• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

Does this mean Kadabra is a cocoon, or that the writer thinks that "All Middle Evolution Are Cocoon-Like"?
I'm no entomologist, but I believe cocoon is just a place where an insect transforms into its mature stage. Storing energy for evolution doesn't automatically make a Pokemon a cocoon in my opinion, it's just something that some cocoon Pokemon like Cascoon do, not a definitive cocoon trait. Kadabra storing energy for evolution doesn't mean its cocoon (it doesn't even look like one) nor that the writer thinks all middle evolutions are cocoons.
And as for Kadabra "levitating", does that refer to Teleport?
I think the entry would explicitly say Teleport if it were. I think this is just referring to the general idea that psychics can use their psychic powers to lift things.

Honestly hoping for a 3rd dlc. But With DP remakes being likely next year I had an idea. What if sword and shields 3rd expansion and DP remakes 1st are shared. As in weather you're playing swsh or dp remakes you'll go the same location: The battle resort now complete with the battle frontier (would love it if it combined both emerald and platnuims bf). That way its dp dlc while being a 3rd expansion for those who don't buy the remakes at all.
Apologies for my harshness but, no. Just, no. I'd imagine such a DLC would be very costly, probably in the range of $75, as you'd be coupling an expensive full game with relatively cheap DLC. If someone doesn't want DPPt remakes, why would they want to pay $75 for a DLC where most of the content is stuff they don't want? What about people who want DPPt remakes but don't care for SwSh or its expansion passes at all? They would have to pay something like $135 for content that would've costed them $60 ($120 for both versions) had DPPt remakes been a standalone game. This isn't even getting into the logistics difficulties of having a two-region game, balancing leveling in Sinnoh, the fact that there probably wouldn't be Sinnoh DLC, the possibility that Sinnoh would get severely shafted, etc. In my opinion, attempting to cram two games into one by tacking the second one onto a DLC is a terrible idea. I feel it would be a lose-lose situation for most people.

Apologies for my harshness but, no. Just, no. I'd imagine such a DLC would be very costly, probably in the range of $75, as you'd be coupling an expensive full game with relatively cheap DLC. If someone doesn't want DPPt remakes, why would they want to pay $75 for a DLC where most of the content is stuff they don't want? What about people who want DPPt remakes but don't care for SwSh or its expansion passes at all? They would have to pay something like $135 for content that would've costed them $60 ($120 for both versions) had DPPt remakes been a standalone game. This isn't even getting into the logistics difficulties of having a two-region game, balancing leveling in Sinnoh, the fact that there probably wouldn't be Sinnoh DLC, the possibility that Sinnoh would get severely shafted, etc. In my opinion, attempting to cram two games into one by tacking the second one onto a DLC is a terrible idea. I feel it would be a lose-lose situation for most people.

I think what @Fairy Type Arceus meant was that the first DLC for the Diamond and Pearl remakes could also be made available for Sword and Shield players. For example, if Sinnoh's Battle Zone was released as DLC, you could also add this area to Sword or Shield, but you'd still need a copy of the Diamond or Pearl remake to access the rest of Sinnoh.

Personally though, I'd be very annoyed if the Battle Zone, or anything else from the original Diamond and Pearl, was sold separately as DLC. Releasing just the Battle Frontier or Distortion World as DLC would be slightly more justifiable because they were always sold separately in the form of Platinum, but I wouldn't be happy about this either. I think the only DLC I could accept for remakes is completely brand new content that wasn't in the originals.

You know, I've gone through the game several times now, and all previous times, I've felt like they actually did a generally decent job of balancing the level curve with the perma-Exp. Share, but the run I'm currently playing right now is the first time I've tried doing the Isle of Armor stuff in conjunction with the main storyline, and I'm really feeling like the Exp. Charm is throwing things off. I'm at the 4th Badge, where the average level is 31-33 (with Bea just a touch above that), but my team is about to crack 40. I can only imagine how much more the Crown Tundra update will destabilize this.

I admit I have done a fair bit of camping as well, but I just don't think that's contributing as much as a constant 50% multiplier on Exp. gain.

I'm impatient and giddy so I'm hoping for an October release. For what it's worth, the last big DLC trailer we got, which announced the IOA release date (June 17), came out only two weeks before then (June 5).

Though I'm not expecting to see much information about things that we don't already know about. The Galarian Slowking reveal seems likely to me, and I don't really think there's much more to say about the Galarian Star Tournament than what's already on the site. I suspect it'll be more about Dynamax Adventures since those seem like one of the bigger draws; an actual co-op play mode is very new for the series.

However, all of that does still leave the question of those "Dream Matches" from the leaks.

Also, the main reason I want to see the black and white horses is because about a month ago I had what I would classify as a nightmare in which the "two steeds" actually turned out to be a pair of literal pickup trucks, and for some reason I still haven't quite been able to shake that thought. :oops:

I'm impatient and giddy so I'm hoping for an October release. For what it's worth, the last big DLC trailer we got, which announced the IOA release date (June 17), came out only two weeks before then (June 5).

Wasn't it already said before that it was supposed to be for November/December?

Wasn't it already said before that it was supposed to be for November/December?

They've never officially said anything more specific than Fall 2020.

There's been some listings that give Nov. 30, but that's likely a placeholder; as I recall there were similar listings for IOA before that date was announced. The official Nintendo site also only says by November 30.

Edit: Double-checked the page history on the Nintendo site and indeed, IOA was originally given a similar "by June 30" placeholder.

Last edited:
They've never officially said anything more specific than Fall 2020.

There's been some listings that give Nov. 30, but that's likely a placeholder; as I recall there were similar listings for IOA before that date was announced.

Ah, seems I got the placeholder in mind then. I hope it drops soon. Would help out massively seeing that there's a second Covid wave coming/going on in a lot of countries right now.

I feel like all they are going to reveal is the release date, I think it's a little too late to reveal anything huge at this point.

I feel like all they are going to reveal is the release date, I think it's a little too late to reveal anything huge at this point.
If they were only going to reveal the release date they could do it with a simple jpeg on social media. I feel like there wouldn't be a need for a dedicated livestream like this if they weren't going to give some more detailed information about the DLC content itself.

I just hope that we end up getting more than currently expected of us.

I really hope there's more to the Crown Tundra than the datamine leak implies. Having the majority of returning Pokémon be special Pokémon like legendaries & mythicals, fossils, and pseudo-legends rather than just having Pokémon that fit the region like Game Freak claimed they were doing just doesn't feel right in the context of Dexit. Also, Salamence shouldn't have been held back for as long as it was: it's practically the closest thing to a European Dragon we have! In addition, having new content not hidden in the datamine would at least show Game Freak trying to to prevent the datamine spoiling everything rather than simply scrubbing the new legends.

If not, then it makes me wonder why the code wasn't scrubbed more thoroughly. Is there is some sort of compatibility issue that requires Game Freak/s programmers to leave such code in the DLC?

My wild theory about Dream Matches is that at least some of them could be battles against former Champions. There's that moment in the Watts for Honey sidequest where she tries to arrange a battle with another region's Champion but is told that they don't want to come so far out just for a casual battle. Could just be a fruitless tease like the "Battle Frontier project has started!" thing, but consider that as of CT, all of the Pokémon (with one exception) that compose the Champions' traditional teams will be in the game.

Lance: Dragonite x3, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Charizard

Red: Pikachu, Lapras/Espeon, Snorlax, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise

Steven: Aggron, Skarmory, Cradily, Armaldo, Claydol, Metagross

Wallace: Ludicolo, Gyarados, Whiscash, Milotic, Tentacruel, Wailord

Cynthia: Spiritomb, Roserade, Togekiss (Gastrodon is also in but haha), Lucario, Milotic, Garchomp

Alder: Escavalier, Accelgor, Vanilluxe, Durddigon, Bouffalant, Volcarona

Iris: Hydreigon, Druddigon/Salamence, Haxorus, Lapras, Aggron, Archeops

Diantha: Hawlucha, Gourgeist, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Goodra, Gardevoir

The exception to this is Blue, who has everything except his Pidgeot, which does seem like a fairly significant omission since it's been on every one of his teams except for Yellow (which was a mess) and his most recent appearances in SM/USUM (for seemingly no particular reason) and LGPE (where Pidgeot is instead associated with Trace - by the way, other than that, all of Trace's 'mons are already in SwSh as well, but obviously nobody cares about him).

Additionally, all of Kukui's team members are in the game, though not all of Hau's are (with Crabominable - and Komala from SM, if that's relevant - being the last holdouts).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom