• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So, uh, how about that election?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that said, this does seem like a political ploy. simply, all this really does is throw presidential politics into the mix of an extreme controversy. it doesn't help that mccain is trying to postpone the debate.

I'm not entirely convinced this is a ploy (I give it 70/30 towards it being a ploy). McCain's the better debater. What does he gain by postponing? Brownie points for looking like he cares about the economy? Just...doesn't seem worth it. But maybe I'm missing something.

the general opinion in the punditocracy (take this with a grain of salt) is that McCain is worried that a strong performance in the foreign policy debate could get overwhelmed by financial news, dampening its effect.

It's not that big a jump from the rest of the campaign. I don't know, I don't buy into the whole "McCain = Bush" kind of thing. lol, to make a joke, he reminds me a lot more of Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars, lol. Kind-of in looks, but more so that it seems he is just doing anything and everything to get elected wither it is voting with Bush to look like he appeals to Republican, or get Palin as VP pick to look great with Women. He just seems like he's all for himself; so who knows what he's going to be in office. He's the biggest wild card of all, and I mean that in a bad way as I see him as either doing nothing at all, or doing his own personal agenda.

Yeah, I agree with Bell. He's not sticking to anything and he doesn't appear to have any real platform or goals of his own. He's just using the shotgun strategy - do everything and desperately hope that saying you're everything but doing so in a half-assed way will pay off more than claiming to specialize in a few key areas like Obama's doing with social services and the economy.

I'm not entirely convinced this is a ploy (I give it 70/30 towards it being a ploy). McCain's the better debater. What does he gain by postponing? Brownie points for looking like he cares about the economy? Just...doesn't seem worth it. But maybe I'm missing something.

McCain is not stupid, he know's he has two things to worry about. One, Obama is a far better speaker than he is, and two, the economy will most likely overshadow this debate, whether or not he does good. He's playing it safe, which politically, is a great move. He knows that if Obama does his homework and adds his experience and what he knows from being on both the foreign and international boards in the senate, that there is a good chance he could lose the debate. On that note he wants to make sure he's as prepared as possible. He also knows that if he does manage to pull out a win, it will most likely go unseen due to the status of the economy. Remember, next to the war, the economy is the most important agenda to deal with for the next president, and is one of the things we Americans care about most. For that, more people will be so focused on what's happening with the economy, that they won't care about the debate. Therefore, it is a ploy, and not a bad one at that.

Useless tactic. Even if the Vice Presidential Debate took place on November 3rd, Sarah Palin wouldn't be ready. Does anyone honestly think that a newbie Alaskan Governor can match up against a 35-year veteran Senator? Biden is going to eat her.

~That's what she said.

Anyways, maybe the strategy is to bump the Debates all close together so if he wins one, he can carry the momentum over and over, strangling the other candidate.

McCain should have played this gambit further away from the debates if he wanted it to be successful. All this does now is make him appear to be afraid to debate.

This is quite an interesting election.

Obama did the one thing he could have done to win this gamble by McCain. He said he'll be there if called and kept his word but didn't shut down his campaign showing he can handle more than one thing at once. A president can't call time on one thing when something else comes up and Obama was able to take the opportunity to look is more ready to be president.

This is also McCain's three stunt in less than a month. People are starting to see the trend that when McCain starts slumping in the polls he'll do something drastic to get the news focused on him.

In my opinion Obama's the one looking bad here: McCain's gone back to go do his job as a senator, focusing on something far more important than winning an election. Obama and Biden are not, focusing on politics rather than important matters.

McCain isn't afraid of debates. He shouldn't be afraid of Obama debating, anyways. Obama did shit-poor in the Saddleback forum. Obama has gotten where he is purely on his charisma alone (And the fact that the media is running his campaign for him). He doesn't handle debates or tough questions very well (His interview with Bill O' Reilly, for example) Unless they give the answers to him beforehand.

I don't get why people have taken McCain's "The fundamentals of the economy are strong" so badly out of context. He is right: the fundamentals, the workers and the manufacturing side of the economy are strong. The financials are what's in the crapper. I watched that speech, andf he said everything I just said.

Neither McCain nor Obama are members of the Banking Committee which is in charge of this. Obama understood this and wasn't going to waste his time sitting around doing nothing. So he continued doing what he was doing but was ready when needed. This is a DEMOCRACY and we have a 100 person senate for a reason. McCain, Obama, and Biden had nothing vital to add and would have probably gotten more in the way. Obama probably showed more leadership by not interfering.

McCain is afraid of the debates. Saddleback was a farce. The audience was stacked in his favor and he was listening as he came in. But now he has to be in the same room with Obama with a neutral moderator and audience (an alien environment for him). There he explain why we should continue what we're doing despite American sentiment (and common sense) while not losing his temper. And that's not even getting into them lower the Barracuda in the shark tank for the VP debate.

And here's a news flash. American workers are in trouble.
1. They're not working.
2. Their cost of living is going up while their wages are going down.
3. It's getting harder for them to stay healthy and educate their kids.
Need I go on?

And American manufacturing is quickly becoming an oxymoron.

Arcane Mind said:
In my opinion Obama's the one looking bad here: McCain's gone back to go do his job as a senator, focusing on something far more important than winning an election. Obama and Biden are not, focusing on politics rather than important matters.

Despite the fact that they've ALL been politicking as usual since this became issue #1? Couldn't he have called a halt sooner? Why THAT DAY?

Though...what's he going to do now that Congress has approved a plan?

I don't get why people have taken McCain's "The fundamentals of the economy are strong" so badly out of context. He is right: the fundamentals, the workers and the manufacturing side of the economy are strong.

It wasn't taken out of context. "Fundamentals" could have been referring to any number of things. People took it in the context every other politician was speaking in.

He doesn't handle debates or tough questions very well (His interview with Bill O' Reilly, for example) Unless they give the answers to him beforehand.

Seen how McCain handled himself on the View?

McCain has influence in the Senate. Obama has very little. That's one reason, I think, that he isn't showing up.

I can also say that the recent forum that they attended was also a farce: University professors are far too often heavily left-wing, and tend to influence students into thinking the same way.

1. I'm working. And I have a secure job. Plenty of people out where I live are working.
2. Cost of living is going up because of oil. Why then, do we not produce our own, as well as other sources such as nuclear, natural gas, wind and solar, all at once?
3. A government run healthcare system is fail. I've some friends in Canada, where they have one, and they've told some pretty bad horror stories of dealing with it. Should America's be government run, the situation will go to the crapper faster than the financial market. As far as educating is, then they need to get rid of the NEA and the teacher's unions. You'll see the level of education improve a thousandfold.

The reason for manufacturing going down the tubes is because of rabid environmentalism preventing companies from working properly within the States.

EDIT: The View gave Obama a blowjob. I don't see how this is a good example.

I don't get why people have taken McCain's "The fundamentals of the economy are strong" so badly out of context. He is right: the fundamentals, the workers and the manufacturing side of the economy are strong. The financials are what's in the crapper. I watched that speech, andf he said everything I just said.

Didn' the McCain campaign later say the reason for the poor economy was that Americans are lazy, and that hard work can magically make a failing economy better?

McCain cancelled an appearance with Letterman last night because he had to fly back to Washington. Canceling to go to Washington is one thing, but it turns out he lied and went to do a Katie Couric interview instead! Lettermen actually cut to the interview that was going on live during the taping of his show.

How is McCain going to explain this one?

McCain has influence in the Senate. Obama has very little. That's one reason, I think, that he isn't showing up.
Not with the people who were the problem. It was the right wing conservatives who were not on board to even discussing this. They hate McCain with a passion. And the banking committee did just fine without him. He wanted to jump in and grab glory.
I can also say that the recent forum that they attended was also a farce: University professors are far too often heavily left-wing, and tend to influence students into thinking the same way.
At least they were talking about issues that will have more impact on my life than when life begins.
1. I'm working. And I have a secure job. Plenty of people out where I live are working.
And where do you live? I live in Michigan where a lot of people aren't working, under employed, or have been forced into a lower paying job.
2. Cost of living is going up because of oil. Why then, do we not produce our own, as well as other sources such as nuclear, natural gas, wind and solar, all at once?
How about we don't waste our money on oil and concentrate on renewable sources like we should have been for the last 30 years.
3. A government run healthcare system is fail. I've some friends in Canada, where they have one, and they've told some pretty bad horror stories of dealing with it. Should America's be government run, the situation will go to the crapper faster than the financial market. As far as educating is, then they need to get rid of the NEA and the teacher's unions. You'll see the level of education improve a thousandfold.
YES!!! Let's deregulate healthcare and education. We've seen what wonders it's done for the markets. Deregulation/privatization=fail every single solitary time.
The reason for manufacturing going down the tubes is because of rabid environmentalism preventing companies from working properly within the States.
You mean they should be allowed to pollute our environment and our bodies and shouldn't ensure our safety in the workplace?
And Bill O. doesn't give McCain a blowjob every time he comes on his show?

Arcane Mind said:

Phones don't work on the Straight Talk Air?

We ARE producing oil. Extending drilling rights to new areas won't magically make gas prices fall (especially since the oil companies aren't drilling everywhere they could NOW. I've seen proof of this in my own neighborhood, where there's currently a mini-bidding war for the rights to the oil underneath my neighborhood. I get oil companies calling almost daily).

Nuclear has its own problems (toxic waste, anyone?). Natural gas is a stall tactic (but, admittedly, a workable one). Wind's actually fairly lucrative right now (from the constant stories I run across, including an interesting new invention by the Dutch that would drastically improve the effectiveness of wind power). And solar's...still thought of as a fairy tale (at least around here. Of course...this is oil country).

Yeah...that must be it... Damned environmentalists. What with their...minimal influence. Hell, the EPA won't even listen to them (what? There's rocket fuel in the water supply? It's good for you. Drink up). Why would anyone else? And their massive influence must be why we joined the Kyoto Protocol. Right?

Yeah. Because Fox News. Fair. Balanced. How could I have forgotten that? It's their slogan. It must be true...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom