• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter discussion/speculation

Rowlet, Litten or Popplio?

• Total voters
It be cool to see another flying starter. Grass/Flying or Water/Flying would be neat.

Am I the only one who thinks Grass/Flying is a bad idea? Of all the starter types Grass benefits the least from a Ground immunity. Not only that, but Flying removes the Electric resistance, multiplies the Ice weakness and adds a Rock weakness, while only removing the Bug weakness and multiplying the Grass resistance. Yes, Grass and Bug, the two already worst types offensively, thanks. The only real positive would be a Fighting resistance, but that's still not a worthy trade-off in my opinion.
Offensively it adds a little coverage, yeah, but again, that could only work on a fast and powerful sweeper. Which would still have nothing on Steel types, making it not a sweeper.

Am I the only one who thinks Grass/Flying is a bad idea? Of all the starter types Grass benefits the least from a Ground immunity. Not only that, but Flying removes the Electric resistance, multiplies the Ice weakness and adds a Rock weakness, while only removing the Bug weakness and multiplying the Grass resistance. Yes, Grass and Bug, the two already worst types offensively, thanks. The only real positive would be a Fighting resistance, but that's still not a worthy trade-off in my opinion.
Offensively it adds a little coverage, yeah, but again, that could only work on a fast and powerful sweeper. Which would still have nothing on Steel types, making it not a sweeper.
-let the grass/flying get Thick Fat , it doesnt need to be "fat" or bulky to have it as a ability.
More starters have the same abilities.
-No more fire/"fighting" and the same dual typing for starters in a row.
- One water/"fighting" in future and let it be. We want to see more not necessary on starters.

I really would want grass to be paired in future with steel, electric, rock, ghost even with flying if its a big mountain eagle with Thick Fat.
Why did fire get a good secondary typing 3 times in a row(fire/fighting)???

Notice one thing Infernape and Greninja learn the move U-turn(bug, switch) and we still dont have a water/bug type to use it?
- water should teoreticaly crosed with poison, electric, bug, fairy, psychic or even one more time with steel but in a physicaly fast oriented attacker.(no one says tiger is only reserved for fire, but there are also Jaguars)

-We dont need to fear pure type final starters anymore, every pure type could get 2 mega forms. They could ad fairy,ghost and any other dual typing in future. Even make a pure type have two dual typed megas.(hope that for Johto starters)
-If fire gets a wild cat pokemon then it would be neat to have in future generations grass(mountain lion, rock) and water(jaguar with steel or electric) get one too.

Last edited:
Grass/Fighting type starter loosely based on Toon Link.
Fire type starter loosely based on Fire-Flower Mario.
Water/Fighting type starter loosely based on Zero Suit Samus.

Not really.

Some kind of crustacean water starter would be nice, I don't think that's been done yet. I also like the idea of a pirate water starter so maybe like a pirate lobster or something?
As for typing it could be Water/Rock, Water/Dark, or Water/Fighting
Would want it to be fast and offensive, maybe Shell Armor, Iron Fist, or Mold Breaker as HA.
(I don't have anything else, I admittedly only care what the water starter is)

Some kind of crustacean water starter would be nice, I don't think that's been done yet. I also like the idea of a pirate water starter so maybe like a pirate lobster or something?
As for typing it could be Water/Rock, Water/Dark, or Water/Fighting
Would want it to be fast and offensive, maybe Shell Armor, Iron Fist, or Mold Breaker as HA.
(I don't have anything else, I admittedly only care what the water starter is)
a water/bug fast Bell spider with crustacean and female pirate touch characteristics and Fur Coat. We have some crustacean based water animals(6) and only 4 spiders?

Crustacean with steel secondary would be like a snack for Emboar and to slow for my taste.

Last edited:
I think the reason Grass/Flying has a bad rap is because the accessible ones we have right now don't utilize the "Flying" type very well. Tropius, the Jumpluff line, and even Shaymin-Sky Form have stronger grass moves, and cannot learn the hugely powerful Brave Bird and Hurricane moves - literally the biggest strengths flying types have right now. That said, I've heard that Shaymin Sky is still a good threat in Uber Tier, mainly because of its very high speed and flinch shenanigans with air slash.

If they can make a Grass/Flying Pokemon that can learn more of the 'good' flying moves and has nice offense and speed, it would still do quite well even with the 4x ice weakness. I'd like one that would be more Physical Attack-oriented with the speed.

(Plus, adorability also matters ^_^)

So what you're essentially saying here is that we should never have another Grass/Flying line - you're saying it's not good defensively (which has been demonstrated by Tropius), it's not very good as a supporter (as shown by Jumpluff) and now it wouldn't be good offensively because Grass/Flying would be walled by Steel-types?

Competitive battling isn't something you should view through a narrow lens like you are doing either. Just because Grass/Flying is walled by Steel-types doesn't mean anything. Talonflame is Fire/Flying and walled by Rock-types, Heatran, Rotom-Wash/Heat, etc but it's still one of the best Pokemon in the entire game (not saying Grass/Flying would be the same as Talonflame, just saying don't apply this logic). If Steel-types are a big problem to it just give it Fighting coverage like Superpower, Low Kick, Focus Blast or something else. And expecting perfect neutral coverage on everything is completely unrealistic especially when only taking STAB into account.

And besides, even if it doesn't end up being a metagame lord we still need a proper offensive Grass/Flying Pokemon just so that it's a concept that's been done.

Fighting coverage

- Flying Press?
- Could teoretically also learn Mud Shot or ground move and use it from the sky.
-against Ice weakness only Thick Fat, would solve also the fire problem. Making it having 4 weaknesses.

Expecting any one pokemon to be able to take out any/every other pokemon, is just silly in general. All pokemon have their strengths and weaknesses, except maybe Mega Rayquaza. The idea is to give them enough things they are good against and bad against so that they balance out.

Does it really matter if the type advantages over one another are kept at the final stages? By following that rule there are so many combinations that will never happen... by the time you fully evolve the starter I'm pretty sure you should have a full team to help get other weaknesses and strengths covered...just my thoughts on the issue...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom