• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Hey guys! I have a writing question and I figured I should pose it here rather than in the general conversational chat thread.

How obvious can a "meaningful name" be before it's too treacly? Like if I have a character who is of French descent whose main trait is she is very envious, is making her surname "Yeuxverts" too much? (French for "green eyes")

Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

I dunno, I know approximately one word of French, so I definitely wouldn't even be able to roll my eyes at that.

While I think Yeuxverts isn't too awful and isn't too obvious either, it might be better to find a real french last name that is related to the trait. I know all or most of the characters in my fic have meaningful names since its such a common trend in the pokemon games, but pretty much all their names are real names. I think that is probably the key to meaningful names. Making them names that parents might realistically name their child and last names a person might realistically have. Still, like I said, I think your proposed last name is fine.

Maybe Verne? It's similar to vert, and Jules Verne was also French, so...

I don't think there is a "too early", as long as you've got plenty of plot to go through afterwards. Heck, Cyrus is one of the first people you meet in Platinum.

Small hints here and there about the identity of the boss wouldn't hurt at all, as long as they don't reveal too much. What you could do was hiding the fact the character is the boss of Team Elegy when introduced and then reveal it in a later chapter.

Never too early, in my opinion. Actually, when it comes to love interests and villains, the earlier the better, I say!

Small hints here and there about the identity of the boss wouldn't hurt at all, as long as they don't reveal too much. What you could do was hiding the fact the character is the boss of Team Elegy when introduced and then reveal it in a later chapter.

I did refer to the boss back when Team Elegy first appeared, actually.

Posting for users benefit and discussion:

For over a year now, I had been working on a story similar to "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!". It will follow Blaine, who is my favourite Kanto Gym Leader, and detail his life. However, I recently cut out 20 chapters off of my plan for "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!", because I came to the realisation that the story didn't need to go any further, and the main plot was going to be resolved by §50.

Because of that, I've been thinking about Blaine's story, which will either be called "The Hotheaded Quiz Master!" or "Firestorm", leaning towards the former. Because of Blaine's age, I could easily write the multiple arcs I have planned for him. So my main question is: Should I?

The fact that "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!" had a consistent main plot with sub-plots interjecting amongst it is a format that I like, but should I follow that same format for "The Hotheaded Quiz Master!" or not? Do you have any suggestions for the story?

And my final question: I've been excited about the story, so should I start it now, or wait for the "The Barefoot, Fighting Genius!" to end? They'll both be set in the same universe, and the fact that both of them are fairly long projects is deterring. All my other stories are fairly short in comparison, which is why I'm fine with starting multiple of them.

If Brock uses 99 Bottles of Beer, the audience sings along as he (almost) shoots an arrow onstage, if he uses "There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea", he'll use his guitar (and sing the whole song)

@NoirGrimoir: It's in any good book/site of Boy Scout/Girl Scout campfire songs (and several different versions)

I find it weird that I was a girl scout and have never heard of it. Our troop like never went camping though, because it was run by a bunch of old ladies...

Well, either one sounds good to me. I think "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts," would be funny, too.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom