• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Why would you use Farfetch'd over things like Zapdos, Togekiss, Staraptor, Fearow, Dodrio, etc?

My guess as a gimmick? I mean, there's not much more satisfying than watching your opponent fall to a little duck with a stick.
If I were you, I'd run Air Cutter, simply because you might get a Critical Hit.

Why would you use Farfetch'd over things like Zapdos, Togekiss, Staraptor, Fearow, Dodrio, etc?
Because it's a shiny. :/

That, and I don't plan on using it in the Battle Frontier or anything, I just want to actually make it useful.

Last edited:
Bullet Punch, if anything. Steel and Fighting are pretty redundant together, so most people just use a Fighting STAB and coverage moves without Steel; Bullet Punch is even outshined by ExtremeSpeed!

I can level him up for Extreme Speed tonight then. What's a good coverage set? Right now I have Close Combat, Poison Jab (will be replaced by Extreme Speed) Ice Punch and Bulk Up.

Dont use close combat with bulk up since it negates the defense boost. SD is better then. Also, I would say use crunch over ice punch because it hits ghosts which are immune to your other two moves. However Ice Punch is an Option to suprise gliscor.

Dont use close combat with bulk up since it negates the defense boost. SD is better then. Also, I would say use crunch over ice punch because it hits ghosts which are immune to your other two moves. However Ice Punch is an Option to suprise gliscor.

Ice Punch is good for ground, grass, flying and dragon types. Particularly ground, a weakness as a steel type, and dragon, which can always be a real pain.

SD over bulk up, sure thing.

I'd have to re-breed for crunch. Any possibility payback could work? I realise this may sound lazy and all, but I've already had to work a week on him, and I don't battle online to often.

Well, Lucario wants to be fast, so Payback won't work. The best "lazy" solution would be Shadow Claw.

What would be a good EV spread for a mixed sweeper Farfetch'd with a Modest nature?

....no, I'm not joking.

oh man i love gimmicky sets they're my favourite!

(what Hidden Power type/power does it have? that may come in handy)

decent SpA moves for farfetch'd:

Swift (for STAB also hits both opponents)
Air Cutter (for STAB crit hax & hits both opponents)
Heat Wave (hits both opponents)
Twister (hits both opponents)

those 4 are great for double battles (edit: okay Twister sucks if you have HP ground or fighting use that - if not then u-turn could work instead)

you could stick a Choice item on it or even a Life Orb... i won't lie it will struggle in battle but hey i'm feeling the love for shinies dude i always use my "random encounter" ones over the competitive ones i bred - they just feel... special [needs]!

*BIG EDIT*

oh right maybe i should've read that you wanted EV spreads not moves (doh!)

well it ain't gonna take much punishment so a simple 252SpA/252Spe/4... would be best with a modest nature using mainly special moves - look at the HP IV to see if you will benefit from adding 4HP EV's with the "switch into stealth rock" calculations if not then stick the last 4 EV's into Atk in case you bang a physical move in (like u-turn)

tl;dr = max Spe / max SpA / don't waste EV's on Def or SpD

Last edited:
Drifblim moveset?

I have a nice, Timid Drifloon, but I don't know a good and effective Drifblim set. The ability of the Drifloon is Unburden.

Re: Drifblim moveset?

You'll want to use a moveset that takes full advantage of Unburden. I recommend using this moveset:

Drifblim @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

A set such as this is referenced in Smogon's Drifblim analysis, found here.

Came up with a weird set for a Crobat lead, I'd like somethoughts on it. Wanna see if this is a viable option, or needs some betterment. Keep in mind I usually will toy around with this suff on Shoddy Battle if I can find some people, not and don't always make a companion for it in my actual PLaatinum cart.

Crobat (No Item)
Jolly Nature
EV's: 4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spd
~Fly: Standard move, guarenteed hit with STAB bonus assuming the 90 acc doesn't becom too tiresome. One downside is that slower Ice Beams/Punches usually 2HKO, sometimes 1HKO me.
~Cross Poison: STAB bonus, high crit ratio, chance for poison.
~U-turn: Chip away at something that scares me out, super-effective on psychic types that try to check me. Generally lets me score some hit on anything I need to switch away from.
~Theif: This is why I have no item. Assuming I'm faster or can take at least 2 hits, I can break item-dependant leads that don't force a switch. Not that powerful, but also lets me collect a super effective on ghost types.

Major question: Is Crobat fast enough with this nature and EV's to outpace most starters? If not, Theif needs to be dropped for something else, and throw on a Choice Scarf, right?

Came up with a weird set for a Crobat lead, I'd like somethoughts on it. Wanna see if this is a viable option, or needs some betterment. Keep in mind I usually will toy around with this suff on Shoddy Battle if I can find some people, not and don't always make a companion for it in my actual PLaatinum cart.

Crobat (No Item)
Jolly Nature
~Fly: Standard move, guarenteed hit with STAB bonus assuming the 90 acc doesn't becom too tiresome. One downside is that slower Ice Beams/Punches usually 2HKO, sometimes 1HKO me.
~Cross Poison: STAB bonus, high crit ratio, chance for poison.
~U-turn: Chip away at something that scares me out, super-effective on psychic types that try to check me. Generally lets me score some hit on anything I need to switch away from.
~Theif: This is why I have no item. Assuming I'm faster or can take at least 2 hits, I can break item-dependant leads that don't force a switch. Not that powerful, but also lets me collect a super effective on ghost types.

Major question: Is Crobat fast enough with this nature and EV's to outpace most starters? If not, Theif needs to be dropped for something else, and throw on a Choice Scarf, right?

brave bird over fly. if you use fly they will just switch to a steel type.

the only lead that will has a chance of speed tying you is aerodactyl. you will be faster than the rest. but you get walled by steel types, on the switch. rock and ground are also trouble. and so will zapdos.

brave bird over fly. if you use fly they will just switch to a steel type.

the only lead that will has a chance of speed tying you is aerodactyl. you will be faster than the rest. but you get walled by steel types, on the switch. rock and ground are also trouble. and so will zapdos.

Good point, I oughtta give Brave Bird a go. Power is worth the hp sacrifice. If I'm faster, why not U-Turn and type match?

Crobat Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
~Brave Bird
~Taunt, you want it to be doing something
~Super Fang, you really want something to do, so this could be Rain Dance or Sunny Day (While using the respective rock) too,

It's fast enough.

I'm thinking of making a FEAR Togekiss, seeing that its priority move, Extremespeed, has +2 speed priority now. What other moves than Endeavor and Extremespeed should I add?

Can someone explain to me how exactly Effort Values work?

Basically, effort values are special stat modifications that Pokémon can earn by battling other Pokémon. Each Pokémon has a specific number of effort value points it gives out for each stat (known on Bulbapedia as its EV yield). If a Pokémon participates in a battle against a wild Pokémon, and wins, the winning Pokémon get the full EV yield of the wild Pokémon added to their score.

For every 4 EVs a Pokémon gets in a stat, its stat value at level 100 will be 1 point higher. The maximum number of EVs a Pokémon can have in one stat is 255, and can overall have 510 EVs.

Also, vitamins and wings increase the amount of EVs by specific amounts. Vitamins raise a stat by 10 EVs, but cannot raise the EVs of a stat past 100. Wings raise the EVs of a stat by one, but can be used until the EV hits maximum.

Also, there are a few berries that will actually lower the EVs a Pokémon has, which can be helpful for getting rid of EVs in stats you don't want of need them for. Each berry decreases the EV total of one stat by ten, or down to 100 if the EV yield is over 100. The effort values gained in a stat cannot go past zero.

I hope this helped. If you want to know anything else, check through the pages of Bulbapedia dealing with stats and effort values.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom