• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Re: Is it a good idea to be an all-out attacker?

because, say you are attacking and all, and you uturn out and you switch in a wall. How does that do any damage to the other team. Its just set up bait. If it is bulky but still offensive then it is trying to take hits and dish them back, which isnt the job of a wall, which is to take hits and recover the damage. If you want pokemon which can take hits well and recover, look at stuff like bulky d-nite, most celebi sets, gliscor, or gyarados

ok, something that can stall and still do lots of damage, makes more sense than just calling it a wall or it can also be called an offspring of a wall and an attacker

I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried this before. I've used it often in-game with Pokemon like Red's Pikachu that are just plain annoying, but I'm not sure how it'll stand up competitively.
Anyhow, here it is. I'm not an expert at distributing EVs, so I'll give it a go.
Gengar@Focus Sash-Timid Nature
252 Spe/12 HP/244 Special Attack
-Curse
-Hypnosis
-Mean Look
-Dream Eater

The idea is that you switch in Gengar as a counter to something else, then Mean Look on the switch. Hypnosis the next turn and Curse, then Dream Eater to recover health. Of course, the main problem with this set is that priority (Sucker Punch, anyone?) moves from this counter will hurt and Hypnosis has terrible accuracy. Add to that the fact that if the counter gets in a hit, Curse won't work. Still, I'm wondering if it's feasible.

Its not that great honestly, and pokemon like perish trap lapras with sing are better. Foucus sash rarely helps you because of SR, and hypnosis misses almost half the time. Dream eater makes it taunt bait. its too frail to survive two hits. Lastly curse+ sash is redundant, as they basically contradict each other. I you are left with 1 HP, you die when you curse, and they switch out. If you curse first, your sash is useless.

Hey guys, maybe you all can help me with this. I have a shiny Sassy Eevee that I want to train up. I plan on keeping it as an Eevee, since I hate how all the Shiny Eeveelutions look. I want to give it a build that lets it keep Wish. I usually go to Smogon for my builds, but they don't have any for Wish Eevee. Any of you happen to know one?

Because I didn't want it to get overlooked.

I can't think of any moveset that makes use of the wish. How about toxic stalling or baton passing curse? You might have to breed again another eevee for curse though. (Smeargle seem to be only parent that can teach both)

Are you going to use it in a NFE game?

@AuraSoul: Only on stall teams with a focus on shuffling. It's more common in ubers where you have Lugia. Typically, Skarmory, Swampert, and Zapdos run Roar/Whirlwind. It's uncommon, but no unheard of.

@Rellik: It depends on what Eeveelution you want most. Vaporeon and Umbreon are probably the most ideal Eeveelutions for your Eevee.

I can't think of any moveset that makes use of the wish. How about toxic stalling or baton passing curse? You might have to breed again another eevee for curse though. (Smeargle seem to be only parent that can teach both)

Are you going to use it in a NFE game?
The whole point is to use this Eevee, because it's shiny.

@Rellik: It depends on what Eeveelution you want most. Vaporeon and Umbreon are probably the most ideal Eeveelutions for your Eevee.

Like I said, I have no intention of evolving this Eevee. I'm starting to think I should just give it ten Vitamins in each stat and call it a day.

Because I didn't want it to get overlooked.

Patience dude. Eevee really does nothing by itself. If it's Sassy, it's begging for Curse, but you can't get that because you don't want to use a different one. Wish is cool, but that's about the ONLY cool thing it has. Eevee has Adaptability right? If so, use Return. If not, this thing is already useless in competitive anyway. As said before, it could Toxistall, giving it heavy HP and Def EV input. See what Hidden Power it has too. Who knows, it might actually have a really good one (Water would be nice).

Need help on this question as it would affect what i would breed for next project. (Semi urgent)

Will i get to activate a pinch berry again if i recycled it and survived the last attack? like i was hiding behind substitute or opponent attack missed/switched out. Or maybe when his attack couldnt kill me due to resistances.

Need help on this question as it would affect what i would breed for next project. (Semi urgent)

Will i get to activate a pinch berry again if i recycled it and survived the last attack? like i was hiding behind substitute or opponent attack missed/switched out. Or maybe when his attack couldnt kill me due to resistances.

Yes. Berries like that activate at a certain percentage, and if the requirements are met, they activate.
PROOF: Go into the Battle Factory, and play until you see or use the Porygon-Z with Recycle and a Sitrus Berry. It continuously uses it over and over again as a means of healing. I once did it in the same turn (Knocked down to 15%, activate Sitrus, raise to 45%, use Recycle, activate Sitrus again, raise to 75%).

I'm thinking about a Heatran moveset for use on this team that I don't want to bump because I'm pretty sure that's thread necromancy. In place of the Heatran that's already there of course. Same nature and EVs as the one listed, but the moveset I'm thinking of replaces Fire Blast with Lava Plume (and MAYBE brings back Hidden Power Psychic over Explosion). What do you think?

Always Blast over Thrower for me. And... Hidden Power PSYCHIC? See, Fire+Dragon covers everyone except for Heatran for nuetral, which Ground covers. What exactly would Hidden Power Psychic do for you that the other three moves wouldn't? It hits Gengar and Machamp for SE, but NOTHING else (that wouldn't get SE'd by Fire Blast, or Earth Power). And even so, a neutral STAB Fire Blast is 180, while Hidden Power SE caps at 140. And if you go with Flamethrower, with STAB its 143 Power nuetral. Quite literally, no Psychic Type attack will do ANYTHING for this set.

Keep Explosion.

Last edited:
Always Blast over Thrower for me. And... Hidden Power PSYCHIC? See, Fire+Dragon covers everyone except for Heatran for nuetral, which Ground covers. What exactly would Hidden Power Psychic do for you that the other three moves wouldn't? It hits Gengar and Machamp for SE, but NOTHING else (that wouldn't get SE'd by Fire Blast, or Earth Power). And even so, a neutral STAB Fire Blast is 180, while Hidden Power SE caps at 140. And if you go with Flamethrower, with STAB its 143 Power nuetral. Quite literally, no Psychic Type attack will do ANYTHING for this set.

Keep Explosion.

Fine, fine, I get it, I'll keep the damn move. I just personally dislike Explosion. But my main question was whether or not I should replace Fire Blast with Lava Plume, not Flamethrower. Yes, yes, it runs into power problems, but the burn rate, I imagine, would be QUITE useful, especially on things like Thick Fat Hariyama (which is what I was thinking of using HP Psychic more as a counter for than Machamp or Gengar).

Fine, fine, I get it, I'll keep the damn move. I just personally dislike Explosion. But my main question was whether or not I should replace Fire Blast with Lava Plume, not Flamethrower. Yes, yes, it runs into power problems, but the burn rate, I imagine, would be QUITE useful, especially on things like Thick Fat Hariyama (which is what I was thinking of using HP Psychic more as a counter for than Machamp or Gengar).

Oops, I misread. Sorry about that. It really depends on how much you plan on having it out. Lava Plume may not be good if you plan on switching in and out, unless you REALLY utilize that Spin Support. Otherwise, Lava Plume is a great move, even after taking the tiny Stealth Rock damage the first time (if you do).

I know Hariyama is used in OU, but mainly as a Tyranitar counter I thought. Besides, Celebi and Gyarados should be able to handle Hariyama just fine. I don't think Hidden Power Psychic would do anything else though than provide a better offense on one Poke (who isn't seen all too much really), where as Explosion is an awesome move to leave out on, especially if used with the right prediction.

Oops, I misread. Sorry about that. It really depends on how much you plan on having it out. Lava Plume may not be good if you plan on switching in and out, unless you REALLY utilize that Spin Support. Otherwise, Lava Plume is a great move, even after taking the tiny Stealth Rock damage the first time (if you do).

I know Hariyama is used in OU, but mainly as a Tyranitar counter I thought. Besides, Celebi and Gyarados should be able to handle Hariyama just fine. I don't think Hidden Power Psychic would do anything else though than provide a better offense on one Poke (who isn't seen all too much really), where as Explosion is an awesome move to leave out on, especially if used with the right prediction.

Thank you. I guess I could test out Lava Plume a bit and see what happens, and if I don't like it, just replace it with Fire Blast?

See, my main problem with Explosion is that it just feels wasteful. I get using it on a pokemon with really frail defenses, but Heatran's more than capable of taking a hit if it needs to. Even the logic of "if I'm going out anyway, it might as well be with a bang" rings a little off to me because this is a Scarf set. If I were using a Life Orb (or any item, really, that let me switch moves), then sure, I could deal with that. But the fact that I would need to switch it out, then somehow get it back in only to blow up in something's face just seems...well...predictable to my opponent, for one thing, and difficult to pull off in the first place, for another.

Thank you. I guess I could test out Lava Plume a bit and see what happens, and if I don't like it, just replace it with Fire Blast?

See, my main problem with Explosion is that it just feels wasteful. I get using it on a pokemon with really frail defenses, but Heatran's more than capable of taking a hit if it needs to. Even the logic of "if I'm going out anyway, it might as well be with a bang" rings a little off to me because this is a Scarf set. If I were using a Life Orb (or any item, really, that let me switch moves), then sure, I could deal with that. But the fact that I would need to switch it out, then somehow get it back in only to blow up in something's face just seems...well...predictable to my opponent, for one thing, and difficult to pull off in the first place, for another.

True. I always looked at it as a late game method myself though. Once you know your opponents team by scouting it out, you can bring in Heatran to do what it does. However, if you KNOW they're switching into a certain counter, you could blow up. It really varies for each match.

You are right however, especially on a Scarf Set. I did kind of overlook that. @___@ You actually might get some success out of HP Psychic, assuming you run into Hariyama, but maybe you should try Dark Pulse. It seems to hit a good bit for SE, and Flinch Hax are always lulzy. Notably, it gets a good SE hit on Starmie, and the Rotom forms.

True. I always looked at it as a late game method myself though. Once you know your opponents team by scouting it out, you can bring in Heatran to do what it does. However, if you KNOW they're switching into a certain counter, you could blow up. It really varies for each match.

You are right however, especially on a Scarf Set. I did kind of overlook that. @___@ You actually might get some success out of HP Psychic, assuming you run into Hariyama, but maybe you should try Dark Pulse. It seems to hit a good bit for SE, and Flinch Hax are always lulzy. Notably, it gets a good SE hit on Starmie, and the Rotom forms.

Actually, Explosion is useful on Heatran for catching Blissey off guard. If you're out of options (and you're unable to touch Blissey while you still have Heatran on your team), you can just bring Heatran in and Explode on it. Same goes for any Water Pokemon (but not Rotom, who's severely damaged by Fire Blast anyway).

Choice Scarf Heatran typically needs the power of Fire Blast because it functions as a revenge killer and receives no offensive boost from its item. The lack of power from Lava Plume would be noticeable and you would probably lose many OHKOs. Explosion, however, works well on a Choice Scarf Heatran because it gives Heatran the ability to quickly OHKO pokemon that it could not otherwise handle.

Choice Scarf Heatran typically needs the power of Fire Blast because it functions as a revenge killer and receives no offensive boost from its item. The lack of power from Lava Plume would be noticeable and you would probably lose many OHKOs. Explosion, however, works well on a Choice Scarf Heatran because it gives Heatran the ability to quickly OHKO pokemon that it could not otherwise handle.

Fire blast misses though, you don't want to rely on it and have it miss.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom