• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Hey guys, I need someone to explain something to me.

I was just battling online. It was my Starmie VS someone's Thundurus. The thing is that Thundurus always moved before me, when that's impossible. My Starmie's Speed is 358, while the highest Speed a Thundurus can have is 353. He wasn't holding any Choice items because he used different moves and his item was Leftovers. Can someone explain to me what happened? I mean, why did Thundurus move before my Starmie if my Starmie was faster?

Well, did Thundurus get any speed boosts from moves (or did Starmie lose any speed)? That's basically all I can think of. Unless the level adjustments did anything, but from what it sounds like, you were battling at regular levels.

Hey guys, I need someone to explain something to me.

I was just battling online. It was my Starmie VS someone's Thundurus. The thing is that Thundurus always moved before me, when that's impossible. My Starmie's Speed is 358, while the highest Speed a Thundurus can have is 353. He wasn't holding any Choice items because he used different moves and his item was Leftovers. Can someone explain to me what happened? I mean, why did Thundurus move before my Starmie if my Starmie was faster?

Well, did Thundurus get any speed boosts from moves (or did Starmie lose any speed)? That's basically all I can think of. Unless the level adjustments did anything, but from what it sounds like, you were battling at regular levels.

No =/ I never lost any Speed, and he never gained Speed either... What could have happened?

Was trick room in effect? What about the priority of the moves?

Was trick room in effect? What about the priority of the moves?

No... Thundurus was the only Pokémon who participated in the battle, and he never used Trick Room... He only used Thunder and Hammer Arm, which have normal priority, and the move I used was Ice Beam, which has a normal priority too. D:

Then the only other possibility that I can think of is somehow the speed stats were changed.

It could be hacked, but I would think it would have been detected that way.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

is there a way to get a different swarm in HGSS?

The only time it changes is by waiting until the next day and there is no other way around it without cheating or hacking. Only Gen V games can be manipulated by switching the console off and on.

Oh, is that only for official tournaments, then (don't know too much about online battling)? In that case, it could have been hacked.

I don't think it's possible to hack beyond the limits of the Pokemon.

The only time it changes is by waiting until the next day and there is no other way around it without cheating or hacking. Only Gen V games can be manipulated by switching the console off and on.

Actually it should be possible if you change the clock to 11:58pm then just wait the 2mins for the day to switch over. Hypothetically it would change the swarm. No harm in trying, though you run the risk of messing with the Safari Zone's speal, and w/e else is time sensitive.

I have a question about Gyro Ball. You know the damage that move deals depends on how big the difference between battlers' Speeds are, right? Let's say I'm using my Ferrothorn against a Dragonite, who keeps using Agility. Dragonite's Speed is increasing, right? Does Gyro Ball's damage increase every time Dragonite uses Agility? Or let's say someone uses Cotton Spore on my Ferrothorn and my Speed decreases. Does that increase the damage Gyro Ball will deal?

And I also have a question about Swagger. That move increases the target's Attack by two stages, but leaves it confused. After the target snaps out of its confusion, do they keep the Attack boost they got earlier, or do they lose it?

Last edited:

@Anser; Since Gyro Ball's damage calculation is based on both parties current speed when the attack is used, any modifiers such as Agility and Cotton Spore would be taken into account. For Swagger, the attack stages remain raised until the end of battle or another ability changes them.

Next up is the hacked Thundurus. The hack checks for pokemon are done for GTS Battles/Trades. WiFi/IR Trades/Battles don't have the same checks. It is possible to raise EV and Stat Values above the Pokemon's normal values. It would revert to its true stats if leveled or moved from box to party. I don't believe the level adjustment from flat battles reverts the value.

Has everyone somehow forgotten that Thundurus's ability is Prankster? (I'm assuming, naturally, you didn't battle it in therian forme.)

All of his moves get +1 priority, so that you can only beat him to the punch if your pokemon is faster and has prankster as well; or if your pokemon uses a priority move like pursuit, extremespeed, or aqua jet.

Actually it should be possible if you change the clock to 11:58pm then just wait the 2mins for the day to switch over. Hypothetically it would change the swarm. No harm in trying, though you run the risk of messing with the Safari Zone's speal, and w/e else is time sensitive.
I think I've tried this and I dont think it worked, but like you said, give it a try...

I don't think it's possible to hack beyond the limits of the Pokemon.

It is actually. My friend who used to play Pokemon had Pokesav, and he could type in EV's higher than 255 without a problem, and I think he could do the same for IV's although I'm not certain. But yeah he had Pokemon like with 255 EV's in each stat

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom