• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

This is, no doubt, a very very stupid question. However, bear in mind that to date I've never engaged in a battle with a real person, just the various CPUs.

So, bearing that in mind: What advantages does Substitute provide? Obviously it has them, or people wouldn't bother with it, but I can't see the point of the move, not from reading its description nor from watching other people's battles.

Sorry for the really dumb question.

substitute stops you from getting hit with status moves. It allows frail pokemon to set up a substitute, then attack while surviving another hit. A pokemon like Breloom or Walrein, who can regain 12% health a turn can set up a substitute, use protect ,and regain all the damage they took, while fainting other pokemon via toxic or something. This also works through leech seed. It als is baton passable, so you can allow the pokemon which comes in to be protected. Lastly, it lets yu scout with a pokemon's switch in, so you can make sure you will infact hit the right target with the odd move you are carrying to kill a counter instead of doing little damage to another pokemon.(If that didn't make sense see the subtini explanation here)

Anyone know of a good Water counter for a Sandstorm team, it's been pretty successful (for a n00b like me), but nearly my whole team (beside Swampert) can be taken out by a good Water sweeper.

i have a timid jirachi, will come of any use?
what can a timid jirachi be used for in any way?

i have a timid jirachi, will come of any use?
what can a timid jirachi be used for in any way?

~ Calm Mind
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Fire
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Superchari set from Smogon. It's underestimated, since the opponent will usually switch to a flinchhax Jirachi counter, then uou get a free CM, and ca sweep.

Great idea! thanks! :D ill get started on him...
does he learn CM naturally?

so i guess i need someone with Calm mind, but this isnt the place, and this there something i could switch the Hidden powers for?

so i guess i need someone with Calm mind, but this isnt the place, and this there something i could switch the Hidden powers for?

If you wanted you could get rid of Calm Mind and put in Charge Beam. That would raise Special attack every time. Just use it twice and you're all set. You could then replace CM with something else. Or you could try swapping those two out for signal beam. Honestly those are the best options since you hit Heatran, but Jirachi is so ridiculously versatile you have many choices. Cosmic Power may work, but you'd have to completely alter the set then switch around the EVs, and it's not good for timid so scratch that normally. Lastly, depending on the team, Gravity is a nice idea.

HP fire is used to hit Scizor, Forretress, Celebi, and Shaymin. HP ground hits magnezone and Heatran. HP ground is more useful imo since heatran is usually a sure fire counter otherwise and is the most commonly used pokemon in the game. If you cant choose your HP then Water pulse or grass knot have merit (energy ball if you already used your grass knot tm from gardenia. Water pulse hits heatran and has a 40% chance to confuse adding in serene grace, which is very annoying. Grass knot or energyball deal with tyranitar and swampert.

Anyone know of a good Water counter for a Sandstorm team, it's been pretty successful (for a n00b like me), but nearly my whole team (beside Swampert) can be taken out by a good Water sweeper.

If you're using a defensively-oriented sandstorm team, Subseed Shaymin could work well. With Leech Seed and sandstorm damage, you can easily out-stall many opposing walls that your team couldn't otherwise handle.

what about Clefable with Magic Guard (takes no sandstorm damage)

also Empoleon resists water attacks with ease plus it can learn Grass Knot

i found jirachi's IVs and HP, just not the damage, he has two 31's, one 31 in speed, which is what i focused more on. his hidden power is Dark, i dont know its damage though (50-70) but before i teach it to him i need to know the damage.

i found jirachi's IVs and HP, just not the damage, he has two 31's, one 31 in speed, which is what i focused more on. his hidden power is Dark, i dont know its damage though (50-70) but before i teach it to him i need to know the damage.
try this dude: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php

Thanks for the tips, thoughts on a SubSeeding Cacturne?
excellent choice! (i knew there was another ability useful in sandstorm but i couldn't remember it...)

can anybody help with an ursaring an sneasle? both adament.
i need to know what they do best,like items and moves,

can anybody help with an ursaring an sneasle? both adament.
i need to know what they do best,like items and moves,

Here are some example sets:

Quick Feet Ursaring (Toxic Orb)
-Protect
-Facade
-Close Combat*
-Crunch*
EV's: Atk252 Spe252/HP252

Assuming you want to evolve sneasel into weavile...

Weavile (Focus Sash)
-Fake Out*
-Counter*
-Ice Shard
-Night Slash
EV's: Atk252 Spe252/HP252

However, both of them require Egg moves, so if you can't do that, replace the asterisk moves with other moves.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom