• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but out of curiosity, how in the world do you check IVs on a Pokemon?

Unfortuantely, unless you use a cheating device, there is no way in-game to simply check a Pokémon's IVs.

However, there are a few online calculators, such as this one at Psypoke's, that can help you find your Pokémon's IVs. You just put in their species, level, nature, current stats, and whatever EVs they have, and they'll give you a range of possible EVs that Pokémon could have. Works better with higher levels, since it allows the range to narrow down and be more accurate.

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but out of curiosity, how in the world do you check IVs on a Pokemon?

You can check at the Battle Subway in Nimbasa, although he isn't terribly specific.

First he will tell you the overall rating of your Pokémon:

Decent = 0-90 IV's overall
Above Average = 91-120 IV's overall
Relatively Superior = 121-150 IV's overall
Outstanding = 151-186 IV's overall

Then he will single out a single stat:

Decent = 0-15
Very Good = 16-25
Fantastic = 26-30
Can't Be Better = 31

That's about as accurate as you can get in the game itself without using an online calculator I think.

Re: Latios snuck up on me in SoulSilver and fled. Is it gone forever?

I'm afraid that I haven't saved in a while and may have to reset.

If I'm remembering correctly, Latios in Soul Silver roams around like Raikou and Entei. So if it does flee from you, you should be able to find it again. I think the Pokégear shows where it's located, although, it's location changes when you enter a new route/city unless theirs a gate to go through. Again, not 100% since I haven't played SS in a while. Hope I could help. :)

Re: Latios snuck up on me in SoulSilver and fled. Is it gone forever?

I'm afraid that I haven't saved in a while and may have to reset.
It isn't, if it fled, you can find it again as long as you saved after exiting the Pokemon Fan Club in Vermillion City and gotten the Lost Item after hearing about Copycat's lost Poke Doll. Steven Stone approaches you and tells you Latios/Latias is roaming Kanto and shows you a picture. You can track it in your PokeGear. If you didnt save after this, just go back to the Fan Club again and pick up the Lost Item.

Do the effects of the shiny charm and the Masuda method stack?

Also, not 100% Pokemon related but 3DS Ice White or 3DS Metallic Red?

Yes, the Shiny Charm increases Masuda Method's odds to 1/1024 chance of hatching a shiny.

as to the 3DS question, my personal preference is Ice White.

From what I remember, yes they do stack. And I'd go Metallic Red (my brother has it), Ice White (while I haven't seen in person) doesn't seem like it'd be too interesting to look at, but it depends on your preferences.

edit:

Shiny Charm Effect Info said:
Increases the chances of encountering Shiny Pokémon. The chance of encountering Shiny Pokémon in the wild is changed to 1/2730. The chance of an egg producing a Shiny Pokémon via the Masuda method is changed to 1/1024.

Yes, the Shiny Charm increases Masuda Method's odds to 1/1024 chance of hatching a shiny.
From what I remember, yes they do stack.
edit:

Shiny Charm Effect Info said:
Increases the chances of encountering Shiny Pokémon. The chance of encountering Shiny Pokémon in the wild is changed to 1/2730. The chance of an egg producing a Shiny Pokémon via the Masuda method is changed to 1/1024.

Thank you both!

as to the 3DS question, my personal preference is Ice White.
And I'd go Metallic Red (my brother has it), Ice White (while I haven't seen in person) doesn't seem like it'd be too interesting to look at, but it depends on your preferences.

Well, that didn't help much, lol.

What's a good Pokemon In Black2 to use as a HMSlave?

Bibarel, Dragonite, Smeargle, and Ducklett all come to mind for me. Just depends on what HMs you actually have for battle on your team, and what HMs you need on a mule.

Thanks. And I mainly just want to have a Pokemon to use the HM's to get through places in the games.

In pokemon conquest, Is it possible to get black Rayquaza without the event Reshiram?

Ah, thank you guys :D I never knew really how to do it minus the guy in the Battle Subway.

In pokemon conquest, Is it possible to get black Rayquaza without the event Reshiram?

As far as I understand, yes, you do. For Rayquaza to be obtainable you need to have first obtained every other legendary Pokemon.

:T is sheer force a dream world ability for steelix? If not..maybe ive just been really unlucky in finding one.

I'm kind of confused about how the move Roost works. I was under the impression that if that move is used, the user becomes "grounded" and becomes vulnerable to Ground-type moves. But that wasn't my experience when I was battling a friend using my Flygon against his Pidgeot. Pidgeot used Roost so I used a Ground-type move (I don't remember which one) thinking it would hit but it didn't. Was it non-effective because my Flygon was faster and Roost was used second, thus ending the turn, which would make my Ground-type moves ineffective at the beginning of the next turn? In other words, if a slower Pokemon uses Roost during Single Battle (ending the turn) does the faster Pokemon's Ground-type moves become ineffective since they would be used at what would technically be the next turn? This would make it advantageous to have the move on a slower Pokemon, would it not?

I'm kind of confused about how the move Roost works. I was under the impression that if that move is used, the user becomes "grounded" and becomes vulnerable to Ground-type moves. But that wasn't my experience when I was battling a friend using my Flygon against his Pidgeot. Pidgeot used Roost so I used a Ground-type move (I don't remember which one) thinking it would hit but it didn't. Was it non-effective because my Flygon was faster and Roost was used second, thus ending the turn, which would make my Ground-type moves ineffective at the beginning of the next turn? In other words, if a slower Pokemon uses Roost during Single Battle (ending the turn) does the faster Pokemon's Ground-type moves become ineffective since they would be used at what would technically be the next turn? This would make it advantageous to have the move on a slower Pokemon, would it not?
I dont believe Roost makes Flying Pokemon venerable to Ground type moves.

The effects of Roost only last for the turn it was used. So yeah, slower Pokémon don't show any of the effects besides healing.

As for whether it's advantageous or not, it really depends on how good Flying is at resisting the opponent's move. For example, if your opponent is using a Rock-type move, it would be helpful to ditch the Flying type before they attack. But in the situation you described, the slower Roost user has the advantage.

I dont believe Roost makes Flying Pokemon venerable to Ground type moves.

Indeed, Roost only restores half the user's max HP, and if a flying type uses the move, it will lose it's flying typing (or if it was a pure flying type, be treated as a normal type) until the end of the turn.

I'm having a total mind-blank. So, at the risk of sounding really dumb...

Was there a canine Pokemon introduced in Gen IV?

Gen I - Growlithe/Arcanine
Gen II - Houndour/Houndoom
Gen III - Poochyena/Mightyena
Gen IV - ...?
Gen V - Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland

Surely Snubbull counts as a dog. Not gen 4 but it counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom