• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

The sooner the evolutions are revealed the better. I tend to frown at first but I warm up to them.

I still want the evos kept secret at least until October. It's easier to "warm up to" them after having raised them for awhile yourself.

Last edited:

With so many more of WPM's leaks confirmed, I guess that means the Dark/Fighting/Psychic trio has a high probability of being real. Pity...

I love the poster of the starters! Hopefully that movie Froakie uses isn't Aqua Ring better something more agressive :D .

I really don't want them to be the Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle... I hope that rumor isn't true like the others... Grass/Dark is a terrible typing >_< I really want Chespin to be Grass/Rock. I think Fennekin would be pretty good as Fire/Psychic, but I wouldn't mind if it was pure Fire. Froakie, I don't really care.

I'm probably going to end up choosing Fennekin. I really want it to be a Fire/Psychic with a high SpA and Spe. It seems like it'll be fast though; I mean, it is a fox.
I have to agree that Chespin being a Grass/Dark type would be pretty bad, but it seems most likely to happen. I've also wanted a Grass/Rock starter. I don't see Chespin as being that starter, however.
If that cloud dragon/serpent thing were actually Froakie's evo, it might be Water/Flying, which is a pretty awesome typing, imo. It does seem like it's going to be Water/Fighting (so as to complete the core). I doubt it'll be better than Keldeo though, so it'll just be in its shadow. Hopefully, it'll be better than Poliwrath.
As far as using it goes, I agree in that there seem to be better Water types to use than Froakie. Tbh, though, I've wanted to choose Fennekin since day 1. Froakie doesn't seem quite as attractive to me as it seems to seem to many others.

I'm expecting Fennekin's Evolution to be something more like this:

Golden Jackal pokemon.jpg

But, you know, way better, because GF did it, and I drew this in like two minutes. I have a strong hunch it's going to turn into a Golden Jackal Pokemon, and not some kind of kitsune.

I'm going with fennikin for sure now. I'm just wondering if it's going to be a fire-psychic (would be cool) a fire-fairy (could be interesting) or a fire-fighting.(IT BETTER NOT BE!)

I've noticed lately around the Pokémon community that people have been asking how on earth is it that Chespin uses Vine Whip, I give you guys a work of art that I like to call Chespin used Vine Whip! XD...

Chespin used Vine Whip!.png

Isn't it just lovely >_<

I still think it should've gotten Razor Leaf. Maybe Snivy (who I think should have also gotten Razor Leaf) can just pull them out of nowhere, but Chespin doesn't really look like a Pokemon associated with vines. Where are they coming from?

^Good point. Also, Vine whip (35 p) sucks and Razor Leaf (55 p) is way better. I'm more or less convinced that Fennekin is going to learn Confusion or Psywave at level 8, and that would give away that it's Psychic type evo, so GF is covering it up for now.

I don't get why people want Fennekin to become a kitsune in the first place. There are already two existing fox lines based on kitsune, at this point it's more interesting for a fox Pokemon to not be a kitsune.

I'm a bit worried about Chespin's final stage. If both the Pokebeach rumours about its typing and the Fairy type being super effective against Dark are true, then that means it would have seven weaknesses (including one nasty 4x weakness to Bug).

With more and more of the Pokebeach rumors being true, I am a bit interested in how Froakie will become a Fighting type. It definitely has some burglery tendencies if the anime art is anything to go by. But that seemingly contradicts its typing.

Are we still trusting ALL of the Pokebeach rumors? Because I recall that there was a secondary set of less trusted rumors.

Are we still trusting ALL of the Pokebeach rumors? Because I recall that there was a secondary set of less trusted rumors.

The starter typings came from the first batch of rumours. The again, the leaker supposedly messed up the first time and had to post corrections. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the starter typing leak was either wrong or fabricated, as unlikely as that seems now.

Ah. Well, that does disappoint me because I do trust the more reliable batch of rumors by now.
And I assume Fairy's type effectiveness was part of the first batch? If so, that also disappoints since I really think Fairy should be weak to Ice and Ice should resist it. Ice needs this.

And I have no clue why Dark would be weak against Fairy. Well, I can see it flavor-wise but Dark isn't a problem type at all.

I still hope the leaker got things wrong and the types are Grass/Fighting and Water/Dark. Grass/Dark is such a terrible type for Chespin. Yeah, I choose my Pokémon based on their designs, but still, it will have so many weaknesses. :l Grass/Fighting wouldn't be that bad and Froakie could be a bad ass with the Water/Dark typing.

What exactly makes Grass/Dark such a "bad" combination compared to Grass/Psychic or Grass/Fighting? All three are members of Charizard's Double Weakness Club. Is it the Dark type's somewhat limited offensive utility?

I still hope the leaker got things wrong and the types are Grass/Fighting and Water/Dark. Grass/Dark is such a terrible type for Chespin. Yeah, I choose my Pokémon based on their designs, but still, it will have so many weaknesses. :l Grass/Fighting wouldn't be that bad and Froakie could be a bad ass with the Water/Dark typing.

While Grass/Dark is bad, I think Grass/Fighting isn't better at all. Grass/Fighting would have 6 weaknesses (including a 4x to Flying which is generally more formidable than Bug), which is only 1 less than Grass/Dark's 7 weaknesses. Plus, at least Grass/Dark has 1 immunity to Psychic while Grass/Fighting has 0. So both type combos suck, but Grass/Fighting is definitely worse than Grass/Dark (or just as bad).

In the end though, the best type combo for Chespin would be Grass/Rock.

I think it would be cool if Chespin was Grass/Flying, but he's most likely Grass/Rock
Fennekin should definitely be Fire/Psychic, but I think I'm the only person who doesn't mind Fire/Fighting
Froakie should be either pure Water, Water/Fighting or Water/Flying if Chespin is Rock.

Back
Top Bottom