• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Jolly Arcanine (Intimidate)
-----------------------
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
ExtremeSpeed
Crunch or Wild Charge ?

Your choice between these two moves should depend on what the rest of your team needs. If your team has trouble dealing with bulky waters, Wild Charge is probably your best option. If not, Crunch can be used to allow you to reliably damage Ghosts and Victini without taking recoil damage.

I've got a little teambuilding issue in an Emerald runthrough I'm doing. I just showed up in Mossdeep city, but I've been noticing my team kind of...sucks. I also need a 6th team member, if nothing else. Here they are:

dpicon257.png
Lonely - Bulk Up / Blaze Kick / Double Kick / Quick Attack
dpicon271.png
Modest - Fake Out / Absorb / Surf / Flash
dpicon277.png
Docile - Wing Attack / Fly / Quick Attack / Endeavor
dpicon305.png
Careful - Mud Slap / Metal Claw / Strength / Iron Defense
dpicon302.png
Impish - Fake Out / Night Shade / Astonish / Faint Attack

Blaziken is always a beast, if a bit slow. I can go get a Water Stone, so I will evolve Lombre soon. I suspect that will make him suck a lot less. I will also teach him either Bullet Seed or Giga Drain. Swellow is OK...I wouldn't be opposed to getting a different flying type, but Endeavor can be life saving with his great speed. Lairon is pretty good, I will probably teach him Rock Tomb sometime, and once he evolves to Aggron he'll be all set. Sableye sucks. I'm thinking Blaziken, Ludicolo, and Aggron is a good start. If I can't think of a different Flying type, Swellow is OK. I'm thinking about Whiscash also so that I have an Electric immunity.

Not really wanting to mini-mod again, but there is a thread for in-game teams.

Instead of doubling up on Water-types by getting a Whiscash, why not find a Trapinch? Having a Dragon-type on your team is good in pretty much every game, after all. I'd also recommend teaching Giga Drain to Lombre instead of Bullet Seed, too. It also looks like you could use something to deal with Flying-types and Water-types in case Lombre faints, so why not get a Manectric? I learned from my playthrough of Sapphire that Manectric are a lot better than I thought.

I know, but I am not sure where that in game RMT thread went. They have done a lot of re-organizing of the Video games and battle strategy sub-forums in the last month or two. I don't visit all that often so I still haven't found some of the threads I knew were there.

Thanks for the comments. Flygon + Manectric sounds pretty good to me.

^Yeah, when I played through I found Manectric to be a pretty solid choice. It's annoying trying to level-up an Electrike with Tackle, though. It doesn't learn Spark until LV.20 something, iirc.

Anyway. I have a Sheer Force Mawile, but I'm not sure how to EV train it. It's Adamant, so I know I'm going to do max attack. The intended set is:

303.gif

Adamant
Sheer Force

Swords Dance
Iron Head
Crunch/Sucker Punch
Brick Break/Fire Fang
252 Atk / ???

Mawile has base 50 Speed, so I know there's not much point investing all into Speed and I'd like to have some HP EV's in there aswell. But I'm not sure what Base 50s would be good to outrun. This is intended for the RU tier (I wouldn't dream of using it in OU/UU...) so any help would be appreciated. I know Sharking plays RU, so maybe he has some ideas? :p

Also, does Brick Break get the Sheer Force boost? On Serebii it doesn't have it listed, but breaking screens is a secondary effect... If not, is Rock Smash (oh no, I didn't...) better than Brick Break? Or should I just use Fire Fang for other Steel-types?

^Yeah, when I played through I found Manectric to be a pretty solid choice. It's annoying trying to level-up an Electrike with Tackle, though. It doesn't learn Spark until LV.20 something, iirc.

Anyway. I have a Sheer Force Mawile, but I'm not sure how to EV train it. It's Adamant, so I know I'm going to do max attack. The intended set is:

303.gif

Adamant
Sheer Force

Swords Dance
Iron Head
Crunch/Sucker Punch
Brick Break/Fire Fang
252 Atk / ???

Mawile has base 50 Speed, so I know there's not much point investing all into Speed and I'd like to have some HP EV's in there aswell. But I'm not sure what Base 50s would be good to outrun. This is intended for the RU tier (I wouldn't dream of using it in OU/UU...) so any help would be appreciated. I know Sharking plays RU, so maybe he has some ideas? :p

Also, does Brick Break get the Sheer Force boost? On Serebii it doesn't have it listed, but breaking screens is a secondary effect... If not, is Rock Smash (oh no, I didn't...) better than Brick Break? Or should I just use Fire Fang for other Steel-types?

I'm pretty sure Brick Break doesn't get a Sheer Force boost. I don't do RU, but, from what can see, there are a fair few Flying-types and Bug-types in that tier, so maybe Rock Slide would be a good choice. Fire Fang should be used over Brick Break, and, even with the 1.3x boost, Rock Smash is nowhere near as powerful as Brick Break is normally. For EVs, I'd use the ones from the Smogon analysis - 128 HP/252 Attack/128 Def - as that's pretty much all you can put them into effectively, and a Life Orb looks like a good item for it, it you're confident it can survive some attacks.

I'm pretty sure Brick Break doesn't get a Sheer Force boost. I don't do RU, but, from what can see, there are a fair few Flying-types and Bug-types in that tier, so maybe Rock Slide would be a good choice.

What would Rock Slide go over, though? Iron Head is STAB, Sucker Punch for reasonable priority (and Mawile is slow, so it's a plus) and Fire Fang is for other Steel-types. Swords Dance has to stay for it to do any reasonable damage at all.

Fire Fang should be used over Brick Break,

Gotcha.

and, even with the 1.3x boost, Rock Smash is nowhere near as powerful as Brick Break is normally.

I thought so, but I'm not clued up on what the boosts are.

For EVs, I'd use the ones from the Smogon analysis - 128 HP/252 Attack/128 Def - as that's pretty much all you can put them into effectively, and a Life Orb looks like a good item for it, it you're confident it can survive some attacks.

It has a Smogon analysis? With it being NU, and not really viable anywhere but there, I didn't think it had one as they haven't done NU ones yet?

Thanks for the input, though. I'm now thinking I should have done Impish for a bulkier set; Mawile's not that bulky, and might not even set-up. :<

What would Rock Slide go over, though? Iron Head is STAB, Sucker Punch for reasonable priority (and Mawile is slow, so it's a plus) and Fire Fang is for other Steel-types. Swords Dance has to stay for it to do any reasonable damage at all.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I just thought I'd throw it in for consideration, though.

It has a Smogon analysis? With it being NU, and not really viable anywhere but there, I didn't think it had one as they haven't done NU ones yet?

I think most things have Smogon analyses.
But, bluh, my bad, it's not really an analysis - my brain's not working at all today, and I'm missing really obvious things. It has a few sets, though - derp.

Thanks for the input, though. I'm now thinking I should have done Impish for a bulkier set; Mawile's not that bulky, and might not even set-up. :<

You could take off Swords Dance and have Rock Slide over it, maybe? I'm sure it'd still do a good amount of damage with Sheer Force and a Life Orb anyway.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I just thought I'd throw it in for consideration, though.

Well, it would be good to hit things like Charizard and Moltres if they were to switch-in, but I wouldn't stay in to try and hit them. Steel/Dark/Fire has a fair few things that wall it, so I'll take it into consideration. With Yanmega and Venomoth now banned to BL2, I don't think there's a huge need for it at the moment, but we'll see.

I think most things have Smogon analyses.
But, bluh, my bad, it's not really an analysis - my brain's not working at all today, and I'm missing really obvious things. It has a few sets, though - derp.

Oh, its DST thread, yeah.

You could take off Swords Dance and have Rock Slide over it, maybe? I'm sure it'd still do a good amount of damage with Sheer Force and a Life Orb anyway.

Hmm. I suppose that's a thought. I read somewhere that with Sheer Force, Nidoqueen has the equivalent to 120 Base Attack, or something. And Mawile has around the same attack stat as that. I don't like the thought of not having Swords Dance, though.

I think its 110 + flying gem boost because I think that it doesn't get the technician boost however I could be wrong.

I think its 110 + flying gem boost because I think that it doesn't get the technician boost however I could be wrong.

Yeah, Acrobatics doesn't get the Technician boost, which is a shame. It's not like Acrobatics + Flying Gem together isn't good by itself, though.

If you give a Cell Battery to a Pokemon with Moter Drive or Volt Absorb, will it like higher both speed and attack (Moter Drive ex.)?

Only speed is raised, Motor Drive and other similar abilities nullify the Cell Battery from working.

Baby Drillbur

I will soon have a level one baby Drillbur. I don't know what moves it will know although it's father was a level 57 Purrlion knowing snatch, sucker punch and two other move I can't remember. I need advice on how to train it Ev wise. Should I save just before it hatchs so I get a good nature, or just not bother?:eh:

Re: Baby Drillbur

I will soon have a level one baby Drillbur. I don't know what moves it will know although it's father was a level 57 Purrlion knowing snatch, sucker punch and two other move I can't remember. I need advice on how to train it Ev wise. Should I save just before it hatchs so I get a good nature, or just not bother?:eh:

While not trying to mini-mod but there is a simple questions stickied on the top.
You drilbur is unlikely to know Egg moves if you mean that.
Just train all its evs in attack and speed.
IIRC you need to save before you get the egg to influencce the poke's nature.
And finally, if you are going to battle competitively, then I must point out that smogon has banned Excadrill.

Re: Baby Drillbur

While not trying to mini-mod but there is a simple questions stickied on the top.
You drilbur is unlikely to know Egg moves if you mean that.
Just train all its evs in attack and speed.
IIRC you need to save before you get the egg to influencce the poke's nature.
And finally, if you are going to battle competitively, then I must point out that smogon has banned Excadrill.

Why? Did Smogon ban it. Who gave them power?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom