attack teams are far more common than sp.atk

Possiblity two: Leechseed and Swagger, what more to tick off your opponent? :D

Hmm, but i have thought of reflect before but without blizzard i would leave myself open to taunts and reflect will wear off over time. more importantly, swagger could not really coexist with reflect because it is risky when i switch to others since i can't baton pass. Furthermore, swagger boost eventually overrides reflect.

Edited my previous post a little about the swagger + leech seed and also various minor detail regarding both sets

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom