• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Is Stealth Rock as big in this Gen as it was last Gen? "Cause if it is, then I have reason to worry about bringing Flareon in.

Although the fifth generation's addition of Priority Taunt and Magic Bounce helps prevent it, Stealth Rock is still the best move in the game and is common amongst most teams.

To add onto what Hux says, I find it more common among SandStorm and Stall teams.

Need advice

I am thinking of putting a garchomp in my team..
Which set,item,etc should i use?
My current team is
Forretress = Entry hazard setupper + spinner
azumarill = revenge killer
volcarona = special sweeper

I also need a spin blocker..
Any suggestions regarding that?

Although the fifth generation's addition of Priority Taunt and Magic Bounce helps prevent it, Stealth Rock is still the best move in the game and is common amongst most teams.

To add onto what Hux says, I find it more common among SandStorm and Stall teams.

Son. Of. A. Bitch. *sniff* WHY ME?! :bheart: :bawl:

Damnit. Now I need a Rapid Spinner and Taunter. Which is something I don't usually do. :sweat:

Re: Need advice

Assuming you plan to make some kind of sandstorm team, I'd suggest using either a Substitute + Swords Dance Garchomp or a Choice Scarf Garchomp. A Substitute + Swords Dance Garchomp works well as a sweeper, whereas a Choice Scarf Garchomp would give you the ability to better handle threats such as Choice Specs Latios and Nasty Plot Thundurus. Your choice between these two sets should depend on whatever other Pokemon you choose to complete your team. If you decide to use the Swords Dance set, you'll need paralysis support and a way to deal with the aforementioned threats. Here are both Garchomp sets, as well as some other options to consider:

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Sandstorm support, Latios/Thundurus/Reuniclus check:

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock / Pursuit

Paralysis support:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

You may want to reconsider whether or not you want to use a spin blocker on this team. Blocking Rapid Spin is very difficult in this metagame and putting one of the few viable ghost-types on your team could be risky and leave you vulnerable to certain threats. If you still insist on using a spin blocker, however, consider using Jellicent. Here's a possible set:

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Simple Questions thread next time, I'll move it this time, but be more careful next time.

Assuming you plan to make some kind of sandstorm team, I'd suggest using either a Substitute + Swords Dance Garchomp or a Choice Scarf Garchomp. A Substitute + Swords Dance Garchomp works well as a sweeper, whereas a Choice Scarf Garchomp would give you the ability to better handle threats such as Choice Specs Latios and Nasty Plot Thundurus. Your choice between these two sets should depend on whatever other Pokemon you choose to complete your team. If you decide to use the Swords Dance set, you'll need paralysis support and a way to deal with the aforementioned threats. Here are both Garchomp sets, as well as some other options to consider:

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Sandstorm support, Latios/Thundurus/Reuniclus check:

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock / Pursuit

Paralysis support:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

You may want to reconsider whether or not you want to use a spin blocker on this team. Blocking Rapid Spin is very difficult in this metagame and putting one of the few viable ghost-types on your team could be risky and leave you vulnerable to certain threats. If you still insist on using a spin blocker, however, consider using Jellicent. Here's a possible set:

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
Thank u for the advice!
Well i wasnt thinking about sandstorm..
And if i do put in ttar, then i will have to remove volcarona and reconstruct my entire team..
Yeah i think i wont put a spin blocker because of rapid spin + shadow claw excadrill..
And so foretress(kind of) also becomes useless because there is no point of keeping a dedicated entry hazarder if i cant maintain them and he is poorer compared to ferrothorn..

Thank u for the advice!
Well i wasnt thinking about sandstorm..
And if i do put in ttar, then i will have to remove volcarona and reconstruct my entire team..
Yeah i think i wont put a spin blocker because of rapid spin + shadow claw excadrill..
And so foretress(kind of) also becomes useless because there is no point of keeping a dedicated entry hazarder if i cant maintain them and he is poorer compared to ferrothorn..

You're welcome. I realize that the type of team that I suggested is a little different from what you may have had in mind, but I feel that my suggestion reflects what is probably the easiest style to use in present-day OU.

If you're looking for a Spiker or just more entry hazard support in general, try using Skarmory. It helps check most physical threats and it has arguably better defensive typing than Forretress has.

team help

OK I have recently set up my WiFi to play online battles on soul silver and I need a bit of advise for a decent team im looking for as much type coverage as possible i have torterra, typhlosion, and feraligatr right now and im getting them to level 100 and getting good moves but I'm looking for a really strong pokemon that can confuse or send the opponent to sleep and possibly learn a healing move and pack a hard punch.
So yeah any ideas welcome and please tell me if you think i should change my 3 current pokemon in the team thanks in advance.

Ninetales or Cradily?

I am trying to make a team with no starters, no legendaries and no pseudo-legendaries. So far this is what i got:

Eelektross
Flygon
Umbreon
Scyther
Milotic
Ninetales or Cradily

Sorry i am too lazy to put their move set, nature, etc. but just assume i am using them for what their stats tell you. Please don't rate my team or try to change any of the other five, just tell me if i should use ninetales or cradily and what move set i should use for the chosen pokemon.

Re: Ninetales or Cradily?

Yea i was confused as to where i should post this...
What if i used this Cradily:
Sassy Nature
Suction cups (would preferrably be storm drain but that isn't possible with curse)
Leftovers or shell bell
Ingrain
Curse
Rock Slide
I need a fourth move... I wanted mega drain but that also isn't possible with curse or storm drain.

Last edited:
Re: Ninetales or Cradily?

Yea i was confused as to where i should post this...
What if i used this Cradily:
Sassy Nature
Suction cups (would preferrably be storm drain but that isn't possible with curse)
Leftovers or shell bell
Ingrain
Curse
Rock Slide
I need a fourth move... I wanted mega drain but that also isn't possible with curse or storm drain.

Ingrain's main use is to make sure you cant get phazed out. Suction cups pretty much covers that so I would ditch it.Since you are using curse, which boosts your attacks stat, running a physical attack is an idea, but otherwise I would suggest using recover.

Ok Im working on a sandstorm team and I thought this pokemon could make an awesome physical wall/mediocre special wall

Lairon@eviolite
Ability: Rock head/sturdy
Nature: Impish/careful
EV: 252 hp/ (252 def or 252 sp def)
-hone claws
-rest
-sleep talk
-head smash/metal burst
With eviolite adding 50% to the defences and an extra 50% to spD due to sandstorm, lairon can be a massive threat to anyhting that doesn't resist it. It's a rest talker and can be an effective sweeper after a few hone claws. The nature and EVs can be switched around to focus on just one defense stat or even them out

Does this look like an effective wall for a sand team?

No, especially considering that most Fighting and Ground Type moves will kill it, and it doesn't have a very good offensive presence. Best way I can put it, I don't think you've tried it, because if you did, you would see that it would fail,

Son. Of. A. Bitch. *sniff* WHY ME?! :bheart: :bawl:

Damnit. Now I need a Rapid Spinner and Taunter. Which is something I don't usually do. :sweat:

Run something like Starmie for RS, it doubles as a powerful special attacker.

ok, after battling for months on wifi, i decide to download po..
I create a team using rain dance..
the team is thundurus, jirachi, scizor, kingdra, toxicroak, kabutops..
I play on pokemon online server..

The real problem is that whenever i search for a battle, i always get wifi ubers opponents..
I wanna fight in standard and not in ubers..
What should i do?Is any of my pokes banned or something?

Also i tried joining smogon..and finished all the procedure..
But i have not recieved that e-mail so far..its almost 4 days..Now what?

For Smogon: check your spam mail, its often in there.
If you are on the PO server, they have banned Kingdra (and they said drizzle + swift swim was crazy. So they pull out all the stops to avoid agreeing with Smogon). Stick to Smogon server if you wanna use that team.

For Smogon: check your spam mail, its often in there.
If you are on the PO server, they have banned Kingdra (and they said drizzle + swift swim was crazy. So they pull out all the stops to avoid agreeing with Smogon). Stick to Smogon server if you wanna use that team.

thank u very much coolking,it WAS in my spam mail..
And now i realise why "it" kept happening..
Thank u again..

EV Spread Advice?

To my relief and excitement I've just hatched a Modest Feebas in HeartGold and after all my work catching and breeding I decided to attempt EV training as well. I will (hopefully) be taking her through Pokemon White and proceeding to use her for competitive battle (which I have little to no experience with). This leaves me with a dilemma: my first instinct is to spread EVs across HP, Defence and Special Attack with a little left for Speed as she will need to take a few hits but I also intend for her to be my Water/Ice sweeper, at least in-game.The advice I've already been given amounted to this:

Milotic @Life Orb
- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass/Hidden Power Electric/Toxic
- Recover
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Modest
EVs: 152 HP, 80 Def, 220 SpAtk, 56 Spd

Now, I am happy with this idea, but I'd really love some more opinions on her EVs and moves (and, perhaps, places to train and Pokemon to target) as I don't want to put the hours in only to find myself with a less-than-useful Milotic.

I could not for the life of me figure out where this should go and my search for other such threads yielded very little, so I have made my own - but I will, of course, accept its removal should it be decided that it does not belong here. Apologies if this is the case.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom