• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM142: Burn! Swell Up!! Full Battle!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, you’re right. Then I’ll choose...Oshawott.

Except even Oshawott started to take his battles more seriously as the series progressed. Not to mention that, unlike Rowlet, it had episodes where it actively trained prior to the series' final stretch, since it took Oshawott 15/28/32 episodes to have some serious (depending on which of those episodes one would consider as proper training), while it took Rowlet 93 episodes! to start training more seriously and improve its battling abilities.

My problem with Rowlet is that like with Oshawott, they are too comedic to be taken seriously

I don't mind a bit of comedy from a Pokemon if it is also a passionate and competent battler

Gible wasn't too bad

Never really like the “it could have been worse” argument for things as if it invalidates how bad something actually is/was. At the end of the day, Rowlet was handled badly. It existed for the sake of a gag that got old fast and the vast majority of its feats were basically asspulls given its lack of motivation and development. I love the Rowlet line but I can’t stand Ash’s and feel that it represents a major failing as a trainer on Ash’s part.
I don’t think rowlet was handled badly. I think it’s battle against Hau was, but other than that it’s been handled pretty well. And besides, other than vs Decidueye what other feats were “asspulls”? It legitimately defeated all its other opponents. I could maybe see against Ryuki but even then Pokémon learning new moves during battles isn’t anything new.

I don’t think rowlet was handled badly. I think it’s battle against Hau was, but other than that it’s been handled pretty well. And besides, other than vs Decidueye what other feats were “asspulls”? It legitimately defeated all its other opponents. I could maybe see against Ryuki but even then Pokémon learning new moves during battles isn’t anything new.
Rowlet is a Pokémon who has basically been characterized throughout this saga as being lazy and unmotivated to really do much other than sleeping to the degree that it begs the question, where exact does it get stronger from? Ash surely doesn’t ever train it and it doesn’t train on its own like Torrocat and Lycanrock were shown to do. As a result, you really can’t expect me to believe by any stretch of logic that it would be getting stronger yet the writers just hand it victory after victory. When it comes to Ash’s other Pokémon, you can see it as their training paying off, yet Rowlet is just allowed to stand anywhere near their level while putting in none of the effort. That in and of itself is not only bad writing and an asspull, it’s a terrible lesson in saying that you can put in the smallest amount of effort yet still reap all the rewards while never suffering repercussions for it.

Rowlet is a Pokémon who has basically been characterized throughout this saga as being lazy and unmotivated to really do much other than sleeping to the degree that it begs the question, where exact does it get stronger from? Ash surely doesn’t ever train it and it doesn’t train on its own like Torrocat and Lycanrock were shown to do. As a result, you really can’t expect me to believe by any stretch of logic that it would be getting stronger yet the writers just hand it victory after victory. When it comes to Ash’s other Pokémon, you can see it as their training paying off, yet Rowlet is just allowed to stand anywhere near their level while putting in none of the effort. That in and of itself is not only bad writing and an asspull, it’s a terrible lesson in saying that you can put in the smallest amount of effort yet still reap all the rewards while never suffering repercussions for it.
Guess we can just agree to disagree. Though I will say, one thing I like about this forum is seeing others opinions whether I agree or not, it’s cool to see what others think and their reasoning behind it. I respect your opinion and can see where you’re coming from. I guess my love for the rowlet line is just too great for me to not like it in the anime.

So Rowlet will play ping-pong? He will faint against Venasaur and Terracat will defeat it.

Knowing that the battle is a four parter, it will be interesting to see who gets defeated this episode
Judging by the details we have so far, it'll be down to Naganadel, Pikachu and Torracat against Incineroar and Lucario. Kind of mirrors Ash v. Paul when Ash had Gliscor, Pikachu and Infernape against Drapion and Electivire.

I just hope the Tapu Koko battle is a separate entity.

Wait, how did we get the idea that Pikachu's rematch with Tapu Koko is a part of this battle?

Well for one thing, the VA list for the next episode (Torracat vs Incineroar) shows Tapu Koko, so I can't imagine why it would be in the list, if it wasn't heavily implied that Tapu Koko isn't Kukui's 6th Pokemon or the 6th Pokemon he uses, not necessarily his own Pokemon, though if that's the case, it would be a shame to not see his actual 6th Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom