• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions, Simple (Or Not) Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry, I'm sure that this question has been asked before.

But I am not going to dig through 405 pages just to find it.

Let's say I have...a Luxray. With 280 Attack and 180 Special Attack. What would be a better move for it to know? Spark or Thunderbolt? I ask because the Physical/Special split has screwed me over before, and I want to know for sure what I'm doing.

Again, sorry if a question like this has already been answered.

I would go with spark because it's a physical move and your luxray is clearly more physically inclined

Dunno if this is the right place, but...
My Platinum game freezes... At least once a day, sometimes multiple times at random moments. Is my game corrupting? I bought it on the release day. I should mention that the Ds freezes when loading up. (The first screen visible before the touch screen options) Should I be concerned?

Let's say I have...a Luxray. With 280 Attack and 180 Special Attack. What would be a better move for it to know? Spark or Thunderbolt? I ask because the Physical/Special split has screwed me over before, and I want to know for sure what I'm doing.

Assuming defenses and other damage factors are equal, you can compare the relative strength of moves by multiplying the attack stat by the power of the move. In this case, STAB would be canceled out and can be ignored.

Spark: 280 * 65 = 18200
Thunderbolt: 180 * 95 = 17100

Therefore, as Venom said, Spark is better.

How much does a pokemon's speed increase when it uses a move to increase that stat by one stage?

Thanks Venom & Cheesus. Glad to finally have at least a little bit of a grasp on the math of Physical/Special now.

@Meta Knight:
It seems like it's your DS that has the issues, not your Platinum card. Try it in another DS (if you can.) Does this happen when you play any of your other games?

speed is increased x 1.5

Okay, so then say you have a Speed stat of 100. If you were to calculate it up to the max (6), how would you calculate this?

100 -> 150/225/338(rounded)/506(rounded)/759(rounded)/1139(rounded)

or

100 -> 150 (100 x1.5)/200 (x2.0)/250 (x2.5)/300 (x3.0)/350 (x3.5)/400 (x4.0)

or something else I can't think of?

Okay, so then say you have a Speed stat of 100. If you were to calculate it up to the max (6), how would you calculate this?

100 -> 150/225/338(rounded)/506(rounded)/759(rounded)/1139(rounded)

or

100 -> 150 (x1.5)/200 (x2.0)/250 (x2.5)/300 (x3.0)/350 (x3.5)/400 (x4.0)

or something else I can't think of?
It's the latter--the original stat is multiplied by whatever the boost-level currently is. They don't apply to each other, like in the first example.

Is my DS fixable?

If you have a warranty (that hasn't expired) then take your DS in to the store where you bought it. If it's an unfixable problem, they usually replace it. When I first got my DS Lite I has issues with the screen glitching out. I brought it back and they were happy to replace it for me. Took three minutes.

It's the latter--the original stat is multiplied by whatever the boost-level currently is. They don't apply to each other, like in the first example.

'Kay, thanks. That would explain why it takes more than one one-level booster to get a Pokemon to be faster than another in battle; makes more sense than the first. I appreciate it.

Does a switched-out Pokemon only gain EVs if it's holding an Exp. Share? And if so, do the EVs get divided among the battling Pokemon, or does each Pokemon get the same number of EVs?

Does a switched-out Pokemon only gain EVs if it's holding an Exp. Share? And if so, do the EVs get divided among the battling Pokemon, or does each Pokemon get the same number of EVs?

Could've sworn this one was asked before...

Anyway, the Pokemon that's holding the Exp. Share doesn't have to be in the battle for it to gain EVs. It gets the same EVs as the Pokemon who beat the opponent. (could someone elaborate on this?)

It gets the same EVs as the Pokemon who beat the opponent. (could someone elaborate on this?)

It gets the same base EVs of the Pokémon which was defeated. For example, say you have a Raichu against a Staraptor, with a Machoke on your party with a Exp. Share attached and it doesn't participate in the battle; Raichu knocks out Staraptor and Machoke earns +3 EVs in Attack aside from the EXP Points.

In the case the Pokémon which is holding Exp. Share has also Pokérus, it receives double the quantity of base EVs. In the above example, if the Machoke is infected, it'll get +6 EVs in Attack.

Could've sworn this one was asked before...

Considering how long this thread is, I'm sure that alot of the questions popping up on here have already been asked and answered several times over. That said, I doubt anyone has the time or the inclination to sift through 400+ pages of posts searching for answers to questions that may not even be -but probably are- here.

Anyways, thanks to both you and RudolphMilotic for answering my question.

I have a question about the GBA-insertion method of encountering pokemon in D,P, and Pt. My question is this. To use the GBA-insertion method, do you need to have a save file on the cartridge that's being inserted? Or would a blank cartridge with no save file still work. I know it sounds random, but I thought about it the other day and now I'm quite curious!

(could someone elaborate on this?)

Basically, if a pokemon defeats a wild pokemon/in-game trainer, and another pokemon in that teams party is holding an exp share, the EVs are divided in half. Honestly i dont know what happens if you get 1 EV. My guess is that it's rounded back to 1 after its divided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom