• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Two Ghosts? And a Steel-Type would aid in covering that weakness. I'm guessing the Lucario is so I have a Fighting-Type, right?

Now, a new question: It's becoming more and more apparent to me that if I start competitively, I'll need Stealth Rock and a Spinner. Recently, I got an Aron with that move, but I don't think Aggron would work well due to his low Speed and Fighting/Ground weakness. Of course, both Ghosts and Hydreigon can switch into those without a problem, but still. On the Spinner end, I have a Technician Hitmontop, but it's got a -Atk nature.

So my next question is, Who's a good Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin user?

Yeah, I kinda figured the physical thing.

A good stealth rock would be Gigalith imho. Not only is it extremely defensive, but it has enough attack that it can spare some to the poor. However, there's the 25 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally put this in the Video Games section, but no response so I hope this is the appropriate thread.
Anyway, For the longest time I've had problems looking for Special-oriented Pokemon from Gen V. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I have some tips on how to train them as well?

Okay yeah, I just got a warning ^^;; So, it's my bad, really :/ I REALLY had NO idea ROMs were illegal... wow...

Two Ghosts? And a Steel-Type would aid in covering that weakness. I'm guessing the Lucario is so I have a Fighting-Type, right?

Now, a new question: It's becoming more and more apparent to me that if I start competitively, I'll need Stealth Rock and a Spinner. Recently, I got an Aron with that move, but I don't think Aggron would work well due to his low Speed and Fighting/Ground weakness. Of course, both Ghosts and Hydreigon can switch into those without a problem, but still. On the Spinner end, I have a Technician Hitmontop, but it's got a -Atk nature.

Forretress is good at setting up both, Starmie and Excadrill can both Spin quite efficiently, and many pokemon can reliably set up Rocks. I'll list a few: Chansey, Blissey, Skarmory, Tyranitar, Metagross, Infernape, Empoleon, Mamoswine, and Ferroseed.

Yeah, I kinda figured the physical thing.

Angad summed it up but i will add Tentacruel as a spinner and toxic spikes setupper.
Foretress might be the best because he teams up pretty well with (flash fire)chandelure and jellicent.

Angad summed it up but i will add Tentacruel as a spinner and toxic spikes setupper.
Foretress might be the best because he teams up pretty well with (flash fire)chandelure and jellicent.

I forgot about Tentacruel, so that's a good suggestion too.

I originally put this in the Video Games section, but no response so I hope this is the appropriate thread.
Anyway, For the longest time I've had problems looking for Special-oriented Pokemon from Gen V. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I have some tips on how to train them as well?

umm...what do you mean?

@ShinyRiolu

okay, if you mean pokes with high spatk, then hydreigon and volcarona are the best like Heathcliff Huxtable said.
Another poweful one is chandelure.

If you wanna train spatk evs, go to celestic tower(or whatever the place with litwicks and elgym is called).
Speed evs can be gained by fighting with basculins.

You can go into the (final) room containing Volcarona in the Relic's Castle, which only has Volcarona (Stationary Icon) and Claydol (Wild Encounters) which give 2 Special Defense EV's each. If you aren't able to reach there, you can surf on Route 4 / 17 / 18 / Driftveil City, which have Frillish which give 1 Special Defense EV each.

EDIT: This should lead you in the right place for EV'ing if you have more questions.

This is more for Online Rotation Wifi. I don't really want to use a weather team, but I want to counter their weather. Would using Whimsicott + Sunny Day be advisable?

This is more for Online Rotation Wifi. I don't really want to use a weather team, but I want to counter their weather. Would using Whimsicott + Sunny Day be advisable?

I've seen Anti-Weather things like that around, but your opponent might be using Sun too. You might want to put Abomasnow in place of Whimsicott as a counter to weather.

You can go into the (final) room containing Volcarona in the Relic's Castle, which only has Volcarona (Stationary Icon) and Claydol (Wild Encounters) which give 2 Special Defense EV's each. If you aren't able to reach there, you can surf on Route 4 / 17 / 18 / Driftveil City, which have Frillish which give 1 Special Defense EV each.

EDIT: This should lead you in the right place for EV'ing if you have more questions.
Thanks VERY MUCH bro! If I could give you an award, I would. :-D

I've seen Anti-Weather things like that around, but your opponent might be using Sun too. You might want to put Abomasnow in place of Whimsicott as a counter to weather.
The problem I have with Abomasnow is that it causes collateral damage, and Sunlight isn't really something I'm particularly worried about compared to other weather conditions.

Okay, I need help, and no source is giving it to me straight. I haven't kept track of EV's, I don't know how to, and I don't know if there is even a way to calculate them or not. I'm just getting into the competitive battling thing, I understand the concept of EV training, but how do I find out what my Pokemon's EV's look like after the training? My brain is very confused. Is this question simple enough or stupid?

Okay, I need help, and no source is giving it to me straight. I haven't kept track of EV's, I don't know how to, and I don't know if there is even a way to calculate them or not. I'm just getting into the competitive battling thing, I understand the concept of EV training, but how do I find out what my Pokemon's EV's look like after the training? My brain is very confused. Is this question simple enough or stupid?

Without using an Action Reply, you'd have to use the various calculators to figure out the given EVs, and even then it's going to be a PAIN. It's possible, but most likely not worth the effort to figure them out.

If you want to be completely sure, it might be easier to just retrain the pokemon with a proper EV train. Do you have EV lowering berries, or an UT version of what you want to train?

Getting the links to edit in for you, but my work computer is ridiculously slow this week due to server issues...

http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

You're going to have to work backwards, inputting the stats then guessing on the EVs to see if you are somewhat close in what you think they are. Also, without knowing the IVs, this is going to be even more random/annoying.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom