• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

So I'm deciding to use Latios in the Battle Tower, I heard Soul Dew doesn't work in it. I'd like confirmation on this.

I can honestly confirm that this is true, and Soul dew is not allowed in the battle frontier/battle tower.

Anyone have a good idea for my Togekiss? I need some advice.

Togekiss (Male) @ Wise Glasses (?)
Quiet/Serene Grace
30/x/30/31/31/x
EV: 252 SpAtk, 129 Def/SpDef
Moves:
Hidden Power (Ice 70)
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
????

Aaaagh Togekiss needs Earth Power!!! Need item suggestions, 4th move suggestions, and general criticism.

Modest over quiet nature. Choice specs. Flamethrower. Split the Def EV's between HP and Spe.

Last edited:
It's meant to be a TR set. Speed IV is 3. Why Flamethrower? I was considering Water Pulse for con hax and Fire/Ground coverage.

Oh right, you didn't mention it was a TR set. I'd still go with choice specs to boost the SpAtk and I always use flamethrower on my Togekiss to hit Grass and Steel. You don't really want to be going after Fire/Ground types with waterpulse, it's not powerful enough.

But Air Slash and Aura Sphere take care of Grass/Steel....? I agree with the Water Pulse thing. I would do Nasty Plot, but it's one caught in the wild, so it can't :( Any thoughts on something like Ominous Wind or Silver Wind?

EDIT: WP also gets quad against the ever-common Rock-Ground combo.

I really think you should consider flamethrower, some of the most common steel types found in OU (Scizor, Skarmory, Jirachi, Metagross) are damaged normally by fighting so aura sphere isn't going to be that effective against them.

Quiet/Serene Grace
30/x/30/31/31/x
Moves:
Hidden Power (Ice 70)
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
????

Aaaagh Togekiss needs Earth Power!!! Need item suggestions, 4th move suggestions, and general criticism.

For a Trick Room Togekiss with a 70 power HP Ice, use a 2 IV in speed and any attack IV with a remainder of 3 when divided by 4. You might as well go with 3 to reduce confusion damage if you're online, but otherwise, anything fitting that formula will work. That includes 31, incidentally.

Edit: Although actually, that assumes your HP and defense are both 31. If they are 30 as you say, speed should be 3 and attack should have a remainder of 2 or 3 when divided by 4.

Quiet/Serene Grace
30/x/30/31/31/x
Moves:
Hidden Power (Ice 70)
Air Slash
Flamethrower
Grass Knot

How about this? Changes in bold. Was considering Choice Specs, but I just don't want the restriction of one move :/ I already have the seed picked out, the IV's are 30/19/30/31/31/11. I'm catching this sucka in a Premier Ball.

EDIT: DARN IT! Got the Speed IV wrong when I listed it first time. Sorry What? :embarass:

Ok, i'd probably go for a life orb or possibly leftovers then. I wouldn't go for grass knot, but that's just because I hate the move. Have you thought about shadow ball instead of grass knot?

Yeah, I was, acually. It's a good idea; Gengar is REALLY annoying, and ditto with Alakazam. That was also when I started thinking about Ominous Wind.

Alright guys, I've seen something flying around the forums lately. Sould Dew doesn't work in the Battle Tower apparently. Is that a rumor or what? Because I don't really see why or how it couldn't. =/

EDIT: So... I just saw like... 6 posts before me someone asked the same thing. *facepalm*

Does anybody know WHY it doesn't though?

Because Latias and Latios are allowed. The Soul Dew easily makes them overpowered. It basically gives them +1 SpA/+1 SpD (the equivalent of a single Calm Mind) with no drawbacks. Soul Dew was banned when Latias was allowed in standard, and the Specs set was still pretty destructive. Now imagine that without being locked into a move AND having tons of special defense. And the fact that Latios has 20 more special attack than Latias.

And the reason they're allowed is because the other non-event base 600s are allowed.

although quit frankly, the battle frontier fucking deserves getting soul dew draco meteors being spammed in their faces considering how it's fucking coded

Last edited:
So they just all together banned an item? o_O Weird. It definitely makes it... "fair" though. By the way, while talking about the Frontier, I have but one rant. Gengar in Diamond/Pearl's Battle Tower had a set where it knew Gunk Shot.

Yeah. Gengar still can't get Gunk Shot, even though it's a move tutor move. >:/

By the way, while talking about the Frontier, I have but one rant. Gengar in Diamond/Pearl's Battle Tower had a set where it knew Gunk Shot.

Yeah. Gengar still can't get Gunk Shot, even though it's a move tutor move. >:/
You sure it wasn't Sludge Bomb?

How do you calculate a Pokemon's total defense/sp. def when light screen/reflect is in place? Like...what's the formula?

How do you calculate a Pokemon's total defense/sp. def when light screen/reflect is in place? Like...what's the formula?

Actually, damage is just reduced by half from whatever screen is up. They actually do not modify a Pokemon's def/special defense.

I am planning to breed a Snorunt/Froslass for my hail team after i bred my tentacool and i would like some advise.

Nature: Timid
EV: 248HP, 32 Spe, 228Def/SpA
Item: Leftovers
Moveset
-Substitute
-Spikes
-Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave
-Blizzard

I'm still choosing between def IV or SpA IV because i'm not sure whether i should enhance attack or not.

I also need advise on whether i should use confuse ray over thunder wave.

Confuse ray: grants me much more chances for enemy to successfully hit me. I could have around 60% chance not being hit compare to 40% with paralyze when the snow cloak is on but my opponent could snap out of confusion anytime. But if i'm planning to get toxic spikes support from my tentacruel i guess i should choose this.

Thunder Wave: allows me to disable my enemy without recovering from it unless he has aromatherapy or heal bell in his team. It also allows me to disable those enemies who cant be affected by toxic spikes such as Flying, Levitates, and steel types.

I once thought that i should replace Blizzard into some novelty option like Destiny Bond or Spite but of them leaves my open to taunt. Destiny Bond could bring down something just in case i cant manage to survive that long after setting up 2-3 layers of spikes and might as well bring down something together.

Spite could actually proofs to be useful if I could manage to stall my enemy and cut off their PP as mostly their PP should range around 5-10 for the stronger moves. I could use it to disable the moves that breaks my Substitute.If i could cut down some PP of stone moves such as Stone Edge/Rock Slide (10PP) or most fire moves(15PP), the rest of my ice pokes could be less threatened by it. Spite could also potentially force a switch out because my opponent might switch for other options and my spite would fail. If i can make use of it another confuse or paralyze it could be nice.

But yeah, I admit these 2 novelty moveset are very slow and annoying actually... I just thought of them for fun and might as well put them in since i think there is a little potential after i given some thoughts.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom