• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

This guy can't possibly claim these are real anymore, now that both Chespin and Fennekin has been proven fake.

This guy can't possibly claim these are real anymore, now that both Chespin and Fennekin has been proven fake.

Yet he's still denying it. I think since the Sylveon one is most likely real he's believing these are too (>_<)

i just pray that Fennekin won't be a fire/fighting, though even if it is, i will still pick it, do to a love of foxes

I was thinking about the announcement trailer for XY and how oeople were saying "Chespin used a Dark move, Fennekin a Psychic move and Froakie a Fighting move" and while I still think they are wrong about that (it was Aerial Ace/Psychic move/Acrobatics imo), maybe the people weren't far off and that the moves do hint at something, just not necessarily their types.

We have that list of trademarked names, which possibly includes the starters evolutions, and that hints that Chespin's could be a kendo theme and Froakie a ninja, and it seems likely that Fennekin is going Fire/Psychic at this point given what we know.

So maybe the moves in the announcement trailer hint at what their themes are going to be? Aerial Ace in Japan is called Swallow Return which is based on a sword move, and, going by the names, Chespin's possible evolutions have a kendo theme. Kendo obviously involving swords. Froakie's move was, imo, Acrobatics, and Froakie's trademarked names (and other things we've seen) point towards a ninja theme in its line. Ninjas are usually agile and... acrobatic. Then of course there's Fennekin and the Psychic moves, which I'm not going to bother explaining because we all know the deal there.

I'm still thinking that Grass/Fight and Water/Dark, the types originally said by Mageleif before "correction", work better with what we (possibly) know. Grass/Fight for kendo Chespin and Water/Dark for ninja Froakie.

I think you make a great point, and it's very likely that that's what they were trying to do. However I'm not personally convinced that Froakie's attack was Acrobatics - it very well could be, but the little lightning bolts that looked like they were coming off when it used the attack are throwing me off. I don't know what it could be. I thought maybe Quick Attack at first, but we've seen that animation now and that's not it.

People thought it was either Quick Attack, Close Combat or Acrobatics. We've seen the first two, so we know it isn't either of those. I doubt it's a new move. It just looks like Acrobatics to me.

Acrobatics.png

froakieacro_zpse4d79643.png

froakieacro1_zps0ff3ee4a.png

froakieacro2_zps9e74dee4.png

Dunno, just fits to me.

Last edited:

What about Fury Swipes or some similar move? Or am I the only one who thinks it looks like scratching or slashing?

Scratching and slashing doesn't really fit Froakie. I could see Fennekin or Chespin learning Fury Swipes, though, but not Froakie. The animation is sort of all over the place with the move (for lack of a better description) with it hitting Patrat from behind and the front, and Acrobatics is a move that allows a Pokemon in Triple Battles to even hit Pokemon the furthest away.

I was thinking about the announcement trailer for XY and how oeople were saying "Chespin used a Dark move, Fennekin a Psychic move and Froakie a Fighting move" and while I still think they are wrong about that (it was Aerial Ace/Psychic move/Acrobatics imo), maybe the people weren't far off and that the moves do hint at something, just not necessarily their types.

We have that list of trademarked names, which possibly includes the starters evolutions, and that hints that Chespin's could be a kendo theme and Froakie a ninja, and it seems likely that Fennekin is going Fire/Psychic at this point given what we know.

So maybe the moves in the announcement trailer hint at what their themes are going to be? Aerial Ace in Japan is called Swallow Return which is based on a sword move, and, going by the names, Chespin's possible evolutions have a kendo theme. Kendo obviously involving swords. Froakie's move was, imo, Acrobatics, and Froakie's trademarked names (and other things we've seen) point towards a ninja theme in its line. Ninjas are usually agile and... acrobatic. Then of course there's Fennekin and the Psychic moves, which I'm not going to bother explaining because we all know the deal there.

I'm still thinking that Grass/Fight and Water/Dark, the types originally said by Mageleif before "correction", work better with what we (possibly) know. Grass/Fight for kendo Chespin and Water/Dark for ninja Froakie.
Ninja's might use the shadows to hide, but they have always been honor bound in their job. Dark really doesn't fit the theme for a ninja, as dirty fighting doesn't exactly fit their role.

Ninja's might use the shadows to hide, but they have always been honor bound in their job. Dark really doesn't fit the theme for a ninja, as dirty fighting doesn't exactly fit their role.
Yes it does. Their job entails espionage, assassination, sabotage, and infiltration. They use unorthodox methods of warfare. They aren't samurai in terms of honor code.

I think society's view of ninjas has been changed by pop culture lately. Real ninjas used poison, disguise, and other forms of "dirty fighting" in order to assassinate their targets. While I still think Froakie will evolve into fighting type, since I'm not seeing any indication of Dark in his design, I have to agree that Dark would make as much sense coming from a ninja.

But ninjas are sly, sneaky and tricky and generally avoid open combat, how would that not fit with a Dark-type?

I think society's view of ninjas has been changed by pop culture lately. Real ninjas used poison, disguise, and other forms of "dirty fighting" in order to assassinate their targets. While I still think Froakie will evolve into fighting type, since I'm not seeing any indication of Dark in his design, I have to agree that Dark would make as much sense coming from a ninja.

I would only want Froakie to be part dark type if the rumors are true that Chespin is based off a kendo user and Froakie is based off a ninja. Because if that is the case, then Chespin makes more sense as a fighting type and Froakie makes more sense as a dark type.

But ninjas are sly, sneaky and tricky and generally avoid open combat, how would that not fit with a Dark-type?
You said it yourself. Generally, not always, do they avoid open combat. For all we know its an honorable Ninja frog, and not a dirty fighter. And anyway, I like the types working in an opposite flow. Grass/Dark, Fire/ Psychic, Water/Fighting gives an edge to the weaker type, compared to giving us a straight up x4 super effective double triangle.

You said it yourself. Generally, not always, do they avoid open combat. For all we know its an honorable Ninja frog, and not a dirty fighter. And anyway, I like the types working in an opposite flow. Grass/Dark, Fire/ Psychic, Water/Fighting gives an edge to the weaker type, compared to giving us a straight up x4 super effective double triangle.

Swampert has a 4x weakness against Sceptile and nobody really complains about that. Empoleon is also 4x weak against Torterra.

You said it yourself. Generally, not always, do they avoid open combat.

That doesn't change anything. All it means is that 9/10 they are going to be sneaky and use dirty tactics. Fighting (outside of combat) using things such as smoke/poison bombs, blowdarts, shurikens, caltrops, blinding powder, etc, is considerable honourable fighting to you?

That doesn't change anything. All it means is that 9/10 they are going to be sneaky and use dirty tactics. Fighting (outside of combat) using things such as smoke/poison bombs, blowdarts, shurikens, caltrops, blinding powder, etc, is considerable honourable fighting to you?
It makes wonder if Froakie will also learn Poison type attacks as well?

Okay, fine, Ninja's fit the dark type. As I said before, it doesn't really matter.

Swampert has a 4x weakness against Sceptile and nobody really complains about that. Empoleon is also 4x weak against Torterra.
Yes, but in this case it would be full on 4x weakness all round, instead of 2x weakness AND 2x strength. Chespin would gain an edge on Fennekin, Fennekin on Froakie, and Froakie on Chespin. I like it much better like that.

It makes wonder if Froakie will also learn Poison type attacks as well?

I could see it (or maybe its evolutions) learning some like Poison Jab or Cross Poison. Poison Jab has odd distribution, so it wouldn't surprise me if it does learn it. Clear Smog would be really cool, too, but I doubt it'll get it. Toxic is a given. It'll probably learn Gunk Shot, too.

Well as you said Zeb, ninjas in the modern eye have changed greatly in how they're portrayed. Nowadays you have more heroic ninjas like the TMNT who fight for the good of the people and despite their more dirty tactics they're still good characters underneath that. So with that in mind, it depends on how they want to portray Froakie, as the original, more darker ninja or the modern heroic one so it can go either way.

Chespin depends on what that rumored name means, if it means Kendo then I have no question, fighting fits better. If it's a knight, then it could mean Dark Knight as Stratelier said in the other thread so both could work in that case. Of course though, that's assuming that the name does apply to it and is not a Blizzard Wolf. :p

Back
Top Bottom