• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Which is my point. They already have a staple that will be at least part electric, there is no need for even more electric types.

Did you read the rest of my post?
My next paragraph explained quite clearly why Scorbunny3 and Pikachu won’t have much overlap.

By that same logic they shouldn’t have done electric box mascots or electric mythicals but we got them both, too.

we going Team Scorbunny.
what wonder starters final Evo type be like.

Scorbunny: Fire/Electric.
Sobble: Water/Ghost.
Grookey: Grass/Rock or steel?
Edited Yes that Sobbled based on a Chameleon.
Sobble has a invisible.

Last edited:
Did you read the rest of my post?

I did...

The thing is Pikachu is not just cute. It's also posited as extremely powerful. The starters and Pikachu are designed to work together as a team. This should also address your last sentence. Legendaries and Mythicals are completely different altogether.

I did...

The thing is Pikachu is not just cute. It's also posited as extremely powerful. The starters and Pikachu are designed to work together as a team. This should also address your last sentence. Legendaries and Mythicals are completely different altogether.

Actually, the base stage starters and Pikachu are designed to work as a team for promotional material. Most promotion of fully evolved starters is done as a trio.
Pikachu being promoted alongside fully evolved starters is a rare occrance.

I did...

Anime wise, you’re right, but in the games Pikachu isn’t that strong.

Same goes for team working as a team. That’s just an anime thing, and even then, Ash doesn’t get all the starters. Scorbunny might very well be one that doesn’t join his team.

I do personally think Fire/Steel might be more likely then Fire/Electric, but I don’t think the Pikachu argument is one that would lock out Electric typing for a starter’s second type in general.

Scorbunny has the energetic theme as well as very sport-like such as football, so I support Fire/Electric-- the usual energy forms, as well as common adjectives in sport teams like blazing/scorching/lightning/thunders etc.
Also, hairy bunnies are usually represented with static electricity like One Piece's mink tribe Electro on Carrot.

Grookey is the mischievous one, with the sound-theme like groove and tapping bongo drums, so it's possible to be Grass/Dark for the mischief as well as dark sound moves like Snarl or Grass/Normal for STAB to most sound moves and normal-type is also a sound concept like the numerous normal-type sound moves, tho Grass/Psychic is also a possibility since sounds seem to also be a psychic concept as they did with the Swoobat line and the move Synchronoise. I am partly basing it to the fact that Popplio became Water/Fairy since it also has the playful nature tho fairy-like not mischievous like dark-type, as well as it learned the fairy move Disarming Voice and became a STAB of its evo.

Snobble is interesting, since it's the timid reptile and can camouflage. It would be nice to see it evolve to Water/Dragon like the mega evos of Charizard and Sceptile. It will be a character development from being timid reptile to a strong dragon with interesting ability.

Grookey is the mischievous one, with the sound-theme like groove and tapping bongo drums, so it's possible to be Grass/Dark for the mischief as well as dark sound moves like Snarl or Grass/Normal for STAB to most sound moves and normal-type is also a sound concept like the numerous normal-type sound moves,

Or maybe it gets an ability to convert Normal moves to either of its STABs. It happened with Hyper Voice Spamming Mega Gardevoir, and more recently, Primarina.

Well, with the fact that, as I said in a blog last night, I will indeed be continuing on with the Poke-craze, I might as well chime in.

In terms of the starters designs, I'll be frank... it took some time for them to warm up to me. Sure, they're cute, but... that's sort of the problem. They look too much like Neopets or something along those lines, making them almost too cute. And their designs are a bit... simple. However, they have warmed up to me a bit. Out of them all, Scorbunny is most likely my starter of choice, as I tend to pick Fire Starters the most frequently, and it's the one that doesn't seem diabetic-level cute. Final evos and final typing will factor in as well, but Scorbunny is probably my pick. Sobble will probably be my second choice (or, if I decide to get both versions, it'll be for the second game's playthrough), but, again, final evos and typing will determine a lot. Grookey I like the least, as it just doesn't do it for me. I'm not a huge fan of chimps or monkeys (though Chimchar was an exception), and it looks the most like a Neopet, which I don't like. Plus I tend to have reservations regarding Grass Starters and Grass Mons as a whole, though there are exceptions (like Turtwig). Again, they've warmed up to me a bit more over time, but they're a bit too heavy on the cute, so I'll save any final judgement when their final forms are shown.

As for me taking a guess regarding final typing, this is what I have to offer. Grookey will either be a Grass/Dark, Grass/Fighting, or Grass/Fairy. Scorbunny will be either a Fire/Steel or Fire/Electric (well, there is also the case of Fire/Fighting, but I won't open up that can of worms). As for Sobble, either Water/Ghost or Water/Fairy. Again, these are just off the top of my head (though some of their bios and "traits" do give me more reason to believe some of them), so I won't protect my "ideas" regarding the subject, as they are very much subject to change. That about covers my opinion on the Starters, at least at the moment.

Anime wise, you’re right, but in the games Pikachu isn’t that strong.

Same goes for team working as a team. That’s just an anime thing, and even then, Ash doesn’t get all the starters. Scorbunny might very well be one that doesn’t join his team.

Honestly yes I was thinking more of the anime. The anime writers clearly don't have a say but I think they could possibly take the anime into consideration.

If gen 2 starters get megas in this game then feraligatr will be water/dragon. Hmm ape with rock, rabbit with steel wheel, lizard with acid amor? I also think rabbit should be electric. That wheel. What kind of wheel was it? To produce electric energy from steam? Taking that we had 2 gen in row dark types, last gen all had immunities. Hmmm grass/rock vs water/poison would be neutral. Steel bunny would have advantage steel over rock, immune to poison but weak to water and neutral to fire. Fire/electric would be good vs water pokes. That water/ghost is teory is nice but maybe they will try to avoid repeating types from last gen. Last time was fairy primarina strong against dark greninja, dark incineroar vs psychic delphox and ghost decidueye and fighting chestnaught. If they would chose the same bunny would need to be ground. If they choose to make it strong to the oposite stronger types too taking speed into account then rock/grass(neutral to fire and flying#talonflame), fire/ electric and water/poison would be it. The water would be neutral to grass... I too would want in future fire/steel,fire/ghost water/ghost , grass/steel , grass/electric, grass/fairy, water/electric, water/fighting but we dont know if in this gen... Fire/steel would own grass totally. Only grass/rock could compete. Its a icy region now but monkey rather wont be neutral to ice. We will need to wait for moves and secondary forms. Taking speed, type resistances and immunities then this starts to be interesting.

I could kill for another trio like Gen 4. That has been literally the only trio when I loved each and every fully evolved starter.
Agreed. Design wise, while my favorite starter is Charmander/Charizard, my ranking in terms of trio’s final stage goes like this: 4>1>7>3>2>5, despite Incineroar turning out the way he did.

Gen II is consistently my favorite trio, actually. Sometimes simpler designs are the better ones. Not everything has to have an overabundance of detail.

My ranking goes like this:

2 > 1 > 6 > 3 > 7 > 4 > 5

I’d be down for simpler Pokémon, but if they can at least approach the elegant designs of Gen VI, I’ll be happy.

What if the water starter will be poison with banefull bunker move? Steel and ghost secondary this gen? With faster pokemon? I dont think so. Fire/steel is possible but not with such a fast pokemon. Rabbit with ekectric could take on charizard too. Torterra would be a counter to it. Also interesting last gen tiger and owl and now rabbit. Steel would be to strong against grass... Fire is enough, ground would be too weak to water and we already have a ground bunny . electric neutral to dark good against water. Also swampert and empeleon are there. 3 fire/fighting vs steel? Even if its fast it would lack stats and offensive power. Rabbit and fox. Steel resists psychic... But 4x ground weakness without that electric levitating move? Yes rabbit fire/electric will get that. If fire/steel remember it needs defenses to survive mach punch.

I really hope that the leak of the final evo of Scorbunny where it's a robot/plane is real. Sure, it has Instagram/Facebook watermarks, but I feel there's at least a small chance it somehow turns out to be real.

Here's the image in case people missed it. It's so cool!

If real, it'd probably be Fire/Steel. That'd be a solid typing.

Until I see the final evolution officially myself, I'm not going to disbelieve it. After all, it wouldn't be terribly strange if an apparently disproven leak somehow turned out to be real. It's not completely impossible, no matter how unlikely.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom