• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
I agree, but we shouldn't judge Scorbunny based on it's appearance. EX: Piplup is a Penguin, Penguins normally live in frozen climates. But Empoleon ended up as Water/Steel instead of Water/Ice. Just saying.
That's true - I don't think any starter really visually alludes to its final typing in its base form, unless it stays the same types. (maybe litten? dark stripes? I don't know. also mudkip has it more in the name already rather than design)
Would probably be weird for scorbunny to suddenly start that up.

From that leaker who got a lot of things about the Direct correct:
Scorbunny will have fighting moves, but is pure fighter. It becomes Raboot, but I don't remember the final evolution, except that it looks like a fighter. It looks humanoid

Yes, Double Kick makes sense, bc even Gen 1 rabbit like Pokemon like Nidoran learned it. But this makes me feel concerned since the bunny has now become my favorite of the 3.

Why? Out of all the concepts and mythologies that exist in the world, is Fire Fighting animals the one that is CONSTANTLY drummed out. I dunno what "pure fighter" means, unless he meant it will stay pure fire w/fighting type moves, but his description of the last evo...

From that leaker who got a lot of things about the Direct correct:

Yes, Double Kick makes sense, bc even Gen 1 rabbit like Pokemon like Nidoran learned it. But this makes me feel concerned since the bunny has now become my favorite of the 3.

Why? Out of all the concepts and mythologies that exist in the world, is Fire Fighting animals the one that is CONSTANTLY drummed out. I dunno what "pure fighter" means, unless he meant it will stay pure fire w/fighting type moves, but his description of the last evo...

I think the leak meant "pure Fire" but they got them mixed up.

A stick that has special effects
The stick held by Grookey was originally a branch from the forest where troops of Grookey live, but it’s no longer a simple branch. It has gained special powers after being exposed to the energy within Grookey’s body.
It can give energy to plants
Its green fur creates energy from sunlight. Wilted flowers and leaves have been seen to regain their color when Grookey drums with its stick near them.
source
So, I am thinking Grookey will be grass/fairy.

With the new descriptions, I'm leaning even further into Grookey being Grass/Fairy.

For Sobble, still Water/Ghost but Water/Psychic could work too (since it can influence other's emotions with its tears).

Scorbunny... I believe the leak for now. I can definitely see pure Fire, especially if its design looks pretty fighter-y because Gamefreak will not do Fire/Fighting (see Incinceroar).

With the new descriptions, I'm leaning even further into Grookey being Grass/Fairy.

For Sobble, still Water/Ghost but Water/Psychic could work too (since it can influence other's emotions with its tears).

Scorbunny... I believe the leak for now. I can definitely see pure Fire, especially if its design looks pretty fighter-y because Gamefreak will not do Fire/Fighting (see Incinceroar).
im still in denial about scorbunny. haha. it reminds me of a kickboxer though.

A stick that has special effects
The stick held by Grookey was originally a branch from the forest where troops of Grookey live, but it’s no longer a simple branch. It has gained special powers after being exposed to the energy within Grookey’s body.
It can give energy to plants
Its green fur creates energy from sunlight. Wilted flowers and leaves have been seen to regain their color when Grookey drums with its stick near them.
source
So, I am thinking Grookey will be grass/fairy.

I hope not! A "fairy" monkey seems akward to me...and not to speak that PKMN like Venusaur, Celebi, Shaymin have abilities to heal and create plants and they're not Fairy.

I just hope that Grookey ends up as my wish of a Grass Gorilla, with the stick becoming (or the last evo using) a tree as a staff.
I'm thinking that the choice of the monkey as the inspiration for Grookey may have something to do with the proeminent role of Indians in Bristish history and society.

well my focus isnt on the ability to grow plants but more about the stick. like it gaining special effects and using it to tap things. it reminds me of a magician's wand i suppose.

I'm thinking that the choice of the monkey as the inspiration for Grookey may have something to do with the proeminent role of Indians in Bristish history and society.
Why specifically monkeys for Indians? I do know actual monkeys are found in India but... You know that 'monkey' and 'primitive' have been used as probably-racist insults by the British colonisers for Indians, right?

As an Indian, that’s probably one of the darkest periods in our history, and Indians='monkeys' has too many racist connotations. An attempt to strip us off our diverse culture was made, equating us with primitive and monkeys.
Specifically if the Pokémon in question is a brutal brown faced monkey accompanied by a white footballer who has an advantage over it.

Last edited:
Please not grass fairy. There's several of that already. I want Grookey to evolve into a Grass/Rock rockstar. Like Florence + The Machine lmfao
Im hoping for grass fighting lemur . cant wait to see middle stages to get clues on where they are heading for the starters

If Sobble doesn't end up as cool as that one leak of its final evolution I'll be very upset.

I'll also be upset if the Grass one doesn't become a gorilla.

It is a bit difficult to avoid the leaks, especially when it comes to the starters, but I do like the idea of Grookey becoming Grass/Fairy. It would still be a unique type combination. I don't know if I want it to become a gorilla or not. I guess it would really depend on what the final evolve form looks like.

After the recent Pokemon Direct, I'm finding myself liking Grookey more and more. Scorbunny is still my favorite out of the three, but everything about Grookey shown in the trailer and in the official artwork just makes it look so adorable. It's such a happy little monkey. It was growing on me more over time before the Direct, but I think it's a close second with Scorbunny in terms of being my favorite of the new starters. It also feels like it doesn't get as much attention compared to Scorbunny and Sobble, so maybe that makes it more appealing to me in a way. I think some of my favorite starters tend to be less popular or at least start out less popular compared to the other ones in the set. Figuring out which starter I'm going to use in which game is really going to depend on what the evolved forms look like, as well as if there are other Fire type Pokemon that I'd want to try out, but I'm still pretty sure that my starters are going to be Scorbunny and Grookey.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom