• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I've trained a Dusknoir for use in battles. After testing it out against my brother, I feel like it's actually pretty lacking in performance. I feel like it could have something to do with the fact that it has no really powerful STAB move (Shadow punch, although the best physical ghost move it can get, only has 60 Power), or maybe it's something else I'm not seeing.
Dusknoir
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Hp/ 4 Sp.Def
Nature: Bashful
IVs: Chaos only knows, Judge says perfect speed.
Item: None at the moment
Moves: Brick Break, Shadow Punch, Will-o-wisp, Shadow Sneak
Strategy: Will-o-wisp a burn onto defending Pokemon, attack with relevant attack, use Shadow Sneak if it looks like it can KO. Tank is a good general description of his overall goal.

If anyone can give me some idea as to how I might make him better or some item to use that'd be awesome. Thanks.
Dusknoir's all the way down in PU? How the mighty have fallen...

True, you'd be better off replacing Shadow Punch with something else...a weak STAB attack is not as handy as a stronger move that offers wider coverage.

You can try out any of the elemental punches (pick one that suits your matchup) as well as Earthquake to for decent power and coverage. Burn is always useful so I'd suggest keeping it in there, Shadow Sneak as well...priority is always nice and Brick Break/Earthquake feels a bit redundant. Might have to resort to burn or switching out Dusknoir if you don't have a good matchup, as for the item you can try Choice Band or Leftovers.

You can also try a defensive set with HP/Defense EVs and Leftovers with Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split, and a mix of two attacking moves of your choice.

Hey guys. It may be a silly question but what is the perfect nature for Mew on many things? If I recall correctly, Mew can pretty do much anything.

I have a question about my Kanto classic team. I don't know if I could use ether Aerodactyl or Dugtrio, whitish one is good for my team? What Pokemon would be good for the team or any changes I need to make?

Clefable (F)
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Arcanine (F)
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpA / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Snarl
- Heat Wave
- Morning Sun
- Sunny Day

Venusaur (F)
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpA
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Aerodactyl (F)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Starmie
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Machamp
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 56 Def / 200 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Bullet Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch

Hey guys. It may be a dumb question but which one of the Mega Charizards is better? The Y version or the X version? Mega Charizard X carries the characteristics of the Dragon-Type with the good physical attack power while Mega Charizard Y carries the same characteristics of an average Charizard. It has an incredible ability Drought lets let's you use Solar Beam right away while weakened the water types moves. Its special attack power is right off the charts. If Y uses Dragon Pulse, it could take out the Dragon types instantly. Both Mega Charizards have the same amount of speed.

@Shego There are no dumb questions (except maybe "Can I ask you a question?" Because you just did). I've tried both Megarizards, and I've found that the Y version seems to work out better most of the time. That's not to say that the X version doesn't have its advantages. Y's drought tends to work best, allowing it to blast off a Solar Beam without needing to charge it first, or a supercharged Flamethrower, and help its teammates who may need or enjoy the sun. Couple that with Dragon Pulse and Charizard now has very good coverage against anything that resists its flamethrower. Make the last move Roost or some other special attacking move, and you've got a pretty nice Pokemon. X's dragon typing moves its 4x weakness to rock into 2x, and allows it to gain STAB from its dragon type moves, and its Tough Claws powers up moves that make direct contact by 33%. This makes moves like Dragon Claw and Fire Punch/Flare Blitz quite threatening, throw in Roost and another direct contact physical move and again; very nice Charizard. Unfortunately its inability to reliably use Solar Beam takes away the ability to deal with its rock & ground type weaknesses, Earthquake can deal good damage to rock types but it doesn't make contact, and so won't be boosted by Tough Claws. Overall, which Megarizard to use is really determined by its teammates, look at your team, and decide what you need more of. If you need better coverage on rock, ground, or water types, or just need another special attacker, choose Megarizard Y. If you need more physical attacking pick Megarizard X.

@Shego There are no dumb questions (except maybe "Can I ask you a question?" Because you just did). I've tried both Megarizards, and I've found that the Y version seems to work out better most of the time. That's not to say that the X version doesn't have its advantages. Y's drought tends to work best, allowing it to blast off a Solar Beam without needing to charge it first, or a supercharged Flamethrower, and help its teammates who may need or enjoy the sun. Couple that with Dragon Pulse and Charizard now has very good coverage against anything that resists its flamethrower. Make the last move Roost or some other special attacking move, and you've got a pretty nice Pokemon. X's dragon typing moves its 4x weakness to rock into 2x, and allows it to gain STAB from its dragon type moves, and its Tough Claws powers up moves that make direct contact by 33%. This makes moves like Dragon Claw and Fire Punch/Flare Blitz quite threatening, throw in Roost and another direct contact physical move and again; very nice Charizard. Unfortunately its inability to reliably use Solar Beam takes away the ability to deal with its rock & ground type weaknesses, Earthquake can deal good damage to rock types but it doesn't make contact, and so won't be boosted by Tough Claws. Overall, which Megarizard to use is really determined by its teammates, look at your team, and decide what you need more of. If you need better coverage on rock, ground, or water types, or just need another special attacker, choose Megarizard Y. If you need more physical attacking pick Megarizard X.

Ok. Sounds good that Mega Charizard Y has more coverage like Solar Beam to take out Rock,Ground,and bulky water types, avoiding ground type moves like Earthquake, STAB moves like Flamethrower and Fire Blast. Drought ability weakens the water while power up fire types moves. Dragon Pulse can help if it chain bred. While Mega Charizard X can do some heavy physical damages with Tough Claw ability once it make contact.

I guess Calm/Careful nature is best suited for the supportive Mew with the BP set and stallbreaker set, correct?

I'm not that great with the whole natures thing, and I don't know what a "BP set" is supposed to be, so don't take my word for this, but looking at the natures article on Bulbapedia (I assume a stallbreaker needs good attacking stats), yes, calm and careful do look like the natures to pick. Also maybe bold or impish as they increase attacking stats while lowering the defense stat. Again, I'm not an expert here so you may wish to get a second opinion.

I'm not that great with the whole natures thing, and I don't know what a "BP set" is supposed to be, so don't take my word for this, but looking at the natures article on Bulbapedia (I assume a stallbreaker needs good attacking stats), yes, calm and careful do look like the natures to pick. Also maybe bold or impish as they increase attacking stats while lowering the defense stat. Again, I'm not an expert here so you may wish to get a second opinion.

"BP" means Baton Pass. It comes in handy when it comes to boosting stats while pass it on into its teammates.

"BP" means Baton Pass. It comes in handy when it comes to boosting stats while pass it on into its teammates.
Well then, I'd imagine that a Baton Passer would want to have the best defenses, to survive long enough to use a boosting move and then Baton Pass. In which case I'd think that Lonely, Naughty, Mild, or Rash would be better choices.

Hello everyone. There's something that I like to ask of you. What is the best nature, EV spread,and moveset for the supportive Celebi? You know, as it can be the healer of the team, baton passer,and a special attacker? Could it be the bold nature?

Hello everyone. There's something that I like to ask of you. What is the best nature, EV spread,and moveset for the supportive Celebi? You know, as it can be the healer of the team, baton passer,and a special attacker? Could it be the bold nature?
Yes, Bold is the ideal nature for a defensive Celebi. The EV spread and moveset will depend on how you want Celebi to function on your team. 252 HP EVs is a must for any support set, and you can add as many Speed EVs as you think you will need to outspeed certain threats, then dump the rest of the EVs into Defense. For a Baton Pass set, you'd want at least Baton Pass, Recover, a boosting move or substitute, and an attacking move.

Hey guys. There's something that I like to ask of you. What are the best nature for Articuno,Moltres, and Zapdos with their Hidden Abilities?

Bold for Zapdos, Timid for Articuno, and I'm not sure whether offensive (Timid) or Defensive (Bold) for Moltres. Probably the former tbh.

I'm building a doubles team around Zygarde, but I don't know if it's better to have Zygarde use camouflage or have a Pokemon soak Zygarde. What do you think?

Any of you know a good set for a competitive Gastrodon? Only thing I know is that it should be physically defensive and carry scald and recover...but I don't know too much else. Nature should be bold right? Relaxed works too?

Thanks!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom