• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Something I found a while back...

*species

I don't think that Rhydon and the nidos evolved from a similar ancestor. The fact that a lot of the nidos' line involves poison and there's no indication of any sort of poison in the rhyhorn line, it seems odd that they would be evolutionarily related.

The Nidos used poison to defend themselve, so they became adapted to it, while Rhydon prefered to harden it's skin instead, so it became a rock type.

Of course, with this theory, you have to remember that the first 151 were designed by on person. It may just be his art style that makes them looks similar, but perhaps Sugimori had a reason for making them look similar. He could have based the Nidos and Lapras off of Rhydon's design, since it was the first Pokemon created.

Hm. Pretty neat. Although, I think the Lapras part is a stretch , but thats just me.

I dunno... Why would Lapras be related to The Nido's and Rhydon?
To be honest I think it's just a coincidence.
Any way, it's not like this is the first related Pokemon idea;
Cubone being the baby in Kangaskhans pouch,
Clefable and Gengar being related some way,
Metapod originally intended to evolve into Venomoth, Venonat to Butterfree.

But in this instance, I think there might be something with the Nido's and the Rhydons, but not Lapras.

Hm. Pretty neat. Although, I think the Lapras part is a stretch , but thats just me.

Not to be rude or anything, but:

Anyway, I've decided that Lapras is too different from the others (It can learn Sheer Cold, the mouth shape isn't similar to Nidoqueen's that much, and the typing/weakness thing).

The Nidos used poison to defend themselve, so they became adapted to it, while Rhydon prefered to harden it's skin instead, so it became a rock type.

???
That makes no sense.

Where did they get the poison?

Want to know some more?

The Nidos, Lapras and Rydhon can all learn Surf. Even in gen1.

The Nidos and Rydhon are the only gen1 Pokemon that are not Dragon, Normal, Water or Mew that can learn it, and they are also the only one, as of gen1, that can learn it and are weak to it.

I've just thought of another connection.

Both nidos and Rhydon are all used by Giovanni at some point in the series.And you can get Lapras right before you battle him at Silph co.Coincidence?I don't think so.

I don't really know about this theory. They definitely have similar styles, but that doesn't really mean anything to me. It could be that the artist just drew them similarly or that a single artist incorporated his methods/style. Also back then there wasn't a variety of styles as they do have now. Even personality-wise and trivia-wise, they are really different.

Want to know some more?

The Nidos, Lapras and Rydhon can all learn Surf. Even in gen1.

The Nidos and Rydhon are the only gen1 Pokemon that are not Dragon, Normal, Water or Mew that can learn it, and they are also the only one, as of gen1, that can learn it and are weak to it.
Whoah... I never noticed that before :goof:

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom