• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Ever since I saw it, I've wanted to use a Chandelure. Pretty, ghost-type, and with that tasty 145 base sp. attack... it just begs to be baton passed some speed. Here's roughly the setup I have planned:

Ninjask @ +Sp. Atk Pinch Berry (EV'd/Natured for Speed/HP)
Ability: Speed Boost
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Hone Claws
-Something damaging

Chandelure @ ???
Ability: Flash Fire
-Fire Blast
-3 other damaging moves with coverage (depends on team)

So, here's my question. I really want to use my Focus Sash on my lead, so do you think a Chandelure EVd/Natured for defense can safely expect to take one hit when getting switched in, or is that crazy talk? Will the Focus Sash even help this gen, what with all the new free weather conditions and rocky helmets? Will the Ninjask's inability to actually use a +sp. attack move throw people off enough to give me the element of surprise? Or should I give up on the whole thing and my pretty pretty Chandelure?

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll just use him, since I already have a long history with the guy (hatched him myself, and journeyed all through soulsilver with it).

As for the chandelure focus stash thing, I'd say it's crazy talk IF the foe outruns the chandelure, cause it'll be able to kill it. Here's the thing, Focus Stash helps kicks in when the pokemon is at full HP, regardless of defense or special defense. So, when it has even one hp below max, focus stash won't work. Chandelures are primarily weak defensively, so there really is no point in that. Chandelure is an amazing sweeper, so I'd recommend the traditional sweeper ev spread. Why use hone claws though? To increase the accuracy for fire blast?

That's just me though.

Last edited:
Ever since I saw it, I've wanted to use a Chandelure. Pretty, ghost-type, and with that tasty 145 base sp. attack... it just begs to be baton passed some speed. Here's roughly the setup I have planned:

Ninjask @ +Sp. Atk Pinch Berry (EV'd/Natured for Speed/HP)
Ability: Speed Boost
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Hone Claws
-Something damaging

Chandelure @ ???
Ability: Flash Fire
-Fire Blast
-3 other damaging moves with coverage (depends on team)

So, here's my question. I really want to use my Focus Sash on my lead, so do you think a Chandelure EVd/Natured for defense can safely expect to take one hit when getting switched in, or is that crazy talk? Will the Focus Sash even help this gen, what with all the new free weather conditions and rocky helmets? Will the Ninjask's inability to actually use a +sp. attack move throw people off enough to give me the element of surprise? Or should I give up on the whole thing and my pretty pretty Chandelure?

I honestly don't see what Hone Claws is doing. It raises attack and accuracy IIRC, so it doesn't help Chandelure.
I think you would be better set with a full blown BP team. A very effective strategy is to mean look with some poke on a physical attacker, BP to Vaporeon who Acid Armors up, BP to Smeargle who Spores, Agilities, Nasty Plot, and BP to Chandelure. THere. You have a max defense, max speed, and insane Special Attack pokemon who is about to rip the opponent apart. Have a nice day.
Not that I use BP successfully, but I know the theory. Smogon's not working for me, or I'd give you a link, but google Smogon baton pass teams some time and take a look at the DP article, a lot has changed but it'll give you an idea of how to run a full BP team.
Oh, and don't EV train Chandelure in Defense...if you want it to sweep. speed and special attack are the way to go.

Depends on what you'll do with it. I'd go with Jolly and give it a scarf or it becomes an inferior Rayquaza.

Why does it need a Jolly nature? With Adamant, it can take better advantage of its base 150 attack and it can still outspeed positive base 130s like Mewtwo.

Hey everybody. I was told that questions about learning a new move would go here, so:

My lv 25 Pansear wants to learn Amnesia. I figure this would be a good move,, as pansear doesn't have a super high special defense stat. It already knows Flame Burst, Incinerate, Bite, and Cut. Obviously, I can't delete Cut right now, because it's an HM. I was thinking of deleting Incinerate (it's the weakest move), but it's added effect would come in handy when I'm battling gym leaders/E4 members (they all like to make their Pokemon hold berries). Should I just delete Incinerate?
Thanks

Hey everybody. I was told that questions about learning a new move would go here, so:

My lv 25 Pansear wants to learn Amnesia. I figure this would be a good move,, as pansear doesn't have a super high special defense stat. It already knows Flame Burst, Incinerate, Bite, and Cut. Obviously, I can't delete Cut right now, because it's an HM. I was thinking of deleting Incinerate (it's the weakest move), but it's added effect would come in handy when I'm battling gym leaders/E4 members (they all like to make their Pokemon hold berries). Should I just delete Incinerate?
Thanks

Incinerate sucks, but Amnesia is kind of pointless on a sweeping type Pokemon like Pansear. It doesn't really matter which one you keep for now, because you'll want to replace it soon enough anyway.

Incinerate sucks, but Amnesia is kind of pointless on a sweeping type Pokemon like Pansear. It doesn't really matter which one you keep for now, because you'll want to replace it soon enough anyway.

True, true, true... As soon as I get to a move deleter, I'm deleting Cut. And also, when I'm battling the E4, wouldn't Incinerate be very helpful against berry-holding Pokemon? Or does it not matter?

True, true, true... As soon as I get to a move deleter, I'm deleting Cut. And also, when I'm battling the E4, wouldn't Incinerate be very helpful against berry-holding Pokemon? Or does it not matter?

I think you should just go for moves that have more base power, personally. I'm pretty sure the Monkeys learn their fair share of decent attacking moves.

Need help for a strategy

Hey everyone I need help for a battle strategy for GEN IV (for now) that includes a shuckle. Can anyone please help me?

Re: Need help for a strategy

I'd check Smogon. They typically have the best sets for Pokemon. Otherwise you could maybe make a Toxic stalling set.

Already checked there. But didn't tell me a good team.

From smogon's Shuckle Page:
Shuckle requires support against Steel- and Poison-types due to their immunity to Toxic. Dugtrio can trap and kill most Poison- and Steel-types, and is immune to sandstorm. Shuckle also appreciates Toxic Spikes support so that it can run Protect in Toxic's place. Cacturne can be used to set up Spikes if you're dead-set on none of your Pokemon taking sandstorm damage, but Qwilfish has better type synergy with his resistance to Fighting-, Steel-, and Water-type moves. Wish support also helps Shuckle out due to Rest's unreliability; Clefable is probably the best choice to supply this since it is immune to sandstorm through Magic Guard. Cleric support from Leafeon and Clefable is also very helpful to wake Shuckle up after he uses Rest.

Generally when making a team I use a couple tools. Mariland's team builder, Smogon's analyses are the first two. Make a team which works well together in terms of strategy, which can be seen via a web of analyses in the team option section. After 4-5 pokemon, use the team builder and find a couple pokemon which help the team and cover the weaknesses, which are easily found by using psypoke's attack type analysis. Throw those in, test, and add/subtract accordingly.

Tourney coming up need help!

I'm going to a tourney on the 30th. Rules are double battle, no duplicate items, 6 pokemon per team, and only unova pokedex pokemon (besides reshiram, zekrom, kyurem and on). I'm looking for help, suggestions from people because everything I have are for single battles. Thanks!

Re: Tourney coming up need help!

These are really similar to the VGC rules:

* Only Pokemon from Isshu can be used (excluding Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect).
* Each match is a double battle, though the amount of Pokemon each player will use in a match is not mentioned. It might be bring six Pokemon and use four in each match like in the past.
* Pokemon should be Level 50. Pokemon higher than that will be lowered to 50, but Pokemon Level 49 and below will remain the same level.
* You can't use duplicate Pokemon or Items.
* You can't change your Pokemon, Items, etc. during the tournament.

Remember there is no freeze or sleep clause, but there is Self KO clause. This is a common played metagame and both Smogon and Skarmbliss are making analysis for all pokemon usable. I would look at these for advice.

What is the best moveset for my team? (READ DESCRIPTION)

Ok I need to know what are the best moves for my pokemon. I have Charizard with Fly,Inferno,Heat Wave, and Flare Blitz, he is best in Sp.Atk and Speed. I have Venusaur with Petal Dance,Worry Seed,Synthesis, and Solar Beam, he is best in Sp.Atk and Sp.Def. I have Blastoise with Skull Bash,Iron Defense,Rain Dance and Hydro Pump. He is best in Defense and Speed. I have Bisharp with Night Slash, Iron Head,Swords Dance and Gullotine. He is best in Attack and Defense. I have Zangoose with Detect,False Swipe,X-Scissor and Close Combat. He is best in Attack and Defense. And Last, I have Seviper with Poison Jab,Venoshock,Wring Out and Coil. Tell me what you think I should change in there movesets and I just might do it! Thanks!

What's the best Generation V psychic type?

Based solely on stats and not design, what is the best fifth generation psychic type to use for competetive battling?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom