• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So close, but yet so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz-the-Gliscor

I'm unbeatable!!
Reaction score
I am typing this in a rather upset mood. My local gamestation were holding an offer that I could get HeartGold or SoulSilver for £15 if I traded in a select few DS games. I saved £15 but thought about my trading in of the DS game (MarioKart DS). My mum and dad have had quite negative attitudes to trade ins in the past so I thought it was best not to tell them about the trade in part (instead pretending it was a special preorder offer). I bought the game yesterday and went home with it, managed to squeeze in about 2 hours of play before my mum and dad called me downstairs. They asked to see the receipt (which I threw away). I then told them about the Trade in and they got upset with me because I lied to them. Now, they are going to phone up gamestation and ask about this offer, and if it isn't true, then they will personally remove every piece of entertainment I own from my bedroom. Not to mention, they wont let me play the game AND I'm grounded. I feel really depressed, not so much the game, but because I upset my mum and dad so badly and now I have nothing. What do I do?

Wow. Your parents need to chill out.

If they're your games, then why do they care if you trade them in? It's actually a better deal. You're getting rid of something you don't use anymore in exchange for something that you will use.

I guess just tell them that you're sorry for going behind their back, and that you only did it because you thought it would be a better deal.

Wow. Your parents need to chill out.

If they're your games, then why do they care if you trade them in? It's actually a better deal. You're getting rid of something you don't use anymore in exchange for something that you will use.

I guess just tell them that you're sorry for going behind their back, and that you only did it because you thought it would be a better deal.

They call it stealing from them as the game in question was a Christmas present from a few years back. Since I didn't run it through them, they consider it stealing from them.

I am typing this in a rather upset mood. My local gamestation were holding an offer that I could get HeartGold or SoulSilver for £15 if I traded in a select few DS games. I saved £15 but thought about my trading in of the DS game (MarioKart DS). My mum and dad have had quite negative attitudes to trade ins in the past so I thought it was best not to tell them about the trade in part (instead pretending it was a special preorder offer). I bought the game yesterday and went home with it, managed to squeeze in about 2 hours of play before my mum and dad called me downstairs. They asked to see the receipt (which I threw away). I then told them about the Trade in and they got upset with me because I lied to them. Now, they are going to phone up gamestation and ask about this offer, and if it isn't true, then they will personally remove every piece of entertainment I own from my bedroom. Not to mention, they wont let me play the game AND I'm grounded. I feel really depressed, not so much the game, but because I upset my mum and dad so badly and now I have nothing. What do I do?
If this stuff is owned by you and paid for mostly by you that is theft, if this is the case... make a threat that you will contact the police if they even touch any of it and if they do follow it up. Ring the police and accuse them of theft, false & unreasonable imprisonment & minor abuse of yourself.

I think calling the police is a step too far..
Just try and reason with them, like 1998 said, they are technically your 'old' games that you traded in for something you preferred. Also, explain that it is still a really good deal to get such a new game for so cheap.

I see you're upset- but this should be a blog. Not a topic. It has nearly nothing to do with HeartGold and/or SoulSilver. It really shouldn't be in the HG/SS forum- the forum is about information, help, and discussion about the games- not about your parents getting angry over such and such.

You should have just told your parents about the deal first, and if they kicked off, said they were your games, and you can do what you want with them (how old are you? If you're over fourteen, that should work).

I see you're upset- but this should be a blog. Not a topic. It has nearly nothing to do with HeartGold and/or SoulSilver. It really shouldn't be in the HG/SS forum- the forum is about information, help, and discussion about the games- not about your parents getting angry over such and such.

You should have just told your parents about the deal first, and if they kicked off, said they were your games, and you can do what you want with them (how old are you? If you're over fourteen, that should work).

I'm not one for blog writing you see, and I'm 16 next week.

If you are 16 next week, then it's really your own decision as to what you do and don't do.

I doubt that personally, yes it has blog elements to it but is about the games' and I'm sure with how bad parenting is right now, it's something allot of people will be dealing with right now. So I would advise, 'we' make this thread into the official:

"My parents are stealing my Pokémon stuff thread" / What should I do?

Then move it to an area it fits in.

I think calling the police is a step too far..
Just try and reason with them, like 1998 said, they are technically your 'old' games that you traded in for something you preferred. Also, explain that it is still a really good deal to get such a new game for so cheap.
Maybe it is, but if the stuff is stolen and never returned it certainly isn't at all, just because they are family doesn't mean you ignore what they do. These games are very expensive right now, especially due to the recession this cannot be tolerated it's childish of the parent to take such steps.

Last edited:
I'm not one for blog writing you see

That's great, however, this kind of topic shouldn't be posted in this forum, as said it hasn't got anything really to do with HeartGold or SoulSilver.

If you don't like blogs, you should have put it somewhere like the Social Forum, click here to go there, seeing as... yeah. What exactly HAS this topic got to do with HeartGold/SoulSilver other than you brought it and might not be able to play it?

Not trying to be mean, just saying.

Basically what people have said already. Tell them that you're sorry you lied, but you did it because you didn't want to upset them. And even if they think you made a bad call on trading something in, it was your mistake to make.

Just out of curiosity, though, why are they against trading games in? A specific incident, or just a general attitude?

If you are 16 next week, then it's really your own decision as to what you do and don't do.

not exactly. At the age of sixteen you are still a child and still under your parents rule.

not exactly. At the age of sixteen you are still a child and still under your parents rule.

Yeah, but in terms of buying and selling games.. You are entitled to some responsibility.

Erm...wow.

If you knew your parents would act this way, I can see why you'd want to hide it from them. But why do they hate Trade-Ins so much? To me though, it seems like the main problem isn't the trade-in itself, it's the fact that you lied to them. With that, I can't help you, as you did. Their reaction however...wow. You could try and say that the reason you didn't tell them is that you didn't want to worry them, as you know they've had doubts about trade-ins in the past, and that you didn't want to have to ask them for money (if money's tight in your family, use that too), but say that the reason you did so without telling them is that you're beginning to realise you are not a boy any more, and that you wanted to try and stand on your own two feet for once, even if it's for something as trivial as buying a video game.

If that doesn't work. As you said, you're almost 16, you should put your foot down and say that the MarioKart DS was brought for YOU and GIVEN to YOU, therefore it is technically yours and you can do what you want with it. Explain to them calmly that you were very grateful for the original gift, however, over-time, as you played the game for months on end the enjoyment factor decreased, and rather than have it lying in your room remaining unplayed and gathering dust, you decided to give someone who hadn't had a chance to play it yet the chance to, and that by using the MKDS as a trade-in to get the newer games means that the newer games can also be considered a partial gift from them. It's like if someone buys you a top, that after a while, it either doesn't fit, or just doesn't suit you any more, you ask for the receipt so you can exchange it for something else (I bet your Mum has done that on occasion).

Besides, what are they going to do? Gamestation most likely won't accept a return-exchange, which wouldn't benefit anyone, because you obviously don't play MKDS any more and as HG/SS are recently released, there won't be demand for second-hand copies, and surely your parents must know that it will just make you resent them, which will make you less likely to inform them about such things in the future, or to even obey them?

18 is the age at which you can start saying "Whatever, I do what I want!" to your parents. 16/17 might have some responisbilities, but are still under the rule of the parent.

only if allowed.

But when has obeying to conformity always been a good thing? If it carries on until this age, it is over-protection on the parent's part. Obviously, you wouldn't trust your 16 year old with a huge responsibility like looking after the house while you are away, but any good parent should know that there is a time when you have to loosen the grip. Especially in the mid-teens when all the hormonal changes in the body begin to run wild, and if they are constantly restrained, they will get a huge desire to break out, and when that finally happens, it will most likely be bigger than simply trading in a game.

For example, throughout my teen years my Mum has given me and my brothers some freedom. Sure, we're not free to roam as we do still have rules. A relevant example is how this morning my older brother announced that he was going to sell his amplifier to get a smaller, more portable one. You could clearly tell my Mum didn't agree, but she simply said that it's his amp, he does what he wants with it. Me and my older brother are relatively calm, and as a result of being able to make our own choices, we have become more educated about certain things. This freedom she's given us comes from how strict my Nana and Grandpa were with the upbringing of her, my aunt and my uncle. For example, my Mum was offered a management position in a store, but my Grandpa forced my Mum to turn the offer down and continue in education. For her whole life she's constantly regretted how controlling my Grandparents were, and it's still going on now, when she's 46.

Conversely, I know people who have pretty strict parents. Now, they're rarely good behaved outside of their parents eyes. They drink, sleep around, NEVER do their homework or coursework; The typical teenage caboodle.

Exactly, some liberties can only benefit teenagers, I know I was given responsibility from about 14, and it has given me a better relationship with my parents, as we are more equals (not entirely :p) than them ruling over me.

Sorry, this is more suited for a blog. Put it in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom