• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Hi, I'm new to Competitive Battling and a good friend RNG'd me a shiny Eevee with a Careful Nature (as Umbreon seems to be my Favorite shiny eeveelution) I need a moveset and EV's for the Umbreon. i'm pretty sure that Umbreon makes a pretty good Wall on my team. and usual walls have 252 HP and then some 100 something in Def. and S.Def that makes it exactly 252 when putting them together too tired to do the math. He came with the egg moves -Wish, Toxic, and Dig. thank you beforehand because I want my Umbreon to be really good on my team

Hi, I'm new to Competitive Battling and a good friend RNG'd me a shiny Eevee with a Careful Nature (as Umbreon seems to be my Favorite shiny eeveelution) I need a moveset and EV's for the Umbreon. i'm pretty sure that Umbreon makes a pretty good Wall on my team. and usual walls have 252 HP and then some 100 something in Def. and S.Def that makes it exactly 252 when putting them together too tired to do the math. He came with the egg moves -Wish, Toxic, and Dig. thank you beforehand because I want my Umbreon to be really good on my team

Since it's not Sassy, and it doesn't have Curse: Try this set for size:
-Wish
-Toxic
-Payback
-Taunt/Protect
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/92 SDef/64 Spe
Item: Leftovers

You'll have to get rid of Dig, though. Attacks like Dig and Fly aren't useful in competitive battling since the opponent can switch to something that can take the hit before it lands.

Hi, at the end I choosed to let my Abomasnow to have the following moveset to the its job for stalling.
-Protect
-Substitute
-Swagger
-Leech Seed

I plan on giving it a Calm nature and i need advise for the EV spread and also maybe how to put the PP ups on it.

Hi, at the end I choosed to let my Abomasnow to have the following moveset to the its job for stalling.
-Protect
-Substitute
-Swagger
-Leech Seed

I plan on giving it a Calm nature and i need advise for the EV spread and also maybe how to put the PP ups on it.

I know that you're looking for the EV spread, but I have my own ideas:
This Abomasnow is completely screwed by Taunt. To let it make the most out of Snow Warning, replace Swagger with Blizzard (it's 100% accurate in Hail). It's also better off as Timid with this EV spread: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe. If you want to keep your nature, use this EV spread: 252 HP/64 Def/192 SDef.

Edit: I think you can find PP ups scattered around in the game.

Last edited:
Yes, i am aware of the risks as i stated it in previous posts. But after considering that i have protect to scout the incoming taunt I think I should be safe from the risk. At the end i have chosen swagger because it could grant me more turns for saving or setting up substitute. This is because I'm kinda afraid that my Abomasnow could be KO'ed easily due to its 7 weaknesses and slow base speed. If I could predict when my opponent is switching out or snapping out of confusion, i might be able to earn extra turns.

The reason i choose to give up blizzard might be due to after i considerate the amount of PP of Blizzard and the leech seed could not affect certain pokemon like steel types or liquid oozer like tentacurel while most of them are immune to ice moves too. Although I didn't plan to use Abomasnow to fight them all but most likely it will always be the last pokemon standing because I would switch it out after setting up the hail for my Walrein.

However, rather than taunts, I think my moveset might face greater risk fighting a substitute user. As i would be forced to switch out and he might gain many turns to do many set up. One turn for me to switch out, another one or two for breaking the substitute.

I'm still inexperience in competitive battles though, as i only have done wifi battle once. So more advises are appreciated.

Edit: I'll try to think more about the movesets and thanks for the advise!

Last edited:
-Wish
-Toxic
-Payback
-Taunt/Protect

You'll have to get rid of Dig, though. Attacks like Dig and Fly aren't useful in competitive battling since the opponent can switch to something that can take the hit before it lands.

Ok, now i just need to train the lvl 1 Eevee up.

Could i get a definition of what this moveset does? and why does the nature Sassy only work with Curse??

Ok, now i just need to train the lvl 1 Eevee up.

Could i get a definition of what this moveset does? and why does the nature Sassy only work with Curse??

This set is one of Umbreon's supporting sets, since it's a defensive Pokemon.

I was wondering about the answer to your second question as well, but here's what I think: the -Speed nature won't make the Speed drops from Curse a difference. Also, it increases the chances that Umbreon will go last, since Payback's power doubles if Umbreon goes last.

This set is one of Umbreon's supporting sets, since it's a defensive Pokemon.

I was wondering about the answer to your second question as well, but here's what I think: the -Speed nature won't make the Speed drops from Curse a difference. Also, it increases the chances that Umbreon will go last, since Payback's power doubles if Umbreon goes last.

ok, and does anyone here know what Tier Umbreon is in???? I've heard it's been fluctuating between OU,BL,and UU. I think I checked Smogon on this and that it was OU, should I just base my facts of Tiers off their.

EDIT: sorry for all these questions! ok. If I'm trying to work that support set so that my Umbreon can keep getting Toxic on people and then using Payback and Umbreon's great defense to keep knocking their pokemon down. then why again do I have Speed EV's?

Last edited:
-Wish
-Toxic
-Payback
-Taunt/Protect

My LAST question. is why am I getting EV's in Speed? shouldn't I be splitting the EV's of Def. and S.Def evenly and 252 in HP???

My LAST question. is why am I getting EV's in Speed? shouldn't I be splitting the EV's of Def. and S.Def evenly and 252 in HP???

The Speed EVs let you outspeed a few walls so you can Toxic them. Most defensive Pokemon run 252 HP to make the most out of their defensive capabilities. Oh, and I meant 164 Spe in the EV spread I mentioned.

Why do people use Bronzong and not Probopass? he has higher S.DEF AND Def. i dont get it, put Magnet rise on him, Iron Defense/Sub. Lock On. and Zap Cannon (+pp.ups) why do people use bronzong more??? Is it the 4xweakness of Fighting?

Why do people use Bronzong and not Probopass? he has higher S.DEF AND Def. i dont get it, put Magnet rise on him, Iron Defense/Sub. Lock On. and Zap Cannon (+pp.ups) why do people use bronzong more??? Is it the 4xweakness of Fighting?

People use Bronzong more because it has Levitate to negate one of its weaknesses. It also has a good typing (Steel/Psychic, the same typing as Metagross), as well as a range of support moves. Probopass, on the other hand, has spectacular defenses, but has a terrible typing (Rock/Steel, giving it 3 weaknesses to common types (Water, as well as 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Ground).

People use Bronzong more because it has Levitate to negate one of its weaknesses. It also has a good typing (Steel/Psychic, the same typing as Metagross), as well as a range of support moves. Probopass, on the other hand, has spectacular defenses, but has a terrible typing (Rock/Steel, giving it 3 weaknesses to common types (Water, as well as 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Ground).

Yes, but Magnet rise and Elec attacks take care of 2 weaknesses and nothing can 1shot it unless it had already set up

where would i post a thread to talk about egg moves? a breeding thread - it kind of falls under the subject of this subforum but it's more about breeding than battling (although the breeding will lead to battling...)

video games section for sure, competitive pokemon assumes you can get any possible move on a said pokemon, regardless of how, whereas only over wifi you need to actually figure out how to get the moves, and that is more a video games thing.

Re-posting here (got warning the last time).

Reading some articles on bulbapedia about both the grass and the flying type,you can clearly see that those types are no match for other ubber types like fighting or ground.
Considering,how grass is a starter type,do you really think it is overshadowed by fire and water types?
And could someone please tell me what are the use and the advantages of both the grass and flying types?
Thanks in advance.

Hopefully,this time I get a satisfactory answer.

they have a good amount of weaknesses, but they offensivly beat common types like fighting, ground, and water

they have a good amount of weaknesses, but they offensivly beat common types like fighting, ground, and water
So in terms of starter pokemon,is grass equally powerful with water and fire? and speaking of which,which type is the best starter type? water,fire or grass?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom