• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
again, I don't ever recall at time where pokemon stats are placeholders or altered for the sake of a demo.
I definitely wouldn't say altered because there's absolutely no reason to hide stats- just placeholders, unfinished, not finalized.

And SpaceWorld had placeholder stats like crazy, though I know that was a long long time ago. But do we even have stats from a more recent event demo to compare with this one? I don't remember Sun and Moon even being playable at an event and I'm not sure if X/Y was either, or if anyone bothered to take note of the stat screen.
I remember the Sun/Moon (e-shop?) demo having placeholder stats.

EDIT: I checked and the true stats were simply datamined later.

I still think these might be placeholder stats for the Galar starters, though. I don’t see Scorbunny and Sobble getting near identical stats.

Last edited:
I remember the Sun/Moon (e-shop?) demo having placeholder stats.

EDIT: I checked and the true stats were simply datamined later.

I still think these might be placeholder stats.
Yeah... since the e-shop demos were launched much closer to release day, I figured they were more likely to have been finalized compared to this demo being available months in advance. We don't really have a more recent comparison of what stats look like in a demo that's available this early, aside from good ol' SpaceWorld back in '97 where nearly everything was placeholder and later scrapped so it still makes for a rough comparison.

I also would like to underline that a base 94 attack/sp. attack on a starter is just absurd. It means that Scorbunny and Sobble are way stronger than blastoise and serperior. They are basically baby deoxys.

I also would like to underline that a base 94 attack/sp. attack on a starter is just absurd. It means that Scorbunny and Sobble are way stronger than blastoise and serperior. They are basically baby deoxys.
It would makes sense with how the stats are lined up. Normally starter have 40 to 50 in defenses and attack stats, but scorbunny and sobble have low defenses and a low attack stat opposite of each other. All those points seem to have been funneled into their respective attack stats and speed.

Now I also should remind you Masuda and Ohmori state the theme of these games is "The strongest" ad the starters were to relate to that theme in some way. Possibly hinting that the starters are probably the strongest set to date

It would makes sense with how the stats are lined up. Normally starter have 40 to 50 in defenses and attack stats, but scorbunny and sobble have low defenses and a low attack stat opposite of each other. All those points seem to have been funneled into their respective attack stats and speed.

Now I also should remind you Masuda and Ohmori state the theme of these games is "The strongest" ad the starters were to relate to that theme in some way. Possibly hinting that the starters are probably the strongest set to date
And I would be pleased by this decision. It's not like most of the starters need both of the attacks stats anyway. I still find It hard to believe they actually made this competitive decision though...

Well, maybe they did this time. It doesn’t seem realistic to me for it to have 94 base spatk. If that’s the case it looks like the game is going to be even easier :/
While they can hit hard, yes, but they still are rather frail. They can get easily taken out should a pokemon survive. Probably why they have such high health for survivability.

While they can hit hard, yes, but they still are rather frail. They can get easily taken out should a pokemon survive. Probably why they have such high health for survivability.
Ehhh this rarely ever matters from my experience. Sweeping through opponent’s teams before they have a chance to counterattack at all is pretty much how 90% of battles go in Story Pokémon.

Not really. They have 74 hp which is incredibly high. Tepig, which is the starter with the highest hp, has 65 base hp. This means that even with 33 in both defenses they are still way bulkier than froakie.
The stats have no problem, they are perfectly distributed for all of the three. What's different is that one of the attacks has been completely decreased while all other starters had both good/normal attacks even if they were not meant to use one of them after evolution.
These are first really competitive starters. Which is highly suspicious.

base speed
Froakie 71
Trecko 70
Litten 70
Charmander 65
Snivy 63
Chimchar 61
Fennekin 60
Cyndaquil 65
Torchic 45
Totodile 43

Hmm Sobble fastest, Scorchbunny 1 point slower, Grookey 5 poinst slower then Sobble but only 4 then Scorchbunny?

Sobble may end up like Incineroar but taking everything they all should be faster ones this time. When fully evolved Scorch should surpass Infernape or even with Serperior? Grookey could be between 82 and 100.

Another news update and no update yet on the starters nor their evolutions. I wonder if this is normal or if reveals from the past had the same pattern. This is the first time I've followed a Pokémon upcoming game train so closely.

Another news update and no update yet on the starters nor their evolutions. I wonder if this is normal or if reveals from the past had the same pattern. This is the first time I've followed a Pokémon upcoming game train so closely.
Well, the last time the starters' evolutions were revealed close to the release date.

XY revealed the starter evolutions in September and SM revealed them in October (or it might be the other way around, I can't remember). So they usually don't until it gets close.

Didn't we learn about Greninja and the other final evos because XY hit street date earlier than it was supposed to?

Didn't we learn about Greninja and the other final evos because XY hit street date earlier than it was supposed to?
Yup, games sold in other areas early so pokemono and megas got leaked, and I remember leaks were getting deleted left and right that day. With Greninja, Delphox, and Chesnaught being leaked and people thought they were fake cause they didn't like the designs.

Yup, games sold in other areas early so pokemono and megas got leaked, and I remember leaks were getting deleted left and right that day. With Greninja, Delphox, and Chesnaught being leaked and people thought they were fake cause they didn't like the designs.
I honestly can't wait for that time when we're getting actual credible leaks and we have to choose whether or not we believe them. I always find that a really exciting time to be a fan. I remember the arguments people had about the leaked black and white starter evolutions before Gen V, and how DETAILED some people went in "proving" they were fake. I'm not sure why, but I just enjoy that whole conversation.

I honestly can't wait for that time when we're getting actual credible leaks and we have to choose whether or not we believe them. I always find that a really exciting time to be a fan. I remember the arguments people had about the leaked black and white starter evolutions before Gen V, and how DETAILED some people went in "proving" they were fake. I'm not sure why, but I just enjoy that whole conversation.
It's not that people "proved" the Gen V starters were fake, it's because an "artist" said he created them and people chose to believe him. Same thing happened with the Alolan starters even if they had Mallow in them (a character that was not revealed then), until the datamine came and killed that.

It's not that people "proved" the Gen V starters were fake, it's because an "artist" said he created them and people chose to believe him.
Nah, other things happened too, it wasn't just that. There were people who went around comparing every part of the new Pokemon and saying they just came from other Pokemon and would make charts comparing them to prove they were fake. It was super in depth, and completely wrong. That time when I didn't know exactly what to believe was really interesting for me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom