• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Due to this team having two Pokémon in the UU tier - Togekiss and Rhyperior - this team would be classed as a UU team. The other four Pokémon are from the RU tier,
the tier below UU.

Seeing as you just want to teach them moves and level them up, they won't have amazingly good sets, due to them not being able to learn Egg Moves, but I'll try.

Feraligatr - Waterfall, Swords Dance, Earthquake and Crunch.
Sceptile - Swords Dance, Leaf Blade, Rock Slide and Earthquake.
Charizard - Focus Blast, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Air Slash and Roost.
Togekiss - Work Up, Extremespeed, Aura Sphere and Air Slash.
Rhyperior - Earthquake, Megahorn, Stone Edge and Avalanche.
Electivire - Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Wild Charge and Brick Break.

Your team looks like it would obviously be lacking attackers from the Special side of the spectrum, so I'd really recommend having a more specially-based Sceptile. Its Special Attack is higher than its Attack stat anyway. But, seeing as the Hidden Power for your Pokémon might be horrible, you could use a Mixed set.

Sceptile - Brick Break, Giga Drain, Leaf Storm and Rock Slide.

Giga Drain could be replaced with Swords Dance if you really want, I guess.

Having no Egg Moves really hurts this guy.

Machamp - DynamicPunch, Earthquake, Stone Edge and Payback.
This is for Generation IV, except for the Machamp (that was a plan for my Black team)
Well, the Machop isn't my Machop anyway (I got it from a trade and one of the IVs is 31)...and these Pokemon are caught by normal means, and I don't really want to start from Lv.1...
And for Sceptile, I can use Leaf Storm frequently if Sceptile has a move like Growth (ups Sp.Atk)...otherwise, I'll stick to Physical moves and use Leaf Storm when facing a strong opponent.
And, I have got a new question.
I have 4 Pokemon that I want to use for my SoulSilver team. They are Meganium, Gyarados, Typhlosion and Dragonite. What I want to ask is about the 2 remaining Pokemon.
What should I use?

Last edited:
Seeing as you already have the Water/Grass/Fire core, maybe just get a Pokemon not of any of the types you have, like a Mamoswine.

Gengar too is a good Heartgold/Soulsilver Pokemon.

If I want to use Tangrowth on a sun team with enough speed (assuming Chlorophyll and the sun is out) and physical attacking power to OHKO T-Tar, Politoed, and Hippowdon but still with enough defensive bulk to absorb a hit or two, what sort of nature EV spread should I use?

I have a question...can only certain rarely used pokemon(like emonga) have to be in its own tier party? Or can they join a ou tier party as a member?

Last edited:
I have a question...can only certain rarely used pokemon(like emonga) have to be in its own tier party? Or can they join a ou tier party as a member?

Pokémon from lower tiers can be used in tiers higher than themselves - Emolga in OU would be fine, just as Yanmega in OU is fine - but Pokémon cannot be used in tiers lower then their respective tiers - Rayquaza can't be used in OU, or Tyranitar in RU, etc.

How does Psych Up work on a Pokemon with Contrary? Does it copy the opponent's changes as per usual, or do they get inverted as well?

Pokémon from lower tiers can be used in tiers higher than themselves - Emolga in OU would be fine, just as Yanmega in OU is fine - but Pokémon cannot be used in tiers lower then their respective tiers - Rayquaza can't be used in OU, or Tyranitar in RU, etc.

That was helpful! thanks!

How does Psych Up work on a Pokemon with Contrary? Does it copy the opponent's changes as per usual, or do they get inverted as well?

I'm pretty sure Psych Up would copy the opponent's stat changes as usual, seeing as the opponent would have +whatever number in a stat - it doesn't count as a -number, so there's no reason why the Pokémon using Psych Up would gain negative stat bonuses.

That was helpful! thanks!

No problem.

If I want to use Tangrowth on a sun team with enough speed (assuming Chlorophyll and the sun is out) and physical attacking power to OHKO T-Tar, Politoed, and Hippowdon but still with enough defensive bulk to absorb a hit or two, what sort of nature EV spread should I use?

I haven't run any calcs, but I think that a simple 252 / 4 / 252 should be fine. Tangrowth has enough natural physical bulk to take most priority hits AFAIK.

If you want a physical-based Tangrowth, try running this set:

Tangrowth (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Power Whip
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rock Slide
- Growth

@Heathcliff Huxtable Much obliged. Though I wonder if a Naive nature wouldn't work too? I ran some calcs with both natures and Naive seemed to still have enough power to KO all three of them with Power Whip.

I'm new to competitive battling. Are there any good articles that will help explain the 5th generation of competitive battling to me? I had trouble finding anything; most was for the 4th generation and the rest assumed I already played in the 4th generation.

Thanks for your help!

Are there ANY moves, abilities, or conditions (besides Mummy) that will override Truant?
Whilst it doesn't eliminate Truant, you can use Giga Impact without having to rest.

But yeah, Mummy, Gastro Acid and Skill Swap are your only options.

Casual Battles

So I have a couple of questions. One, do you just play to have fun and battle non-competitively. Two, do you have any strategies that can beat even a Competitive Battler?
I usually use a team that is headed by my SB Blaziken which can sometimes beat a whole team.

I'm thinking of making a Trick Room team.
So far I have Reuniclus and Vanilluxe.

Any suggestions?

@blaziken10285

I moved your post here. In the future, please post all basic questions you may have regarding competitive battling in this thread.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom