• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Splice

HikaruIzumi

Too cool for real life.
Reaction score
This is my very first splice (I haven't even tried splicing before I did this) so I'd like to get some feedback on it. Please, give me some advice on what to improve.

21cziap.png

the 9th tale in the front looks weird, did you sprite that in? it looks like it shouldnt be there..

the 9th tale in the front looks weird, did you sprite that in? it looks like it shouldnt be there..

If you mean the curly part then yeah, I added that. But not the whole tail. Maybe I could have made it smaller or the tail shorter.

EDIT: I made another one.
2ah5fg8.png

EDIT 2: And another one. I like this one a lot. It looks really natural.
dpx2lc.png

Last edited:
Oh WOW. that is really really nice! I am sorry, but i can't see anything you can do better.

You are very good for a beginner. Your sprites have your own look to them already. The splice with the ninetails as the base looks a bit off, but it is still one of the best very firsts I have seen.

the edit 2 splice is nice but one suggestion i have is putting some gradation on the horn, i don't think it should be completely white... it doesn't look realistic. ( relatively )

I confirm reshading the horn on the Lapras/Dragonair fusion, and also suggest you reshade the neck gem a bit (the lightest part of the shine is square. You want to round the corners a bit more. (You might also want to round the horn's bottom, since it looks squarish as well.)

For the Ninetails/Vulpix, the back tails need to curl a bit more, like Vulpix's tails do. And look carefully from the back tails to the ones in front, you should see that they don't look look the same length. You'd need to shorten the front tails and make the curl happen while the tail is thicker, like you did to the back tails, and probably redraw the exposed legs..

For the Purrloin/Tepig, the only thing that looks a little weird is the tail. The tail orb looks too far from the body for how thin it is, so you might want to re-do the coils, or maybe shorten it?

Over all, though, they're all VERY good. None of that lazy splicing, ugly resizing, forgetting to recolor outlines or recoloring outlines everywhere no matter the color patterns that I see far too often and cringe at. You have a firm grasp on the basics, and the rest will come as you gain more experience.

Thanks for your help. :-D I don't have much time for splicing now but I'll surely try to edit at least the Lapranair (since it's my fav splice) when I return to it.

I did the tail on the Purrpig (lol) that way intentionally since Purrloin is really thin and long (not to mention it's a cat and they have long tails). But I guess it could be a little closer.

I'm glad you like my splices so far. :-D I hope my future ones will be even better.

Where did you get such good sprites? Obviously Fan-made... we're still in Greyscale.

lol Yeah, the 1st of April... XD

btw these 2 were made long time ago but they are my most recent ones and I still wat to get feedback on them.

168j24n.png
(This one was a request so I have no clue what to call it.)

35jiigw.png
I call this Nidozard (creative, eh??). The wings seem to be a bit off to me.

Back
Top Bottom