• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speechless- PG-13... Or something. Some adult themes, Violence, Language

Okay, I finally got it done! I was at my dad's for a week W/O access to continuing this, so that's the reason for the long wait. I think it came out okay, though.

I just noticed that I use “--“ to change scene and “…” to move forward time with the same people. Just thought I’d say.

Chapter Three

There was a huge wall in front of him. It was gray, and made of what loked like cinderblocks. Why it was there, he didn't know. But if he looked back, all there was was cliff, and endless pit. He didn't want endless pit.

So, James, a helpless, disorganized teenager, started climbing. He couldn't do anything else. He just had to progress. He saw, as he pulled himself up by the cracks in the cinderblock wall, that the cliff below him had dissapeared. If he fell, he was done. So he kept climbing. But then, right at the top, which was far away, but James could barely see, there was a person.

They said something, and then picked up a small rock. And they dropped it on James' head. It didn't hurt, but bounced against the wall and fell into the abyss. It was silent, as it had been before, but he didn't move.

Suddenly, all the blocks started falling, from the edges, slowly to the middle, where he was. Just in the middle of floating blocks, on a wall.

And then he fell. Down, and down, and down...
Down... His screams were silent, unheard. Just falling until he couldn't even see anymore. He got a glimpse of the things on the other side. Colorful things, anything he probably would ever need.

"GAH!!" James yelled. He attempted to sit up, but couldn't. His broken legs hurt. Really badly. The woman wasn't in the room. He still had his Pokemon. Not like it was useful at the moment. After struggling for a moment, he saw a note written on a napkin wravelled into his jumbled blanket.

Dear Captive,

I had to do a few things. I have broken your legs a second time, to make sure you wouldn't get up. Sorry to put you in pain. Make sure to keep yourself as in good shape as possible. There are a couple sandwhiches on your right side, on a paper plate, and if the pain's too much, the tranquilizer is on your left, on a similar stool.

Thanks,
That one woman that easily kidnapped you.

"Well, that was straightforward..." James mumbled to himself. He layed back, and thought about his dream. He liked figuring them out. He owned a few dream dictionaries that he used a lot. He started breaking it down.

"Hmm, I had to climb, and there was no turning back. That could mean that I can't go back to Lilycove, for the time being. Or ever, I dunno." He started talking to himself. "And then there was that person, so I might be stopped by a challenge. Then, all the bricks falling, could mean that I was losing my path, forgetting what to do. The place that I missed could be my goal, that I didn't get. And the falling, failing.

Not too happy-sounding. But then again, it wasn't that great a dream."

James sat for a bit, thoughtless. But then he wondered what people wanted him to do with broken bones. He couldn't walk and wasn't getting medical help. He didn't dare look at his legs. He looked over the bed on his right side, wincing at the pain. There were a couple of bologna sandwiches on a paper plate, as said. He wasn't hungry. He had a headache, and was wondering what would happened.

The things happening to him were very clichéd. He was taken by a super strong agent person, who said something about being for an agency, and hid him away in some shack. Really original.

Not that he could do anything about it.

So he would be stuck, sitting in a small shack, probably captured by some clichéd organization who want to take over the world. How wonderful, he thought again.

But for the time being, he could only sit any wonder. He didn’t dare take the Pokemon out.

His story couldn’t really progress, unless that person came back. And so, the story, at least for him, was over for now.

--

Ruby walked out of the stadium, and into a lounge where there were a few people at Pokeblock machines and others just sitting around. He sat down for a minute, and looked at the magazines on his side. He started looking on the bottom of it. He found an old issue of “Contests Monthly”. It had pages ripped out, was really smudged, and wasn’t really usable. He put it back down.

A reporter with blue hair came up to him followed by a cameraman. They quickly spoke.
“Could we get a quick rundown of how you feel by winning that contest?” They handed him a laminated list of words.

“What do I do with this?” He asked reluctantly. He hated how the media treated people, despite him living in a huge city a long time ago and getting used to it.

“Pick a word from it. Then tell us.” The reporter replied. Ruby looked down the list slowly.

“DEPRESSED”

“Oh! Thanks a lot!” The reporter snatched back the paper, smiling. “This’ll make a great news report!” They replied.

“Wait, what…?” Ruby asked, but they were already gone.

About ten minutes later, the TV blared on an “Important newscast”. It repeated the same scene that Ruby just went through. One child pulled on their dad’s jeans to say that they were on TV. Ruby really didn’t care. He leaned back in the seat behind him.

It’s not anything new, really, Ruby thought. I’ve already gotten master rank in every contest imaginable with all of my Pokemon. This is getting repetitive. I could move to Sinnoh to do this, but they only have a single area for it. No traveling for me… But then there’s Johto. But I think it would be awkward going back to Goldenrod. And I just don’t feel like Kanto. The next Grand Festival won’t be here for months…

I wonder what’s gonna happen, if anything, in that time…

Ruby stood up and walked out of the contest hall and into the crowd. Maybe spending some time at the art museum would do him good.

--

A man with dark brown hair, dirty shoes, and a lab coat that severely needed to be washed started speaking. There were a few tables and bookshelves around, and a huge machine on the middle-right of the one-room building. A few people also in white lab coats walked around, looking at pieces of paper and data, slowly progressing on the projects.
But he started speaking.

“Why, oh why, would you dress up as a person behind a bike shack, then kidnap the person I wanted to see, and then get him his first Pokemon from the Safari zone, and take him to some abandoned shack?”

A girl about 5 feet tall answered quietly.
“I-I… I don’t know.”

“Agh. I guess I gotta find my people myself,” The person in a lab coat said. “Run along, now. These trainers lately can’t be trusted.”

“But, Mr. Birch, I-“ The girl started again.

“First, I’m a professor. Second, you said you wanted Ruby. That came from nowhere. If someone was going to promise me a favor and do it incorrectly, I would imagine them sufficiently lying every once and a while, also. Please, go away for now. Just bring him here. If you do anything else, I won’t give you your Pokemon.” Professor Birch stood up from his chair, and beckoned the person out of the lab, reminding them again to get the person back without anymore problems.

He then went back to checking on the projects, and scheduling field work days in the near future.

--

“Ugh… This really is going to be a long week,” James muttered. He started going through his problems for at least the fiftieth time when the trap door on the side of the room opened and the woman from before came in.

“Get up. I screwed up majorly.” She said.

“Err, you sorta broke my legs. I can’/t move and may or may not feel like I’m about to die.”

“Oh, right!” She exclaimed. She pulled the white sheet off the show a very bruised and bent in the wrong way, legs. She pulled out a little bottle that contained green liquid that looked sticky. She opened it and started pouring it on James’s legs.

“What is that!?” James asked quickly, his pain in his legs going away. He really wondered.

“Full restore. Now get up!” She said. The stickiness disappeared and James felt fine, to his surprise.

“But I thought they only worked on Pokemon…” James said as he got up and glanced again at the woman. He wondered if she ever really took off that huge cloak.

“You thought wrong. Come with me.” She said, leading him through the trap door.

The ladder that they climbed down was wooden, and slightly rotten. Below them was a lit up cave system. They reached the ground, and the woman started running. James had to dash forward, which was hard carrying a suitcase, to catch up.

“Where are we?” He asked as they continued to run, taking turns every minute or so.

“The Hoenn underground. Right turn here.” They turned, and continued running. The place seemed to give off a weird energy, allowing faster running. James didn’t get tired.

“Okay, where are we going?”

“Littleroot town.”

“Why?”

“Okay, left turn here.” They turned, and the woman continued.

“I give up. I’m actually about 13 years old. I’m wearing really tall platform shoes. I mean, really tall. Professor Birch wanted to see you. All that I did to get you was actually supposed to be a knock on your door and an invite. I just felt a little too creative.”

“Yeah,” James replied. “A little too creative.”

James sighed. His legs felt lighter as they ran, weirdly. They were dashing at about 25 miles an hour with no problem. The walls glinted with shards of all kinds, and orbs sparkled as they were planted underground. They passed a metal door labeled “New Mauville” and a few more ladders, but continued.

“How far are we?” James asked.

“We’re around under Oldale. Only a few minutes away.

James wondered what Professor Birch wanted. He had heard of the guy, but had no idea about him other than he liked studying in fields. Eh, he would find out when he got there. He would maybe give that girl a bit of what it feels like getting your legs broken. Using a Rhyhorn. Maybe.

*Sigh of relief*
I thought I wouldn't get a review! Thanks. Everything looks a bit awkward in this next chapter, because I was going to make that person be in some huge cliché team Rocket reincarnation (Again). But then, I noticed that the name of this fanfic would become irrelivant.
So, err, I'll edit this post with the next chapter really soon.

Re-edit: I just wanted to regularly post it. Thanks, though, SilverSoul.

Last edited:
Edit:

And now, Chapter Four.
Also, I’m planning on making fun of a lot of the game mechanics, like how you can’t climb the two-foot ledges.
Oh, and as a side note, ignore any feeling that this chapter may relate to the Little Mermaid. Any reason that you feel that way, if you do, is unintentional.

And as a final sidenote, please feel free to tell me if something is wrong in this fanfic. If I'm in a bad mood, I'll probably break it down and give an explanation to it as a whole. I don't usually do that, though. That's only when I'm in a really bad mood. Usually, I rejoyce at the sight of a comment.
Okay, I lied. Another thing. Am I making these chapters too short? I just feel like they are...

Chapter Four

Traveling through a “Hoenn Underground” was a different experience for James. He had never been in a place like it. It was beautiful, despite it being a cave and such.

“We’re there.” She said, slowing down a bit. There was no ladder, and ther were no walls in front of them. She jumped, surprisingly high, and didn’t come back down. Looking up, James could see another hole, with her waiting for him to come up. James attempted to jump, but he didn’t get anywhere, as would anyone else. She let down a ladder, which was matching to the others. It clanked against the ground, and James climbed up, coming into a also similar shack.

“What’s with the-“ James started, being quickly interrupted.
“Most of the entrances to the underground are extremely secret, and almost all are matching. Only, at most, twenty people know about it. It’s very convenient. And when you get used to the atmosphere down there, you can jump higher, along with moving faster. Now then, we just walk outside and through a few trees and we’re at Littleroot. But for now, leave the room. I have to chance. This outfit makes me feel ridiculous.”

James laughed a little, before walking into a small wooded area. The outside of the shack almost perfectly blended in with the trees. He waited for a while. He was surprised as a brown-haired girl that was much shorter than him came out.

“Yeah, I know. All you need is some make-up, a cloak, a wig, and really tall shoes. I like being original.” She said before James could reply.

“Fine enough…” James said, starting to walk toward the open route.

As they came out, James saw the familiar sight of Zigzagoon and Poochyena scuttling around in the grass. Well, to James, it was just the Zigzagoon. Usually, there were no Poochyena near James’s area. Littleroot was only a minute away, as it was in plain sight.

“So, Professor Birch?” James asked.

“That way.” The girl pointed toward a long building, and they started walking toward it.

There wasn’t really much in the town. It made James feel weird. He was used to the bustling streets of Lilycove. Nevertheless, they reached the entrance to the lab and walked in.

The lab, despite being longer on the outside, seemed to only go forward. Professor Birch, who was patiently waiting on the other side, came over to them.

“So, you’re James?” He asked.

“Err, yeah. How do you know my name?” James replied.

“Eh, I guessed.”

“Oh, how convenient.” James replied.

“Anyway,” Birch continued, “I want you to do something for me.”

“Yes? I don’t like people stopping for no reason.” James replied. Birch ignored him.

“I want you to fill out this.” He handed him a little box. It was red, and flipped open. A little voice came from inside.
Pokedex, a Pokemon Encyclopedia. Ready for scanning.

“Seriously?” James asked.

“Yes. But there are a few other things. Along the way throughout the region, there are gyms. I want you to train your Pokemon and collect their badges. And maybe, eventually challenge the Pokemon League.”

“Oh really?” James asked. “Why would you pick me?”

“Because, of all people I had look around for a good trainer, you were the one with the most potential. Remember that substitute you had?”

“Yeah.”

“He was an analyst. Checking to see if anyone in that class would work for the job.”

James thought hard about what had been told to him. He was supposed to go on a trip around Hoenn and collect gym badges like nothing.

“Is there anything else?” James asked.

“Oh, almost forgot.” Birch replied. “Have you heard of those trainers lately that don’t speak? They’ve been winning against even the Elite four! The Professors that help beginners as a whole in each region, they are the ones who took the voice from those people. It makes the people think instead of just yelling out commands. They figure out special signs between their Pokemon to get their attacks working.”

“Wait.” James stopped. “You wanna take my voice away?”

“Err, in a way, yes.” Birch replied, knowing he would reply in that way. “But you will get it back.”

“When?”

“When you’ve proven that you’re really, really good at training Pokemon. It’s kind of like training weights. If you get very good with a handicap on, imagine how well you would do unhindered!”

“Well, I guess there’s no turning back now… Where do I start?”

“Fill up your Backpack with all of these things plus that briefcase.”

James was handed five Pokeballs, a potion, a berry bag, a TM pocket, Oran berry, an antidote, and a little black box.

“What’s this box do?” James asked, staring at it. It didn’t open, or really do anything.

“Clip it to the front. Along with showing at a glance that you’re a trainer, it extremely expands yourbag space. You could fit all of those things and a Bicycle in the bag.”

“Oh.” James replied. He clipped the extentions onto his bag and put everything into it. Surprisingly, it still felt light.

“And how are you planning to take my voice?” James asked.

“Follow me.” Birch said, leading James to a small machine on a table. It was blue and green. There was a small wire sitting on the table that was attached to it.

“Wait here.” Birch said, going to the other girl that had brought him there.

“Here’s your Pokemon. Despite the unnecessary things you did to James first, he is here unharmed.” He handed a Pokeball to the girl, and she giddily walked out without saying the slightest thanks. Birch returned to James.

“Are you ready?”

James nodded, and put the small wire to his throat. Suddenly, he felt as if a part of his brain was being sucked out. It went by soon enough, and he dropped the small wire, staring at Professor Birch. He was going to ask him plenty of questions, but found that he couldn’t say anything.

“Now, take his Pokemon. It’s one of my last, and I doubt what you have will be enough for now.” James was handed a Pokeball, which had a green sticker on it.

“That is all. The first gym is in Petalburg. Unless you want to challenge someone else first. Do as you will.”

James stood there, staring at his Pokeball.

Well, it all starts here. I can’t speak, I’ve got a Pokedex, two Pokemon, and any gear I might need. Only one way to go now. Forward. I have to give it my all until I beat the Pokemon league! This is a huge change In perspective, but standing around doesn’t get you anywhere.

James nodded to Professor Birch, who smiled back, and left. It was going to take a while.

Outside, the sky was clear blue. Probably a day had passed since he was taken there. After wondering where the girl went, he decided to take a look at his new Pokedex.

Upon opening, there was a small pad area to scroll with, and numbers one through 493. He had heard that it was hard to get a "National Pokedex", as he was just given a moment ago, so Professor Birch probably really trusted him.
The Pokedex had a little note on the bottom-left of the screen that said "Seen: 2, Owned: 2"
After re-scrolloing through the list, he found that he owned his Rhydon, and had seen it. It also said the same of a Pokemon called "Treecko". It must've been the Pokemon that Professor Birch gave him. On the two Pokemon, there was data on where they live, weight comparison and height comparison to himself and them, and even what sounds they made.

On another screen, data about James himself was labelled.
Name: James
Poké: 200
Time Pokedex has been Owned: 0:07
Badges owned: 0
Ribbons owned: 0

After he finished looking through the Small red device, James walked out onto the first route.

Trees seemed to be walls, blocking him in one path. Grass teeming with Pokemon seemed to be forced on hime from either side, forward blocked by a small ledge. James just easily climbed up the ledge. He wanted a decent rest more than anything, despite it being the middle of the day. But, he was stopped by a small child who was searching in the grass for Pokemon.

"We gotta battle because our eyes met!" He said enthusiastically. James rolled his eyes. He couldn't really deny, and hedidn't know what else to do, so he walked away before the kid could say anything else. He climbed up the next ledge and watched the kid wonder how he did.

It's wierd, how this world works, James thought contently, that I seem to be the only one with common sense.

He walked away, trying to figure out how he would make commands for his Pokemon. And he didn't feel out of place doing it, either.

Oooh good chapter meme. I really liked the Pokedex screen thingie at the end too. The characters, esp James seem really well thought out and your grammar and writing is good!

Thank you very much, Pokegal. I don't have much access to Anime or Manga, so I'm stuck with Youtube videos of battling in Anime, Bulbapedia, and taking everything from games.

If you want to read Special check out www.mangatraders.com and www.onemanga.com, they're both pretty good for it, they have the whole of the Hoenn arc anyway, they haven't got very far on the Sinnoh arc unfortunately.

Anyway, I really like this story but I'm starting to worry that it's heading in a bit of a generic direction after a really unique start? Well I shan't criticise what I THINK might happen, I'll wait for it to get shit before I call it shit - this is a really good fic.

Well, I already knew about the sites, and I don't plan on making it generic or anything, but is it possible that I could get a description of "Generic"?

Generic=Follows basic storyline of the games, i.e. Boy/Girl leave home, get badges/ribbons, and go to respective tournaments

OR

Really crappy shipping stories.

Yeah, I basically meant the first one of what Silver Soul said, I was worrying that it might be heading in the vague direction of becoming sort of generic. It's not something to be too worried about because even if it does become something really generic your tone is quite unique so it'll never become totally generic.

Just be aware that a badge quest can be quite boring (I know that's rich coming from me given that in a certain way of thinking my fic is just about as generic as you can get, what with being based precisely on the games but meh), you might want to make sure that you have something to distract from it too. I really liked where you were going with the story at first, it seemed really unique, but I'm sure wherever you decide to take it will be good.

Generic=1.Follows basic storyline of the games, i.e. 2. Boy/Girl leave home, 3. get badges/ribbons, and 4. go to respective tournaments

OR

5. Really crappy shipping stories.

1. Only sometimes.
2. Already done in way that was explained.
3. You don't know that yet.
4. (3)
5. No. Effing. Way.

It's not going to be completely game-focused, I promise. And if that's generic, the only thing following the games is that the protagonist meets the professor and is prompted to go on a quest of sorts. Sure, he attempts at badges, I'll give, but there will be much, much more to it than go, collect, challenge, win/lose league.

1. Only sometimes.
2. Already done in way that was explained.
3. You don't know that yet.
4. (3)
5. No. Effing. Way.

It's not going to be completely game-focused, I promise. And if that's generic, the only thing following the games is that the protagonist meets the professor and is prompted to go on a quest of sorts. Sure, he attempts at badges, I'll give, but there will be much, much more to it than go, collect, challenge, win/lose league.

Excellent, pleased to hear it, can't wait!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom