• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SV Leaks and/or Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trust critics are being sincere when they say there are technical flaws in the game. That doesn’t mean it won’t be enjoyable, and I don’t understand why some in this thread are acting like saying otherwise is a detriment. Both can be true, and I’m sure they are.
I agree. You can know if you enjoy a game only while playing it, so we have to wait till that moment for a verdict, but at the same time it's really sad to see that since SW/SH they keep releasing unpolished games. Like, instead of improving their games quality year after year, they've started this terrible trend of releasing a game even less polished than the one before. I mean, the most polished Switch Pokémon game is by far and paradoxically Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, the first game released on the Switch 4 years ago.
I'm honestly glad the critics are pointing this out, cause we need TPCi to take seriously this issue once and for all.

I agree. You can know if you enjoy a game only while playing it, so we have to wait till that moment for a verdict, but at the same time it's really sad to see that since SW/SH they keep releasing unpolished games. Like, instead of improving their games quality year after year, they've started this terrible trend of releasing a game even less polished than the one before. I mean, the most polished Switch Pokémon game is by far and paradoxically Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, the first game released on the Switch 4 years ago.
I'm honestly glad the critics are pointing this out, cause we need TPCi to take seriously this issue once and for all.
Yeah, at the rate things are going, it almost seems like TPC is waiting for Game Freak to release a truly broken mess before they even bother to give them more time on the games. And IIRC, wasn’t stuff like this one of the reasons Dexit happened when it did in the first place? If not, then what did we sacrifice a lot of previous mainstay features (including the full National Pokédex) for exactly?

I really hope TPC doesn’t wait to change their schedule or do something in regards to lengthening the development cycle of Game Freak’s games (or at least demanding more resources be poured into it) before their brand receives significant damage to their reputation. It’s clear that Game Freak is reaching their limits.

I think most of the reviewers might also have a bias because they review so many games and they jump from something made in a better engine to something made in the Pokémon engine and there's a stark diffrence. Of course something not made in a standard base engine isn't going to look great compared to something in Unity or Unreal. But like...most people aren't going to be that nitpick about graphics in a Pokémon game. Especially not a sandwich eating animation that would be very hard not to call out as phallic imagery in a kids game if it was any more realistic.

Also I still remember how people tried to pass off unpatched and boundary broken screenshots from SwSh as glitches that still existed. So I'm warry of random Twitter users posting things.

I think most of the reviewers might also have a bias because they review so many games and they jump from something made in a better engine to something made in the Pokémon engine and there's a stark diffrence. Of course something not made in a standard base engine isn't going to look great compared to something in Unity or Unreal. But like...most people aren't going to be that nitpick about graphics in a Pokémon game. Especially not a sandwich eating animation that would be very hard not to call out as phallic imagery in a kids game if it was any more realistic.

Also I still remember how people tried to pass off unpatched and boundary broken screenshots from SwSh as glitches that still existed. So I'm warry of random Twitter users posting things.
But a game’s engine being inferior is a pretty valid thing to criticize, no? Being in-house development doesn’t excuse the ultimately poor presentation. I don’t think anyone even necessarily wants more realism from the graphics. The worst parts of the games visually - from what I’ve seen - are the overly realistic textures on some models and the uncanny valley trainer models that stray from the series’ classic style.

Well, there's one thing I noticed about the leaks vs. reality. In the leaks, the first stage of the pseudo was named Arbolovia (according to Centro). Pokémon DB (https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/frigibax) says it is actually Frigibax. Interestingly, everything else holds up.

As for graphics, etc., not the biggest deal IMO. I'd rather the Mons, story, and everything like that to be good in order for me to call it a "good game." The only glitches I care about are those that can actually break the game itself, or cause it to stop working properly (I hear that the Lego games, for example, have bad bugs like that). In short, I don't care about the graphical bugs as long as everything else holds up.

Thanks for reading my novel.

But a game’s engine being inferior is a pretty valid thing to criticize, no? Being in-house development doesn’t excuse the ultimately poor presentation. I don’t think anyone even necessarily wants more realism from the graphics. The worst parts of the games visually - from what I’ve seen - are the overly realistic textures on some models and the uncanny valley trainer models that stray from the series’ classic style.
Not really? I mean not many people use in-house engines anymore and people kind of review them unfairly based on how much power and things that Unity and Unreal have.

And people wanted pokemon to be more realistic. This is probably just a fall out from it. Plus there's a lot of new character designers including the lady that designed Bayonetta.

Not really? I mean not many people use in-house engines anymore and people kind of review them unfairly based on how much power and things that Unity and Unreal have.

And people wanted pokemon to be more realistic. This is probably just a fall out from it. Plus there's a lot of new character designers including the lady that designed Bayonetta.
If a studio clearly has the resources to rely on an external engine but chooses instead to continue using their subpar internally-developed option, and then their game suffers significant performance issues, I don’t think the resultant reviews are unfair. We’re not dealing with a small indie studio that cannot simply update or replace their development engine. These games run the way they do because of Game Freak’s development choices.

To add on what others said, there are also plenty of others games made in custom/in house engines that work out great, that's not a problem.

Would also like to remind Pokémon is for all ages. And that previous demographic research done in this regard have indicated the majority of the fanbase is composed by teenagers and adults.

(Also, I know how nitpicky people on the internet can be when they want to try to defend their point of view, so it's good to leave this disclaimer too: I know already most of these "third party" demographic surveys have inaccuracies, but that result is including research done directly by Nintendo for several fiscal year reports (what on the other hand is serious business). So, despite the fact that one or another research could have been done in a dubious way, the general result is still convergent and clear. And it also seems to coincide with what we see on social media and alike.)

I could also quote several Masuda interviews, but I think just this one is enough (**, source is Lava: https://twitter.com/drlavayt).

But even if we were talking about a game made for children, that would not be an excuse to make it worse or to expect less.

Are we on Bulbagarden or 4chan? :confused: You know a lot of the nonsense they say there is just being said precisely because it's an anonymous/"shitpost" board, right?
As if I care what someone from NintendoLife thinks about it. If I enjoy the game and have a good time I couldn't give less of a fuck.
One person just said they didn't care about graphics, just about gameplay. Joker just related some reviews claim some of the reported issues also affect gameplay. Is there a need for or any utility into responding like that?
People are just too spoiled and entitled these days. It's unfortunately the harsh reality.
? You're joking, right? Expecting better from a product has nothing to do with "entitlement" or spoil.

On topic, I'm sure there will be a new patch that will fix at least some of those glitches. But reviewers can't rely on that, they must tell the truth about the game they're playing now/the game everyone will be playing on launch.

Last edited:
I think most of the reviewers might also have a bias because they review so many games and they jump from something made in a better engine to something made in the Pokémon engine and there's a stark diffrence. Of course something not made in a standard base engine isn't going to look great compared to something in Unity or Unreal.
I wouldn't necessarily describe this as a bias, so much as the reality of the sea in which modern Pokémon is swimming. There are likely many perfectly good individual reasons why SV (and SwSh, and PLA for that matter) might not look quite as glossy as the games they compete with on the shelf... but they do share that shelf, and a similar price point. Direct comparisons aren't always fair, but it's also not unreasonable for players and reviewers to have expectations based on other games they've played.

Just a me thing but it's always sad to see a game get a low score for things like preformance issues and bugs. Just because those are things that can be patched out but journalists dont usually go back to re-review games so the game forever has a lower score for something that is fixed.
It's on the developer/publisher to release a finished game. Reviewers are just telling readers what to expect from a game deemed ready for release.

Honestly, I've just accepted that this is how Game Freak is. They're very stubborn and stuck in their ways. They aren't going to listen. I've just accepted that the games will have problems at this point and still enjoy them. Only way there'd be real change is if they were bought by Nintendo or something or if they went back to 2D or something.

Last edited:
Well, while the bugs and glitches are definitely there, as well as some other things (like walking npcs in the distance moving "choppy" for example) which can leave a slightly bitter taste (depending on your personal standpoint about "game enjoyment), overall it's definitely fun so far (imo) - and besides being several hours in the game I'm on the low end of the level 20 range with my team because I waste a lot of time goofing around. All I really did is the first titan because I'm traveling around to try and catch my desired mon. Also caught like 3 or 4 of those sparkling Pokémon with a different terra type ^^

This is was I was referring to when I said choppy walking:
(imgur) Student walks down stairs (clip)

Performance while riding:
(imgur) Running, jumping, braking (clip)

Also I saw this:
2022111800315400-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

2022111800335000-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

Footage recorded on a Switch Lite.

Honestly, I've just accepted that this is how Game Freak is. They're very stubborn and stuck in their ways. They aren't going to listen. I've just accepted that the games will have problems at this point and still enjoy them. Only way there'd be real change is if they were bought by Nintendo or something or if they went back to 2D or something.
Pretty much. I'll only expect Game Freak to change is if a Pokemon main series game outright flops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom