• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stories that you gave up on...

Well, as I said before, my first prototype idea ran headlong into a brick wall and died a painful death because I turned it into one ginormous mess. While a number of ideas from it got resurrected in new forms for Dawn of Courage, such as the MC being a cowardly lion, most of the main concepts, such as the female lead being a deserter from the enemy army, the main antagonist is a goddess, the fact that there were three factions in the power struggle, and the MC's "virus beast mode" were ultimately scrapped. I also stripped down several aspects of the returning ideas, such as making the magical spells much simpler and to-the-point instead of being more versatile and creative. That said I did expand on a few ideas, like making familiars more unique and interesting compared to the first idea's version of them. But, yeah, I was pretty upset that I wasn't able to make the first idea a reality even though Dawn of Courage rose up from its ashes, as there were some interesting concepts that the first idea had that I wanted to try out. Probably the biggest reason why it fails was because it was too ambitious for my skill level to bring to life, so that's why the ideas that transferred over to Dawn of Courage were stripped down to some degree so it would be more manageable. It was frustrating, to say the least, but at least I know my limits well enough to know when I'm biting off more than I can chew.

Ohhh, where to begin? I had a lot of one-shots that sort of fizzled out halfway through and I looked at and thought "Hm, yeah, this isn't as good as I thought."
I've actually forgotten over half of the actual plots, but if I had a nickel for every fic idea I had and then dropped, I'd be rich.

To add to this thread: I attempted to do a reimagining of the Pokémon anime. Many times. @LightningTopaz can agree that I have started and then scrapped each attempt. Mainly due to not really knowing what I really wanted to do with it. I'm sure there were other factors involved.

As frustrating as it is to hit the wall or scrap something, that doesn't mean you should ever work with that idea ever again. It may need some fine tuning to get it to work.
I absolutely agree with you. I think I will attempt it again, but this time, not posting anything until it is ready. I would rather not go through that again. If I recall, I must have made like, what, 10 attempts at the Pokemon anime reimagined series?

And after remembering this thread + an OC concept I had in middle school, I'm now in the process of dusting one of these 'given up' stories off and giving it a fresh coat of paint.
Sometimes you just gotta come back to these ideas later with fresh eyes.

And after remembering this thread + an OC concept I had in middle school, I'm now in the process of dusting one of these 'given up' stories off and giving it a fresh coat of paint.
Sometimes you just gotta come back to these ideas later with fresh eyes.
Very true. Taking a break from a story project can help. Especially if you did other stories and gained more experience. Coming back to that one project with the experience you gained from doing other projects can help.

As some people may have been aware, I've been making a WW2's Pacific Theatre take on Fire Emblem Fates Conquest LP. To be honest, I'm still massively burnt out from all that re-writing I had to do because of how much of a dumpster fire the vanilla plot of Conquest is.

Back
Top Bottom