• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

I am having a little trouble EV training and everywhere I look it says to use Pokerus, which I dont have and now I am all confused about it. Is there anyone who can help me please?

What do you need help with about it, exactly?

Well I kinda just suck at math so I am trying to figure out just the number of that I need to beat according to the EVs they give. And to gain 252 EVs in attack lets say, and I use 10 proteins, that means I only need to fight 30 lilpups. But if I am Going for 252 in Def. Durants give out 2 EVs do I only need to fight 15 Durants? And if I am putting in 128 Evs into one stat can I still use the vitamins and how many pokemon would I need to fight, lets say frillish and Durants? And yes I am using the power items but no Pokerus.

Well I kinda just suck at math so I am trying to figure out just the number of that I need to beat according to the EVs they give. And to gain 252 EVs in attack lets say, and I use 10 proteins, that means I only need to fight 30 lilpups. But if I am Going for 252 in Def. Durants give out 2 EVs do I only need to fight 15 Durants? And if I am putting in 128 Evs into one stat can I still use the vitamins and how many pokemon would I need to fight, lets say frillish and Durants? And yes I am using the power items but no Pokerus.

For example, if you want 252 evs in def, do this:
1)Feed you poke 10 def vitamins(forgot its name)
So, now it will have 100evs in def.

2)Now make him hold a power item and fight Durants.
Each victory over Durant will give you (2 + 4 [must hold the power item])= 6 evs.
So fight 30 Durants and you get 150 evs.

At this point you should have 100 + 150 = 250evs if you did every thing correctly.
Now save the game.
Then collect 3 Defense wings or whatever they are called and give them to your poke one by one.
If you get the message:"It won't have any effect" on giving the 3rd wing, you have done it perfectly and your poke has exactly 252 evs in def.

For example, if you want 252 evs in def, do this:
1)Feed you poke 10 def vitamins(forgot its name)
So, now it will have 100evs in def.

2)Now make him hold a power item and fight Durants.
Each victory over Durant will give you (2 + 4 [must hold the power item])= 6 evs.
So fight 30 Durants and you get 150 evs.

At this point you should have 100 + 150 = 250evs if you did every thing correctly.
Now save the game.
Then collect 3 Defense wings or whatever they are called and give them to your poke one by one.
If you get the message:"It won't have any effect" on giving the 3rd wing, you have done it perfectly and your poke has exactly 252 evs in def.

Thanks a lot ClownCrete, now I feel rather dumb because that is pretty easy to figure out, XD.

I have a question about the "phenomena" that occurs within the game. some pokemon occur within them but at a low rate for example lapras has a 5% chance at darn I can't remember its name the first town/ bridge to the east of the 8th gym city. I was sondering how do you exacgtly make them appear? do you just have to run/ surf, walk around the area hoping for them to pop up?

I have a question about the "phenomena" that occurs within the game. some pokemon occur within them but at a low rate for example lapras has a 5% chance at darn I can't remember its name the first town/ bridge to the east of the 8th gym city. I was sondering how do you exacgtly make them appear? do you just have to run/ surf, walk around the area hoping for them to pop up?

I think these Pokémon you are referring to appear in the weird bubble things that happen sometimes when you are surfing. Like an Audino patch.

I have a question about the "phenomena" that occurs within the game. some pokemon occur within them but at a low rate for example lapras has a 5% chance at darn I can't remember its name the first town/ bridge to the east of the 8th gym city. I was sondering how do you exacgtly make them appear? do you just have to run/surf/walk/bike around the area hoping for them to pop up?

Answer in bold.

Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

Does anyone know the point of the aura test in Mystery Dungeon: EoS? I heard it's down to your favourite colour on your DS, but I kept getting sky blue even though my colour is set to deep green. Any ideas?

Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

Does anyone know the point of the aura test in Mystery Dungeon: EoS? I heard it's down to your favourite colour on your DS, but I kept getting sky blue even though my colour is set to deep green. Any ideas?

It's not always based on the colour set on your DS - only most of the time. I guess it chooses a random colour occasionally. I've had it happen to me before - the colour on my DS was red and the game gave me purple.

As mentioned, you can run, surf, walk, cycle... but unless you're a big Basculin fan, I wouldn't surf. There's an "island" between the banks that gives a good vantage point for looking for rippling water - cycling up and down it should generate the most rippling spots without as many Basculin to run into.

I know White Forest has been asked about quite a bit, but I still can't make sense of a few things:

1. My Forest is full (10 residents), but do I still have to talk to each resident every single day (or every other day) to stop them from leaving? Bulbapedia says talking to a character is worth +10 pts towards them staying but letting a day pass is worth -5 pts. Or is this calculated before you get there, and they don't leave after you arrive?

2. There are 25 Pokémon capturable in the Forest but only 10 residents at a time. Can I change the Pokémon capturable? Or do I have to trade my captures for safe-keeping, then complete White over and over and cherry-pick the ones I don't have from each new 10? Black City can only have max. 12 trainers so are more than two games necessary?

I know White Forest has been asked about quite a bit, but I still can't make sense of a few things:

1. My Forest is full (10 residents), but do I still have to talk to each resident every single day (or every other day) to stop them from leaving? Bulbapedia says talking to a character is worth +10 pts towards them staying but letting a day pass is worth -5 pts. Or is this calculated before you get there, and they don't leave after you arrive?

2. There are 25 Pokémon capturable in the Forest but only 10 residents at a time. Can I change the Pokémon capturable? Or do I have to trade my captures for safe-keeping, then complete White over and over and cherry-pick the ones I don't have from each new 10? Black City can only have max. 12 trainers so are more than two games necessary?
1. You still have to keep talking to them to stop them leaving, as it's -5 vs +10 every second day will do though.
2. There are actually 34 Pokemon capturable in the Forest. If you wanted, you could trade and restart with hope for different people, or otherwise wait for some to leave and recruit people from another copy of Black.
By the way, both can only have 10 residents maximum out of a pool of 30, Black City (and White Forest) just has two trainers that aren't residents.

I have a question about calculating STAB/a move's power..

Do i simply take the move's power number and multiply it by 1.5?

Like if i wanted to see how powerful a Swampert's Surf was, would i just have to multiply 95*1.5=142?
But then where does the pokemon's Atk/Sp.Atk stat come into play to determine just how strong a move would be if it were to use it (with or without STAB)?

I'm a little confused so any help would be appreciated, otherwise i'm just gunna stick to listing my pokemon's moves by their sticker power.

1. You still have to keep talking to them to stop them leaving, as it's -5 vs +10 every second day will do though.
2. There are actually 34 Pokemon capturable in the Forest. If you wanted, you could trade and restart with hope for different people, or otherwise wait for some to leave and recruit people from another copy of Black.
By the way, both can only have 10 residents maximum out of a pool of 30, Black City (and White Forest) just has two trainers that aren't residents.

Many thanks - it makes much more sense now.

I have a question about calculating STAB/a move's power..

Do i simply take the move's power number and multiply it by 1.5?

Like if i wanted to see how powerful a Swampert's Surf was, would i just have to multiply 95*1.5=142?
But then where does the pokemon's Atk/Sp.Atk stat come into play to determine just how strong a move would be if it were to use it (with or without STAB)?

I'm a little confused so any help would be appreciated, otherwise i'm just gunna stick to listing my pokemon's moves by their sticker power.

STAB doesn't change the Base Power of a move - it affects the damage the move does.

Damage = ((((2 * Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / DefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * STAB * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100

That is the formula for calculating damage, taking into account stats, BP of moves, defenses and everything else.

STAB doesn't change the Base Power of a move - it affects the damage the move does.

Damage = ((((2 * Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / DefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * STAB * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100

That is the formula for calculating damage, taking into account stats, BP of moves, defenses and everything else.

(;______________________;)

uhm, is there no way to just get a rough number of how strong an attack will be without taking an opponent into account?....

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom