• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

i think it does, if i remember correctly, if the pokemon gains exp, it gains EVs, unless its been EV'd.

If an EV'd pokemon is in front of a Non EVd Pokemon, and the Non EV'd Pokemon is holding an exp share and it kills a goldeen, the Non EV'd Pokemon gets 1 speed EV (I think)

Speed you generally want a 31 since it can be a matter of outspeeding or not, which is a big deal. Unless its a defensive pokemon, where speed is irrelevent. the others I would say 25+ for most ivs which are very important (for attackers, their attack stat, for defensive pokemon its HP/defense/special defense), and for attackers I would say defensive above 20 are good enough if they are really frail (weavile, infernape), or 22+ if its a bulky attacker (metagross, scizor, Jirachi)

Thank you for the quick answer. I also have another question I am curious about. When evolving a Scyther into a Scizor when should it be done? I am wondering if Scyther's much better speed stat has anything to do with when you want to evolve.

Thank you for the quick answer. I also have another question I am curious about. When evolving a Scyther into a Scizor when should it be done? I am wondering if Scyther's much better speed stat has anything to do with when you want to evolve.

After Level 9(when Scyther and Scizor learn Pursuit). Otherwise it doesn't matter when because most moves are either Tutor or TMs.

As for the speed, it doesn't matter much. Scyther is much faster but more frail, and really poor coverage. Scizors speed stat should only be high if it's the Swords Dance set or the Choice Scarf set.

A couple things:

1.)Can Empoleon be a good user of Hone Claws?

Empoleon-Leftovers (Torrent/Competitiveness) Not sure which to use.
Brave (Atk+, Spd-)
4 HP/160 Atk/200 SpAtk/80 Def/64 SpDef
Aqua Jet
Hone Claws
Blizzard
Earthquake/Brick Break/Rock Tomb

Aqua Jet for priority & STAB, also great w/ Hone Claws. Blizzard gets 93% accuracy after 1 use of Hone Claws & takes care of Dragon, Ground, & Grass threats. Earthquake is a given, but I also thought Brick Break would be useful for those floating Steels that Earthquake hates to miss. Rock Tomb might seem strange, but I like the Speed drop it gives to opponents. This however, leaves me susceptible to those same Steels. Anything I can do to improve Empoleon's chances of using this move?

2.)What should go in this Sceptile's final moveslot?

Sceptile-Life Orb (Overgrow)
Hasty (Spd+,Def-)
132 Atk/200 SpAtk/176 Spd
Giga Drain
Earthquake
Hidden Power (Fire)
X-Scissor/Dragon Pulse

Should I go w/ Dragon Pulse or X-Scissor on this Sceptile? X-Scissor helps against Pokemon like Zoroark, Reuniclus, & Espeon, but Dragon Pulse is great for coverage & helpful against Dragons (who really screw Sceptile over otherwise).

A couple things:

1.)Can Empoleon be a good user of Hone Claws?

Empoleon-Leftovers (Torrent/Competitiveness) Not sure which to use.
Brave (Atk+, Spd-)
4 HP/160 Atk/200 SpAtk/80 Def/64 SpDef
Aqua Jet
Hone Claws
Blizzard
Earthquake/Brick Break/Rock Tomb

Aqua Jet for priority & STAB, also great w/ Hone Claws. Blizzard gets 93% accuracy after 1 use of Hone Claws & takes care of Dragon, Ground, & Grass threats. Earthquake is a given, but I also thought Brick Break would be useful for those floating Steels that Earthquake hates to miss. Rock Tomb might seem strange, but I like the Speed drop it gives to opponents. This however, leaves me susceptible to those same Steels. Anything I can do to improve Empoleon's chances of using this move?

2.)What should go in this Sceptile's final moveslot?

Sceptile-Life Orb (Overgrow)
Hasty (Spd+,Def-)
132 Atk/200 SpAtk/176 Spd
Giga Drain
Earthquake
Hidden Power (Fire)
X-Scissor/Dragon Pulse

Should I go w/ Dragon Pulse or X-Scissor on this Sceptile? X-Scissor helps against Pokemon like Zoroark, Reuniclus, & Espeon, but Dragon Pulse is great for coverage & helpful against Dragons (who really screw Sceptile over otherwise).

Empoleon doesn't seem like a good user of Hone Claws due to its low speed and lack of a physical movepool to take advantage of the accuracy boost. If you want a physical Empoleon, use the standard Gen. IV Swords Dance set.

Your Sceptile has an inefficient EV spread because you are 100 EVs shy of the 508 mark. I'd suggest giving it an EV spread of 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe and a moveset of Leaf Storm / Earthquake /Hidden Power (Fire) / Dragon Pulse. Leaf Storm should be your primary attack because it can deal a massive amount of damage to most things that don't resist it and it allows you to potentially abuse Overgrow later in the match. Dragon Pulse hits Latias, Latios, Salamence, and Garchomp super-effectively and can revenge weakened Gengar. The final two moves provide coverage against opposing grass and steel types.

You also may want to go with a Naive nature over Hasty. I haven't run any damage calculations, but Naive may very well leave you better protected from physical priority moves.

Edit: Fixed the EVs

Last edited:
Empoleon doesn't seem like a good user of Hone Claws due to its low speed and lack of a physical movepool to take advantage of the accuracy boost. If you want a physical Empoleon, use the standard Gen. IV Swords Dance set.

Your Sceptile has an inefficient EV spread because you are 100 EVs shy of the 508 mark. I'd suggest giving it an EV spread of 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe and a moveset of Leaf Storm / Earthquake /Hidden Power (Fire) / Dragon Pulse. Leaf Storm should be your primary attack because it can deal a massive amount of damage to most things that don't resist it and it allows you to potentially abuse Overgrow later in the match. Dragon Pulse hits Latias, Latios, Salamence, and Garchomp super-effectively and can revenge weakened Gengar. The final two moves provide coverage against opposing grass and steel types.

You also may want to go with a Naive nature over Hasty. I haven't run any damage calculations, but Naive may very well leave you better protected from physical priority moves.

Ah! I didn't notice the EVs were so off. And thanks for the comments, helped out alot.

In pokemon black and white,
What is the original name of the male character you play as?
Like in hgss female character when you play as original name is Lyra.

That come out to 456 EVs, so maybe 80 in attack?

Yeah, I meant 80 in attack. I'm not sure where 28 came from.

Anyway, 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe is probably the best spread for mixed Sceptile in Gen. V OU. The extra special attack increases Leaf Storm's power and allows Sceptile to deal more damage to dragons with Dragon Pulse.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom