• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS: Demo Datamine Discussion

Overall I'm not really disappointed. Here are my thoughts, wrapped for size:

• 72 new Pokémon (again): I'm not going to say, "I told you so," because I was almost on the receiving end of that myself, but I do feel like this affirms my thinking about how new waves of Pokémon will be handled from here on out. For the most part. Maybe we'll get another 100+ wave at some point, but I think it would be an exception in that case. All of which I am perfectly fine with; obviously I'm a big proponent of these reduced counts. I think it's a frugal, prudent approach. However...
  • Alola Forms: ... that belief comes with the caveat that they make up for the reduced number of Pokémon by recycling old ones in interesting ways. Mega Evolution was a decent starting point, and Alola Forms looked like an even better method, because they're more tangible, fundamental alterations. But if there's one part of this whole datamine that I am distinctly disappointed with, it's the Alola Forms. Only 10 evolutionary lines? And they seriously wasted time on something like Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio? Who thought that was in any way a good idea? Even if you limit things to Gen I, there are still a lot of Pokémon that can be changed in creative ways. But they missed out on so much potential here.
  • Alolan Golem: "Let's stick a giant taser on it!" Um, okay? Like, a Rock/Electric type (that's what I suspect it is, at least) would be cool, but surely there was a more intuitive way of going about it? Artleaka's Alolan Golem was better than this, and much more subtle and logical for the setting, although granted, we currently lack the lore on this one.
  • Alolan Persian: It's not in any way what I was expecting, but I actually don't hate this guy. It's kinda cute and doofy-looking. Standard Persian already has a malicious elegance to it, so I don't mind seeing a sillier version.
  • Alolan Dugtrio: What is this, still? When it first came up, my girlfriend and I both just sort of stared at the screen perplexedly for a good few minutes. Why is this even here? I mean, I'm all for gag Pokémon. I love Alolan Exeggutor and Alolan Raichu. But Alolan Exeggutor had a point to it, and it fit the setting, and it was actually quite witty. Alolan Raichu is a fun bit of fluff for a Pokémon whose line has historically been used as gimmick/gag characters. But Alolan Dugtrio is, and I hate to say this, just totally lazy, and not even all that funny as a gag character. That's seriously the best they could come up with? I don't want to tag them in here in case they're not one for spoilers, but a while back, the user Synthaphone came up with an Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio concept that I thought was completely brilliant. Here's the post. The official Alolan Dugtrio isn't even in the same galaxy. Argh. Regional variants are one of their best concepts ever, and Game Freak completely dropped the ball.
  • Ash-Pikachu: On a more positive note, I love Ash-Pikachu, probably more than I have any right to as somebody who has never really be interested in the anime outside of childhood and until recently. But giving it each of Ash's hats is very charming.
  • Evolutions for known Pokémon: I'm probably not as surprised by these as some others are. I didn't think Pyukumuku would evolve, and I didn't expect Drampa or Turtonator to have any evolutionary relatives. And for the ones we did get, I really like Salandit's, Morelull's, and especially Wimpod's evolutions. I didn't necessarily want Pikipek to be the toucan, although I did think it was a plausible outcome. I was expecting something much thinner, and with a rapier-like beak, but you know, I'm warming up to this, and I do like the toucan. So it wasn't what I expected, but as has (generally) been the case with this generation, it wasn't in a bad way. It's a pleasant surprise. I can't really picture this guy being Steel/Flying, however, although I never thought Pikipek would be. Oh, and Yetibrawler is odd, but knowing the concept behind it makes it work. I will admit that Komala being a standalone was a curveball. I had a thought that Minior wouldn't evolve, although I'm a bit surprised that Comfey didn't.
  • Newly-uncovered Pokémon: Crown-of-thorns starfish thing is cute, and then its evolution is neat. Looks defensive. Spider is weird, but I want to know more about it. Quite interested in the anchor. None of the Tapus are as cool as Koko, unfortunately, though I want to see them folded up before making a final judgment.
  • Starter Evolutions: Well, I already loved them, and therefore, I personally had no desire for split-forms or anything like that. I sympathize with anybody who isn't keen on them and was hoping for split-forms, though. Better luck next time, eh? (y)
  • Solgaleo/Lunala pre-evolutions: Well firstly, are they actually pre-evolutions? Kaphotics called them that, but I don't know how specifically he was speaking. He did say that the red Magearna was its "Special Poké Ball form," though, so does that mean that evolutions and forms are listed differently in the data? Nevertheless, if they are pre-evolutions, then cool. I figured it'd happen eventually. They've been giving the mascots "sealed" forms for two generations now (with the Dragon Stones in Gen V, and then the tree/cocoon in Gen VI as well as Zygarde's Cores and Cells), so I wonder what made them want to work them in as actual, discreet Pokémon in their own right? Assuming that they are, anyway. If they're actual forms, then I wonder how that will work. I had a thought that maybe Solgaleo will revert to its "sealed" form at nighttime, and Lunala will do the same during daytime. Kind of like Shaymin. But who knows. In any case, I don't have much to say about the designs. They're odd, which isn't necessarily a problem, but there's also not a lot else to them.
  • Marshadow: Pretty cute. Obviously it's asking to be given a form change of some kind. I can't really tell if it's meant to be connected to Solgaleo/Lunala, though.
  • Ultra Beasts: These are all extremely cool-looking. Exactly what I was hoping to see from the Ultra Beasts. But I don't want them to be Pokémon. I don't even want to be able to catch/use them. But it seems as though we can. Oh well, they're too amazing for me to mind that a whole lot. UB-Guzma is just fantastic.
  • Leak contradictions: The snowman was probably the yeti crab due to translation, and I'm guessing they mistook either Wishiwashi School Form or Brionne as a dolphin.

Last edited:
Ah sorry. Mind telling me how you put things behind spoilers?

Oh wait I just noticed it got put behind one already.

Spoilers are in the "insert" section (the plus sign after the film reel) of the toolbar. But you can always just link to the pic with text, too.

I'm not buying into the Solgaleo & Lunala have pre-evolutions theory just yet, but it would be something new for the series to try. The "Marshadow" is cute, though. Like many have guessed, I think it'll have another form.

Anyone else getting final-boss vibes from the Ultra Beast with black & yellow body with massive pincers?

Overall I'm not really disappointed. Here are my thoughts, wrapped for size:

• 72 new Pokémon (again): I'm not going to say, "I told you so," because I was almost on the receiving end of that myself, but I do feel like this affirms my thinking about how new waves of Pokémon will be handled from here on out. For the most part. Maybe we'll get another 100+ wave at some point, but I think it would be an exception in that case. All of which I am perfectly fine with; obviously I'm a big proponent of these reduced counts. I think it's a frugal, prudent approach. However...
  • Alola Forms: ... that belief comes with the caveat that they make up for the reduced number of Pokémon by recycling old ones in interesting ways. Mega Evolution was a decent starting point, and Alola Forms looked like an even better method, because they're more tangible, fundamental alterations. But if there's one part of this whole datamine that I am distinctly disappointed with, it's the Alola Forms. Only 10 evolutionary lines? And they seriously wasted time on something like Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio? Who thought that was in any way a good idea? Even if you limit things to Gen I, there are still a lot of Pokémon that can be changed in creative ways. But they missed out on so much potential here.
  • Alolan Golem: "Let's stick a giant taser on it!" Um, okay? Like, a Rock/Electric type (that's what I suspect it is, at least) would be cool, but surely there was a more intuitive way of going about it? Artleaka's Alolan Golem was better than this, and much more subtle and logical for the setting, although granted, we currently lack the lore on this one.
  • Alolan Persian: It's not in any way what I was expecting, but I actually don't hate this guy. It's kinda cute and doofy-looking. Standard Persian already has a malicious elegance to it, so I don't mind seeing a sillier version.
  • Alolan Dugtrio: What is this, still? When it first came up, my girlfriend and I both just sort of stared at the screen perplexedly for a good few minutes. Why is this even here? I mean, I'm all for gag Pokémon. I love Alolan Exeggutor and Alolan Raichu. But Alolan Exeggutor had a point to it, and it fit the setting, and it was actually quite witty. Alolan Raichu is a fun bit of fluff for a Pokémon whose line has historically been used as gimmick/gag characters. But Alolan Dugtrio is, and I hate to say this, just totally lazy, and not even all that funny as a gag character. That's seriously the best they could come up with? I don't want to tag them in here in case they're not one for spoilers, but a while back, the user Synthaphone came up with an Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio concept that I thought was completely brilliant. Here's the post. The official Alolan Dugtrio isn't even in the same galaxy. Argh. Regional variants are one of their best concepts ever, and Game Freak completely dropped the ball.
  • Ash-Pikachu: On a more positive note, I love Ash-Pikachu, probably more than I have any right to as somebody who has never really be interested in the anime outside of childhood and until recently. But giving it each of Ash's hats is very charming.
  • Evolutions for known Pokémon: I'm probably not as surprised by these as some others are. I didn't think Pyukumuku would evolve, and I didn't expect Drampa or Turtonator to have any evolutionary relatives. And for the ones we did get, I really like Salandit's, Morelull's, and especially Wimpod's evolutions. I didn't necessarily want Pikipek to be the toucan, although I did think it was a plausible outcome. I was expecting something much thinner, and with a rapier-like beak, but you know, I'm warming up to this, and I do like the toucan. So it wasn't what I expected, but as has (generally) been the case with this generation, it wasn't in a bad way. It's a pleasant surprise. I can't really picture this guy being Steel/Flying, however, although I never thought Pikipek would be. Oh, and Yetibrawler is odd, but knowing the concept behind it makes it work. I will admit that Komala being a standalone was a curveball.
  • Newly-uncovered Pokémon: Crown-of-thorns starfish thing is cute, and then its evolution is neat. Looks defensive. Spider is weird, but I want to know more about it. Quite interested in the anchor. None of the Tapus are as cool as Koko, unfortunately, though I want to see them folded up before making a final judgment.
  • Starter Evolutions: Well, I already loved them, and therefore, I personally had no desire for split-forms or anything like that. I sympathize with anybody who isn't keen on them and was hoping for split-forms, though. Better luck next time, eh? (y)
  • Solgaleo/Lunala pre-evolutions: Well firstly, are they actually pre-evolutions? Kaphotics called them that, but I don't know how specifically he was speaking. He did say that the red Magearna was its "Special Poké Ball form," though, so does that mean that evolutions and forms are listed differently in the data? Nevertheless, if they are pre-evolutions, then cool. I figured it'd happen eventually. They've been giving the mascots "sealed" forms for two generations now (with the Dragon Stones in Gen V, and then the tree/cocoon in Gen VI as well as Zygarde's Cores and Cells), so I wonder what made them want to work them in as actual, discreet Pokémon in their own right? Assuming that they are, anyway. If they're actual forms, then I wonder how that will work. I had a thought that maybe Solgaleo will revert to its "sealed" form at nighttime, and Lunala will do the same during daytime. Kind of like Shaymin. But who knows. In any case, I don't have much to say about the designs. They're odd, which isn't necessarily a problem, but there's also not a lot else to them.
  • Marshadow: Pretty cute. Obviously it's asking to be given a form change of some kind. I can't really tell if it's meant to be connected to Solgaleo/Lunala, though.
  • Ultra Beasts: These are all extremely cool-looking. Exactly what I was hoping to see from the Ultra Beasts. But I don't want them to be Pokémon. I don't even want to be able to catch/use them. But it seems as though we can. Oh well, they're too amazing for me to mind that a whole lot. UB-Guzma is just fantastic.
  • Leak contradictions: The snowman was probably the yeti crab due to translation, and I'm guessing they mistook either Wishiwashi School Form or Brionne as a dolphin.

You know, Yeti crab aside, what if the snowman was just alolan sandshrew? The leak did come a little before/after it and it's pretty much two circles like snowman tend to be.

Somebody could have just looked at it and went "that's a snowman!" or something.

Another gen without a non dragon psuedo it seems yay /s. So looks like my concern about the fairy type being an excuse Game Freak to give all the psuedos to dragon was vindicated.

Also fucking low dex counts

Whew, Gamefreak really came for every single fucking weave this time around.

Where the heck are the fire types? Dont get me wrong i'm not looking at pics just reading on them. I like being surprised by the reveal, but seriously ground/fire diglett or rock/fire golem would have been awesome, but as far as I can tell counting litten there is maybe 3 fire types. Sadness

Where the heck are the fire types? Dont get me wrong i'm not looking at pics just reading on them. I like being surprised by the reveal, but seriously ground/fire diglett or rock/fire golem would have been awesome, but as far as I can tell counting litten there is maybe 3 fire types. Sadness
yeah i was expection more water and fire types than what we have because its a tropical island with a volcano. but not everything has been found. we still have hope for more pokemon.

I like most of the new Gen VII wave, although I have to admit that I prefer Gen VI's. A huge percentage of Gen VI Pokémon are among my favorites. But this was good, aside from doing far too little with the Alola Form concept.

So does anyone think that some of the mined pokemon are version exclusive? what are your guesses?

@ Gamefreak about Alolan Persian

tumblr_m574y11hoE1r317bvo1_500.gif

I'm not buying into the Solgaleo & Lunala have pre-evolutions theory just yet, but it would be something new for the series to try. The "Marshadow" is cute, though. Like many have guessed, I think it'll have another form.

Anyone else getting final-boss vibes from the Ultra Beast with black & yellow body with massive pincers?
The all black edgy one is the final UB in the index, so that's likely the final boss. The giant crab is interesting though, because its mouth resembles a depiction of the solar system and its planetary rotation. So, now that I have had a good look, here are my thoughts:

-Pikipek to Toucan Sam is pretty hilarious. I wanted a steel/flying speed attack oriented Woodpecker Lance Knight, but a giant angry toucan is also a pretty good trade off, one of my favorite type of birbs. Best wtf transition ever.
-That Yeti Crab is pretty cool in a depry way. If its Ice/Fighting, that might be a cool typing, and its a good counter to rock and steel. Still weak to fire though, unfortunately.
-The Bulb crab is a big surprise. I wonder if its another water type, or a bug Pokemon. Definitely can't tell by looks.
-Guess the typings have not leaked, so I am still undecided for my team. Definitely gonna be Rowlet/Bropod/Kommo-o/Salandit2/Pallosand at the core though, no idea if Alola Raichu or Vikavolt will be my electric type.
-8 UBs is a great total, and if they are some kind of superboss type of deal, they will likely be a great challenge. That electric wire one is pretty scary.
Dolphin-Chicken-????-Bull is a pretty good animal totem for the Tapus. Doesn't look like they can stack, which is unfortunate.

I still think Marshadow is definitely some sort of story related thing. If not entirely like the Celestial Emmisaries, definitely related. I also think that in one way or another, its final phase will be reminiscent of the strange souvenir, or at least I hope it will be. One last note
311 is a pretty good dex size, but the overabundance of Kanto mon is bull. At the very least there should have been more Alola formes, the lineup is a bummer.

Wow, really wasn't expecting to get all the sprites. Shame we didn't get types though, I'd love confirmation of Litten 3 (that shiny!), WImpod 2 and Alolan Golem types.

Despite the hurr durr design of Persian & whatever the hell Dugtrio is I'm pretty happy with this generation.

I usually pick a pretty balanced team but I can't see that happening this time. Can't choose between Salandit/Beltigre & Vikavolt/Wimpod. Teams going to be pretty weak to Stealth Rock!

@pocket monster
I can see any 2 for Crabrawler, urchin & bell spider
Drampa & the Anchor look set up for it
That with Lycanroc forms & Passimian/Oranguru is probably about right imo

-The Bulb crab is a big surprise. I wonder if its another water type, or a bug Pokemon.

Why not both, in case Godpod decides to get tricky with us? :p

People, please stop hating. For every cool looking Pokemon, there have to be a derpy looking one to balance it out. (Mega Slowbro says hi). Besides, we don't know the concept behind the derpy looking ones yet so stop judging and start enjoying.
Also, Pokemon are creatures created based on concepts and animal or inanimated objects, they are not real world animal. So please stop raging about how x should evolve and because y is not the evolution you wanted.
That aside, Komala is a single stage just as I thought. I can't imagine it evolving into something else. Wimpod evolution is very nice. Love the new Alolan, especially Dugtrio. I had a good laugh and can't wait to hear why Dugtrio (who is the last one on the entire Pokemon roster that everyone expected to become fabulous) would grow hair. I'm also very happy that UBs are catchable (at least strongly in that favor for those of you who believe UBs shouldn't be catchable).

I for one am ecstatic that komala does not evolve. He is adorable and perfect and the first koala. I'm sick of everything getting ruined because it evolves into a giant mean looking bear that all look exactly the same ursuring, pangoro, and the ice one whose name i can never remember. They look exactly the same. Hooray for koala!

Back
Top Bottom