• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, etc.

Strongest battler?

• Total voters
Re: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, e

All Iris does is spam Excadrill and Dragonite.

May was actually a really good battler, Dawn was too.

Re: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, e

You didn't explain Brock, Misty, Cilan or Tracey. They are crying in a corner bro. :<

I agree, Iris would be awful if not for Dragonite, but since she has the overpowered barney I have a hard time seeing the others defeating it.

You didn't explain Brock, Misty, Cilan or Tracey. They are crying in a corner bro. :<
Brock is nothing more than a perv.

Misty is OKAY.

Cilan spams Solarbeam Monkey and Zeustle.

Tracey sucks, he doesn't deserve an explanation.

Thank you, their feelings are no longer hurt :D
EDIT: Kay fine you hurt Tracey, he is so depressed he locked himself up in his apartment refusing to come out.

After Mamoswine's pathetic performance I would either say May or Iris, but not Dawn~

Last edited:

Yeah, I've been meaning to post in this thread for a long time but haven't. After re-reading some of these post and thinking about it, I'm changing my opinion. I originally voted Misty as the strongest, but I don't think so anymore after rewatching some older episodes.

Misty:Her team for the most part was average. Goldeen, Horsea, Staryu, Starmie, Caserin, and Azurill were really nothing to write home about, this could be due to the fact we hardly saw the latter two battle. Obviously, the strongest were Psyduck and Gyarados. Politoed and Corsola were the most battle active members of her team back during her Johto journey. But, yeah, I think my motives for voting Misty were mostly fueled by 5-year-old nostalgia and memories than actual analysis, opps on my part. XP Psyduck isn't really battle active and from what we saw on the show Misty didn't know how to bring out his power non-situationally, but he definitely was the strongest member of Misty's team imo. This probably has something to do with him being one of my favorites Then we have Gyarados, who was definitely strong like all Gyarados are, but I don't think it's stronger than Clair's or maybe even Wake's respective Gyarados. Clair, I'm 100% positive has a superior Gyarados and both of their Gyarados got eaten by 1-2 Electric-type moves, iirc Trinity's Gyarados was defeated by a single Spike Cannon. All the strength in the world doesn't overrun a 4x disadvantage to electricity. Barely scraping by against the likes of pedestrian trainers like Georgio, Sakura(I think she beat Sakura?), and Marina wasn't anything impressive, though seeing her commanding Golduck like that was awesome and made me wonder how things would turn out if Psyduck wasn't a mascot. She was beaten pretty badly by Trinity and had an unresolved battle with Georgio who was strong imo.

May:Definitely the more "battle-orientated" Coordinator of the show. Blaziken was very very strong and without a doubt her powerhouse. Skitty was just kinda...meh. Haven't really seen anything out of Venusaur since she evolved, though she beat Harley's Cacturne and Cacturne/Banette with Beautfly's help, although I loved her pre-evolution she hardly battled and beating Harley isn't anything super impressive as something like beating Drew. Glaceon, I'd put on a middle tier. Like around the power-level of Dawn's Quilava. Wartortle beat Harley's Pokemon and took down a Flygon also beat a Scizor, he was definitely a strong Pokemon in his own right. Munchlax was strong *per say* we didn't really see May use him much at all however, his only notable win was with Eevee against Wigglytuff and Cacturne, shame since he was like my favorite of all of May's Pokemon. Beautifly was surely strong when it came to Contest battling, it did beat Zoey's Glameow.

Iris:She's definitely the most battle-orientated girl traveling companion of the show. Excadrill is no pushover and is very strong, pulling out a tie against Drayden's Haxorus and knocking out Pikachu just says that. Then we have Broken Barney who has the sheer willpower and stubbornness to laugh in the face of a double-weakness to Ice and one-hit KO fully-evolved Ice-types(abut Mamoswine was tossed around a lot and thrown like a rag toy). Emolga is like the Beautifly of Iris' team, Attract is mostly situational but then again Iris hardly relies on it. She did beat Stephan's Sawk who is definitely a strong Pokemon since he is Stephan's signature Pokemon and won the whole Clubsplosion and gave Krookodile a lot of trouble in the league. Axew is average because he hardly battles, but if that thing actually evolved into a Haxorus or even a Fraxure the show would be over. Seriously, Axew would be a beast if he evolved. With the way this show portrays Dragon-types as being Super Saiyan-level beast and the fact Iris is trying to specialize in them(Probably catching another in Episode N if she's going to take on the role of the Opelucid Gym Leader)I can now agree with those who claim Iris to be one of Ash's strongest companions, hell, possibly even the strongest abut shoddy writing at times. Like Masurao said, I could easily see Excadrill and Dragonite putting up with the likes of Ash's powerhouse reserves. The merchandising is already advertising Dragonite and Charizard together, so I think Dragonite is meant to be Iris' "Charizard."

Dawn:Buneary/Pachirisu were just kinda...meh. Quilava is middle tier and strong enough to answer Pikachu's attacks one-by-one, then again it might have just been a fun battle. Didn't see much out of Togekiss, but her Contest skills are obviously in a league of their own since she was in perfect sync with Dawn and Piplup against Zoey and helped bring Dawn so close to beating Zoey once in for all, battle wise she only KOed Yanmega and Seviper. Piplup and Mamoswine are both strong no doubt, Mamoswine's strength hasn't been demonstrated very well because it's forced to do Contest imo. If Dawn trained it for battles it might become a very strong Pokemon, but yeah his strength wasn't utilized too well because he was simply dealing with a situation were he wasn't a typical fit. I mean getting beaten up by the likes of Plusle and Minun as well as Flareon and Gabite isn't right, if Georgia's trained Beartic specifically for Busting Dragons couldn't beat Dragonite I had a feeling Dawn's Contest-trained Mamoswine sure as hell couldn't in a Power Battle.

Brock:Croagunk is possibly Brock's strongest, managing to get the drop on Paul's Torterra and beating Saturn's Toxicroak, amazing frog XD. Sudowoodo learned Hammer Arm and grew from a crybaby Bonsly into a strong Pokemon. Chansey was strong physically, but never did shit battle wise. Can't say for Geodude, Forretress, and Onix. They honestly were pretty average to me. Brock's brother's Rypherior definitely came off as much more stronger with going up against a Latias. He did evolve Onix into a Steelix. I don't *think* Ludicolo ever battled outside of TR battles, he took on Ash in a training battle as a Lotad & Lombre though. Marshtomp hardly did anything and was beaten by May's newly-hatched Eevee.

Cilan:Crustle is amazing, with Shell Smash he simply is unstoppable. I still think to this day if he used Shell Smash Trip's Serperior would have gotten wrecked. It's knocked out many strong Pokemon with Shell Smash and without a doubt is very strong. Pansage is strong in his own right as well. Stunfisk is meh.

Tracey:Er....Marill and Venonat. Well, I'm sure the writers were planning to evolve the former before they realized America was perfectly okay with Brock. Yeah Scyther! <3 I freaking so much respect for Tracey's Scyther. Hardly saw it battle, but without a doubt it is a true soldier. It's pretty old so Tracey can't push it too hard, the fact that the writers included an elderly Pokemon in the cast was so unique and interesting. Like I said, I'm pretty sure they tossed him Scyther because they were planning to evolve it into a Scizor when they went to Johto before they realized people were fine with Brock.

1.Iris(or/May)
2.May
3.Cilan/Dawn
4.Brock
5.Misty
6.Tracey in that order.

Last edited:

Misty:Her team for the most part was average. Goldeen, Horsea, Staryu, Starmie, Caserin, and Azurill were really nothing to write home about, this could be due to the fact we hardly saw the latter two battle.

We saw Caserin battling only once in chronicles against Butch and Cassidy Mightyena and Sableye doing pretty well defeating them along with Daisy Luvdisc.
Azurill was never engaged in battle seeing him only once in Misty latest cameo so i can't really comment on how strong they are.

Same goes for Starmie or Horsea. They were left at Cerulean too early never showing their true potential and what they are capable of. We only seen Starmie in handful of battles, such as for gym badge against Ash, against random trainer from school Joe when he defeated Weepinbell etc. Although generally Starmie are considered versatile and strong, so i believe he could be considered as one of Misty strongest pokemon. Assuming its being trained at gym.

Agreed about Goldeen, but Staryu was definitely among Misty best battlers imo being used the most both n OS and even afterwards using it in Mastermind special. Same goes for Politoad and Corsola.

Then we have Gyarados, who was definitely strong like all Gyarados are, but I don't think it's stronger than Clair's or maybe even Wake's respective Gyarados. Clair, I'm 100% positive has a superior Gyarados and both of their Gyarados got eaten by 1-2 Electric-type moves, iirc Trinity's Gyarados was defeated by a single Spike Cannon. All the strength in the world doesn't overrun a 4x disadvantage to electricity.

To be fair Dragonite has 4x disadvantage to ice types and as we have seen that hardly affected Iris Dragonite. There is more to type advantage/disadvantage in anime with pokemon which had disadvantage winning plenty of times because of being well trained or resistant, because their trainer used better strategy , because of luck factor etc.

Or because of counter moves neutralizing opponent techniques which would hurt them such as protect, dragon breath, recover etc.

Ash won at least one third of his battles with pokemon which had type disadvantage against other types.

Barely scraping by against the likes of pedestrian trainers like Georgio, Sakura(I think she beat Sakura?), and Marina wasn't anything impressive, though seeing her commanding Golduck like that was awesome and made me wonder how things would turn out if Psyduck wasn't a mascot. She was beaten pretty badly by Trinity and had an unresolved battle with Georgio who was strong imo.

Not sure what do you mean by barely scrapping? Misty had no problems in defeating Sakura and Georgio. In fact battle record was tied with Misty Corsola defeating Sakura Espeon once, while in rematch for gym badge in chronicles Sakura defeated Corsola.

Speaking of Georgio battle wasn't unresolved, Misty Corsola defeated his Delcatty.

Speaking of trainers she defeated there is also unofficial gym leader Dorian, Harrison or Andreas from Seaking contest and they showed to be actually strong trainers.
Either way i can agree about Trinity outclassing her, but first half of battle seemed pretty tied to me. Especially when Corsola turn tables around by leaving Trinity with only Chinchou.

Regarding topic:
In nutshell i still stand by my original opinion viewing Misty as one of strongest battlers among companions which traveled with Ash. We didn't seen her battle enough but when she did in many battles she showed to have wide knowledge and lot of talent with her pokemon bing well trained.

Of course in many people eyes she is viewed as "terrible" because she use mostly one type( by that standards gym leaders and E4 are bad too because of specializing in one type), but i disagree with such view with strength of trainer being evaluated by his skill , strategy and strength of their pokemon and not by why type they use.

Last edited:

Same goes for Starmie or Horsea. They were left at Cerulean too early never showing their true potential and what they are capable of. We only seen Starmie in handful of battles, such as for gym badge against Ash, against random trainer from school Joe when he defeated Weepinbell etc. Although generally Starmie are considered versatile and strong, so i believe he could be considered as one of Misty strongest pokemon. Assuming its being trained at gym.
I agree, Starmie might have been more impressive had we seen it battle more and it's true Starmie are very strong Pokemon in-game with very expansive movesets. Though based on what we saw of Starmie, it wasn't anything impressive. I'm not doubting that it might have been strong, but still we never saw its skills and we can only base its strength off what we saw.
Agreed about Goldeen, but Staryu was definitely among Misty best battlers imo being used the most both n OS and even afterwards using it in Mastermind special. Same goes for Politoad and Corsola.
I'd say without a doubt that Politoed, Corsola, and Staryu were the strongest of Misty's traveling team, mainly because those were the main ones she relied on.

To be fair Dragonite has 4x disadvantage to ice types and as we have seen that hardly affected Iris Dragonite. There is more to type advantage/disadvantage in anime with pokemon which had disadvantage winning plenty of times because of being well trained or resistant, because their trainer used better strategy , because of luck factor etc.
Well, true, Dragonite did have a ridiculous disadvantage to Ice. But, Dragonite for the most part was able to sponge those Ice-type attacks. I agree, there's definitely more to type advantage and disadvantage, but I don't think Misty's Gyarados would be able to resistant Electric-type moves. So far the only Pokemon in the whole show who can straight up resistant disadvantages or endure them have been Dragons, like Drayden's Druddigon, Dragonite, and Cynthia's Garchomp.
Or because of counter moves neutralizing opponent techniques which would hurt them such as protect, dragon breath, recover etc.

Ash won at least one third of his battles with pokemon which had type disadvantage against other types.
True, true. Strategy can make the difference in a battle no doubt and Ash is notorious for winning with disadvantages. Clair's Gyarados had a strategy to counter Electric moves, however Pikachu was able to break through the Dragon Breath defense and win. While it is true, Misty *could* come up with an Electric neutralizing strategy, like Cress' Panpour did for Pikachu, if Gyarados got tagged by an Electric-type move I don't think it would be stay in the battle for too longer.

Not sure what do you mean by barely scrapping? Misty had no problems in defeating Sakura and Georgio. In fact battle record was tied with Misty Corsola defeating Sakura Espeon once, while in rematch for gym badge in chronicles Sakura defeated Corsola.
Oh, I see, so I was half right. She lost to Sakura's Espeon in Chronicles and won against it in Johto.

Speaking of Georgio battle wasn't unresolved, Misty Corsola defeated his Delcatty.
Oh, crap, I meant Dorian. ^^;;
Speaking of trainers she defeated there is also unofficial gym leader Dorian, Harrison or Andreas from Seaking contest and they showed to be actually strong trainers.
Either way i can agree about Trinity outclassing her, but first half of battle seemed pretty tied to me. Especially when Corsola turn tables around by leaving Trinity with only Chinchou.
Yep, I remember Dorian, the battle was unresolved and I guess could be counted as a tie. Yeah, I almost forgot about Harrison, the trainer Misty's Corsola beat in the Whirlcup. I wouldn't necessarily call him anything powerful, but he seemed decently powered imo. Poliwhirl beating the Poliwrath trainer was definitely one of her better battles. Yeah, the first half was pretty even, Poliwhirl was curbstomped by Gyarados but Corsola defeated it and was defeated by Chinchou.

Of course in many people eyes she is viewed as "terrible" because she use mostly one type( by that standards gym leaders and E4 are bad too because of specializing in one type), but i disagree with such view with strength of trainer being evaluated by his skill , strategy and strength of their pokemon and not by why type they use.
I don't think that's it. I just think it's because for virtually all of her run, Misty was portrayed as being an average trainer. Although I like her, she didn't battle many notable trainer aside from Trinity or have a very convincing win record or beat anyone super impressive. She only ever beat Sakura who was a beginner, Marina(while controlling a wild Golduck), Georgio, and, like you said, Andreas the Poliwrath trainer through her own merits. Though she did beat Kingler and Lickitung thanks to Psyduck's headache-spawned Confusions,

I agree, Starmie might have been more impressive had we seen it battle more and it's true Starmie are very strong Pokemon in-game with very expansive movesets. Though based on what we saw of Starmie, it wasn't anything impressive. I'm not doubting that it might have been strong, but still we never saw its skills and we can only base its strength off what we saw.

Which is my point. Since we didn't saw much of it we don't really know his full move set, what he is capable to do and how much damage he could deal to opponent in battle. Knowing he has access to various diverse moves like psychic, ice beam, thunder creates material to form extremely powerful powerhouse out of it. So because of lack of info it can't be viewed as strong, but weak as well.

His status is pretty neutral due to lack of info.

Well, true, Dragonite did have a ridiculous disadvantage to Ice. But, Dragonite for the most part was able to sponge those Ice-type attacks. I agree, there's definitely more to type advantage and disadvantage, but I don't think Misty's Gyarados would be able to resistant Electric-type moves. So far the only Pokemon in the whole show who can straight up resistant disadvantages or endure them have been Dragons, like Drayden's Druddigon, Dragonite, and Cynthia's Garchomp.

And again because of lack of info not seeing Misty pokemon often in battle we can't form full picture on their strength, resistance and her skills as trainer.

Judging by other Gyarados im at least certain how one electric attack wouldn't be enough to beat it.

In comparison that Red Gyarados from Johto took several electric moves not falling down, although he was in rage mode so this was probably part of reason behind high resistance too.

True, true. Strategy can make the difference in a battle no doubt and Ash is notorious for winning with disadvantages. Clair's Gyarados had a strategy to counter Electric moves, however Pikachu was able to break through the Dragon Breath defense and win. While it is true, Misty *could* come up with an Electric neutralizing strategy, like Cress' Panpour did for Pikachu, if Gyarados got tagged by an Electric-type move I don't think it would be stay in the battle for too longer.

Judging by Gyarados overall resistance most of them came resist to one to two direct electric attacks because they get knocked out in anime, so even if Misty Gyarados receives electric hit he would still be able to continue battle. Judging by move set he showed his hydro pump and hyper beam are strongest moves being capable of knocking down opponent pokemon with on hit. Flamethrower can give him an edge when battling grass or bug types which showed to be of great help when defeating Colonel Hanson Shedinja in cameo.

This moves can be used as counter moves against thunder like Claire did with dragon breath, and there is also protect which can give him protection against electric moves.

But its not only Gyarados, with good strategy and smart choice of attacks Corsola , Politoad or Staryu could out up good fight having chance of winning as well.

I don't think that's it. I just think it's because for virtually all of her run, Misty was portrayed as being an average trainer. Although I like her, she didn't battle many notable trainer aside from Trinity or have a very convincing win record or beat anyone super impressive. She only ever beat Sakura who was a beginner, Marina(while controlling a wild Golduck), Georgio, and, like you said, Andreas the Poliwrath trainer through her own merits. Though she did beat Kingler and Lickitung thanks to Psyduck's headache-spawned Confusions,

Judging by comments i encounter on daily basis they are hardly objective, basing someone strength on how many fully evolved pokemon he has. Which doesn't mean a whole lot, if pokemon doesn't have much experience and trainer isn't skilled enough to properly use them. I don't care how many evolved pokemon someone has, because strength is measured through someone knowledge and skill with anime plenty of time showing how power often comes in small packages.

In comparison Brock battled even less than Misty did and didn't showed some extraordinary battle abilities with testament to his skills betting rusty being best showed lately when his brother Forest out up a lot better fight against inspector Joy than he did. In fact many battles Brock entered he lost, but people still put him as strongest because of many fully evolved pokemon rather than his skills.

Way i see it Misty showed to be pretty knowledgeable about battling showing some excellent moves and defensive tactics. She also has i believe more experience when it comes to real battles being gym leader and learning a lot during travels than May or Dawn do considering they are coordinators, and if she battled them i would give her higher chance. Just like i would give coordinators higher chance in contests, because of being more familiar with it.

Her Gyarados is strong knowing fire techniques which increase his usefulness against grass types, Corsola is partially rock having good defensive and offensive move set being able to stand against electric types. Politoad and Staryu are her most used and trained pokemon having lot of battling experience, while Starmie and Psyduck have massive potential just waiting to be explored. Especially duck knowing how strong his psychic moves can be.

Imo she has quite balanced team so far,and experience of trainer counts too with Misty being quite strong having notable achievements for such young age so far showing to have talent.
Like coming top 8 in Whirl Cup, winning tournament from Kanto, Alto mare race, taming Gyarados and saving gym ,defeating several older and more experienced trainers etc. I remember she showed some pretty impressive strategy in third movie and underwater battle against Molly.Or when she battled Harrison and Quilfish in Whirl Cup,Trinity and her Gyarados or Dorian and Mantine. She showed to know how to counter opponent strategy at times and turn it to her advantage.
She was also never much behind Ash always giving him run for his money when they battled and in water element showed to have more knowledge and skill than he did when Poliwhirl defeated Totodile or against Dorian with Ash admitting himself how he doesn't have much experience with underwater battles.

Not to mention it past 6 years last time we saw Misty in person,a lot could have changed in meantime.She probably gotten stronger due to training at gym,for all we know she could have went on some solo journey to learn new things and grow better(like Wallace did or Fantina at times does to develop new battling style). Or enter another Whirl Cup and win it advancing her goal of water master.

If i would make a list from stronger to weakest it would probably be along this lines:
1.May
2.Misty/ Iris.
3.Cilan
4.Dawn
5.Brock
6.Tracey

Last edited:

Which is my point. Since we didn't saw much of it we don't really know his full move set, what he is capable to do and how much damage he could deal to opponent in battle. Knowing he has access to various diverse moves like psychic, ice beam, thunder creates material to form extremely powerful powerhouse out of it. So because of lack of info it can't be viewed as strong, but weak as well.

His status is pretty neutral due to lack of info.
Except we don't know whether or not Starmie actually knows those moves, which is why I said, "based on what we saw of Starmie." Starmie only ever beat Ash's fairly green Butterfree and was going to be defeated by Pidgeotto until TR interrupted. Starmie also beat a Weepinbell owned by an inexperienced kid, but was later beaten by Giselle's Graveler easily. Starmie beat a wild Oddish with Water Gun. That's not impressive and from the info we have Starmie wasn't anything that shined brightly.

And again because of lack of info not seeing Misty pokemon often in battle we can't form full picture on their strength, resistance and her skills as trainer.
Except from what we do know and how Gyarados was portrayed we can easily tell.
Judging by other Gyarados im at least certain how one electric attack wouldn't be enough to beat it.
I don't think Gyarados would last long against Electricity period since, like I said before, every Gym Leader Gyarados has been knocked out by a few Electric moves. Wake's was by a Volt Tackle from Pikachu and then Clair's, who I'm sure has a superior Gyarados to Misty and Wake's, was by two Thunderbolts.
In comparison that Red Gyarados from Johto took several electric moves not falling down, although he was in rage mode so this was probably part of reason behind high resistance too.
I'll have to rewatch this ep again, I haven't seen it in a while XP I think Gyarados' raging and the fact it was the main problem of the episode were its reasons for not being defeated by the electricity.

Judging by Gyarados overall resistance most of them came resist to one to two direct electric attacks because they get knocked out in anime, so even if Misty Gyarados receives electric hit he would still be able to continue battle. Judging by move set he showed his hydro pump and hyper beam are strongest moves being capable of knocking down opponent pokemon with on hit. Flamethrower can give him an edge when battling grass or bug types which showed to be of great help when defeating Colonel Hanson Shedinja in cameo.
Well, I'm not doubting Gyarados is strong, Clair's Gyarados wasn't able to subdue Pikachu. Clair is the strongest Gym Leader of Johto in the anime, Misty I'm certain, is not the strongest Gym Leader of Kanto. Overall, while it is strong and had a viable moveset, I don't think it's an accurate comparison to something like Dragonite or Blaziken.
This moves can be used as counter moves against thunder like Claire did with dragon breath, and there is also protect which can give him protection against electric moves.

But its not only Gyarados, with good strategy and smart choice of attacks Corsola , Politoad or Staryu could out up good fight having chance of winning as well.
Well these things *could* happen, but we never saw anything impressive tbh from any of Misty's Pokemon in that regard.

Judging by comments i encounter on daily basis they are hardly objective, basing someone strength on how many fully evolved pokemon he has. Which doesn't mean a whole lot, if pokemon doesn't have much experience and trainer isn't skilled enough to properly use them. I don't care how many evolved pokemon someone has, because strength is measured through someone knowledge and skill with anime plenty of time showing how power often comes in small packages.
....I was never judging Misty on how many evolved Pokemon she has, we know evolution doesn't mean everything in this show.
In comparison Brock battled even less than Misty did and didn't showed some extraordinary battle abilities with testament to his skills betting rusty being best showed lately when his brother Forest out up a lot better fight against inspector Joy than he did. In fact most battles Brock entered he lost, but people still put him as strongest because of many fully evolved pokemon.
And I never made any comments about Brock, he battled less than Misty during their run together I agree.

Way i see it Misty showed to be pretty knowledgeable about battling showing some excellent moves and defensive tactics.
When did Misty show any really amazing tactics in battle? For most of those battles I rewatched, it was nothing but attack and attacking, in fact I'm pretty sure that's how most OS-era battles were written.

She also has i believe more experience when it comes to real battles being gym leader and learning a lot during travels than May or Dawn do considering they are coordinators, and if she battled them i would give her higher chance. Just like i would give coordinators higher chance in contests, because of being more familiar with it.
I don't really deal in on absolutes, Misty's mission in life is focused more on battles than Contest that's true though.
Her Gyarados is strong knowing fire techniques which increase his usefulness against grass types, Corsola is partially rock having good defensive and offensive move set being able to stand against electric types. Politoad and Staryu are her most used and trained pokemon having lot of battling experience, while Starmie and Psyduck have massive potential just waiting to be explored.
Gyarados is strong, Corsola, Politoed, and Staryu were nicely powered but nothing extraordinary at all in battle that makes them stand out. Saying Starmie and Psyduck have massive potential is like me saying Axew & Stunfisk but it doesn't change the fact they're still not anything super duper impressive in battle, at least Psyduck isn't without a headache.

I
mo she has quite balanced team so far,and experience of trainer counts too with Misty being quite strong having notable achievements for such young age so far showing to have talent.
Dawn and May placed highly in their Grand Festival, Dawn won the Whirlcup which brought trainers from all over the world, Iris got 99 wins and won the Club Battle, Dawn was a runner-up in the Tag Battle Tourney, May managed to make it to the semis in the Kanto GF. All trainers have "notable achievements" for young ages, Misty's aren't any special.

Like coming top 8 in Whirl Cup, winning tournament from Kanto, Alto mare race, taming Gyarados and saving gym ,defeating several older and more experienced trainers etc.
The movie race? A race. The Princess Tournament? I honestly can't say that tournament was anything impressive. Jessie made it to the finals and there were no notable trainers besides her and Misty, on top of that Misty was pretty much solely using Ash and Brock's Pokemon. Who are these "older and more experienced" trainers Misty defeated? I only remember beating Sakura(a beginner trainer), Georgio(who was around her age), Marina(around her age and while controlling a wild Golduck), Jessie(everyone beats her she's the bad guy), the Weepinbell kid in early Kanto, Harrison's Qwilfish.(He was a kid too) Honestly, has Misty ever beaten any impressive, notable trainers? I mean not one-shot COTDs, I mean something akin to Stephan, Drew, Nando, or heck even Kenny or Khoury or Lyra.

I remember she showed some pretty impressive strategy in third movie and underwater battle against Molly. Countering Mantine combination of Whirlpool and bubble beam with Staryu rapid spin in opposing direction was rather smart holding equal ground with it. Or when she battled Harrison and Quilfish in Whirl Cup,Trinity and her Gyarados or Dorian and Mantine. She showed to know how to counter opponent strategy at times and turn it to her advantage.
She used Rapin Spin to free Staryu, true. But she never used any strategy against Dorian, I just watched the battle and it was pretty much all direct attacking and attacking. Same thing with Trinity, Hyper Beam blasted through Poliwhirl's Bubble and then Corsola managed to dodge it and launch a Spike Cannon from underwater that knocked it out. She utilized Recover, which isn't a strategy so much it is just a move against Harrison and Dorian.

She was also never much behind Ash always giving him run for his money when they battled and in water element showed to have more knowledge and skill than he did when Poliwhirl defeated Totodile or against Dorian with Ash admitting himself how he doesn't have much experience with underwater battles.
I never thought Misty was close to Ash's skill level tbh. Togepi VS. Pikachu was a joke, Chikorita defeated Staryu despite being at a higher level according to Misty, and Poliwhirl was defeated by Bulbasaur. Poliwhirl's win over Totodile was not impressive in the slightest, Poliwhirl just straight up blasted Totodile with Bubble and defeated it with ease, there was no strategy.

Not to mention it past 6 years last time we saw Misty in person,a lot could have changed in meantime.She probably gotten stronger due to training at gym,for all we know she could have went on some solo journey to learn new things and grow better(like Wallace did or Fantina at times does to develop new battling style). Or enter another Whirl Cup and win it advancing her goal of water master.
Again, we're assuming things and not basing Misty's strength on what we know. Misty was never something impressive or amazing. She was treated as a pretty average trainer in the show overall. Has she ever battled against a trainer like Drayden, Maylene, or Skyla? Even May battled Brock and beat him with her newly hatched Eevee.

Last edited:

Except we don't know whether or not Starmie actually knows those moves, which is why I said, "based on what we saw of Starmie." Starmie only ever beat Ash's fairly green Butterfree and was going to be defeated by Pidgeotto until TR interrupted. Starmie also beat a Weepinbell owned by an inexperienced kid, but was later beaten by Giselle's Graveler easily. Starmie beat a wild Oddish with Water Gun. That's not impressive and from the info we have Starmie wasn't anything that shined brightly.

No, but in meantime with all training at gym he very likely could. Starmie entered very little battles during its short run being left at gym after only 60 episodes in cast. Few battles you counted doesn't prove anything because this pokemon never had chance to be used to full potential never showing everything it can. We saw only water gun and tackle being used from his side, and last time i checked pokemon can use more than two moves.

For record it wasn't Starmie which defeated Butterfree, but Staryu.

Except from what we do know and how Gyarados was portrayed we can easily tell.

And Misty Gyarados was portrayed as strong, resistant powerhouse judging by what was showed in "Cerulean Blues", "Togepi Mirage" and Mastermind special. Point?

I don't think Gyarados would last long against Electricity period since, like I said before, every Gym Leader Gyarados has been knocked out by a few Electric moves. Wake's was by a Volt Tackle from Pikachu and then Clair's, who I'm sure has a superior Gyarados to Misty and Wake's, was by two Thunderbolts.

Which is beside the point. What i said was how i don't think Misty Gyarados would be knock down after just one electric attack breaking down mindset of her Gyarados being weaker than majority of others showed in anime.

Well, I'm not doubting Gyarados is strong, Clair's Gyarados wasn't able to subdue Pikachu. Clair is the strongest Gym Leader of Johto in the anime, Misty I'm certain, is not the strongest Gym Leader of Kanto. Overall, while it is strong and had a viable moveset, I don't think it's an accurate comparison to something like Dragonite or Blaziken.

Neither they are to be honest. Blaziken was showed only in 2 battles in total, while Dragonite battled four times so far against trainers.

In comparison Gyarados was involved in two battles. There is no viable proof how May or Iris powerhouses are stronger than Gyarados and vice versa.

Well these things *could* happen, but we never saw anything impressive tbh from any of Misty's Pokemon in that regard.

If you ask me Corsola, Staryu or Poliwhirl showed some pretty impressive moves during their run, so did Gyarados. Not to mention they showed lot of battle spirit not giving up easily, something which often turn tables around in Ash case when his pokemon were on edge of defeat managing to turn tables around because of high willpower.

I was never judging Misty on how many evolved Pokemon she has, we know evolution doesn't mean everything in this show.

This wasn't directed toward you, but many people indeed evaluate someone strength by this criteria. Most of time arguments regarding Misty skills are along the lines "she has mostly un evolved pokemon meaning they are weak and are no match to May or Brock teams which are full of evolved pokemon". Another popular argument is "she is mono trainer, therefore she is weak to anyone who use diverse team". directly making logical fallacies because strength shouldn't be based by how many evolved pokemon you have or what type you use. But through skill of trainer and strength, flexibility his pokemon showed in battles.

When did Misty show any really amazing tactics in battle? For most of those battles I rewatched, it was nothing but attack and attacking, in fact I'm pretty sure that's how most OS-era battles were written.

And how were battles written in some show isn't valid indication to determine if someone is skilled or not. Lower quality of battles isn't credible display on which we can judge if someone was good trainer or not, and just like its case with other characters as battles in pokemon in general improved, so did Misty battles. As we can see in Johto, chronicles or AG cameos with battles being of higher quality compared to Kanto.

If Iris, May or Dawn were in anime at that time their battles wouldn't be of any higher quality either because that's how anime was written during OS era. Should we than also apply same standards for them and how they aren't skilled?
Ash battles from Kanto and Johto in comparison to DP battles were less detailed but that doesn't mean he was unskilled trainer back than either.

But even for back in day show standards Misty showed some impressive strategies in some battles such as against TR when Seal evolved, when taking advantage of Ash Bulbasaur taking some time to recharge for solarbeam almost defeating it with bubblebeam, against Molly in movie, against Harrison in Whirl Cup or Georgio and his Delcatty in hosos.

I don't really deal in on absolutes, Misty's mission in life is focused more on battles than Contest that's true though.

Being more focused on battles means your going to participate in more trainer battles than coordinators will which leads to higher experience in that field, your battle style being more raw and straightforward along with pokemon themselves being focused more on strength rather than elegance. Just like coordinators focus more on contests having more experience in such battles.

Gyarados is strong, Corsola, Politoed, and Staryu were nicely powered but nothing extraordinary at all in battle that makes them stand out. Saying Starmie and Psyduck have massive potential is like me saying Axew & Stunfisk but it doesn't change the fact they're still not anything super duper impressive in battle, at least Psyduck isn't without a headache.

Just like most pokemon in other character teams aren't extraordinary either, your point? Not sure what criteria someone pokemon would need to fulfill to be considered impressive by your standards, but in my eyes they were impressive.

Speaking of potential, point is how because of that someone who doesn't bring much on first glance can later develop in strong powerhouse if his inner strength is brought on surface. And going by Misty abilities as trainer she could definitely with hard work manage to achieve that eventually.

By now Starmie could be a beast given how much time it has passed last time we saw him in battle, and when taking in account how Psyduck psychic powers are unusually strong than its specific for such specie being capable of knocking down most resistant pokemon serves as indication how with some tuning and hard work unleashing true strength he could become formidable force to deal with.

For example Dawn Piplup, May Eevee or Ash Gible were hardly something to write home about until their true potential was extract on surface.

Dawn and May placed highly in their Grand Festival, Dawn won the Whirlcup which brought trainers from all over the world, Iris got 99 wins and won the Club Battle, Dawn was a runner-up in the Tag Battle Tourney, May managed to make it to the semis in the Kanto GF. All trainers have "notable achievements" for young ages, Misty's aren't any special.

Those achievements May, Dawn or Iris got aren't in any way more impressive than Misty accomplishments were. Nor this makes them stronger trainers than she is and vice versa,

The movie race? A race. The Princess Tournament? I honestly can't say that tournament was anything impressive. Jessie made it to the finals and there were no notable trainers besides her and Misty, on top of that Misty was pretty much solely using Ash and Brock's Pokemon. Who are these "older and more experienced" trainers Misty defeated? I only remember beating Sakura(a beginner trainer), Georgio(who was around her age), Marina(around her age and while controlling a wild Golduck), Jessie(everyone beats her she's the bad guy), the Weepinbell kid in early Kanto, Harrison's Qwilfish.(He was a kid too) Honestly, has Misty ever beaten any impressive, notable trainers? I mean not one-shot COTDs, I mean something akin to Stephan, Drew, Nando, or heck even Kenny or Khoury or Lyra.

Not sure why your so shocked, because winning in some race counts as achievement too and shows how resistant and strong swimmers your pokemon are. If anything that race reflected that Corsola was in great shape being trained well.
Speaking of Princess festival tournament from Kanto just because Jessie made to finals doesn't mean competition for tournament was weak. Otherwise going by that logic any ribbon Jessie won in contests or coming in querterfinalf of Sinnoh GF can also be used as indication how coordinators Dawn battled were "weak" when someone like TR member managed to come that far.

In fact Jessie showed to be rather decent trainer when shes not chasing after Pikachu with hundreds of females competing in Princess tournament for first place, making climb all the way to top anything but easy.

Fact that Misty used Ash and Brock pokemon there actually goes to her advantage, because it showed how she despite being water specialist is perfectly able to utilize in proper manner other pokemon types like electric, fire and grass serving as testament to her knowledge and strength as trainer. Controlling wild Golduck like it was hers against Marinas goes in her favor too, because during battle while she had powerful tool in hands it was Misty who came up with attacks and strategies winning through her own thinking.

Having powerful pokemon wont mean much if your not skilled. Something we had chance to witness plenty of times with Jessie or James when they used horribly Charizard or Blastoise in battle park from Johto, not knowing how to work as team and use good strategy with Charizard and Aggron against Ash and Brock when defending Pewter gym etc.

However Misty knew how to take advantage of Golduck and effectively counter Marina Psyduck and Starmie through good combination of attacks.

Speaking of experienced, strong trainers Misty defeated or was tied with? Let see we have Andreas from Seaking contest, Harrison from Whirl Cup(not sure how exactly middle age man counts as kid???), gym leader Dorian, Georgio, Colonel Hanson etc. I would probably put Marina there too being anything but beginner having rather strong pokemon as Tentacruel, Psyduck and Starmie showed.

She used Rapin Spin to free Staryu, true. But she never used any strategy against Dorian, I just watched the battle and it was pretty much all direct attacking and attacking. Same thing with Trinity, Hyper Beam blasted through Poliwhirl's Bubble and then Corsola managed to dodge it and launch a Spike Cannon from underwater that knocked it out. She utilized Recover, which isn't a strategy so much it is just a move against Harrison and Dorian.

Except she did. She used Goldeen fins to defelect Quilfish pin missile trying to counter take down with horn drill afterwards.
Against Mantine she relied on Corsola recover being her strategy to catch Dorian on surprise defeating Mantine afterwards.

Against Trinity she tried to counter hydropump with mirror coat, using to her advantage fact that Corsola dived underwater to evade hyperbeam making counterattack. Same goes for Chinchou, she tried to counter his electric attack with mirror coat and tried to get out from confusion beam by diving under water but it showed to be ineffective.

Against Harrison she knew how mirror coat is best counter to Quilfish water attacks since it deals double damage to opponent. When Quilfish was getting ready for pin missile she decided to counter it with spike cannon viewing it as best way to defend against it, etc.

Thats called strategy.

I never thought Misty was close to Ash's skill level tbh. Togepi VS. Pikachu was a joke, Chikorita defeated Staryu despite being at a higher level according to Misty, and Poliwhirl was defeated by Bulbasaur. Poliwhirl's win over Totodile was not impressive in the slightest, Poliwhirl just straight up blasted Totodile with Bubble and defeated it with ease, there was no strategy.

In battle for Cerulean badge Misty showed to be equal to Ash with battle ending in a tie. In Togepi tournament only reason Ash won was because Psyduck popped out ruining any chance for her.

In Totodile duel Ash used type advantage in all three matches with Misty being in unfavorable position when facing Pikachu,Chikorita and Bulbasaur. However despite that Staryu was on equal grounds with Chikorita regardless of type disadvantage almost defeating Ash pokemon with water gun if she didn't dug herself in ground with heals. In fact Staryu showed to be one step ahead until Ash used Chikorita vinewhip to dodge Staryu catching him on sirprise turning battle in his favor.
Against Bulbasaur Poliwag stood its ground with evolution giving him upper hand. We can see Bulbasaur tackle being overpowered thriough Poliwhirl body slam, his leaf attack was useless against its speed and Ash won solely through luck. Bulbasaur was on last legs being lucky to launch solar beam in last moment before bubbleberam would finish him, with Misty counting on that knowing how Bulbasaur require some time to charge.

In Whirl Cup Misty showed to be better trainer when using water types with higher position in prestige tournament reflecting that. Against Totodile Misty used strategy of dodge and counterattack to defeat Totodile using water to her advantage to escape from his long range attacks like water gun. Afterwards when Poliwhirl got close enough he was in favorable position having higher physical strength than Totodile had.Lot of people forget how before Psyduck popped out both of them were tied in skill with Misty Poliwhirl being stronger than Totodile winning on skill with Kingler tying result.

To add on whenever both battled same trainer in most cases Misty wasn't behind, like when winning against gym leader Dorian as opposite to Ash losing being better prepared for underwater battles. Misty always seemed to know more about pokemon,type advantage etc giving tips and criticism to Ash and his ignorance during original series. She seemed more experienced as trainer too and whenever they clashed they both seemed equal.

Again, we're assuming things and not basing Misty's strength on what we know. Misty was never something impressive or amazing. She was treated as a pretty average trainer in the show overall. Has she ever battled against a trainer like Drayden, Maylene, or Skyla? Even May battled Brock and beat him with her newly hatched Eevee.

Than we could say same thing about Iris for example when assuming she was strong trainer before meeting Ash going by 99 win record without taking in account if trainers she battled were weak or strong. This can work both ways.

You say Misty was average, unimpressive trainer?
-Defeating several years in row champion like Andreas,
-going all way to top in Kanto tournament passing through all trainers,
-controlling wild pokemon like they are her(such as Golduck),
-coming top 8 in prestige water tournament which gathers trainers from all parts of world like Whirl Cup,
-being on pair with gym leader,
-taming out of control pokemon earning its respect in much shorter period than Ash did with Charizard, Dawn with Mamoswine or Iris with Dragonite
-along with holding position of gym leader already at 10 are all qualities of strong, skilled and versatile trainer knowing how to adapt to unexpected situations and use them to her advantage.

Trainers you counted like Drayden, Maylene or Skyla doesn't prove nothing because since we didn't seen Misty battle them its unknown if she would be any less succesful than Iris, Dawn or Cilan were there. And for record May beating Brock is hardly something impressive when taken in account how whole Eevee win against Marshtamp was DEM being one of most inconceivable ways to make someone win.

Misty wasn't some superpowerful, one of a kind snowflake but she wasn't weak, pathetic excuse of trainer either showing skill, knowledge and talent displaying remarkable achievements and abilities at such young age. Hardly sopmething you can consider unimpressive.

And its not like Misty isnt growing stronger,so we dont really know how strong she currently is.Juding by her cameo in Hoenn when she brought Gyarados its safe to say how she is improving.

No, but in meantime with all training at gym he very likely could. Starmie entered very little battles during its short run being left at gym after only 60 episodes in cast. Few battles you counted doesn't prove anything because this pokemon never had chance to be used to full potential never showing everything it can. We saw only water gun and tackle being used from his side, and last time i checked pokemon can use more than two moves.

For record it wasn't Starmie which defeated Butterfree, but Staryu.
Again, that's why I said "what we saw of Starmie" we can't base Starmie's strength off assumptions, but we can from what we saw of the Pokemon. For the most part, Starmie wasn't too impressive.

And Misty Gyarados was portrayed as strong, resistant powerhouse judging by what was showed in "Cerulean Blues", "Togepi Mirage" and Mastermind special. Point?
I haven't seen "Cerulean Blues" in a long while, but there's nothing in those other two episode/special that makes me think Gyarados is highly resistant. It was defeated easily along with every other Pokemon in the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon Special and in Togepi Mirage it didn't do anything but blast a Shedinja with Flamethrower and defeat it with one move. The only reason this happened was because of Shedinja having very pitiful stamina.

Neither they are to be honest. Blaziken was showed only in 2 battles in total, while Dragonite battled four times so far against trainers.

In comparison Gyarados was involved in two battles. There is no viable proof how May or Iris powerhouses are stronger than Gyarados and vice versa.
No, not quite. Blaziken battled Sceptile to a draw, managed to take on Drew's very strong Absol, beat a Venusaur, etc. That in itself says a lot about Blaziken, though we never it battle much in its fully-evolved forms it has won and battled hard for May many times. We had the whole Junior Cup telling us how very powerful Iris' Dragonite was and it tossed Mamoswine like nothing and one-shotted a Beartic, went up against Legendary Pokemon, etc. Misty's Gyarados only ever battled that Shedinja and those three Tentacruel owned by those TR-look-a-likes.

If you ask me Corsola, Staryu or Poliwhirl showed some pretty impressive moves during their run, so did Gyarados. Not to mention they showed lot of battle spirit not giving up easily, something which often turn tables around in Ash case when his pokemon were on edge of defeat managing to turn tables around because of high willpower.
And "willpower" is something we see from every single trainer in this show. How many times have we seen Iris, May, Dawn, or Ash brought back from the brink of defeat by the magic of believing in their Pokemon? I don't see how Misty's case is special. Before you said how Misty could come up with this strategy to counter electricity or could do this certain strategy, but from what we saw of Misty and how she was treated along with her Pokemon in Johto, nothing makes me think Misty would do that. Again, we're assuming things rather than basing them off what we know and saw of Misty.

This wasn't directed toward you, but many people indeed evaluate someone strength by this criteria. Most of time arguments regarding Misty skills are along the lines "she has mostly un evolved pokemon meaning they are weak and are no match to May or Brock teams which are full of evolved pokemon". Another popular argument is "she is mono trainer, therefore she is weak to anyone who use diverse team". directly making logical fallacies because strength shouldn't be based by how many evolved pokemon you have or what type you use. But through skill of trainer and strength, flexibility his pokemon showed in battles.
Oh.

And how were battles written in some show isn't valid indication to determine if someone is skilled or not. Lower quality of battles isn't credible display on which we can judge if someone was good trainer or not, and just like its case with other characters as battles in pokemon in general improved, so did Misty battles. As we can see in Johto, chronicles or AG cameos with battles being of higher quality compared to Kanto.
So, we're just suppose to not count Misty's battles just because they weren't written up to scratch as future battles?
If Iris, May or Dawn were in anime at that time their battles wouldn't be of any higher quality either because that's how anime was written during OS era. Should we than also apply same standards for them and how they aren't skilled?
Ash battles from Kanto and Johto in comparison to DP battles were less detailed but that doesn't mean he was unskilled trainer back than either.
Actually, Ash used strategy quite a few times in his battle. Like battling Pryce and using the ice battle field to his advantage, having Cyndaquil use Flamethrower from above to break past Scyther's Swords Dance defense, or defeating Whitney's Miltank with his plan of using water, holes, and electricity. Misty has never done anything of that value in her battles.
But even for back in day show standards Misty showed some impressive strategies in some battles such as against TR when Seal evolved, when taking advantage of Ash Bulbasaur taking some time to recharge for solarbeam almost defeating it with bubblebeam, against Molly in movie, against Harrison in Whirl Cup or Georgio and his Delcatty in hosos.
Seal was a Team Rocket battle, right? Attacking Bulbasaur head-on with Bubble while its charging is most definitely not a strategy as much it is just attacking. Again, Misty had Staryu use Rapid Spin and spin out of the Whirlpool. I would have to rewatch the later two battles since i haven't seen either in a long while.

Being more focused on battles means your going to participate in more trainer battles than coordinators will which leads to higher experience in that field, your battle style being more raw and straightforward along with pokemon themselves being focused more on strength rather than elegance. Just like coordinators focus more on contests having more experience in such battles.
This is true, but in most of her battles Misty was portrayed as a pretty average trainer.

Just like most pokemon in other character teams aren't extraordinary either, your point? Not sure what criteria someone pokemon would need to fulfill to be considered impressive by your standards, but in my eyes they were impressive.
Honestly, Misty hardly used her Pokemon during her run, outside of TR. Goldeen only battled once against Dorian and was promptly KOed in short time. Togepi never battled, except against Pikachu. Staryu was hardly used, only battled Marina's Tentacruel,(Sorry, I don't count movies or specials since Mastermind most certainly is not canon)Chikorita, and Buttefree. Corsola only battled the Remoraid trainer(, Harrison the Qwilfish trainer, Dorian's Mantine, Trinity, and Shedinja. Psyduck won every battle by means of Confusion, Jessie, Ash, etc. Poliwhirl battled Bulbasaur, Trinity's Gyarados, Sakura's sister's Vaporeon, and Andreas.

Togepi:Wins(Pikachu) Loses(0)
Goldeen:Loses(Dorian's Qwilfish, Marina's Tentacruel)
Staryu:Wins(Marina's Tentacruel, Butterfree) Loses(Chikorita, Marina's Psyduck)
Corsola:Wins(Dorian's Mantine, Harrison's Qwilfish, Trinity's Gyarados, Delcatty) Loses (Trinity's Chinchou, Shedinja, Remoraid)
Politoed:Wins(Andreas' Poliwrath) Loses(Vaporeon, Trinity's Gyarados, Bulbasaur)
Gyarados:Wins(Shedinja, those three Tentacruel by those TR-ish trainers)

Has Misty ever beat the likes of something like a Haxorus or Flygon/Absol?
Speaking of potential, point is how because of that someone who doesn't bring much on first glance can later develop in strong powerhouse if his inner strength is brought on surface. And going by Misty abilities as trainer she could definitely with hard work manage to achieve that eventually.
Not really given she hardly did anything battle wise and her win-to-lose record wasn't very impressive at all.
By now Starmie could be a beast given how much time it has passed last time we saw him in battle, and when taking in account how Psyduck psychic powers are unusually strong than its specific for such specie being capable of knocking down most resistant pokemon serves as indication how with some tuning and hard work unleashing true strength he could become formidable force to deal with.
Again, with the assumptions. Iris' Axew could become a Haxorus, Dawn's Quilava could be a Typlosion, May's Wartortle could be a Blastoise.
For example Dawn Piplup, May Eevee or Ash Gible were hardly something to write home about until their true potential was extract on surface.
And we never got anything like that from any of Misty's Pokemon. Piplup turned into a powerhouse, Eevee wasn't strong at the beginning but ended up evolving into a Glaceon that really gave Piplup a hard time and clearly was very well-trained for Contest, it also beat Brock's much more experience Marshtomp. Gible was impressive, managing to go against Barry's Empoleon while tired after recently being caught and KOing two of Conway's Pokemon with Draco Meteor, the strongest Special Dragon move is impressive. We never saw anything in that vain with Misty.

Those achievements May, Dawn or Iris got aren't in any way more impressive than Misty accomplishments were. Nor this makes them stronger trainers than she is and vice versa,
I'm not trying to debate the value of her achievements, but collecting five ribbons and entering an important tournament is far more impressive than placing highly in the WhirlCup, a tournament that pretty much featured a bunch of no-name filler character. Achieving 99 straight wins when you technically aren't a trainer yet or being offered the position of being a Dragon Gym Leader by the strongest in Unova is leagues more impressive. Dawn and May just have a very fast learning curve and Iris was just portrayed as a prodigy just like she was in the game where all Elite Four members/Champions were portrayed as being in a league of their own, often experts from a young age. Misty was treated as a pretty average trainer her whole run.

Not sure why your so shocked, because winning in some race counts as achievement too and shows how resistant and strong swimmers your pokemon are. If anything that race reflected that Corsola was in great shape being trained well.
How does this reflect Misty's battle skills?

Speaking of Princess festival tournament from Kanto just because Jessie made to finals doesn't mean competition for tournament was weak. Otherwise going by that logic any ribbon Jessie won in contests or coming in querterfinalf of Sinnoh GF can also be used as indication how coordinators Dawn battled were "weak" when someone like TR member managed to come that far.

In fact Jessie showed to be rather decent trainer when shes not chasing after Pikachu with hundreds of females competing in Princess tournament for first place, making climb all the way to top anything but easy.
Yeah, the only reason Jessie made it to the finals in the first place was because she and Misty were the only important trainers, the rest of the tourney was a bunch of no-names. Even if I saw the Princess Tournament as anything impressive, which I really don't, Misty only made it far using Pokemon that weren't her own.

Fact that Misty used Ash and Brock pokemon there actually goes to her advantage, because it showed how she despite being water specialist is perfectly able to utilize in proper manner other pokemon types like electric, fire and grass serving as testament to her knowledge and strength as trainer. Controlling wild Golduck like it was hers against Marinas goes in her favor too, because during battle while she had powerful tool in hands it was Misty who came up with attacks and strategies winning through her own thinking.
Iris was able to use Snivy and Emmy's Druddigon, Ash has used Dawn's Piplup and Buizel well, Jessie used Croagunk to KO a Scizor, nothing about that makes me see Misty as an exceptional trainer. The Golduck was wild, that's the key thing. Barely scraping by with wins against run-of-the-mill trainers like Marina and Jessie isn't anything to write home about.
Having powerful pokemon wont mean much if your not skilled. Something we had chance to witness plenty of times with Jessie or James when they used horribly Charizard or Blastoise in battle park from Johto, not knowing how to work as team and use good strategy with Charizard and Aggron against Ash and Brock when defending Pewter gym etc.
Yeah, but Misty never showed any amazing usage of her Pokemon and even then they were all pretty average.
However Misty knew how to take advantage of Golduck and effectively counter Marina Psyduck and Starmie through good combination of attacks.
A very powerful wild Golduck that straight up overpowered Psyduck and Starmie with head-on Psyduck and Water attacks.
Speaking of experienced, strong trainers Misty defeated or was tied with? Let see we have Andreas from Seaking contest, Harrison from Whirl Cup(not sure how exactly middle age man counts as kid???), gym leader Dorian, Georgio, Colonel Hanson etc. I would probably put Marina there too being anything but beginner having rather strong pokemon as Tentacruel, Psyduck and Starmie showed.

Andreas the Poliwrath trainer okay, Harrison most certainly was not super strong, Dorian was most certainly not an official gym leader and the battle was left unresolved with them each having one win, Hanson's Shedinja was one-hit KOed by Flamethrower due to having 1 HP, Georgio was not extraordinary either. Has Misty ever battled or beaten/tied against something like Stephan or Trip?

Except she did. She used Goldeen fins to defelect Quilfish pin missile trying to counter take down with horn drill afterwards.
Against Mantine she relied on Corsola recover being her strategy to catch Dorian on surprise defeating Mantine afterwards.

Against Trinity she tried to counter hydropump with mirror coat, using to her advantage fact that Corsola dived underwater to evade hyperbeam making counterattack. Same goes for Chinchou, she tried to counter his electric attack with mirror coat and tried to get out from confusion beam by diving under water but it showed to be ineffective.

Against Harrison she knew how mirror coat is best counter to Quilfish water attacks since it deals double damage to opponent. When Quilfish was getting ready for pin missile she decided to counter it with spike cannon viewing it as best way to defend against it, etc.
Using Mirror Coat is not strategy in the same vain as something like Ash using something like Counter Shield. It's like claiming Ash using Attract as a strategy, improviser from normal moves are strategies and planning, Mirror Coat is not.

In battle for Cerulean badge Misty showed to be equal to Ash with battle ending in a tie. In Togepi tournament only reason Ash won was because Psyduck popped out ruining any chance for her.
No, Ash's Pigeotto was clearly winning until TR interrupted. The Togepi episode? The battle was just as much a joke as Togepi VS. Pikachu. I really don't think whatever Misty sent out would have beat Bulbasaur. Chikorita beat Staryu, I'm sure Bulbasaur could have done the same to Goldeen or Staryu, her two likely choices.
In Totodile duel Ash used type advantage in all three matches with Misty being in unfavorable position when facing Pikachu,Chikorita and Bulbasaur. However despite that Staryu was on equal grounds with Chikorita regardless of type disadvantage almost defeating Ash pokemon with water gun if she didn't dug herself in ground with heals. In fact Staryu showed to be one step ahead until Ash used Chikorita vinewhip to dodge Staryu catching him on sirprise turning battle in his favor.
Misty's Staryu was still beaten by a significantly less experienced Pokemon, she even said so herself.
Against Bulbasaur Poliwag stood its ground with evolution giving him upper hand. We can see Bulbasaur tackle being overpowered thriough Poliwhirl body slam, his leaf attack was useless against its speed and Ash won solely through luck. Bulbasaur was on last legs being lucky to launch solar beam in last moment before bubbleberam would finish him, with Misty counting on that knowing how Bulbasaur require some time to charge.
How did Ash win by luck? He Razor Leaf-one-hit KOed Poliwag and then used Solar Beam to do the same to Poliwhirl, Bulbasaur had the balls to stand against that barrage of Bubble attacks. It's not luck it's sheer strength.

In Whirl Cup Misty showed to be better trainer when using water types with higher position in prestige tournament reflecting that. Against Totodile Misty used strategy of dodge and counterattack to defeat Totodile using water to her advantage to escape from his long range attacks like water gun. Afterwards when Poliwhirl got close enough he was in favorable position having higher physical strength than Totodile had.Lot of people forget how before Psyduck popped out both of them were tied in skill with Misty Poliwhirl being stronger than Totodile winning on skill with Kingler tying result.
Dodging? Dodging equates to skills? Misty just straight up attacked and attacked and won like that. Uh, no, Psyduck would have lost if not for a Confusion-headache.
To add on whenever both battled same trainer in most cases Misty wasn't behind, like when winning against gym leader Dorian as opposite to Ash losing being better prepared for underwater battles. Misty always seemed to know more about pokemon,type advantage etc giving tips and criticism to Ash and his ignorance during original series. She seemed more experienced as trainer too and whenever they clashed they both seemed equal.
Again, we're going in circles. The Dorian battle was unresolved. I fail to see how beating pedestrian trainers like Marina and Georgio is impressive.

Than we could say same thing about Iris for example when assuming she was strong trainer before meeting Ash going by 99 win record without taking in account if trainers she battled were weak or strong. This can work both ways.
Except we've had two episode telling us that Iris was a very skilled trainer before meeting Ash. She trained and evolved a Drilbur on her own before she was officially even a trainer, she's one of the few trainers in this show to go to school. "Dragon Master School" of all things. Again, the writers portrayed Iris as being a whiz kid from a young age. Only other trainer I remember being like that was Flint who won his first Pokemon League when he was a little younger than Misty. Misty all her run has been portrayed as average.

You say Misty was average, unimpressive trainer?
Yes.
Andreas was decently powered.
-going all way to top in Kanto tournament passing through all trainers,
Beating a bunch of one-off trainers and Jessie is not impressive at all, let alone not with her own Pokemon.
-controlling wild pokemon like they are her(such as Golduck),
Iris controlled Druddigon and Snivy, Jessie controlled Croagunk, Ash used Piplup and Buizel. How is Misty's case as more feasible?
-coming top 8 in prestige water tournament which gathers trainers from all parts of world like Whirl Cup,
Dawn Grand Festival runner-up, May Grand Festivals, Iris Club Battle Tournament and being the strongest who entered a tournament hosted by Drayden in her village.
-being on pair with gym leader,
Dorian? That fake Gym Leader? Really?
-taming out of control pokemon earning its respect in much shorter period than Ash did with Charizard, Dawn with Mamoswine or Iris with Dragonite
Again, how is Misty's case anymore special? If anything the latter examples were more impressive because we saw them through a series of episodes.
-along with holding position of gym leader already at 10 are all qualities of strong, skilled and versatile trainer knowing how to adapt to unexpected situations and use them to her advantage.
She's a gym leader because she's a gym leader in the game, what does age have do with this? Tate and Liza are Gym Leaders too, Iris was offered the position of gym leader by the strongest one in Unova, how is Misty any special? She was already the gym leader before the series started anyway, she never earned that position.
Trainers you counted like Drayden, Maylene or Skyla doesn't prove nothing because since we didn't seen Misty battle them its unknown if she would be any less succesful than Iris, Dawn or Cilan were there. And for record May beating Brock is hardly something impressive when taken in account how whole Eevee win against Marshtamp was DEM being one of most inconceivable ways to make someone win.
Nah, Eevee was being beaten up until May had it run on a Water Gun and Tackle Marshtomp and gain the upper hand that's not nearly as DEM-ish as Iris' Axew's timely Outrage or Psyduck's Confusion. Misty has never battled trainers of that caliber, she's only ever battled a bunch of one-shot filler characters.
Misty wasn't some superpowerful, one of a kind snowflake but she wasn't weak, pathetic excuse of trainer either showing skill, knowledge and talent displaying remarkable achievements and abilities at such young age. Hardly sopmething you can consider unimpressive.
Misty's win-record was mediocre, and she was treated as a pretty average trainer her whole run. She was nothing to write home about.

And its not like Misty isnt growing stronger,so we dont really know how strong she currently is.Juding by her cameo in Hoenn when she brought Gyarados its safe to say how she is improving.
Again, these are assumptions. You don't think May is just eating cake or Dawn is just dressing up in the latest dress do you? If Misty can be assumed to be getting stronger every single other character can as well.

Last edited:

Andreas was decently powered.

Andreas was a Fishing Champion, that says nothing about his skills as a Pokémon Trainer, so beating him says nothing. Just sayin'.

-controlling wild pokemon like they are her(such as Golduck)

That was because Golduck was in love with her. I'm pretty sure any girl would succeed in controlling Golduck.

Again, that's why I said "what we saw of Starmie" we can't base Starmie's strength off assumptions, but we can from what we saw of the Pokemon. For the most part, Starmie wasn't too impressive.

If we can't base someone strength on assumptions, than you can't assume Starmie was weak either considering it never showed his true strength and what he can do revealing only total of two moves being in handful of battles. In nutshell insufficient data was present to form full judgment on it.

Making your statement of being "non impressive" invalidated since your making such assumption only on few isolated scenes, instead of taking in account Starmie full strength. Which once again was never showed being throw away from cast too soon.

Otherwise going by this logic we could also label May Venusaur or Ash Torterra as "weak" too considering how they didn't show nothing to write home about after evolution.

I haven't seen "Cerulean Blues" in a long while, but there's nothing in those other two episode/special that makes me think Gyarados is highly resistant. It was defeated easily along with every other Pokemon in the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon Special and in Togepi Mirage it didn't do anything but blast a Shedinja with Flamethrower and defeat it with one move. The only reason this happened was because of Shedinja having very pitiful stamina.

All Gyarados we saw so far in anime are resistant being capable of taking several strong hits, meaning same applies to Misty Gyarados. After all didn't we saw that same Gyarados resisting all three poison sting attacks from Tentacruel dealing with all of them at once? In Mastermind special when dr. Doom mirage pokemon like Zapdos, Articuno or Entei repelled Gyarados, Pikachu, Combusken etc attacks hitting them with their own being followed with Mewtwo barrage of attacks he was still capable of battling. So i suggest you rewatch 10th anniversary special again, because Gyarados was damaged but not defeated.

Speaking of Shedinja need i remind how we are talking about same pokemon which dominated over May, Ash and Brock pokemon not having any trouble in defeating them until Misty send out Gyarados. So no this attempt of downplaying Misty pokemon fails when taken in account how if it wasn't for blue snake they probably wouldn't stop Colonel Hanson.

No, not quite. Blaziken battled Sceptile to a draw, managed to take on Drew's very strong Absol, beat a Venusaur, etc. That in itself says a lot about Blaziken, though we never it battle much in its fully-evolved forms it has won and battled hard for May many times. We had the whole Junior Cup telling us how very powerful Iris' Dragonite was and it tossed Mamoswine like nothing and one-shotted a Beartic, went up against Legendary Pokemon, etc. Misty's Gyarados only ever battled that Shedinja and those three Tentacruel owned by those TR-look-a-likes.

It battled Absol and Venusaur as Combusken, with battle against Venusaur being along the lines of forced DEM victory taking up more attacks than he normally should. As Blaziken aside from tying with Sceptile over who he had huge type advantage and winning in one double battle through Piplup help it wasn't portrayed as any more impressive, stronger than Gyarados was. Speaking of Iris Dragonite majority of battles he won on his own, not through Iris guidance and skill so im not sure how much of merit his trainer should be given there.

Talking about Gyarados battles he defeated Shedinja which was portrayed as highly powerful giving hard time to Ash and co,. and managed to blast away all three Tentacruel with just one attack. Whether those trio brothers were weak or not individually, when you attack with three pokemon on one power of their strength multiplies outnumbering opposing side. Fact that Misty Gyarados not only defeated but dominated on them speaks for itself how it was anything but "weakling".

Therefore while Gyarados didn't showed anything to warrant be considered as stronger than other companion pokemon, it wasn't portrayed as any weaker than they are either.

And "willpower" is something we see from every single trainer in this show. How many times have we seen Iris, May, Dawn, or Ash brought back from the brink of defeat by the magic of believing in their Pokemon? I don't see how Misty's case is special. Before you said how Misty could come up with this strategy to counter electricity or could do this certain strategy, but from what we saw of Misty and how she was treated along with her Pokemon in Johto, nothing makes me think Misty would do that. Again, we're assuming things rather than basing them off what we know and saw of Misty.

No one ever said its more special, but if Misty pokemon possess same level of battle spirit than you can't consider them as inferior to May, Iris, Brock etc pokemon either.

Speaking of countering strategies, let see: She countered Mantine strategy of whirlpool and bubblebeam with Staryu rapid spin, countered Quilfish pin missile with Goldeen fins, learned Gyarados flamethrower to give him ability to counter grass and bug types.

As we can see through this examples, especially in Gyarados case Misty is teaching her pokemon how to counter opposing types and adapt to them. Therefore its safe to presume how she could come up with strategy to counter electric moves as well, being expected from someone who strive to become one type master to overcome his pokemon weakness.

So, we're just suppose to not count Misty's battles just because they weren't written up to scratch as future battles?

No but you can't use poorly written battles as evidence to go by in determining if Misty was skilled trainer or not, since her battles would be portrayed in different way if she was in anime during DP or BW era.

Actually, Ash used strategy quite a few times in his battle. Like battling Pryce and using the ice battle field to his advantage, having Cyndaquil use Flamethrower from above to break past Scyther's Swords Dance defense, or defeating Whitney's Miltank with his plan of using water, holes, and electricity. Misty has never done anything of that value in her battles.

And i already provided examples from Staryu, Corsola or Politoad battles which showed that Misty used strategy in some of her battles too displaying impressive knowledge and strategy.
Maybe not on Ash level, but she surely showed more as trainer than Brock, Dawn or Cilan did imo.

Seal was a Team Rocket battle, right? Attacking Bulbasaur head-on with Bubble while its charging is most definitely not a strategy as much it is just attacking. Again, Misty had Staryu use Rapid Spin and spin out of the Whirlpool. I would have to rewatch the later two battles since i haven't seen either in a long while.

There are different forms of strategy depending on trainer battle style what approach he is going to use. Using bubblebeam on exhausted Bulbasaur as counter measure to wear him down sooner before he could collect enough energy to launch solarbeam is called strategy. Same strategy we saw Ash using with Tauros against Drake Venusaur in Orange league attacking already tired pokemon to knock him down before he could fire solarbeam. Sounds familiar?

And Seal( Dewgong) battle against TR counts, because against who he battles is irrelevant not erasing fact that it was proper battle.

This is true, but in most of her battles Misty was portrayed as a pretty average trainer.

Define average. In many battles May, Dawn, Iris, Brock or Cilan didn't showed any more than average trainer would with real indication of their skill and strength being based on matches when they did something remarkable.

Something which applies to Misty just as much showing impressive move set and strategy in quite a few of her battles too being recognized as strong trainer, or her pokemon being viewed as especially powerful by several trainers out there. Such as Koga, Marina, Trinity, Dorian, Andreas, dr. Yung (in special he announced he intended to invite to his demonstration only skilled trainers) list continues.

Also whether Misty was average by your standards or not, it doesn't diminish fact how she is more experienced as trainer than other Ash companions i listed are.Since she showed just as much skill and knowledge in battles like Cilan, Dawn, May etc did.

Honestly, Misty hardly used her Pokemon during her run, outside of TR. Goldeen only battled once against Dorian and was promptly KOed in short time. Togepi never battled, except against Pikachu. Staryu was hardly used, only battled Marina's Tentacruel,(Sorry, I don't count movies or specials since Mastermind most certainly is not canon)Chikorita, and Buttefree. Corsola only battled the Remoraid trainer(, Harrison the Qwilfish trainer, Dorian's Mantine, Trinity, and Shedinja. Psyduck won every battle by means of Confusion, Jessie, Ash, etc. Poliwhirl battled Bulbasaur, Trinity's Gyarados, Sakura's sister's Vaporeon, and Andreas.

So if i understand right you view Misty as average, rather weak trainer because she didn't battled much in anime? That's not valid indication to base someone strength on because how skilled someone is shouldn't be determined on how often he battles not having control over writer actions. For record Brock battled even less than Misty did using his pokemon less often, but i don't see you label him as weak trainer.

Staryu:Wins(Marina's Tentacruel, Butterfree) Loses(Chikorita, Marina's Psyduck)
Corsola:Wins(Dorian's Mantine, Harrison's Qwilfish, Trinity's Gyarados, Delcatty) Loses (Trinity's Chinchou, Shedinja, Remoraid)
Politoed:Wins(Andreas' Poliwrath) Loses(Vaporeon, Trinity's Gyarados, Bulbasaur)
Gyarados:Wins(Shedinja, those three Tentacruel by those TR-ish trainers)

About Staryu you forgot to include defeat of TR Meowth there. But since i presume you don't count TR battles than often wins over Arbok, Weezing, Lickitung or Victreebel can't be took in consideration. Regarding Corsola you forgot her win over Seaking in preliminary rounds of Whirl Cup and she wasn't technically defeated from Shedinja. Same applies to Politoad and his win over Magikarp there, as well win over Ash Totodile. If it counts he defeated Corsola too, during capture.

Has Misty ever beat the likes of something like a Haxorus or Flygon/Absol?

And what this has to do with anything? Just because she didn't battled same pokemon other Ash companions did, doesn't mean she would be any less successful against them than May or Iris were. You can't base Misty strength on imaginary scenes which never happened, because writers never had her confront such pokemon.And viceversa.

Speaking of which Haxorous or Absol weren't any tougher pokemon to defeat than Trinity Gyarados which dominated whole tournament or Molly Mantine.

Not really given she hardly did anything battle wise and her win-to-lose record wasn't very impressive at all.

Except Misty trained and worked on battle skills, improved as trainer during her run and showed notable progress between her leaving and return in cameos. Also she had more wins than loses during her run being recognized as manageable and experienced trainer who showed quick thinking, great deal of knowledge and ability to adapt to unfavorable situation.

Back for in day pokemon standards Misty battle record can be considered as pretty good.

Again, with the assumptions. Iris' Axew could become a Haxorus, Dawn's Quilava could be a Typlosion, May's Wartortle could be a Blastoise.

They are not assumptions. Knowing Starmie general strength and flexibility Misty pokemon definitely has predispositions to be considered as such as well. And Psyduck already showed to be extremely powerful never technically losing battle. Meaning he has huge potential just waiting to be brought on surface.

And we never got anything like that from any of Misty's Pokemon. Piplup turned into a powerhouse, Eevee wasn't strong at the beginning but ended up evolving into a Glaceon that really gave Piplup a hard time and clearly was very well-trained for Contest, it also beat Brock's much more experience Marshtomp. Gible was impressive, managing to go against Barry's Empoleon while tired after recently being caught and KOing two of Conway's Pokemon with Draco Meteor, the strongest Special Dragon move is impressive. We never saw anything in that vain with Misty.

In Dawn team Powerhouse is Mamoswine, not Piplup. Regarding Glaceon it still lost to less experienced coordinator at that time and his win over Brock Marshtamp can hardly go in his favor when taking in account under what circumstances(aka forced writing) he won.

Somehow i fail to see how this examples can be considered as more impressive than Misty raise of Poliwag to powerful Politoad, Togepi growing in strong Togetic, Staryu becoming one of strongest members of her team etc.

I'm not trying to debate the value of her achievements, but collecting five ribbons and entering an important tournament is far more impressive than placing highly in the WhirlCup, a tournament that pretty much featured a bunch of no-name filler character. Achieving 99 straight wins when you technically aren't a trainer yet or being offered the position of being a Dragon Gym Leader by the strongest in Unova is leagues more impressive. Dawn and May just have a very fast learning curve and Iris was just portrayed as a prodigy just like she was in the game where all Elite Four members/Champions were portrayed as being in a league of their own, often experts from a young age. Misty was treated as a pretty average trainer her whole run.

Once again define average.
Average trainer would take years to come that far in competitions which Misty entered with many people failing and trying several times before winning some competition or coming very far in it.Average trainers wouldn't be able to beat much older people who have years of training and battling in their careers nor they would be able to make such big improvement in such short period of time.Only handful of people manage to do that.
For example when Ash came top 16 in Kanto everyone viewed it as huge success for a 10 year old boy being impressive.
Dawn coming to finals of GF on first try, Ash winning OI league, Misty coming top 8 in Whirl Cup or winning events like Princess festival on first try are indicators of this type of trainers having potential and talent which many other trainers lack.Why?

Because they manage to come that far and improve in much shorter period of time than many other much older trainers did improving at faster pace.This is quality of someone being above average.Only handful of people out of thousands of trainers or coordinators in world managed to do what Ash, Misty, May etc so far did despite being younger with their talent making up for lack of experience.

Fact that Misty was able to come among best 8 in big tournament which entered water trainers from whole world on first try, being able to become gym leader at such a young age, beating several experienced trainers like Andreas or Dorian who showed to be a challenge, winning various competitions like Princess festival or Seaking contest on first try etc were all pretty impressive achievements. Something it would take years for subpar trainers to achieve with many much older trainers having less success in such tournaments and competitions.

Whether you feel some of Ash traveling companions accomplished something of bigger value or not, it doesn't change fact that Misty was portrayed as something more than your typical run of a mill trainer.

Also your underestimating value of competitions Misty entered, while at same time giving more credit than deserved to achievements May, Dawn or Iris had. Entering Grand Festivals or defeating 99 COTD trainers about who we know nothing about is not something i would consider as more impressive than going to quarterfinals of tournament which was portrayed like some sort of water league for trainers who come from all parts the world to compete in it after every three years.

How does this reflect Misty's battle skills?

It reflects that she trained and raised her pokemon well with their resistance and speed showing they are in great shape. Which serves as indication that Misty knows how to train her pokemon properly and keep them in top form, which is quality of good trainer.

Yeah, the only reason Jessie made it to the finals in the first place was because she and Misty were the only important trainers, the rest of the tourney was a bunch of no-names. Even if I saw the Princess Tournament as anything impressive, which I really don't, Misty only made it far using Pokemon that weren't her own.

Just like during every contest battle where Dawn or May won ribbon were treated as the most important coordinators, every competition like pokeringer, sumo conference, thriathlon etc Ash won was treated as most important competitor etc. Your point? You cannot diminish value of some tournament just because characters of no importance were opponents there.

How many times we saw prestige tournaments being won by characters we hardly know something about such as Johto league being won by some Dickson, Whirl Cup being won by COTD with Feraligator, Kanto league being conquered by completely unknown trainer, Pokeathlon being won by some Daniel we hardly know much about etc along with gazillion of other tournaments main characters entered containing plenty of no name characters we hardly know much about.

Iris was able to use Snivy and Emmy's Druddigon, Ash has used Dawn's Piplup and Buizel well, Jessie used Croagunk to KO a Scizor, nothing about that makes me see Misty as an exceptional trainer. The Golduck was wild, that's the key thing. Barely scraping by with wins against run-of-the-mill trainers like Marina and Jessie isn't anything to write home about.

Difference between them is that Misty was able to beat dozen of trainers and win whole tournament by controlling other pokemon perfectly like they are her own. Something which wasn't exactly case with Ash, Iris or Jessie.
Your definitely missing the point in here. Misty is water type specialist dealing only with one type of pokemon most of time. Jessie, Ash, Dawn etc use all kind of pokemon types being used to them and how to use them efficiently. Meaning they will naturally have more experience in dealing with other types than on type specialist would. Fact that Mist showed to have knowledge and skill to battle with other types coming so far despite never using other type beside water before that is testament to her talent and versatility as trainer being highly skilled.
Name how many beginner trainers who for their whole life used only one type would manage to battle so good with different types despite not having any experience about them before that?

Also regarding Golduck, its common sense how its hard to control wild pokemon let alone use them in skilled way. However Misty managed to use wild pokemon efficiently winning through her own merit since she chosen what attacks and strategy to use.

For record Jessie perhaps isn't something to write home about, but Marina was certainly good trainer.

Yeah, but Misty never showed any amazing usage of her Pokemon and even then they were all pretty average.

Except she did. Staryu, Corsola, Gyarados or Poliwhirl comes to mind showing lot of knowledge and skilled use in some of battles i already counted before.

Its not my problem that you don't consider them as such having different standards.

A very powerful wild Golduck that straight up overpowered Psyduck and Starmie with head-on Psyduck and Water attacks.

Here ill quote myself:

Golduck was powerful pokemon, but it were Misty skills, choice of moves and knowledge which grant her win over Marina showing she has enough expertness and talent to put powerful tool to good use.

Andreas the Poliwrath trainer okay, Harrison most certainly was not super strong, Dorian was most certainly not an official gym leader and the battle was left unresolved with them each having one win, Hanson's Shedinja was one-hit KOed by Flamethrower due to having 1 HP, Georgio was not extraordinary either. Has Misty ever battled or beaten/tied against something like Stephan or Trip?

Andreas was one of hardest trainers Misty ever came against being hold in high regard among all competitors in Seaking contest, Harrison was definitely strong with Brock commenting how he knows a lot about water types like Corsola being old "sea wolf" which will be hard to defeat. Dorian was good enough to defeat Ash meaning he was anything but weakling, Hanson was basically un stopable until Misty Gyarados came into play and Georgio was actually portrayed as strong trainer giving Misty hard time and beating Casey.

Whether Misty battled someone like Stephan or Trip is irrelevant being called "raising bar higher"(logical fallacy) , because since we don't know how she would fare in battle against them valid opinion can't be formed out of it. Just like its case with Dawn, May or Brock who never battled them either.

Not to mention beating someone fairly average like Stephan isn't something to brag about, especially in comparison with trainers like Paul.

Using Mirror Coat is not strategy in the same vain as something like Ash using something like Counter Shield. It's like claiming Ash using Attract as a strategy, improviser from normal moves are strategies and planning, Mirror Coat is not.

Wrong, strategy is also planning which moves your gonna use to counter opposite attack and use it against himself .To dodge opponent attacks until you wear them down enough to lower their guard and strike back etc. Misty used mirror coat as way to deflect back water techniques from Quilfish side knowing how it deals double damage when reflected back.

Therefore this can be viewed as form of strategy.

No, Ash's Pigeotto was clearly winning until TR interrupted. The Togepi episode? The battle was just as much a joke as Togepi VS. Pikachu. I really don't think whatever Misty sent out would have beat Bulbasaur. Chikorita beat Staryu, I'm sure Bulbasaur could have done the same to Goldeen or Staryu, her two likely choices.

And Misty Staryu defeated Butterfree, meaning how both sides had one pokemon left to use ending battle in a tie. Ash wasn't any better in battle for badge. As far as Totodile duel goes Ash won more on luck, accident than anything else there with Poliwhirl clearly dominating in battle until solar beam was used as last resort to turn tables around.

Whole battle for Totodile regardless of Ash win was pretty close and tied until very last moment.

Misty's Staryu was still beaten by a significantly less experienced Pokemon, she even said so herself.

Because of surprise factor, not because Ash Chikorita was stronger which she clearly wasn't judging by what was displayed.

How did Ash win by luck? He Razor Leaf-one-hit KOed Poliwag and then used Solar Beam to do the same to Poliwhirl, Bulbasaur had the balls to stand against that barrage of Bubble attacks. It's not luck it's sheer strength.

Rewatch battle again. Bulbasaur and Poliwag were evenly matched in battle with water gun successfully countering Bulbasaur grass attacks until he jumped taking down Misty pokemon by surprise, not skill. Afterwards when it evolved in Poliwhirl Bulbasaur was at complete disadvantage with body slam overpowering his tackle, Poliwhirl agility easily dodging razor leaf with Ash pokemon being extremely tired. Something Misty was aware of using bubble beam as pressure to finish of duel before Bulbasaur could fire solar beam, knowing it will take some time before he recharges counting on collapsing because of exhaustion before he could launch attack.

Ash clearly won on luck there with only Bulbasaur extreme stubbornness and willpower keeping him in duel long enough to turn tide of duel in his favor. There was no skill or some extraordinary strategy involved from Ash side there at all with Misty being portrayed as pretty equal to him during whole match.

Dodging? Dodging equates to skills? Misty just straight up attacked and attacked and won like that. Uh, no, Psyduck would have lost if not for a Confusion-headache.

No, but dodging and using water surface to come closer to opponent where he couldn't attack anymore with long range attacks like water gun is indeed strategy.
Regarding Psyduck normally it would lose, but since Ash was stupid enough to forget about headache Misty rightfully took situation to her advantage winning properly. Ash was in reality portrayed as worse trainer there than she was, and if Psyduck didn't popped out with Misty using Corsola like she planned im sure Kingler would still lost.

Again, we're going in circles. The Dorian battle was unresolved. I fail to see how beating pedestrian trainers like Marina and Georgio is impressive.

Yet Misty fared better against him than Ash did. Also Marina and Georgio showed lot of knowledge and strategy during their battles being portrayed as strong trainers taking actual skill and good timing to defeat them. More so Georgio than Marina being portrayed as harder nut to beat but still.

Except we've had two episode telling us that Iris was a very skilled trainer before meeting Ash. She trained and evolved a Drilbur on her own before she was officially even a trainer, she's one of the few trainers in this show to go to school. "Dragon Master School" of all things. Again, the writers portrayed Iris as being a whiz kid from a young age. Only other trainer I remember being like that was Flint who won his first Pokemon League when he was a little younger than Misty. Misty all her run has been portrayed as average.

If we can use dialogue as proof to someone being skilled than we can play same card with Misty since several trainers during her travels viewed her as skilled, talented trainer. Whether its Marina from Orange Islands, Andreas, Sakura, Trinity or Dorian from Johto, Georgio or Casey from chronicles etc. You can't use examples from canon as support to fuel theory how Iris is skilled trainer, while disregarding every instance where Misty was portrayed or viewed as knowledgeable and talented trainer.

If you really need factual info from canon watch Whirl Cup because it explained how preliminary rounds serve purpose of getting rid of weak and average trainers.Or all those times when more experienced trainers like Marina, Trinity ,Dorian describing her as very skilled water trainer.
Also Misty last appearance showed that she is quite skilled as trainer with Max being fascinated with her Azurill and knowledge she showed.More than he was with May.

Beating a bunch of one-off trainers and Jessie is not impressive at all, let alone not with her own Pokemon.

Except canon showed how tournament contains hard competition with path to finals being anything but easy. Nevertheless we already went through this about using other pokemon. One type specialist using other types in such efficient way going all the way to top winning tournament on first try is indeed impressive if you ask me.

Iris controlled Druddigon and Snivy, Jessie controlled Croagunk, Ash used Piplup and Buizel. How is Misty's case as more feasible?

No one said it was, but if she can control other pokemon efficiently just like Iris, Ash etc can serves as pretty good indication how she is no less skilled and knowledgeable than they are.

Dawn Grand Festival runner-up, May Grand Festivals, Iris Club Battle Tournament and being the strongest who entered a tournament hosted by Drayden in her village.

And what you counted isn't more impressive than Misty achievements.

Dorian? That fake Gym Leader? Really?

He wasn't beguiler, but unofficial leader waiting for his gym to be authorized. Not to mention your forgetting Misty was better against him than Ash was.

Again, how is Misty's case anymore special? If anything the latter examples were more impressive because we saw them through a series of episodes.

Let see Misty managed to calm down out of control pokemon who was ready to wreck down whole gym and all people in it, reached to its heart and earned thrust and respect along with fixing cause of problem behind Gyarados disobedience in much, much shorter period of time than Ash could with Charizard, Dawn with Mamoswine or Iris with Dragonite.

That my friend was indeed more special since she showed enough knowledge, courage and determination to resolve issue of disobedient pokemon much quicker than other trainers did.

She's a gym leader because she's a gym leader in the game, what does age have do with this? Tate and Liza are Gym Leaders too, Iris was offered the position of gym leader by the strongest one in Unova, how is Misty any special? She was already the gym leader before the series started anyway, she never earned that position.

In order to be gym leader that requires high level of knowledge, skill and ability to adapt to unexpected situations reacting accordingly to them. All those qualities Misty possess being recognized as competent and talented trainer by inspector Joy from league committee passing her test.

Therefore her position as leader shows how she is indeed strong and competent trainer being above run of a mill trainer.

Judging Misty abilities only by her loses, whilr turning blind eye to achievements when she showed her true abilities, by lack of battles she entered or by how evolved her team is isn't valid way to judge someone skills and potential.

Nah, Eevee was being beaten up until May had it run on a Water Gun and Tackle Marshtomp and gain the upper hand that's not nearly as DEM-ish as Iris' Axew's timely Outrage or Psyduck's Confusion. Misty has never battled trainers of that caliber, she's only ever battled a bunch of one-shot filler characters.

It doesn't change fact how May win over Brock was "deux machina" with Eevee taking more attacks than he normally could with Brock leading whole time in match,just to have Eevee turn things in its favor somehow earning more points with worse strategy.

Also once again you can't base Misty strength on imaginary scenes which never happened, because writers never had her confront such trainers.
And how on world is May encounter against Brock or Iris against that kid with Golurk more impressive than Misty battles against trainer of high caliber such as Trinity who was runner up in Whirl Cup, Dorian or Andreas?

Your giving way too much credit to trainers Iris or May battled against. They weren't showed nearly as special like trainers i just counted.

Misty's win-record was mediocre, and she was treated as a pretty average trainer her whole run. She was nothing to write home about.

You forgot to add in my opinion. You failed to prove in any way that Misty was less skilled than May, Brock, Dawn, Cilan or Iris were downplaying achievements and trainers she defeated while giving way too much credit for my taste to challenges and people other Ash companions encountered. That seems to me more like use of double standards rather than anything else.

Perhaps she isn't on Ash level but she certainly showed more knowledge and skill or just about as much like Brock, Dawn or Iris did not being joke of a trainer like some people try to make it be.

Again, these are assumptions. You don't think May is just eating cake or Dawn is just dressing up in the latest dress do you? If Misty can be assumed to be getting stronger every single other character can as well.

No, but how fast trainer improves is pretty good indication of how skilled and talented he is. Just like May, Misty showed huge improvement after taking over gym taming Gyarados teaching it moves unexpected for water type such as fire attacks. She was able to win several competitions on first try or come very far at them, something which takes many trainers years to come that far with hr skills as trainer growing very rapidly as we can see in original series being incomparably better trainer in Johto than she was in Kanto as well coming few steps forward since than if her performance in hosos and AG cameos, specials was anything to go by.

p.s. This debate instead of getting shorter is becoming longer than needed. Pretty pointless too since i know by past experience how in discussion it very rarely happens that opposing side change opinion or come to some sort of semi agreement, compromise.

Andreas was a Fishing Champion, that says nothing about his skills as a Pokémon Trainer, so beating him says nothing. Just sayin'.

Being champion of some competition several years in row requires some skill and wide knowledge about water types and how to catch them. Not to mention we can see through battle against Misty Poliwhirl how he was actually pretty strong with Brock and Ash being skeptic about Misty chances of winning after seeing Poliwrath in action.

That was because Golduck was in love with her. I'm pretty sure any girl would succeed in controlling Golduck.

True but out of all girls including Marina Golduck choose her because it had faith in her abilities as trainer. It wasn't Golduck who won battle for her, but Misty herself deciding what attacks and strategy to use winning on her own merit.

Last edited:

Being champion of some competition several years in row requires some skill and wide knowledge about water types and how to catch them. Not to mention we can see through battle against Misty Poliwhirl how he was actually pretty strong with Brock and Ash being skeptic about Misty chances of winning after seeing Poliwrath in action.

Being Champion of a fishing competition won't require you to have wide knowledge about Water-type Pokémon since it was Seaking he was fishing for.

That's like saying that just because a person IRL is really good at fishing he must also have a wide knowledge of all kind of fishes or creatures in the sea, when all he really needs to know is how to fish. It's like saying that just because James is a scooping Master he knows a lot about different kind Water-types, which he doesn't. :p

Andreas specified on catchin Seaking, nothing else for all we know. He battled just like a regular Trainer, which Misty also is. There was really nothing about him that made him stick out as stronger than a regular Trainer.

True but out of all girls including Marina Golduck choose her because it had faith in her abilities as trainer. It wasn't Golduck who won battle for her, but Misty herself deciding what attacks and strategy to use winning on her own merit.

Hahahahaha, what? XD

Wasn't it just a coincidence? As Misty was picking up her bag in the water Golduck's head was stuck inside it. He didn't choose her or something, Misty just ambushed it with hugs and took for granted that it was her Psyduck. How did Golduck really choose her?

Being Champion of a fishing competition won't require you to have wide knowledge about Water-type Pokémon since it was Seaking he was fishing for.

That's like saying that just because a person IRL is really good at fishing he must also have a wide knowledge of all kind of fishes or creatures in the sea, when all he really needs to know is how to fish. It's like saying that just because James is a scooping Master he knows a lot about different kind Water-types, which he doesn't. :p

Andreas specified on catchin Seaking, nothing else for all we know. He battled just like a regular Trainer, which Misty also is. There was really nothing about him that made him stick out as stronger than a regular Trainer.

Your generalizing things in here. In order to be skilled fisher its required to have good knowledge about air currents, position of algae where water pokemon tend to habit and places where they will searching for food. Something which was stated by Misty in episode.

Being pretty good indication how Andreas wasn't only good at fishing one particular specie of pokemon( Seaking) but all kind of water types.
Same goes in real life, if your good at fishing you have pretty good chance of catching all kind of fish and not just specific one.

Further more he proved his battle abilities when his Poliwrath with ease was capturing other Seaking and releasing it away while Ash and Misty had trouble with Pikachu and Poliwhirl to catch even one. Something which especially came to expression during battle with Brock commenting how his Poliwrath is really strong not giving much chance to Misty.

To be champion of some competition multiple times in a row and to have fully evolved pokemon of remarkable strength requires some skill and training.

Hahahahaha, what? XD

Wasn't it just a coincidence? As Misty was picking up her bag in the water Golduck's head was stuck inside it. He didn't choose her or something, Misty just ambushed it with hugs and took for granted that it was her Psyduck. How did Golduck really choose her?

It didn't choose her directly, but it decided to stay with her and participate in battle because it trusted she had enough skill and abilities to let her command him. Skill of trainer isn't determined on how big and strong pokemon he has, but how effectively he will use them with Misty being more than enough up for this task having perfect control over fully evolved water pokemon.

Something Marina and others commented as well at end of episode.

Your generalizing things in here. In order to be skilled fisher its required to have good knowledge about air currents, position of algae where water pokemon tend to habit and places where they will searching for food. Something which was stated by Misty in episode.

Being pretty good indication how Andreas wasn't only good at fishing one particular specie of pokemon( Seaking) but all kind of water types.
Same goes in real life, if your good at fishing you have pretty good chance of catching all kind of fish and not just specific one.

Further more he proved his battle abilities when his Poliwrath with ease was capturing other Seaking and releasing it away while Ash and Misty had trouble with Pikachu and Poliwhirl to catch even one. Something which especially came to expression during battle with Brock commenting how his Poliwrath is really strong not giving much chance to Misty.

To be champion of some competition multiple times in a row and to have fully evolved pokemon of remarkable strength requires some skill and training.

And how exactly would knowing those things help him in battle? I never saw Andreas use any of that knowledge in battle, did you? That's only good for fishing.

The thing is that he has been training for this for years. Of course he'd catch the Seaking with ease, if he's been training for the specific profession for years then naturally he's good at doing it.

Nothing with Andreas made him stick out as a strongerer Trainer than usual. Having a Poliwrath is cool, with it being a fully evolved Pokémon and all, but nothing in his battle style implied for him to be something out of the ordinary.

It didn't choose her directly, but it decided to stay with her and participate in battle because it trusted she had enough skill and abilities to let her command him. Skill of trainer isn't determined on how big and strong pokemon he has, but how effectively he will use them with Misty being more than enough up for this task having perfect control over fully evolved water pokemon.

Something Marina and others commented as well at end of episode.

You're right. It didn't choose Misty, Misty chose it. Golduck just stood there and did nothing when she hugged it and really didn't seem to care much. How can you say that it decided to participate in the battle because it trusted Misty and had faith in her abilties when there was absolutely nothing in the episode that implied for that? Nothing. It just stood there, and then decided to battle because it obviously liked Misty, just like it liked those others girls at the end of the episode.

There's nothing that implied that only Misty would be the one to control it. I'm sure a completely new Trainer could control it as long it was a girl.

Besides, how was it visable that Misty used strategies? All she did was for call out Hyper Beam, then Starmie was defeated. Is that indicating to massive knowledge about Water-types to you? Clearly it was Golduck who won, not Misty.

Last edited:

And how exactly would knowing those things help him in battle? I never saw Andreas use any of that knowledge in battle, did you? That's only good for fishing.

The thing is that he has been training for this for years. Of course he'd catch the Seaking with ease, if he's been training for the specific profession for years then naturally he's good at doing it.

Nothing with Andreas made him stick out as a strongerer Trainer than usual. Having a Poliwrath is cool, with it being a fully evolved Pokémon and all, but nothing in his battle style implied for him to be something out of the ordinary.

First part of post wasn't referring to battle, but explaining how just because he was catching Seaking it can't be generalized how he is only good at catching one specific type of water pokemon.

Also way i see it as ordinary trainers Misty battled against you can consider Marcellus, Sakura or Marina not showing somthing spectacular, but Andreas showed to be in one league ahead of them being much tougher opponent to battle against and one of hardest one Misty met during travels.

Something which is beside the point, because it doesn't change fact how competition for which Andreas trains on daily basis working hard for it with many competitors out there trying to win it for years Misty won on first try proving she is excellent fisher but trainer as well. Since she defeated hardest opponent in his own game being more of a challenge when taken in account he managed to defend his title of champion for years.

You're right. It didn't choose Misty, Misty chose it. Golduck just stood there and did nothing when she hugged it and really didn't seem to care much. How can you say that it decided to participate in the battle because it trusted Misty and had faith in her abilties when there was absolutely nothing in the episode that implied for that? Nothing. It just stood there, and then decided to battle because it obviously liked Misty, just like it liked those others girls at the end of the episode.

There's nothing that implied that only Misty would be the one to control it. I'm sure a completely new Trainer could control it as long it was a girl.

Besides, how was it visable that Misty used strategies? All she did was for call out Hyper Beam, then Starmie was defeated. Is that indicating to massive knowledge about Water-types to you? Clearly it was Golduck who won, not Misty.

It was pretty self explanatory, common sense. If pokemon doesn't have enough faith in trainer abilities he won't listen to them or battle on his side. Something we had chance to see plenty of times in anime with Charizard , Mamoswine or Dragonite disobedience.

Just because Golduck liked Misty as well other girls, there is no evidence how he would accept to battle on other girl side as well, or that they would control him efficiently in battle like Misty did.

Also did i said anything about strategy? Your asking and answering instead of me, and for record it was Misty who decided what attacks to use, how to react to opposing moves and perform strike back. It wasn't Golduck who decided what attack and move set he is going to use against Marina Psyduck, Starmie tackle, light screen etc but Misty.

She was person who command what approach and attacks to use being one who won battle, not Golduck. He was just powerful tool, not deciding for himself there.

It was made clear in canon that it was Misty merit for winning that battle with Marina complimenting on her skills as trainer when she used fully evolved pokemon so well managing to defeat her.

First part of post wasn't referring to battle, but explaining how just because he was catching Seaking it can't be generalized how he is only good at catching one specific type of water pokemon.

Also way i see it as ordinary trainers Misty battled against you can consider Marcellus, Sakura or Marina not showing somthing spectacular, but Andreas showed to be in one league ahead of them being much tougher opponent to battle against and one of hardest one Misty met during travels.

Something which is beside the point, because it doesn't change fact how competition for which Andreas trains on daily basis working hard for it with many competitors out there trying to win it for years Misty won on first try proving she is excellent fisher but trainer as well. Since she defeated hardest opponent in his own game being more of a challenge when taken in account he managed to defend his title of champion for years.

Let's follow what we actually know, alright?

From what we saw Andreas was just a regular Trainer, because what did he do that was sticking out and proving that he was much stronger than the others?

In fishing he's definitely the better, but in battling? ...He's just fine, I guess.

It was pretty self explanatory, common sense. If pokemon doesn't have enough faith in trainer abilities he won't listen to them or battle on his side. Something we had chance to see plenty of times in anime with Charizard , Mamoswine or Dragonite disobedience.

Just because Golduck liked Misty as well other girls, there is no evidence how he would accept to battle on other girl side as well, or that they would control him efficiently in battle like Misty did.

Also did i said anything about strategy? Your asking and answering instead of me, and for record it was Misty who decided what attacks to use, how to react to opposing moves and perform strike back. It wasn't Golduck who decided what attack and move set he is going to use against Marina Psyduck, Starmie tackle, light screen etc but Misty.

She was person who command what approach and attacks to use being one who won battle, not Golduck. He was just powerful tool, not deciding for himself there.

It was made clear in canon that it was Misty merit for winning that battle with Marina complimenting on her skills as trainer when she used fully evolved pokemon so well managing to defeat her.

But it is so obvious that that's not the case here. We saw clearly how Golduck liked playing a hero role to impress on the girls, and it was so obvious that the only reason that he decided to listen to Misty was because she was a girl. It had nothing at all do with it having faith in her, because there was nothing that implied to that. And as long as you can't mention something that implies to that I will stand by my point. If Marina, or any other girl for that matter, had been the one to hug Golduck it would've battle for that girl if he thought she was pretty. That was the only thing with this episode, and that was why Golduck left for the other girls in te end of the episode.

In the battle with Starmie Misty gave it one command, a move that she had seen it use previously, and that was Hyper Beam. That was enough to end the battle. Anyone could've done that as long as it's a girl. Can you give me some kind of proof to show that any girl wouldn't have been able to do what Misty did with Golduck? Any?

Do you honestly think that when the writers created this episode, meant for comedy, they actually thought that Golduck would listen to Misty because she was an experience Water-type Trainer? Wasn't the whole point with the episode that Golduck only followed her because she was a girl? Think about it, it's so obvious.

And you did mention strategies, actually.

''It wasn't Golduck who won battle for her, but Misty herself deciding what attacks and strategy to use winning on her own merit. ''

The fact is that Misty only used one attack to take home the victory and used no strategies at all whatsoever proves my point. It was Golduck who won that battle, not Misty, because anyone would've used Hyper Beam after they saw how powerful it was against Team Rocket. I could've believed you if she actually used some strategical moves in that battle, but she didn't. Both of her battles were too short.

If we can't base someone strength on assumptions, than you can't assume Starmie was weak either considering it never showed his true strength and what he can do revealing only total of two moves being in handful of battles. In nutshell insufficient data was present to form full judgment on it.

Making your statement of being "non impressive" invalidated since your making such assumption only on few isolated scenes, instead of taking in account Starmie full strength. Which once again was never showed being throw away from cast too soon.

Otherwise going by this logic we could also label May Venusaur or Ash Torterra as "weak" too considering how they didn't show nothing to write home about after evolution.
Uh, no, not exactly. That's why I said for the most part, Starmie wasn't too impressive.from what we saw of it. Beating an Oddish is not impressive, being beaten by a Graveler and rather inexperienced Pidgeotto is not impressive. Grotle and Bulbasaur both showed to be somewhat good battler before evolutions, Turtwig being very strong and Bulbasaur being somewhat good. We saw neither from any of Starmie's battles.

All Gyarados we saw so far in anime are resistant being capable of taking several strong hits, meaning same applies to Misty Gyarados. After all didn't we saw that same Gyarados resisting all three poison sting attacks from Tentacruel dealing with all of them at once? In Mastermind special when dr. Doom mirage pokemon like Zapdos, Articuno or Entei repelled Gyarados, Pikachu, Combusken etc attacks hitting them with their own being followed with Mewtwo barrage of attacks he was still capable of battling. So i suggest you rewatch 10th anniversary special again, because Gyarados was damaged but not defeated.
You do know that no Pokemon was knocked out from that attack? And the special isn't even canon to the show either? Even then I don't see how surviving that attack says anything about Gyarados' endurance when every other Pokemon survived for the sake of the plot as well. I haven't seen the Cerulean Blues episode in a while, but surviving Poison Stings from three extremely incompetent trainers is not impressive and doesn't make me think Misty's Gyarados in any way has better endurance than any other Gyarados in this show.

Speaking of Shedinja need i remind how we are talking about same pokemon which dominated over May, Ash and Brock pokemon not having any trouble in defeating them until Misty send out Gyarados. So no this attempt of downplaying Misty pokemon fails when taken in account how if it wasn't for blue snake they probably wouldn't stop Colonel Hanson.
The only reason that happened was because the others didn't know that Shedinja's Wonder Guard ability could be bypassed by super effective moves, otherwise Swellow or Combusken would have sent that Bug into oblivion a long time ago.

It battled Absol and Venusaur as Combusken, with battle against Venusaur being along the lines of forced DEM victory taking up more attacks than he normally should. As Blaziken aside from tying with Sceptile over who he had huge type advantage and winning in one double battle through Piplup help it wasn't portrayed as any more impressive, stronger than Gyarados was.
Yes, it was, at least imo. Gyarados beats three pathetic Tentacruel and a Shedinja? Combusken beats an Absol, Venusaur, Grumpig, Vibrava, and ties against Ash's Sceptile for examples. Those three TR-look-a-likes are most certainly not skilled trainers. Whether or not you think Combusken's wins were DEM doesn't erase the fact that it showed to be a reliable and strong Pokemon many times.
Speaking of Iris Dragonite majority of battles he won on his own, not through Iris guidance and skill so im not sure how much of merit his trainer should be given there.
I never said that, I said that Dragonite is strong enough to single handily KO two Ice-types and try to take on Legendaries :p

Talking about Gyarados battles he defeated Shedinja which was portrayed as highly powerful giving hard time to Ash and co,. and managed to blast away all three Tentacruel with just one attack. Whether those trio brothers were weak or not individually, when you attack with three pokemon on one power of their strength multiplies outnumbering opposing side. Fact that Misty Gyarados not only defeated but dominated on them speaks for itself how it was anything but "weakling".
And we're going right back to the same thing before :p Beating three weak Tentacruel and a Shedinja is not impressive. That's like saying Pikachu or Chimchar knocking out multiple TR Pokemon on their own is impressive.

No one ever said its more special, but if Misty pokemon possess same level of battle spirit than you can't consider them as inferior to May, Iris, Brock etc pokemon either.

Speaking of countering strategies, let see: She countered Mantine strategy of whirlpool and bubblebeam with Staryu rapid spin, countered Quilfish pin missile with Goldeen fins, learned Gyarados flamethrower to give him ability to counter grass and bug types.

As we can see through this examples, especially in Gyarados case Misty is teaching her pokemon how to counter opposing types and adapt to them. Therefore its safe to presume how she could come up with strategy to counter electric moves as well, being expected from someone who strive to become one type master to overcome his pokemon weakness.
A movie mantine, goldeen being told to block a Pin Missile? Honestly, Misty's battling skills were not impressive. Teaching a Pokemon a new move says nothing about the strategic abilities of a trainer, many trainers in this show teach their Pokemon new moves to cover weaknesses, I don't see how Misty's is a standout.

No but you can't use poorly written battles as evidence to go by in determining if Misty was skilled trainer or not, since her battles would be portrayed in different way if she was in anime during DP or BW era.
But you're using Misty's battles yourself as a way of trying to show how you think Misty is a very strong trainer.

And i already provided examples from Staryu, Corsola or Politoad battles which showed that Misty used strategy in some of her battles too displaying impressive knowledge and strategy.
Maybe not on Ash level, but she surely showed more as trainer than Brock, Dawn or Cilan did imo.
I'm sorry, but Misty's strategic skills were not better than Dawn's.

There are different forms of strategy depending on trainer battle style what approach he is going to use. Using bubblebeam on exhausted Bulbasaur as counter measure to wear him down sooner before he could collect enough energy to launch solarbeam is called strategy. Same strategy we saw Ash using with Tauros against Drake Venusaur in Orange league attacking already tired pokemon to knock him down before he could fire solarbeam. Sounds familiar?
Attacking a Pokemon head-on is not a strategy, it's just attacking. Cilan's and Ash's tag battle against the heaven and earth siblings was a nice example of strategy.
And Seal( Dewgong) battle against TR counts, because against who he battles is irrelevant not erasing fact that it was proper battle.
Beating Team Rocket who always fails in a non-proper battle is something I don't count. If it was a definite one on one in proper form, like Carnivine VS. Mamoswine, yes.

Define average. In many battles May, Dawn, Iris, Brock or Cilan didn't showed any more than average trainer would with real indication of their skill and strength being based on matches when they did something remarkable.
Misty's win record and overall skills on the show show it all.
Something which applies to Misty just as much showing impressive move set and strategy in quite a few of her battles too being recognized as strong trainer, or her pokemon being viewed as especially powerful by several trainers out there. Such as Koga, Marina, Trinity, Dorian, Andreas, dr. Yung (in special he announced he intended to invite to his demonstration only skilled trainers) list continues.
Iris was viewed as great by Cynthia, Shobu, Drayden, Dawn was viewed as skilled by Wallace, May, a vast amount of OCs, May was viewed as great by the likes of Savannah, Drew, Harley, etc. and a few others, what makes Misty's case such a stand-out? Being viewed by filler OCs as a skilled trainer happens every episode in this show and does not make me think of Misty as a very exceptional trainer.
Also whether Misty was average by your standards or not, it doesn't diminish fact how she is more experienced as trainer than other Ash companions i listed are.Since she showed just as much skill and knowledge in battles like Cilan, Dawn, May etc did.
More experience doesn't not equate to being a better trainer. She most certainly did not show more skill than Dawn or May, Cilan is trudging ahead of her even with his recent battles.

So if i understand right you view Misty as average, rather weak trainer because she didn't battled much in anime? That's not valid indication to base someone strength on because how skilled someone is shouldn't be determined on how often he battles not having control over writer actions. For record Brock battled even less than Misty did using his pokemon less often, but i don't see you label him as weak trainer.
Yeah, somewhat, I do. Misty hardly battled and when she did she usually lost. I'm suppose to believe a very very very strong trainer has a mediocre win-record and barely did anything?

About Staryu you forgot to include defeat of TR Meowth there.
:I Think about this for a second. TR's Meowth. Team Rocket's. Meowth.
But since i presume you don't count TR battles than often wins over Arbok, Weezing, Lickitung or Victreebel can't be took in consideration. Regarding Corsola you forgot her win over Seaking in preliminary rounds of Whirl Cup and she wasn't technically defeated from Shedinja. Same applies to Politoad and his win over Magikarp there, as well win over Ash Totodile. If it counts he defeated Corsola too, during capture.
Psyduck's win's over Lickitung can be counted since it was a formal battle, yes. But, honestly, taking those into consideration Misty was still pretty average her whole run.

And what this has to do with anything? Just because she didn't battled same pokemon other Ash companions did, doesn't mean she would be any less successful against them than May or Iris were. You can't base Misty strength on imaginary scenes which never happened, because writers never had her confront such pokemon.And viceversa.

Speaking of which Haxorous or Absol weren't any tougher pokemon to defeat than Trinity Gyarados which dominated whole tournament or Molly Mantine.
I'm sorry, but Trinity is not more skilled than Drew and surely isn't more skilled than the strongest Unova Gym Leader. Again, it feels like you're grasping for straws if you're using Molly's dreamed up fake Mantine as an indicator that Misty's strong when every Pokemon was knocked out by her dreamed up Pokemon and Staryu most likely had it not cut away from the battle.

Except Misty trained and worked on battle skills, improved as trainer during her run and showed notable progress between her leaving and return in cameos. Also she had more wins than loses during her run being recognized as manageable and experienced trainer who showed quick thinking, great deal of knowledge and ability to adapt to unfavorable situation.

Back for in day pokemon standards Misty battle record can be considered as pretty good.
We never really got much canon-stated evidence or scenes where we see Misty training for me to buy she's been training off-screen her whole run. In BW we have scenes of Ash and Iris training their Pokemon regularly at the beginning or ending of episodes and canon-stated evidence theres been offscreen training. I can't buy Misty training if we don't actually see her doing so regularly and get a mention of it.

They are not assumptions. Knowing Starmie general strength and flexibility Misty pokemon definitely has predispositions to be considered as such as well. And Psyduck already showed to be extremely powerful never technically losing battle. Meaning he has huge potential just waiting to be brought on surface.
Iris' Axew and Ash's Scraggy have huge potential just waiting to be brought on the surface too. :p

In Dawn team Powerhouse is Mamoswine, not Piplup. Regarding Glaceon it still lost to less experienced coordinator at that time and his win over Brock Marshtamp can hardly go in his favor when taking in account under what circumstances(aka forced writing) he won.
Piplup won by an extremely small margin, Misty losing to green trainers like Sakura is just worse.
Somehow i fail to see how this examples can be considered as more impressive than Misty raise of Poliwag to powerful Politoad, Togepi growing in strong Togetic, Staryu becoming one of strongest members of her team etc.
Misty raised Togepi into a strong Togetic? XD Really? The thing was a paper weight its entire Johto run pretty much and hardly did much in Kanto either, the only training scene I remember was the Headbutt thing in the Orange Islands and that lead no wehre. Poliwag's evolution into Politoed seemed more like advertisement for Gold & Silver, regardless I can buy it as a good job at raising a Pokemon. Well, I can buy that Staryu was one of the strongest of Misty's team. :p

Once again define average.
Average trainer would take years to come that far in competitions which Misty entered with many people failing and trying several times before winning some competition or coming very far in it.Average trainers wouldn't be able to beat much older people who have years of training and battling in their careers nor they would be able to make such big improvement in such short period of time.Only handful of people manage to do that.
For example when Ash came top 16 in Kanto everyone viewed it as huge success for a 10 year old boy being impressive.
Dawn coming to finals of GF on first try, Ash winning OI league, Misty coming top 8 in Whirl Cup or winning events like Princess festival on first try are indicators of this type of trainers having potential and talent which many other trainers lack.Why?

Orange Islands, Ash earns four badges and.... Misty barely scrapes by with a win using a Golduck that wasn't hers against the likes of a run-of-the-mill trainer like Marina? Misty beats Jessie using Pokemon that weren't hers and Psyduck's Confusion-headaches?

Dawn is the Grand Festival runner-up her first time and Iris is offered the position of Gym Leader by the strongest in Unova.

Because they manage to come that far and improve in much shorter period of time than many other much older trainers did improving at faster pace.This is quality of someone being above average.Only handful of people out of thousands of trainers or coordinators in world managed to do what Ash, Misty, May etc so far did despite being younger with their talent making up for lack of experience.
Ash and May, yes. Misty no, she was portrayed average.

Fact that Misty was able to come among best 8 in big tournament which entered water trainers from whole world on first try, being able to become gym leader at such a young age, beating several experienced trainers like Andreas or Dorian who showed to be a challenge, winning various competitions like Princess festival or Seaking contest on first try etc were all pretty impressive achievements. Something it would take years for subpar trainers to achieve with many much older trainers having less success in such tournaments and competitions.
Actually, I just checked Bulbapedia. Misty came in the Top 16 in the Whirlcup, she only beat Ash because of Psyduck's Confusion too. Poliwhirl defeating a Magikarp in the Preliminary rounds is not impressive. Her only technical non-luck win was against Harrison in a 1 on 1 battle.
Whether you feel some of Ash traveling companions accomplished something of bigger value or not, it doesn't change fact that Misty was portrayed as something more than your typical run of a mill trainer.
Except she was, Misty's win-record and skills were average her whole run in comparison to others like May, Dawn, and Iris especially. The former two were portrayed as being fast growing trainers and the latter a prodigy.
Also your underestimating value of competitions Misty entered, while at same time giving more credit than deserved to achievements May, Dawn or Iris had. Entering Grand Festivals or defeating 99 COTD trainers about who we know nothing about is not something i would consider as more impressive than going to quarterfinals of tournament which was portrayed like some sort of water league for trainers who come from all parts the world to compete in it after every three years.
Yes, Grand Festivals require five ribbons they just don't let any street trainer in like the Whirlcup. Grabbing 99 straight wins while you're 7 or 8 and not officially a trainer and only being brought to your knees by a Dragon Master? Yes.

It reflects that she trained and raised her pokemon well with their resistance and speed showing they are in great shape. Which serves as indication that Misty knows how to train her pokemon properly and keep them in top form, which is quality of good trainer.
Again, all Water-types in this shows, sans, Psyduck have been shown to be good swimmers. It would be a real stepping stone for Misty's training if she had trained her Psyduck to actually swim.

Just like during every contest battle where Dawn or May won ribbon were treated as the most important coordinators, every competition like pokeringer, sumo conference, thriathlon etc Ash won was treated as most important competitor etc. Your point? You cannot diminish value of some tournament just because characters of no importance were opponents there.
Jessie was the runner-up, that says it all.

How many times we saw prestige tournaments being won by characters we hardly know something about such as Johto league being won by some Dickson, Whirl Cup being won by COTD with Feraligator, Kanto league being conquered by completely unknown trainer, Pokeathlon being won by some Daniel we hardly know much about etc along with gazillion of other tournaments main characters entered containing plenty of no name characters we hardly know much about.
Club Battles have an array of trainers who we know something about and even the one-shots have names and a bit of character explanations, the Princess Tournament did not have that.

Difference between them is that Misty was able to beat dozen of trainers and win whole tournament by controlling other pokemon perfectly like they are her own. Something which wasn't exactly case with Ash, Iris or Jessie.
Your definitely missing the point in here. Misty is water type specialist dealing only with one type of pokemon most of time. Jessie, Ash, Dawn etc use all kind of pokemon types being used to them and how to use them efficiently. Meaning they will naturally have more experience in dealing with other types than on type specialist would. Fact that Mist showed to have knowledge and skill to battle with other types coming so far despite never using other type beside water before that is testament to her talent and versatility as trainer being highly skilled.
Name how many beginner trainers who for their whole life used only one type would manage to battle so good with different types despite not having any experience about them before that?
I'm sorry, but Misty win record is mediocre and nothing about her skills from me rewatching old episodes makes me see her as highly talented.

For record Jessie perhaps isn't something to write home about, but Marina was certainly good trainer.
The whole battle was literally a one-hit KO fest. Pedestrian trainers like Marina are not on par with likes of Zoey.

Golduck was powerful pokemon, but it were Misty skills, choice of moves and knowledge which grant her win over Marina showing she has enough expertness and talent to put powerful tool to good use.
I'm sorry, but Misty showed zero skill in that battle. She just ordered Hyper Beam and overpowered Starmie's Light Screen and won via 1-hit KO.

Andreas was one of hardest trainers Misty ever came against being hold in high regard among all competitors in Seaking contest,
Well, I can believe he's one of the strongest Misty ever faced.

Harrison was definitely strong with Brock commenting how he knows a lot about water types like Corsola being old "sea wolf" which will be hard to defeat.
Harrison was not strong. Brock said he knew a lot about Corsola, not all Water-types.

Dorian was good enough to defeat Ash meaning he was anything but weakling,
He did beat Ash's Totodile while battling underwater. Misty's Goldeen was beaten as well and Corsola beat Mantine and the battle was left unresolved with no official winner.
Hanson was basically un stopable until Misty Gyarados came into play and Georgio was actually portrayed as strong trainer giving Misty hard time and beating Casey.
Unstoppable because of Wonder Guard? Because I'm sure that if any trainer knew about it they would have KOed Shedinja in little time. Georgio beat Casey's least experienced Pokemon, Elekid. That doesn't scream strong to me.

Not to mention beating someone fairly average like Stephan isn't something to brag about, especially in comparison with trainers like Paul.
Stephan is not average, his Sawk won the whole Clubsplosion and went through Bianca's strongest Emboar, Cilan's Pansage, and Edmond's Seismitoad like butter. Then went onto beat Montogomery, last year's champion's Throh, this is the same Pokemon that made quick work of Iris' Excadrill. Sawk also was gonna knock out Krookodile had not Leavanny's Swarm powered him up to wear down Sawk. Stephan is easily stronger than anything Misty has ever battled her whole run, Trinity is the strongest Misty ever faced imo.

And Misty Staryu defeated Butterfree, meaning how both sides had one pokemon left to use ending battle in a tie. Ash wasn't any better in battle for badge. As far as Totodile duel goes Ash won more on luck, accident than anything else there with Poliwhirl clearly dominating in battle until solar beam was used as last resort to turn tables around.
Solar Beam was not luck, Ash used it from the start and Bulbasaur, unlike Pokemon in DP and BW, had a very believable charge time for the attack. Togepi beating Pikachu via emotion is not the power of a skilled trainer. Pikachu would have smashed Togepi if he didn't have a brotherly attachment to it.

Rewatch battle again. Bulbasaur and Poliwag were evenly matched in battle with water gun successfully countering Bulbasaur grass attacks until he jumped taking down Misty pokemon by surprise, not skill. Afterwards when it evolved in Poliwhirl Bulbasaur was at complete disadvantage with body slam overpowering his tackle, Poliwhirl agility easily dodging razor leaf with Ash pokemon being extremely tired. Something Misty was aware of using bubble beam as pressure to finish of duel before Bulbasaur could fire solar beam, knowing it will take some time before he recharges counting on collapsing because of exhaustion before he could launch attack.

Ash clearly won on luck there with only Bulbasaur extreme stubbornness and willpower keeping him in duel long enough to turn tide of duel in his favor. There was no skill or some extraordinary strategy involved from Ash side there at all with Misty being portrayed as pretty equal to him during whole match.
I never said there was strategy, just like their was zero on Misty's part either. Except with Ash using Chikorita's Vine Whip the way he did against Staryu.

Yet Misty fared better against him than Ash did. Also Marina and Georgio showed lot of knowledge and strategy during their battles being portrayed as strong trainers taking actual skill and good timing to defeat them. More so Georgio than Marina being portrayed as harder nut to beat but still.

Georgio

Marina(Wild Golduck)

Jessie(Psyduck Confusion Headache :p)

Harrison

Hanson - Shedinja(WONDER GUARD 1HP :p)

Misty's wins. Do you honestly think these trainers are better than what Iris, May, and Dawn faced?

If we can use dialogue as proof to someone being skilled than we can play same card with Misty since several trainers during her travels viewed her as skilled, talented trainer. Whether its Marina from Orange Islands, Andreas, Sakura, Trinity or Dorian from Johto, Georgio or Casey from chronicles etc. You can't use examples from canon as support to fuel theory how Iris is skilled trainer, while disregarding every instance where Misty was portrayed or viewed as knowledgeable and talented trainer.
Iris was shown as being a prodigy trainer from a young age and we had 2 episodes screaming that in our faces, Misty was not. Being recognized as decent trainer by Filler OCs is not impressive.
If you really need factual info from canon watch Whirl Cup because it explained how preliminary rounds serve purpose of getting rid of weak and average trainers.Or all those times when more experienced trainers like Marina, Trinity ,Dorian describing her as very skilled water trainer.
Also Misty last appearance showed that she is quite skilled as trainer with Max being fascinated with her Azurill and knowledge she showed.More than he was with May.
Being interested in someone you just met >>>>> Being interested in someone you've known since you were a baby.

Except canon showed how tournament contains hard competition with path to finals being anything but easy. Nevertheless we already went through this about using other pokemon. One type specialist using other types in such efficient way going all the way to top winning tournament on first try is indeed impressive if you ask me.
Beating Jessie and filler OCs is not the hallmark of a powerful trainer, let alone with Psyduck's confusion.

No one said it was, but if she can control other pokemon efficiently just like Iris, Ash etc can serves as pretty good indication how she is no less skilled and knowledgeable than they are.
I don't count those wins for Ash, Max, Jessie, or Iris controlling other's Pokemon, so I certainly don't count Misty's.

And what you counted isn't more impressive than Misty achievements.
Princess Tournament, Whirl Cup Top 16, and winning a Seaking competition, keep in mind Andreas was the FISHING champ not the Battling champ. Definitely not impressive or in league with Dawn especially who was the runner-up of her first GF ever.
Let see Misty managed to calm down out of control pokemon who was ready to wreck down whole gym and all people in it, reached to its heart and earned thrust and respect along with fixing cause of problem behind Gyarados disobedience in much, much shorter period of time than Ash could with Charizard, Dawn with Mamoswine or Iris with Dragonite.

That my friend was indeed more special since she showed enough knowledge, courage and determination to resolve issue of disobedient pokemon much quicker than other trainers did.
Misty controlling her Gyarados is not more special than Ash doing the same for Charizard, Iris with Dragonite, or Dawn with Mamoswine since they had an arc. of episodes to do so especially.

In order to be gym leader that requires high level of knowledge, skill and ability to adapt to unexpected situations reacting accordingly to them. All those qualities Misty possess being recognized as competent and talented trainer by inspector Joy from league committee passing her test.

Therefore her position as leader shows how she is indeed strong and competent trainer being above run of a mill trainer.

Judging Misty abilities only by her loses, whilr turning blind eye to achievements when she showed her true abilities, by lack of battles she entered or by how evolved her team is isn't valid way to judge someone skills and potential.
Okay let's see Misty's achievements......she made it to the Top 16 in the Whirlcup and....um....she won the Princess Tournament with Pokemon that weren't hers as well Psyduck's headache Psychic powers and um....she beat a fishing champion. :p

It doesn't change fact how May win over Brock was "deux machina" with Eevee taking more attacks than he normally could with Brock leading whole time in match,just to have Eevee turn things in its favor somehow earning more points with worse strategy.
Eevee's win was not a "Deus Ex Machina".

A DEM refers to a sudden problem solver ending to a story, as if all of a sudden May found an Arceus Pokeball in her bag and it came out and revealed itself and killed the bad guy. Eevee was already established far prior to the episode and gained the upperhand with Tackle, a move it already knew.

The term "DEM" is slowly losing its meaning on this site.

Also once again you can't base Misty strength on imaginary scenes which never happened, because writers never had her confront such trainers.
And how on world is May encounter against Brock or Iris against that kid with Golurk more impressive than Misty battles against trainer of high caliber such as Trinity who was runner up in Whirl Cup, Dorian or Andreas?

Your giving way too much credit to trainers Iris or May battled against. They weren't showed nearly as special like trainers i just counted.
May was made out to be a trainer with a fast learning curve, Iris was made out to be a prodigy. Misty was made out to be average. Trinity & Ash are the only impressive trainers she ever battled against.

You forgot to add in my opinion. You failed to prove in any way that Misty was less skilled than May, Brock, Dawn, Cilan or Iris were downplaying achievements and trainers she defeated while giving way too much credit for my taste to challenges and people other Ash companions encountered. That seems to me more like use of double standards rather than anything else.

Perhaps she isn't on Ash level but she certainly showed more knowledge and skill or just about as much like Brock, Dawn or Iris did not being joke of a trainer like some people try to make it be.
Iris went up against Stephan, Drayden, and Ash, she beat Stephan and Ash and tied against Haxorus. She actually beat Ash in a non-sketchy way.(No Psyduck headaches) Dawn was the runner-up in her first GF ever and beat May and came close to beating Zoey. Misty never was made out to be little more than average her whole run.

No, but how fast trainer improves is pretty good indication of how skilled and talented he is. Just like May, Misty showed huge improvement after taking over gym taming Gyarados teaching it moves unexpected for water type such as fire attacks. She was able to win several competitions on first try or come very far at them, something which takes many trainers years to come that far with hr skills as trainer growing very rapidly as we can see in original series being incomparably better trainer in Johto than she was in Kanto as well coming few steps forward since than if her performance in hosos and AG cameos, specials was anything to go by.
Misty never showed huge improvement, May did and Dawn showed great improvement. Misty was average however in nearly all her battles.
p.s. This debate instead of getting shorter is becoming longer than needed. Pretty pointless too since i know by past experience how in discussion it very rarely happens that opposing side change opinion or come to some sort of semi agreement, compromise.
True, true XD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom