• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Still doesn't change the fact their trying to keep each starter unique since then. Like Why isn't Serperior Grass/Poison despite being a snake? Or Fire/Fighting like you said with Incineroar, when the typing is almost as old at this point?
I do see your point that they'd avoid repeating types now, but the pedantic self in me points out that Serperior never had a poisonous theme to my knowledge to warrant the type (there are non-venomous snakes too), but I think Grass/Ground isn’t crossed out yet.

I do see your point that they'd avoid repeating types now, but the pedantic self in me points out that Serperior never had a poisonous theme to my knowledge to warrant the type (there are non-venomous snakes too), but I think Grass/Ground isn’t crossed out yet.
Nah it isn't yet, but I feel they want to keep starters unique. Even for the Fire/Fighters it was still a unique typing amongst all pokemon, and after that 3peat I feel they want each starter to be more original you know?

Nah it isn't yet, but I feel they want to keep starters unique. Even for the Fire/Fighters it was still a unique typing amongst all pokemon, and after that 3peat I feel they want each starter to be more original you know?
Maybe? Even though they didn’t repeat Fire/Fighting, we did get a Fighting-but-not-Fighting type recently, and 4/7 starters being based on fighting styles didn’t scream original to me.

A point to note is Grass/Ground is even more unique than Fire/Fighting, only Torterra has it as of now.

I really like these fakemons. I like how they did a different route with grookey than what i normally see (lemurs and gorillas) and sobble's looks great too.
DeviantArt

Maybe? Even though they didn’t repeat Fire/Fighting, we did get a Fighting-but-not-Fighting type recently, and 4/7 starters being based on fighting styles didn’t scream original to me.

A point to note is Grass/Ground is even more unique than Fire/Fighting, only Torterra has it as of now.
That typing was repeated because of Blaziken's popularity and Ape at the time of his debut was considered even more popular but all that ended with ol Emboar.

That typing was repeated because of Blaziken's popularity and Ape at the time of his debut was considered even more popular but all that ended with ol Emboar.
That logic didn’t really hold after Emboar since Greninja ascended to the #1 popular Pokemon, and Primarina is as far from Greninja as one can get.

That logic didn’t really hold after Emboar since Greninja ascended to the #1 popular Pokemon, and Primarina is as far from Greninja as one can get.
I meant why the Fire\Fighting typing was repeated.
Emboar was pretty contested though and that put an end to that saga

Is Grookey gonna be a special tank or a physical tank?
Scorbunny is the frail physical attacker, sobble is the frail special attacker.
Is he gonna be a a special or physical tank?
TankPhysicalSpecial
BlastoiseCharizard (a bit farfetche'd)Venusaur
MeganiumFeraligatrTyphlosion
SwampertBlazikenSceptile
TorterraInfernapeEmpoleon
SerperiorEmboarSamurott
ChesnaughtGreninjaDelphox
IncineroarDecidueyePrimarina

Is Grookey gonna be a special tank or a physical tank?
Scorbunny is the frail physical attacker, sobble is the frail special attacker.
Is he gonna be a a special or physical tank?
TankPhysicalSpecial
BlastoiseCharizard (a bit farfetche'd)Venusaur
MeganiumFeraligatrTyphlosion
SwampertBlazikenSceptile
TorterraInfernapeEmpoleon
SerperiorEmboarSamurott
ChesnaughtGreninjaDelphox
IncineroarDecidueyePrimarina
Physical tank seeing his stats

That's what I assumed, but with people throwing around special-dominant typings (psychic, fairy, electric) I thought he might go down the special tank route.
The one think that rules out Psychic and Fairy, is that if Grookey is supposed to be bulky, Fairy and Psychic aren't the best typings for that, both have 4x weaknesses. Same for Ground, Fighting, and Dark. And Rock makes it resist Fire attacks which ruins the triangle. Best fitting types left is Electric. It's fairly balance in terms of typing cause it also has not many weaknesses aside from the average Grass ones.

On the topic of fire starters, I find curious that since Gen 3, and for overall 5 of the 6 dual type final stages, the not only chose to go three times with fighting, but the other two times for types that with the former form the most complete elemental triangle in Pokémon other then the starter triangle (as far as I can recall, there’s no possible triangle where one type as both offensive and defensive advantages again one and disadvantages against the other, even if Dark is fully immune and not just resistant to Psychic); and now, there are at least good chances to return to Fighting.

I wouldn’t base my decision on the starter on this, but I’d like a complete different typing, not connected to those typing.

The one think that rules out Psychic and Fairy, is that if Grookey is supposed to be bulky, Fairy and Psychic aren't the best typings for that, both have 4x weaknesses
We’re talking about the same team which constantly designs tanky Ice types, which isn’t at all suited as a defensive type.

Swampert, Torterra and Chesnaught have 4x weaknesses and that’s literally 75% of the dual types “tanky” starters on that chart.

We’re talking about the same team which constantly designs tanky Ice types, which isn’t at all suited as a defensive type.

Swampert, Torterra and Chesnaught have 4x weaknesses and that’s literally 75% of the dual types “tanky” starters on that chart.
Swampert only makes sense, mostly because it needs the Grass weakness, plus it's weak to nothing else so it anything it balances Swampert from being too strong.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom